Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Custom holidays traditions

texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
I just watched this video with some nice examples of holidays and noticed that there are custom holidays traditions 😲 i know about custom traits, aspirations, club activities... but different holidays' traditions is something i wanted so much!
Do you use custom traditions? What are your favourites?

https://youtu.be/9lTK3RtozqY

Comments

• Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    texxx78 wrote: »
    I just watched this video with some nice examples of holidays and noticed that there are custom holidays traditions 😲 i know about custom traits, aspirations, club activities... but different holidays' traditions is something i wanted so much!

I replaced Santa in Winterfest with Hanukah and they sang carols. It was really lovely. Also got rid of the harvest gnomes.

• Options
    crocobaura wrote: »

I replaced Santa in Winterfest with Hanukah and they sang carols. It was really lovely. Also got rid of the harvest gnomes.

Oh i got rid of the gnomes too. Having to pick all those seed packets in the end was a hassle, specially in households where no one cares about gardening.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member

Oh i got rid of the gnomes too. Having to pick all those seed packets in the end was a hassle, specially in households where no one cares about gardening.

My sims care about gardening, but the 🐸🐸🐸🐸 gnomes were messing with their appliances. I used to just sell them before that.
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited March 2021
    Random Holiday Traditions , School Holiday , & More Holiday Icons by LittleMsSam.
    Make Hidden Holiday Traditions Selectable on MTS by a different creator.

I use all of these mods for every holiday I create.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    SimplyJen wrote: »
    Random Holiday Traditions , School Holiday , & More Holiday Icons by LittleMsSam.
    Make Hidden Holiday Traditions Selectable on MTS by a different creator.

I use all of these mods for every holiday I create.

Thank you @SimplyJen ! Mod shopping mood on 😊
  • Options
    EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member

Collect and open them all. The fruit, veggies and herbs are free groceries and the flowers make good gifts or can be used for the floristry bench or sold.
  • Options
    EmmaVane wrote: »

Collect and open them all. The fruit, veggies and herbs are free groceries and the flowers make good gifts or can be used for the floristry bench or sold.

Nice idea :) but anyway i really don't like the gnomes...
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    I love to have Winterfest Eve as well as Winterfest. For the eve, I have them put up their decorations and do the tree, clean the house, invite friends over and get in the festive spirit. Father Winter also appears. Then the day after they exchange gifts, have a sing-along round the tree and a grand feast. Then they will play out in the snow.

Irl it is my favourite event of the year and I'm happy I can let my sims do it too.

Being from the UK I also like to do Bonfire Night, but it usually ends up being a bit lame in game. They visit a park and gather round the bonfire for stories, grill some baked potatoes, play with sparklers and set off fireworks. But no other sims ever come and join in. I'd love there to be crowds like irl. I guess I ought to try and time it with whichever festival does the fireworks and go there.
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,974 Member
    edited April 2021
    I love to have Winterfest Eve as well as Winterfest. For the eve, I have them put up their decorations and do the tree, clean the house, invite friends over and get in the festive spirit. Father Winter also appears. Then the day after they exchange gifts, have a sing-along round the tree and a grand feast. Then they will play out in the snow.

Irl it is my favourite event of the year and I'm happy I can let my sims do it too.

Being from the UK I also like to do Bonfire Night, but it usually ends up being a bit lame in game. They visit a park and gather round the bonfire for stories, grill some baked potatoes, play with sparklers and set off fireworks. But no other sims ever come and join in. I'd love there to be crowds like irl. I guess I ought to try and time it with whichever festival does the fireworks and go there.

I call mine Christmas and Christmas Eve, I invite family over both days, Christmas Eve I have them exchange gifts at night, during the morning the mother does some baking, while the rest decorate. Christmas they open gifts under the tree in the morning, then invite family over for a grand dinner. I do play rotationally with aging off most of the time. So, it’s usually my larger families that do Christmas and Christmas Eve. If I want more than one family to experience it, I can add more Christmases.

I do 4th of July with fireworks and a cook out, and Valentine’s Day as well as Easter, Thanksgiving, and Halloween. And for some of the families I play a lot, they may take a summer holiday. Much more likely now that we can have rentals anywhere. Most of my worlds have a rental lot. Sulani and The snowy escape have more than one rental. Even city living has a rental, albeit, a kind of expensive one it is a party rental ( the small penthouse ). Most of my towns have a cheap rental. Many of my sims do not have a lot of money. I wish we could use an apartment as a rental.
    Post edited by SheriSim57 on
  • Options
    HandelHandel Posts: 395 Member
    The fun thing about moving to a different country is that I am mostly out of the loop on what holidays I now celebrate here. Especially since my partner and I are kinda more just hang at home people. (And lockdown not helping) Still got Christmas Winterfest and Easter Spring Day (one I made up) but otherwise I'm just strugling on what to add.

Probably should add a Halloween at least.
    Townie/NPC lore nerd!
  • Options
    netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member

I’m so glad I’m not the only one who sends sims for bonfire night it’s on of my favourite holidays on the calendar. I agree I wish more sims would interact with it. As for the op question all my holidays are custom made with pagan and uk festivals in it. The only exception is New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day.
  • Options
    EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    edited April 2021
    I also add Bonfire Night [Bonfire, Fireworks, Party Spirit, BBQ] but usually celebrate it at home and invite sims over if I want a crowd. If you set up all the fireworks close together or buy the festival battery boxes from debug then you can set them all off by lighting one. Sometimes I'll replace Harvestfest with this, other times I work around it.

Spooky Day (Halloween) is another regular add [Trick or Treat, Spooky Spirit, Wear Costumes, Watch Horror Movies, Tell (Ghost) Stories]. I throw a Spooky Party sometimes too. Make sure to invite any known vampires or ghosts or other creepy sims to the party.

We don't have Independence Day/4th of July in the UK, so I add a Summerfest [Water Fun, BBQ, Party Spirit, Streaking] or PRIDE (depends on currently played household).

I add Springfest [Flower Bunny, Egg Hunt, Give Flowers, Garden, Clean] to cover Easter, spring cleaning and starting a kitchen garden (if sims don't already have one).

The "Vacation/Travel to Lot" tradition is a good alternative if you want to do "Attend Ceremony" but want it to be active. You can "Appreciate Objects" to contemplate a statue/idol of some kind, watch perfomances if you have the "Art & Music Spirit" tradition (great for setting up summer Music Festivals) and depending on the venue type you choose to visit NPC will do appropriate things and appear to be joining in with the celebration too.

I really wish the calendar was per household so I could set simified but culturally appropriate holidays for each and not have to set them up every weekly rotation. That way I could set my LGBT sims to always celebrate Pride, my Asian/South Asian sims could have/attend the Festival of Light, American sims could have Thanksgiving while British sims (Britechester) could celebrate Bonfire Night etc.
  • Options
    Monet11Monet11 Posts: 1,422 Member
    I love custom holidays. I have a Wellness/ Be Kind To Yourself day with yoga, meditation, sauna, and massage. I have a Hot Times holiday to celebrate the beginning of summer. My sims sunbathe, BBQ, and streak. One of my sims graduated from Uni on this Holiday. It was funny to see all these graduating sims go streaking around before and after graduation.

Kiara Sims has lots of custom Holiday Traditions. IceMunMun also has some on Mod the Sims website, including some for pets.
  • Options
    So, just a heads up, i've been mod shopping :lol: i got a bunch of custom traditions and also club activities and icons. Ready to expand my holidays and clubs. Thank you all for your insights :)
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    edited April 2021

I celebrate Bonfire Day at the beach in Sulani, and there are always crowds.

Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    Handel wrote: »
    The fun thing about moving to a different country is that I am mostly out of the loop on what holidays I now celebrate here. Especially since my partner and I are kinda more just hang at home people. (And lockdown not helping) Still got Christmas Winterfest and Easter Spring Day (one I made up) but otherwise I'm just strugling on what to add.

Probably should add a Halloween at least.

Some unusual holidays I added are Karaoke Day and Literacy Day.

• Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    Here's my list with a mixed bag of holidays... (not always falling in the correct order.)
    Fools Day * (spring) 2nd / Day off x
    - Streaking
    - Talk Like a Pirate
    - Mischief Spirit
    - Holiday Gnomes
    - Purchase a Lottery Ticket

Fitness Day * (spring) 4th / Day off x
    - Exercise
    - Fasting
    - Water Fun
    - Do Laundry
    - Cleaning

Egg Day * (spring) 15th / Day off √
    - Egg Hunt
    - Flower Bunny
    - Grand Meal

Love Day * (spring) 20th / Day off x
    - Romantic Spitit
    - Give Flowers
    - Go on a Date
    - Free Food and Drink
    - Watch Romantic TV

Earth Day * (spring) 23rd / Day off x
    - Cleaning
    - Gardening
    - Make Resolutions
    - Skill Improvement
    - Thankful Spirit

Family Day * (spring) 28th / Day off √
    - Thankful Spirit
    - Give Gifts
    - Games
    - Shopping Rebate
    - Arts & Music Spirit

4th of Summer * (summer) 4th / Day off x
    - Fireworks
    - Bar-B-Que
    - Drinking
    - Shopping Rebate
    - Water Fun

Leisure Day * (summer) 9th / Day off √
    - Go on a Vacation or Travel
    - Water Fun
    - Bar-B-Que
    - Shopping Rebate
    - Drinking

Midsummer * (summer) 25th / Day off x
    - Art & Music Spirit
    - Fire
    - Give Flowers
    - Invite Guests
    - Holiday Gnomes

Skill Day * (fall) 4th / Day off x
    - Fishing
    - Skill Improvement
    - Baking
    - Dancing
    - Play an Instrument

Deal Day * (fall) 19th / Day off x
    - Fighting
    - Shopping Rebate

Harvestfest * (fall) 26th / Day off √
    - Grand Meal
    - Thankful Spirit
    - Sports TV
    - Air Grievances
    - Baking

Spooky Day * (fall) 28th / Day off x
    - Tell Stories
    - Carve Pumpkin
    - Wear Costumes
    - Trick or Treat
    - Watch Movies

Souls Day * (winter) 30th / Day off x
    - Attend Holiday Ceremony
    - Remembrance
    - Spooky Spirit
    - Party Spirit

Lazy Day * (winter) 39th / Day off √
    - Sleep
    - Games
    - Eat Popcorn
    - TV Season Premiere

Winterfest * (winter) 46th / Day off √
    - Decorate
    - Festive Spirit
    - Open presents
    - Grand Meal
    - Father Winter

New Year's Eve * (winter) 56th / Day off x
    - Party Spirit
    - Make Resolutions
    - Countdown to Midnight
    - Drinking
    - Fireworks

Just for fun... Bob Day
    - Baking
    - Bar-B-Que
    - Go Bowling
    - Polar Bear Plunge
    - Drinking

I made a save file with all of these holidays and now when I start a new save, I'll load up that save file instead. Then I use 'Save as'. All of my older save files I have to add those holidays which is a pain but at least I have everything saved to a txt file. I try to update it with any changes I've made. If I play on short lifespan, I reduce the amount of holidays because then it feels like there's something to celebrate every other day and that sad moodlet can be annoying if my sims don't celebrate. :p
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    SimplyJen wrote: »
    Here's my list with a mixed bag of holidays... (not always falling in the correct order.)
    Fools Day * (spring) 2nd / Day off x
    - Streaking
    - Talk Like a Pirate
    - Mischief Spirit
    - Holiday Gnomes

Fitness Day * (spring) 4th / Day off x
    - Exercise
    - Fasting
    - Water Fun
    - Do Laundry
    - Cleaning

Egg Day * (spring) 15th / Day off √
    - Egg Hunt
    - Flower Bunny
    - Grand Meal

Love Day * (spring) 20th / Day off x
    - Romantic Spitit
    - Give Flowers
    - Go on a Date
    - Free Food and Drink
    - Watch Romantic TV

Earth Day * (spring) 23rd / Day off x
    - Cleaning
    - Gardening
    - Make Resolutions
    - Skill Improvement
    - Thankful Spirit

Family Day * (spring) 28th / Day off √
    - Thankful Spirit
    - Give Gifts
    - Games
    - Shopping Rebate
    - Arts & Music Spirit

4th of Summer * (summer) 4th / Day off x
    - Fireworks
    - Bar-B-Que
    - Drinking
    - Shopping Rebate
    - Water Fun

Leisure Day * (summer) 9th / Day off √
    - Go on a Vacation or Travel
    - Water Fun
    - Bar-B-Que
    - Shopping Rebate
    - Drinking

Midsummer * (summer) 25th / Day off x
    - Art & Music Spirit
    - Fire
    - Give Flowers
    - Invite Guests
    - Holiday Gnomes

Skill Day * (fall) 4th / Day off x
    - Fishing
    - Skill Improvement
    - Baking
    - Dancing
    - Play an Instrument

Deal Day * (fall) 19th / Day off x
    - Fighting
    - Shopping Rebate

Harvestfest * (fall) 26th / Day off √
    - Grand Meal
    - Thankful Spirit
    - Sports TV
    - Air Grievances
    - Baking

Spooky Day * (fall) 28th / Day off x
    - Tell Stories
    - Carve Pumpkin
    - Wear Costumes
    - Trick or Treat
    - Watch Movies

Souls Day * (winter) 30th / Day off x
    - Attend Holiday Ceremony
    - Remembrance
    - Spooky Spirit
    - Party Spirit

Lazy Day * (winter) 39th / Day off √
    - Sleep
    - Games
    - Eat Popcorn
    - TV Season Premiere

Winterfest * (winter) 46th / Day off √
    - Decorate
    - Festive Spirit
    - Open presents
    - Grand Meal
    - Father Winter

New Year's Eve * (winter) 56th / Day off x
    - Party Spirit
    - Make Resolutions
    - Countdown to Midnight
    - Drinking
    - Fireworks

Just for fun... Bob Day
    - Baking
    - Bar-B-Que
    - Go Bowling
    - Polar Bear Plunge
    - Drinking

I made a save file with all of these holidays and now when I start a new save, I'll load up that save file instead. Then I use 'Save as'. All of my older save files I have to add those holidays which is a pain but at least I have everything saved to a txt file. I try to update it with any changes I've made. If I play on short lifespan, I reduce the amount of holidays because then it feels like there's something to celebrate every other day and that sad moodlet can be annoying if my sims don't celebrate. :p

So many cool ideas! Love the deal day :lol: and the lazy day.
  • Options
    You've inspired me to share my whole current list too. :) I'm putting it in a spoiler because there are some religious holidays.
    Oshougatsu
    Maundy Thursday
    The Lottery
    Lent
    Christ's Rebirth
    Love Day
    Literacy Day
    Bonfire Day
    Friendship Day
    Church Day
    Anniversary Party
    All Hallows Eve
    All Saints Day
    Health Day
    Pride Day
    Harvestfest
    Thing Day
    Advent
    Christ Mass
    Karaoke Day
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    I don't add a lot of custom holidays, but I do move the existing ones around. Mostly to Synch up with City Living Festivals.

I play with two-week seasons, so I like to move Winterfest and New Years' to the first week of winter because where I live, we still have plenty of snow waiting for us after new Year's. I use LittleMissSam's School Holiday tradition to make a Winter Break between the two as well. I've toyed with replacing some of the traditions, but I usually end up bringing it back to the defaults.

Depending on which festival schedule I get, I move Love Day to either the last Saturday in Winter or the First Saturday in Spring to coordinate with the Romance Festival. I drop the Date requirement and replace it with Romantic TV, so that if the weather's bad, my Sims can have a cozy evening at home (or I'm not trying to juggle the Parent's date night with Teen Kid's date night.) I've also replaced Give Flowers with Give Gifts so that the gifts can be more personalized. I'll also add either a Bunny Day or a Flower Day as the next day, but I'm constantly editing what traditions go with it as the family develops, but it usually involves gardening and the Flower Bunny. Egg hunt depends on 1) the age of the kids and 2) if I've already completed the egg collection with this save.

Summer gets the bulk of my custom Holidays, though again I like to coordinate them with City Living Festivals. Being a Geek who likes cons IRL, Summer Geek Con is a holiday. Go to Geek Con (well, travel, but the intended destination is GeekCon), Wear Costumes, Play Games. It's not a day off from work, but it is a day off of school. The other Summer Holiday I add is SummerFest, which is usually just Grill out and Watch Fireworks, so I try to synch it to the Humor and Hijinks festival. That one gets a day off from work. And between the two (plus a few days if needed) is Summer Break.

Fall I'll add Fright Fest, though again the traditions shift a bit depending on the needs of the family. Wear Costumes and Decorate are about the only constants. I'll sometimes remove the Gnomes from Harvestfest and replace it with watch sports in the grand tradition of American Football on Thanksgiving, but otherwise, I leave it alone.
  • Options
    Monet11Monet11 Posts: 1,422 Member
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    I don't add a lot of custom holidays, but I do move the existing ones around. Mostly to Synch up with City Living Festivals.

That is an interesting idea. I will have to take a closer look at all the festivals and do some thinking. :)
  • Options
    AncientMuseAncientMuse Posts: 1,062 Member
    So many great ideas, thanks guys! You've all inspired me to dig around in my calendars and get a little more creative with the custom holidays/traditions.... But first, grab some custom mods and custom holiday icons to match with all these fun ideas. <3
    My Gallery ID: AncientMuse2
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~ Mark Twain