Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do more Simmers who want Better Babies play on Long Life/aging off?

Comments

• Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    edited February 2021
    I will say after two days

1) my initial theory that the majority of people who want More Gameplay with Babies are people who play on something longer than Normal Lifespan appears to be correct.

2) the number of people who play on Short or Normal Lifespan who also want more gameplay is higher than expected, but not by too much, especially once I allow for both Selection Bias due to the wording of my question and Better Baby Fatigue for those who don't care about baby improvements and are tired of hearing about it. I'm not discounting that there are a decent number of people who play on Short or Normal who do want more gameplay options for Babies, though. Even with just 3 days, they're pretty dull in terms of gameplay.

I do have a sort of follow-up question, even if it feels weird to do so because I have zero interest in attempting this challenge. But I'm curious. If they do give us more gameplay actions with babies, how would you expect this to impact people attempting the 100 baby challenge? Do you think these gameplay actions would be optional, and not impact a sim's ability to care for the baby (providing a bonus if you do, but no penalty if you don't) or do you think these hypothetical new actions might be required to successfully raise a baby to toddlerhood, and therefore have an impact on the difficulty or pacing of the challenge?

(and while I'll respond to discussion of my question, once this thread naturally falls onto page two of the forums, I'm considering the poll "closed")
  • Options
    HoveraelHoverael Posts: 1,230 Member
    Babies in this game are just screaming furniture, so long as you attend to their needs roughly every 7h and 30m to 8h, it isn't a problem.
    The problem is that babies need to learn how to talk, how to crawl and eventually walk. the joys of being woken up in the middle of the night to calm the baby down, feed it or take care of its nappy, burp the baby and having some of the stomach contents drop on your shoulder, as well as constant drooling. it should be a full time job watching the little one. this game doesn't convey that aspect in any form.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    I will say after two days

1) my initial theory that the majority of people who want More Gameplay with Babies are people who play on something longer than Normal Lifespan appears to be correct.

2) the number of people who play on Short or Normal Lifespan who also want more gameplay is higher than expected, but not by too much, especially once I allow for both Selection Bias due to the wording of my question and Better Baby Fatigue for those who don't care about baby improvements and are tired of hearing about it. I'm not discounting that there are a decent number of people who play on Short or Normal who do want more gameplay options for Babies, though. Even with just 3 days, they're pretty dull in terms of gameplay.

I do have a sort of follow-up question, even if it feels weird to do so because I have zero interest in attempting this challenge. But I'm curious. If they do give us more gameplay actions with babies, how would you expect this to impact people attempting the 100 baby challenge? Do you think these gameplay actions would be optional, and not impact a sim's ability to care for the baby (providing a bonus if you do, but no penalty if you don't) or do you think these hypothetical new actions might be required to successfully raise a baby to toddlerhood, and therefore have an impact on the difficulty or pacing of the challenge?

(and while I'll respond to discussion of my question, once this thread naturally falls onto page two of the forums, I'm considering the poll "closed")
    I think it would make the challenge easier. The needs bars will still be the same, but having an option to see the needs bars coding babies as life stages would save them time. Simmers generally don't know what their babies want unless they own the Parenthood pack with the parenting skill. Right now it is boring one cuddle or rock, one change dirty diaper, and one feeding will keep them happy for hours. When I was testing the incest glitch back in 2015, it was easy taking care of 10 babies at once. Far easier than the Sims 1 object babies. So I don't think it will be more challenging will be an issue especially when the Sims 4 has a reputation of being the easiest in the franchise with gameplay.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    I think it would make the challenge easier. The needs bars will still be the same, but having an option to see the needs bars coding babies as life stages would save them time. Simmers generally don't know what their babies want unless they own the Parenthood pack with the parenting skill. Right now it is boring one cuddle or rock, one change dirty diaper, and one feeding will keep them happy for hours. When I was testing the incest glitch back in 2015, it was easy taking care of 10 babies at once. Far easier than the Sims 1 object babies. So I don't think it will be more challenging will be an issue especially when the Sims 4 has a reputation of being the easiest in the franchise with gameplay.

Interesting. I mean, my "worst case scenario" for better babies is that they require more attention/care (need to be bathed at least once a day, have bouts of colic, etc) but are treated like pets when it comes to household slots and the ability to see needs. And I could see that situation making the 100 baby challenge (and just taking care of babies in general) more challenging.

But, as I said, I see that as a Worst Case Scenario and hopefully improved babies (which I do think are coming in some form) won't be like that.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    Scobre wrote: »

Interesting. I mean, my "worst case scenario" for better babies is that they require more attention/care (need to be bathed at least once a day, have bouts of colic, etc) but are treated like pets when it comes to household slots and the ability to see needs. And I could see that situation making the 100 baby challenge (and just taking care of babies in general) more challenging.

But, as I said, I see that as a Worst Case Scenario and hopefully improved babies (which I do think are coming in some form) won't be like that.
    Pets don't have a needs bar either.
    https://www.ign.com/wikis/the-sims-4/Caring_for_a_Pet

It is only with the playable pets mod you can see it.

https://sims4studio.com/thread/4254/aom?page=2&scrollTo=89311

So pets and babies do have a lot in common that they both don't have needs bars or are playable.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    SeashoreLiviaSeashoreLivia Posts: 833 Member
    I play with aging off and 28 day seasons. I keep my sims as babies for a full year in game, and I would really love for them to be treated as sims and not objects. I’m not playing ts4 anymore, but I might come back if babies ever got an update.
  • Options
    intothehorizoneintothehorizone Posts: 88 Member
    edited February 2021
    i play on long lifespan and personally, i'm not too concerned about improving babies (to be fair, this is mostly due to the fact that i rarely partake in family play in the first place). overall, i'm not against it, but i'm not really fully 'for' it either, as it honestly wouldn't really affect my current playstyle/gameplay.
  • Options
    KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,383 Member
    edited February 2021
    The babies are okay as they are. I always just wait for them to age up anyway.
    I usually play either on long or normal lifespan when my Sims are ready to have babies. I always turn the aging on normal until he/she ages up if I play on long lifespan. I can't stand dealing with babies any more time than necessary. I've once kept aging on long lifespan when the baby was born and after that one I decided never to do it again, it was torturous. Let's just say that I've never been happier about a baby aging up on Sims.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,585 Member
    Kimmer wrote: »
    The babies are okay as they are. I always just wait for them to age up anyway.
    I usually play either on long or normal lifespan when my Sims are ready to have babies. I always turn the aging on normal until he/she ages up if I play on long lifespan. I can't stand dealing with babies any more time than necessary. I've once kept aging on long lifespan when the baby was born and after that one I decided never to do it again, it was torturous. Let's just say that I've never been happier about a baby aging up on Sims.

Why not just use the Age Up option given for the baby, rather than risk the aging of your other Sims? That's what I do. I also play on Long.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited February 2021
    I play on normal lifespan because I love to play generations and I am always eager to see the genetics. Babies are a crucial part of my playstyle. I would love getting the freeplay features, but the looks are somewhat creepy. It is also important to me that babies do get some proper genetics.
    Post edited by 83bienchen on
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • Options
    NikkihNikkih Posts: 1,758 Member
    edited February 2021
    I was thinking of atleast semi free babies, by adding things like a bottle maker, baby monitor, play mat and changing stations, would itself improve them, I used to play at long for everyone but now I've decided to only when active set to normal and townies aging off
  • Options
    DragonmasterleoDragonmasterleo Posts: 294 Member
    I play with normal or custom (close to normal) and occasionally on long. I would like more to do with babies, even on normal lifespan
  • Options
    DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    Mostly the only thing that I find missing with babies is variety of furniture and the ability to take them to visit family. I'd like more bed options than just the few bassinets. And it might be nice if they could be moved to a different piece of furniture, like a playpen or swing, or a stroller to take them off lot. But I'd basically just want the existing interactions to follow them from one location to another, I don't really want to do anything else with them or make raising them more complicated.
  • Options
    SimGamer2021SimGamer2021 Posts: 11 New Member
    > @PennyDreadPriestess said:
    > I'm not overly interested in babies and toddlers, but I don't like to feel rushed because I like to max out the toddlers' skills. So I have ageing off and age them up with the birthday candles as soon as I'm ready (or if I just get sick of it lol).

I have done similar!
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    I mainly wish babies weren't an object that you can literally find in debug. I wouldn't mind if we could do some extra stuff with them as we could in the past (sink bathing, changing table, baby swing, stroller). I stick to Normal/Long lifespan btw.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,326 Member
    SimplyJen wrote: »
    I mainly wish babies weren't an object that you can literally find in debug. I wouldn't mind if we could do some extra stuff with them as we could in the past (sink bathing, changing table, baby swing, stroller). I stick to Normal/Long lifespan btw.

Ok this is mainly how I feel too. :)
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    I play with aging off, and right now I just want my babies to have the correct skin color in their pictures. Once that happens, I would love it if my Sim parents could get together and have their babies in the same room. Once that happens, I’ll worry about more fun activities for my babies.

I think babies are adorable as they are and wouldn’t want their appearance changed otherwise.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    OliwkaWidmoOliwkaWidmo Posts: 45 Member
    I switch between normal and long lifespan and I don't think the babies are missing anything.
  • Options
    Lotus26Lotus26 Posts: 23 Member
    I mostly play on normal lifespan. I actually like how the babies are. I wouldn't mind if they got an update, though. It would be nice if they could be rocked in the rocking chair or be put in a baby swing. In Sims 2 you could tell what color hair they would have by the color of their eyebrows.
  • Options
    APottsAPotts Posts: 2,448 Member
    edited March 2021
    I play on long lifespan, but tend to get bored/annoyed with current babies quickly and age them up.

If they stopped being attached to the crib and could be carried around, put in baby swing, playpen or playmat like babies from previous games I would keep the babies longer.
  • Options
    SmellincoffeeSmellincoffee Posts: 963 Member
    I don't get into baby & toddler play, so I'm fine as they are. I toggle between aging on and aging off, or sometimes use long aging, depending on how much I need a Sim to do and how fast I want their 'story' to move forward.
  • Options
    talongirl6talongirl6 Posts: 184 Member
    I usually play on normal lifespan. I don't usually play with babies, toddlers, or children, so having the babies get updated doesn't interest me. I think they're fine the way they are, and I actually like the Sims 4 babies better than the babies in the other Sims games. But I do know that a lot of people do want this, so I wouldn't personally have any problem with them get an update.
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I play with aging off.
    Babies just don't hold my interest as a life stage when my sims have them. Pretty much I take a few pictures and age them up to toddlers. Toddlers have a lot more to do with how cute they are and the milestones they can achieve.. and same with children for me. It takes me a very long time to decide to age those life stages up. Usually I want them to do everything that is possible for them to do.
    I want babies to have something they achieve also and I want some more gameplay associated with that stage between family members so they can begin to feel like little sims to me. I'd also like them to look better cosmetically, but really that's secondary to some added gameplay.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    I want more toddler play too. I get annoyed that they can't do simple things like "watch birds" at the bird feeder, or pet the dust bunnies.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    charmed4life4charmed4life4 Posts: 178 Member
    I tend to play on longer lifespans. Having a baby for 7 days that just doesn't do anything isn't fun to me as a family simmer. I like the interactions parents got to have with babies in Sims 2 and 3. I used to have whole stories around growing a family and bonding with the new baby and learning to be a parent, it's all useless now. Also I seem to consistently get the glitch where the baby will not age independently and in a short span of time is almost going to be taken from the social worker because their motives fall so quickly. Babies are a waste of time with how the game is currently set up IMO.