Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Hey Maxis. This is how you should respond to the community

13...Next

Comments

• Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Renato10 wrote: »
    Two words: ELECTRONIC ARTS

The Sims 4 was intended to be an online game like SimCity reboot from 2013. SimCity failed so let's put a 4 in the title and build upon it as long as we can and call it a day!
    They plan to again with the Sims 5.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Nikkih wrote: »
    How about, how some members in the community treat them?, personally attacking someone because of a game, yes the developers messed up with the sims 4 but they are fixing it, humans are allowed to make mistakes ( we're good at it), I would say maxis are getting better at talking to the community despite getting abuse by some, it's doesn't cost anything to be a decent human being, at the end of the day its only a game and if its not someones cuppa tea, people don't have to buy and support it, yes I understand some people frustration about the game but I'd say maxis is treating us better than how some treat them, my post isn't intended to be rude, unfortunately you can't get my tone of voice on text of how I'm saying this :-), it's how I personally feel about the topic

@Nikkih It depends on how you define "attack". Constructive criticism isn't attacking, especially for products people have paid for.

Also "one mistake"? The didn't just make one mistake, they have made dozens over the last 6 years with the game and also with how they react to constructive criticism.

And imo they are not trying hard enough to fix it at all. Look at games like Final Fantasy XIV, Cyberpunk 7077, No Man's Sky. These games made huge compromises and improvements in order to respond to criticism. EA didn't do 1% of that and kept making more and more mistakes for years after the release of the Sims 4.

When you make a mistake but still charge 60$ for that mistake, you should be ready to actually do a lot more to fix it and also know how to respond to the community in a better way without lying constantly and not being transparent.

Humans make more than one mistake and Humans are also impatient , yes constructive criticism is good, great even but that isn't what I'm talking about, for example I remember a while ago when 2 developers done a livestream someone made fun of a developer, they are game developers not professional YouTubers, the woman probably was nervous, the game is still in development and even if they added everything, they would always be someone not happy let's be honest there , you cant please everyone that's impossible @SimmerGeorge

@Nikkih Yeah but that's just bullying. There are always gonna be people who take it too far. You can be constructive and criticize something but there is no reason to get personal and attack or bully people. I agree that's not a good thing.

There's a fine line between constructive criticism and just being horrible, there's no excuse for that rudeness, I get that people are passionate about this franchise, I am too however I wouldn't let anything turn me into a nasty human being certainly not a game @SimmerGeorge
    Yeah I heard people attacking SimGuruPopcorn over wearing glasses. It isn't right. I find a lot of people treat the female Gurus very badly while they flirt with the male Gurus. Why I shake my head when people say that the Sims games should be made for women only when it is actually the most toxic games on the market towards women and the women that make the game. I am actually finding LOL community a lot friendlier than Sims has been which is sad considering what LOL is famous for. I do get attacked a lot for not being the stereotypical woman too because I do like things like sports and math and traveling. Why I hope that the Sims games start attracting a more modern audience of all backgrounds because the current audience isn't going to keep this franchise going. I notice a lot of the male Simmers get attacked too for playing the Sims which is sad. Why I like sticking up for them. Sims needs to have a more balanced audience again like during the Sims 3 had.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    Ray_TraceRay_Trace Posts: 509 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    Why I shake my head when people say that the Sims games should be made for women only when it is actually the most toxic games on the market towards women and the women that make the game.

Yeah, people who say the Sims should be made for women only are ludicrous, if there are any: it's like telling me, a woman, that games like Left 4 Dead 2 should be catered exclusively to men.

I strongly disagree with the idea that the Sims is the most toxic community for girls out there. A lot of shooting games such as Rainbow Six Siege or Left 4 Dead 2 has women getting harassed whenever they voice chat (especially if you watch the OMG a girl series on YouTube), people constantly calling them "grills", sexually harassing them, talking down on them, and begging for "their Instagram", and assuming they're 12 year old boys because they sound like them. Girls are rare to find online, most of them mute or lie about being prepubescent boys because of that type of harassment. Even online I had random guys trying to flirt with me, calling me a "gamer girl", and while it was cute, it just reeks a level of desperation. I don't think any of the Sim Gurus or female Sim YouTubers experienced this level of harassment that women receive in other games.

Even IRL when I attended a lounge for friendlies in Super Smash Bros. 4, while I was playing friendlies with another guy, people said "oh you're getting beaten by a girl" and while it was in friendly taste and all, this is all too common online when you venture out of the Sims.

I don't know what League of Legends is like for girls but the Riot Games studio itself was extremely notorious for gamer bro attitudes and toxic workplace against women to the point where they got sued. That's all my experience with it because I don't have much interest in competitive PvP which breeds general toxicity anyway.
    A1hnP0t.png
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Ray_Trace wrote: »
    Why I shake my head when people say that the Sims games should be made for women only when it is actually the most toxic games on the market towards women and the women that make the game.

Yeah, people who say the Sims should be made for women only are ludicrous, if there are any: it's like telling me, a woman, that games like Left 4 Dead 2 should be catered exclusively to men.

I strongly disagree with the idea that the Sims is the most toxic community for girls out there. A lot of shooting games such as Rainbow Six Siege or Left 4 Dead 2 has women getting harassed whenever they voice chat (especially if you watch the OMG a girl series on YouTube), people constantly calling them "grills", sexually harassing them, talking down on them, and begging for "their Instagram", and assuming they're 12 year old boys because they sound like them. Girls are rare to find online, most of them mute or lie about being prepubescent boys because of that type of harassment. Even online I had random guys trying to flirt with me, calling me a "gamer girl", and while it was cute, it just reeks a level of desperation. I don't think any of the Sim Gurus or female Sim YouTubers experienced this level of harassment that women receive in other games.

Even IRL when I attended a lounge for friendlies in Super Smash Bros. 4, while I was playing friendlies with another guy, people said "oh you're getting beaten by a girl" and while it was in friendly taste and all, this is all too common online when you venture out of the Sims.

I don't know what League of Legends is like for girls but the Riot Games studio itself was extremely notorious for gamer bro attitudes and toxic workplace against women to the point where they got sued. That's all my experience with it because I don't have much interest in competitive PvP which breeds general toxicity anyway.
    The boys do harass Simmer girls on social media too with Twitch, Twitter, Youtube, and Discord. Why the Sims 5 going online would be a bad idea. I have seen it myself. They tend to target the Sims channels more with much more crude comments than that knowing the target market is older women. It is quite sad really. Then again being a mod for those channels we tend to try to catch those type of behavioral issues right away. Especially for the bigger game changers with all the people that hit on them a lot. Plus I have been around when SimGuruKate got the blame for a male game changers behavior. There have been death threats towards Gurus before too. So yes it is worst than LOL. Been around with racial slurs thrown towards women too.
  • Options
    NikkihNikkih Posts: 1,758 Member
    edited May 2021
    How about, how some members in the community treat them?, personally attacking someone because of a game, yes the developers messed up with the sims 4 but they are fixing it, humans are allowed to make mistakes ( we're good at it), I would say maxis are getting better at talking to the community despite getting abuse by some, it's doesn't cost anything to be a decent human being, at the end of the day its only a game and if its not someones cuppa tea, people don't have to buy and support it, yes I understand some people frustration about the game but I'd say maxis is treating us better than how some treat them, my post isn't intended to be rude, unfortunately you can't get my tone of voice on text of how I'm saying this :-), it's how I personally feel about the topic

@Nikkih It depends on how you define "attack". Constructive criticism isn't attacking, especially for products people have paid for.

Also "one mistake"? The didn't just make one mistake, they have made dozens over the last 6 years with the game and also with how they react to constructive criticism.

And imo they are not trying hard enough to fix it at all. Look at games like Final Fantasy XIV, Cyberpunk 7077, No Man's Sky. These games made huge compromises and improvements in order to respond to criticism. EA didn't do 1% of that and kept making more and more mistakes for years after the release of the Sims 4.

When you make a mistake but still charge 60$ for that mistake, you should be ready to actually do a lot more to fix it and also know how to respond to the community in a better way without lying constantly and not being transparent.

Humans make more than one mistake and Humans are also impatient , yes constructive criticism is good, great even but that isn't what I'm talking about, for example I remember a while ago when 2 developers done a livestream someone made fun of a developer, they are game developers not professional YouTubers, the woman probably was nervous, the game is still in development and even if they added everything, they would always be someone not happy let's be honest there , you cant please everyone that's impossible @SimmerGeorge

@Nikkih Yeah but that's just bullying. There are always gonna be people who take it too far. You can be constructive and criticize something but there is no reason to get personal and attack or bully people. I agree that's not a good thing.

There's a fine line between constructive criticism and just being horrible, there's no excuse for that rudeness, I get that people are passionate about this franchise, I am too however I wouldn't let anything turn me into a nasty human being certainly not a game @SimmerGeorge
    Yeah I heard people attacking SimGuruPopcorn over wearing glasses. It isn't right. I find a lot of people treat the female Gurus very badly while they flirt with the male Gurus. Why I shake my head when people say that the Sims games should be made for women only when it is actually the most toxic games on the market towards women and the women that make the game. I am actually finding LOL community a lot friendlier than Sims has been which is sad considering what LOL is famous for. I do get attacked a lot for not being the stereotypical woman too because I do like things like sports and math and traveling. Why I hope that the Sims games start attracting a more modern audience of all backgrounds because the current audience isn't going to keep this franchise going. I notice a lot of the male Simmers get attacked too for playing the Sims which is sad. Why I like sticking up for them. Sims needs to have a more balanced audience again like during the Sims 3 had.

Most people actually need glasses those days, I hope those persons that made fun of her glasses need them one day, I have to wear glasses, I refused to wear my glasses at school as a kid because of small minded people, my eye sight got worse as an result so have to wear them all the time now, I don't care what people thinks of me and life made me have thicker skin but not everyone doesn't care like me, some people would get upset, being kind to someone cost's nothing and you would never know how your kindness could help someone, nobody is better than someone else, we're all here and we're all under the upper hand, we're all Human @Scobre
  • Options

Most people actually need glasses those days, I hope those persons that made fun of her glasses need them one day, I have to wear glasses, I refused to wear my glasses at school as a kid because of small minded people, my eye sight got worse as an result so have to wear them all the time now, I don't care what people thinks of me and life made me have thicker skin but not everyone doesn't care like me, some people would get upset, being kind to someone cost's nothing and you would never know how your kindness could help someone, nobody is better than someone else, we're all here and we're all under the upper hand, we're all Human @Scobre
    I have to wear glasses too and sorry you got bullied over it too. @Nikkih I think it bothered GrimSuruDoi too since he also wears glasses. SimGuruGraham does too. They are nice to wear especially computer glasses help protect the eyes. I had to get mine due to gaming. I didn't blink enough while playing Zelda Twilight Princess.
  • Options
    NikkihNikkih Posts: 1,758 Member

I have to wear glasses too and sorry you got bullied over it too. @Nikkih I think it bothered GrimSuruDoi too since he also wears glasses. SimGuruGraham does too. They are nice to wear especially computer glasses help protect the eyes. I had to get mine due to gaming. I didn't blink enough while playing Zelda Twilight Princess.

Yeah, some people can be cruel unfortunately, they find the slightest thing to be nasty about, when my eyes got worse due to caring what some people think ( one of my biggest mistakes), that's when I realised was it really worth it, my attitude as an adult is I dont wake up in the morning to please anyone, I wake up because I'm alive, some people just don't realise how their words and actions can impact someone else whether it's negative or positive, the worst things in life comes free to us, as I said we're all the same, we're all under the upper hand, but there's one thing good that is free kindness, someone showing kindness reminds us theres still good out there and we're on this scary,hard, amazing rollercoaster that is life together @Scobre
  • Options
    kwanzaabotkwanzaabot Posts: 2,440 Member
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    Lol I'm really confused. You want the sims team to cry in a video? 😅🤔

Who is crying in that video? That's just how that individual talks. Pretty rude to say something like that, IMO.

My apologies.So let me rephrase the question in a more polite manner 😄 you want the sims team to make a video full of emotion that makes it seem like they are about to cry?

I think the keywords here would be sincerity, humility and accountability

Yeeahhhh, I'll agree with this, more or less.
    I've worked in enough sales jobs and been involved in enough politics to know when the SimGurus are using pre-prepared talking points and sidestepping controversy.

Every Maxis Monthly, every time a Simguru responds (usually to a Gamechanger, never to us mere mortals) on Twitter, they're always overwhelmingly positive, and never actually speak from the heart.

Acting like human beings instead of salespeople would go a long way.
    wJbomAo.png
  • Options
    EA_LeelooEA_Leeloo Posts: 2,019 EA Staff (retired)
    edited May 2021
    Hey folks,

I had to remove some posts from this thread. Please keep in mind that topics like politics are not appropriate for the forum as per our forum rules:
    • Keep it game-related. We're not here to debate politics or religion or lobby for anything, so keep the conversation about our games.
    • Don't be a troll, bait or flame. This includes deliberately trying to cause an argument by making sarcastic, off-topic, rude or disruptive posts, and discussions.
    - Leeloo
  • Options
    Renato10Renato10 Posts: 472 Member
    Renato10 wrote: »
    Two words: ELECTRONIC ARTS

The Sims 4 was intended to be an online game like SimCity reboot from 2013. SimCity failed so let's put a 4 in the title and build upon it as long as we can and call it a day!
    They plan to again with the Sims 5.

Yeah... I'm not even excited anymore. If it wasn't the first three The Sims games, this franchise would be dead to me!