Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Ambitions Expansion Pack

For those that have the Ambitions expansion pack would you recommend this expansion pack as worth getting? I have been thinking about possibly getting this expansion pack as it seems like there are some cool things it might add to the game such as letting your Sim be a self-employed inventor or sculptor, seeing your Sim at the job and having more ways of controlling how they do their job. Plus since it's an expansion pack there is also new item, clothes/hairs and a new town added to the game. However, I am a little reluctant to buy this expansion pack based on some reviews I read that said the careers in this expansion pack are a lot of work to manage with more than one Sim with these careers and can take a big hit on the other Sims relationships because of the amount of attention it takes for them to do the jobs and also that the careers get boring after a while. Would you say that this is true of this expansion pack or not? I think the only other expansion pack I might be interesting in getting is the University Life expansion pack. When I used to play the Sims 2 game I had the University expansion pack for that game and I liked that expansion pack but I'm a little reluctant to get the Sims 3 one. Would you recommend the Sims 3 University Life expansion better than the Ambitions expansion pack or not?

Comments

• Options
    BrandontaylorBrandontaylor Posts: 4,773 Member
    Ambitions is a great pack. It also includes the sculpting and inventing skills, which are fun to play. One thing I like doing is detonating objects. I definitely recommend it, but University is good too.
  • Options
    GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,080 Member
    edited January 2021
    Ambitions is fun I’m not gonna lie, the careers can be glitchy.Such as with the fire career small house fires seem to cancel before you can complete them.But nonetheless I love the pack.I like Uni for the items and clothing, but I rarely ever send my sim to college.
  • Options
    izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    edited January 2021
    It used to be my least favorite, now one of my favorites, i definitely recommend this pack since it contains many gameplays, i like both ambition and university but ambitions has more sustainable gameplay whereas university gameplay usually is just during the time your sims at university.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Options
    Simmer2500Simmer2500 Posts: 247 Member
    Ambitions is fun I’m not gonna lie, the careers can be glitchy.Such as with the fire career small house fires seem to cancel before you can complete them.But nonetheless I love the pack.I like Uni for the items and clothing, but I rarely ever send my sim to college.

Thanks for the info. It sounds like the glitch with the fire career is probably an all around glitch that probably everyone might end up getting in the game if they get this expansion but I guess if there are enough other good things with the expansion pack that could make up for a couple or few little glitches.
  • Options
    izecson wrote: »
    It used to be my least favorite, now one of my favorites, i definitely recommend this pack since it contains many gameplays, i like both ambition and university but ambitions has more sustainable gameplay whereas university gameplay usually is just during the time your sims at university.

Thanks for the info. It seems to me that maybe if you do a balance of some regular jobs and some Ambitions jobs then maybe not those Ambitions jobs all of the time then it might not get boring as fast as some of the reviews I read for the game said. Oh, okay that makes sense about the gameplay since from what I read about the University expansion pack is that it has it's own university town that you play the Sim going to college and everything else back in their home neighborhood freezes until they come back from the University town.
  • Options
    thuggishsplicerthuggishsplicer Posts: 1,747 Member
    Well, I haven't played with University Life in 3 years but Ambitions is the first pack I install. I do like Twinbrook (although sims aren't as good-looking as in University Life) and the new careers introduced. There's only one floor lamp that I really dislike and I believe there's a bug with the lifetime wish related to the architectural designer. Some mods enhance and fix a couple of details. For example, there's a mod that allows the Consigment Store to buy more stuff and another that doesn't allow the stylist's studio to reset your sim's age bar.

Your comment on the Ambitions jobs is also right. It's cool to experience them with just one of the sims in the household. They do get repetitive after a while and some of them are demanding. I have played all of them and I think it's nice to play them once in a while.

UL can also get really dull as well if you send your sims there every generation. Frankly, the social groups and the advanced cell phone didn't catch my eye. The new lot types are cool, but it would be nice if there were smaller options in the bin. I also agree with GraceyManor, UL is great for several items and clothing (hairstyles are much better than in Ambitions).
  • Options
    Well, I haven't played with University Life in 3 years but Ambitions is the first pack I install. I do like Twinbrook (although sims aren't as good-looking as in University Life) and the new careers introduced. There's only one floor lamp that I really dislike and I believe there's a bug with the lifetime wish related to the architectural designer. Some mods enhance and fix a couple of details. For example, there's a mod that allows the Consigment Store to buy more stuff and another that doesn't allow the stylist's studio to reset your sim's age bar.

Your comment on the Ambitions jobs is also right. It's cool to experience them with just one of the sims in the household. They do get repetitive after a while and some of them are demanding. I have played all of them and I think it's nice to play them once in a while.

UL can also get really dull as well if you send your sims there every generation. Frankly, the social groups and the advanced cell phone didn't catch my eye. The new lot types are cool, but it would be nice if there were smaller options in the bin. I also agree with GraceyManor, UL is great for several items and clothing (hairstyles are much better than in Ambitions).

Thanks for the info. I decided on the Ambitions expansion pack. Hopefully, it will end up being a decent expansion pack and not have too many of those glitches in the game.
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    I like the ambitions careers because the sims in those careers are free to do anything I want them to do.

I found the sculpting career, or just a sim working with that skill, can earn huge income from sculpting once they get some experience. It helps if they have the savvy sculptor trait. I get them to work through the sculpting skill challenges and it isn’t long before they are earning huge money. Having said that this applies to other stay at home careers such as, for example, painting.
  • Options
    AvataritAvatarit Posts: 836 Member
    I really like them both.
    I would purchase University Life before Ambitions because I feel the features it it adds to the game are must-have. (To note that I didn't play Sims 2 so I have no reference for comparison).

But also I think Ambitions adds a lot to the game: New town, new professions (you don't have to play with it all the time, choose for your sims), consignment feature, makeover and tatoo items and more.
    I think these things add more realism to the game, which I like.
  • Options
    NitroglycolNitroglycol Posts: 121 Member
    Ambitions and UL are my two favourites of the ones I have. UL I like for the great premades, the plantsims, and the Science skill, as well as the ability to boost your skills while not aging and to start careers at a higher level. Ambitions is great for the town as well as the careers. I started with UL as my first EP but you can't go much wrong with either one.
  • Options
    Cassieb95Cassieb95 Posts: 347 Member
    I really liked Ambitions when I used to play TS3. I loved the firefighter, the ghost hunter and the detective career. But if you're not interested in the careers, I'm not sure you'll enjoy it.
  • Options
    NitroglycolNitroglycol Posts: 121 Member
    One caveat about Ambitions that I forgot to mention in this thread - the professions are cool, but they require a lot more micromanagement than the rabbit hole careers. So if you're running a large household, it can get tricky to ensure they're doing as well in their respective professions as possible.
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    Ambitions was always one of my favorite packs and I still use it to this day. If you get tired of the grind to get ahead in your career you can always use testing cheats and just pull the green line on your career box. I do it when I'm playing a lot of families and they don't advance on their own while you play someone else.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    One caveat about Ambitions that I forgot to mention in this thread - the professions are cool, but they require a lot more micromanagement than the rabbit hole careers. So if you're running a large household, it can get tricky to ensure they're doing as well in their respective professions as possible.

My households tend to be huge. I use mods and my current household has been reduced to only 16 sims. It was over 20 for a while. I find it is easier to manage the careers that are stay at home than having to be sure everyone has gone to work on time and stayed at work in the rabbi t hole careers. But I dont play firefighter, investigator or ghost hunter careers. Ghost hunter is bugged and I find the easiest and quickest way for me to get a sim to level 10 in that career is to move them out of the active household and let story progression handle it. Ive found the sims I've had in the investigator career do well if I move them out and alloiw story progression to control them too. Ive never been sufficiently patient to bother with firefighters.
  • Options

Yeah, that's the reason I was reluctant to get this expansion pack after reading some reviews of the game that said that. I did buy it though but my order with the game was delayed so I haven't tried it out yet.