Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Barnacle Bay will not download

I just bought Barnacle Bay last night and successfully redeemed the code. It showed up in my purchase history so I clicked it to download. It started out fine in the launcher but then it gave me an error and told me to check my game log. Checking that, it told me that more bytes were expected and that's what caused it to fail. I looked up troubleshooting tips but everything I found that was closer to my issue was back in 2011 and the information did not help. I was just wondering if anyone else here had any issues and if they have any tips to help me.

Comments

• Options
    waterywatermelonwaterywatermelon Posts: 473 Member
    I just bought Barnacle Bay last night and successfully redeemed the code. It showed up in my purchase history so I clicked it to download. It started out fine in the launcher but then it gave me an error and told me to check my game log. Checking that, it told me that more bytes were expected and that's what caused it to fail. I looked up troubleshooting tips but everything I found that was closer to my issue was back in 2011 and the information did not help. I was just wondering if anyone else here had any issues and if they have any tips to help me.

You purchased Barnacle Bay?!?

I thought Barnacle Bay was a free download for everybody, because that's how I got mine. It was a free download, and it contains the complementary Build/Buy/CAS set.

It's called Complete Barnacle Bay Adventure!, and it's downloadable for free.

From what I understand, there was some technical mishap, and EA decided to offer that one up for free.
  • Options
    BrandontaylorBrandontaylor Posts: 4,773 Member
    It was free for awhile, from what I seen but the store made me pay for it now. The main issue is the launcher won’t download it.
  • Options
    waterywatermelonwaterywatermelon Posts: 473 Member
    It was free for awhile, from what I seen but the store made me pay for it now. The main issue is the launcher won’t download it.

That's a bummer.

You should definitely show your e-receipt to EA at the Customer Service area.
  • Options
    CoriandreCoriandre Posts: 90 Member
    I would restart the whole process. Delete it from the launcher and download it again from the store.
  • Options
    I’ve tried restarting a few times, no luck. Trying to reset my folder and see if that helps.
  • Options
    Me1620Me1620 Posts: 4,996 Member
    edited March 2021
    @Brandontaylor - @Ciane has an excellent thread for downloading store content. As Ciane posted in her thread you can bypass your purchase history and directly download Barnacle Bay by pasting direct downloading codes in the browser window. If you need more information on direct downloading see Valgon57's thread on direct downloading and bypassing Purchase History

In her thread, on January 19th, Ciane posted:
    ciane wrote: »
    Someone was having problems reinstalling worlds bought through Origin, so here are the direct DL codes:

Complete Barnacle Bay Adventure!
    Old Version (without Buccaneer's Bounty 23566)
    sims3://download/?ofbId=OFB-SIM3:23962
    Standard - Origin/Retail
    sims3://download/?ofbId=OFB-SIM3:33768
    Standard - Store
    sims3://download/?ofbId=OFB-SIM3:33767

This is what I would try:
    1. Backup and then rename your current Sims 3 folder.
    2. Create a vanilla Sims 3 folder
    3. If you use version 1.67, make sure you have the seven ContentPatch files in your Sims 3 folder (See this post).
    4. Open the Launcher.
    5. Use the direct DL code for Barnacle Bay. Since you purchased from Origin, try this code first sims3://download/?ofbId=OFB-SIM3:33768
    a.k.a. - Jodi and a link to My Page on the Sims 3 website

To help you organize your stalking of the Daily Deal, please join us on the Daily Deal Rotation and Sales Help thread and please view the DD Spreadsheet
  • Options
    @Me1620 Just tried that, still won't work. It starts to download but doesn't even make it 1/4 of the way before it says there was an erro and to read the log again. That's all it does, no matter what I try.
  • Options
    FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    Did you clear your browser cache and use a different browser?
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    You may need to clear Internet Explorer history. This is a step that used to be recommended. While you unlikely use IE, the store apparently works through IE, or at least it used to.

I found this 2013 thread with a similar error on the EA Answer HQ.

To help you organize your stalking of the Daily Deal, please join us on the Daily Deal Rotation and Sales Help thread and please view the DD Spreadsheet
  • Options
    FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    @Me1620 I have had so many issues with the 64 bit Mac release that I have had to give up a few times, for a while. I just lurk the HQ and type in my issues in the search box and see what drops down in the box. Luckily I have been able to play it the last two days with no issues (knocks on wood). Its been tough because I'm not tech savvy but I am learning to clear caches, move folder out and start fresh, etc :D
  • Options
    tallcoolonetallcoolone Posts: 6,918 Member
    Just an idea if all else fails. I think you need the version that's in your purchase history that EA gave. I had trouble with the one I bought but the one that they gave in the purchase history downloads fine. Go to your purchase history to get it. It'll be back a little way.
    My Page https://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/tallcoolone
    Send me a friend request for Simport

• Options
    @FairyGodMother - It is aggravating when the game we love so much has so many issues. I have been fortunate that I have not had any that have made my game unplayable. I have the PC disc version.

• Options
    I'm really starting to think it's just my cruddy internet, now that I've tried everything and had issues with items I hadn't before. I run off a Verizon Jetpack with limited high speed data so it's very likely. I'm waiting until my data rolls over on Tuesday and will try again then. If it works, then I know that was the issue and I can go ahead and buy the next store world I want.
  • Options
    Used my iPhone as hotspot, downloaded Barnacle Bay just fine.
  • Options
    @Brandontaylor - Yay! Glad to hear you downloaded the world. It is also good to know how you solved the issue in case someone else has a similar problem.