Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How do you mix rotational and legacy playstyles?

Considering you mix rotational and legacy playstyles, how do you do that? I love both playstyles but can't figure out a way of mixing those styles and stick to it...

Comments

• Options
    SimsLady2000SimsLady2000 Posts: 1,236 Member
    edited March 2021
    I essentially do just that in my main save because I have the main family and all associated families that I rotate through, in addition to a couple of not related families. I should add that I use the Plum Tree app to keep track.
    Post edited by SimsLady2000 on
    The Sims is NOT a game, it's a lifestyle choice.

My Plumbob is GREEN today :D
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,977 Member
    Interesting, I never played a legacy family in my main save. Maybe I will try that sometime.
  • Options
    EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,930 Member
    Well, do not play with too many families in rotation. If you only play with few, you can play it as legacy way much more esier :)
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • Options
    Sha2520032003Sha2520032003 Posts: 2,258 Member
    texxx78 wrote: Β»
    Considering you mix rotational and legacy playstyles, how do you do that? I love both playstyles but can't figure out a way of mixing those styles and stick to it...

I mark my legacy household as played with aging off, so I don't miss anything while I rotate to other households. I'm in Gen 8 in my legacy challenge. When I get bored with them and want to play the sibling or another spare, I just rotate to another household. As long as nobody is aging in my main legacy house I'm good lol. I like to rotate between houses just to break things up a bit lol.
  • Options
    HopeyStarrHopeyStarr Posts: 1,276 Member
    I play with aging off and not much of a schedule rotationally, but whenever something major happens to a main set of sims, like a new bf/gf, aging up, a new family member, I'll go around the rest of the world/households and make/play changes to keep those households up to speed with this interconnected world story.

So my rotational save does age in a legacy-like style, but when and how depends upon a few of my sims.

Although I'll admit I haven't aged up a sim in this file for quite some time. I am too attached ,😫
    R5PO75w.gif?1
    *:.q."It's great being ((Queen Bee))!".q.:*
    β˜…γƒ»γƒ»γƒ»γƒ»γƒ»γƒ»β˜…γƒ»γƒ»γƒ»γƒ»γƒ»γƒ»β˜…γƒ»γƒ»γƒ»γƒ»γƒ»γƒ»β˜…
    ✧ :-"As long as I continue to believe then one day my ((dreams)) really will come true."✧ :-
  • Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    If your played sims are set to auto age only the active household then none of them will age when you’re playing a different household. Then you can decide if you want non played households to age or not.
  • Options
    KathMHughesKathMHughes Posts: 442 Member
    My original couple are now great grandparents. Their three kids are all married/remarried and are grandparents. Gen 3 is spread over 9 households. There's 13 members in Gen 4 who are all still minors.

I'm not following one particular descendent, but I rotate through all 13 households of the family, plus 3 households of close family friends. I played with aging off for played households, but now all the premades are dead.

At this point, no matter what I want to play, in terms of job, hobby, aspiration, I have a household I can go into and play with. My matriarch is now an immortal spellcaster,but I know I'll need to say goodbye to my patriarch eventually, and it will be tough!
  • Options
    leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,063 Member
    edited March 2021
    for me:
    I have a main family and other families.
    When my my family's kids have their own kids (I make my other families sims be the gf/bf) and form their own families, with own loits, rotation go to those 2nd generation families (and main 1st generation family until all kids have their own families)
  • Options
    RedDestiny92RedDestiny92 Posts: 7,850 Member
    Most of the time I use a mod for background sims but when I don't have it I may keep my main family as a legacy and I'll split the older children up leaving the youngest to inherit instead, along with their friends and such. It can be a little much at first. Though now it's weird not to play like that even if I have a few that I don't favor just a quick pop in for skills or something then I'm moving again, I like a big connection.
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,964 Member
    edited March 2021
    Well I don't play legacy as challenge
    so for me its just more like i have

β€’ the main family/ legacy family

this family must keep growing like they will have it all and they will do it all and they shall reign at the top and connect most of the other families to their fancy family tree at some point

this time though started by my 2 favourite self made sims ive played over and over separately
    but ive united them as couple

β€’ side families

premade families i play to have some other fun and yes they will probably connect to main family at some point but they have other stories to explore before that

for example
    Vlad x Judith Ward story

β€’ Other sims I play for a bit for fun

sometimes premades just come with no lore and i feel like giving them some so they'll be more fun to have around and maybe connect with later

examples:
    BFF Incident

β€’ additional own households when i need

mostly occult
    or premades from ts 1/2/3/spinoffs

and well in short

I play aging off,
    age sims when i want
    and just jump to any of the households whenever i want and there isnt anything big going on

though this makes timelines be very messed up between premades but i blame that on alternate universe
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion πŸ¦‡ Vlad Advocate πŸ‰ Team Dragons
    🏑 Gallery πŸ“– Stories 🌍 World Project πŸ₯” MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    MVWdeZTMVWdeZT Posts: 3,267 Member
    For a while I was playing 10 families in rotation, trying to get to 10 generations each. My 4th generation are all toddlers now, but I've been working on other things.

If you're going for Pinstar's Legacy Challenge, you need to have some way of keeping track of every family's goals.

As other people have suggested, keep aging off for everyone but the active family. It's a good idea to play each of your families for the same amount of time -- a week, usually -- before switching to the next. And if you want to age up the townies, then when you get to the first family again, click on aging up unplayed households. This will age up everyone except the households you're playing. Just remember to turn it off again when you go to the next family.

Finally, as others have suggested, keep your rotation small -- 3 maybe.
  • Options
    telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    I play my rotation and my Not So Berry legacy in the same save. I play with aging off. My rotational sims get aged up when I feel it is time. My legacy sims get aged up, or killed off, based on the correct number of Sim days in the normal lifespan.

If I had it to do over, I would put these in separate saves. It is weird when child Sims from the rotational group call an adult Sim in my legacy wanting to hang out because they were friends in school.
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    edited March 2021
    @telemwill i started a big save a few months ago where i started some different challenges in different households. Although i played aging only the active household it began to look like a huge mess :lol: i've decided i will do challenges, as i started playing them a few time ago, i love playing them and i have literally hundreds that i still want to try. But i will do them in different saves :)
  • Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    edited March 2021
    I set all my rotations on long lifespan with aging on for all sims both played and not played sims. Then I additionally set aging for played households to as I said earlier to auto age active household only. So that way say my little McKenzie family only ages as I am playing them, but not when I hop across the street to play the Garcias. Any family not marked played and random townies age slowly in the background and then with MCCC they have children and get married and sometimes divorced and move etc. I also set my seasons to 28 days. All of this gives me the sense of a natural time progression. I have also of late started increasing the time lapse in the game with MCCC, so default is 25 I doubled it to 50. It really helps me spend time with individual sims in families without feeling rushed.
  • Options
    DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    That's my playstyle. Basically I have a strict schedule. Week 1: The Novak family, week 2: The Roger family, etc etc. I rotate every Monday 6am. Aging for active household only, aging on for townies is every first week of a rotation = The Novak family. If a YA sim moves out to lead his own life then they go to the very bottom of my schedule list. I am currently at gen 13, I believe. Here you can see my plumtree.
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    My founders, each of their adult children and spouses, and their adult grandchildren (plus a few outliers like my 1st gen heir's sister-in-law) are households of their own. It is a "legacy" in that it's all one couple's descendants and connections, rather than by any particular rule-set. I choose which household to play depending on mood & interest. I control aging, so no one is going to just die off before I get back to them. Every once in a while, I start with my founders (now Elders) and go through & check in on each household, going by birth order, to remind myself of what each is up to. But for general play, I'll pick one (currently, the youngest son's younger son, recently married and pursuing a degree at Britechester).
  • Options
    Umbreon12Umbreon12 Posts: 881 Member
    I don't have a legacy family per se, and I have a lot of families I play between. I play with long lifespans, and aging off (for now). My legacy goal is to mix all my families in one way to the main family I play as, and alternate how many kids are born each generation. If the world becomes too cramped the non-heir kids will only have one child, with the heirs having at least 3, and aging will be back on. Then the next generation will have more kids.
    On one save file, I only have three families I rotate between so far, so they are more in the legacy family mode, and I plan to get them as far as I can in generations, and only add a new family to mix with them as time goes on.
  • Options
    drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member
    texxx78 wrote: Β»

Unless it's something that is an experiment that requires me to play many sim generations in a game I don't play legacy games in Sims 4. Right now I'm staring a Legacy game because of my curiosity. Earlier this month I finished my 10th generation with L Faba and Morgyn Ember's kid and their decedents. Morgyn eventually divorced L and having an affair with Emilia Charm. With my game where L Faba and Simeon Silversweater married and had their kids after the birth of both Pandora and Solomon Simeon and L started losing their romance and friendship levels. She died of laughter and though he was having an affair with his son's girlfriend Athena after L died and she helped him heal after his loss their relationship was official. It was a pain to get Solomon and Athena together because it seemed she was always with somebody else. Eventually, she married Solomon and they had lots of kids. I played L and Simeon's bloodline out to 10 generations. I am currently playing a legacy game because I started a game with my go-to spellcaster family Sam Astral and his brothers Jason Mandrake and Alexander Nightshade. I really was just going to play them have them start teaching young spellcasters again. He used Magic to have a child with L Faba named Anatu. Shortly after L became pregnant I got a notification (thanks to MCCC settings that Simeon Silversweater and Morgyn Ember were going to have a child. They had a boy named Fox Ember-Silversweater currently is dating Anatu. While Fox was a child Simeon gave birth to Sabrina Ember-Silversweatrer. Sabrina is currently a child in my game and both Morgyn and Simeon are pregnant again. I have been doing rotational play adding in Spellcaster households I have. I added in Dr Strange and his wife Clea. I added in Tim Hunter from Vertigo Comics Books of Magic series by Neil Gaiman and Tim's wife Molly. I added in Rene Eden and Selina Mana who are married. I added in Techanus and Lydia the Servo he created and married. I added in Granny Hex as she is affectionately called by other spellcasters who married Minerva Charm in my game. I will add in more households for choices for Simeon and Morgyn's kids to continue the bloodline to 10 generations. So far I love the pairing of Simeon and Morgyn best of the Sages being paid up so I can compare bloodlines after 10 generations. These are exceptions to my I don't play legacy games in Sims 4. Morgyn and Simeon haven't cheated on each other like they did when they were married to L. They continue to have more kids past only 1 pregnancy with L. I think L made them miserable when she was married to them ion separate games. Simeon when he marries a premade or townie he always cheated on them in the past ended up divorcing his wife. Morgyn the same thing when he's married premades and townies in the past ending up divorcing them in the past. I moved them to Willow Creek and they have been surprisingly faithful to each other. I have been using rotational play to set up possible future mates for Simeon and Morgyn's kids to continue the bloodline. They are always doing things together and woohooing and trying for a baby. I know I could have put them in the same household a while back and adjusted their relationship and their attraction likes and dislikes by making them attracted to each other but I rather have things like that happen randomly in the game. This was just the game it happened on its own in.
    Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]