Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Modders Adding Colorwheel For Hair/Clothing

So with the update for skintone and makeup modders decided to take that resource and apply it to clothing and hair. Sadly its a mod but hey, blame Maxis for not doing their job.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMQTh7vtMW4

We're one step closer to what Sims 4 should've been.
1. The Sims 2
2. The Sims 3
3. The Sims 4 (5 years later its decent)
4. The Sims 1

Comments

• Options
    eternalrainneternalrainn Posts: 373 Member
    Dies in console
  • Options
    filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    edited January 2021
    I'm genuinely shocked to see that there isn't more noise being made here on the forums about this. A modder has accomplished what the team said was impossible and this is the first time I'm seeing anything about this on the forums. Also the fact this modder converted all base game CAS assets to have this ability in about a week is a statement within itself, in about one week, a single person has did what the team haven't done in six years.
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    Will this be for any hair (as in default EA hair or only the CC hair they've applied it to?

While I'm not against using CC/Mods in my game, I often don't have CC or have a very limited amount of CC mainly because too much CC will cause longer loading times and if I'm not going to actually be decorating lots, I'll only keep what is on my current sims and CC from their houses in my game.

So, I don't put any CC on townie sims because I don't want them to show up bald or having black skin tones because the CC is missing.
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    I'm extremely disappointed that the color wheel is a mod. I only play vanilla due to the fact that my computer rejects any mods. I've been saying for years that the devs need to remember Sims 3 color wheels & put it back into Sims 4.
    DON'T EXPECT THE MODDERS TO DO YOUR JOB. :(
  • Options
    Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    Color wheel DLC, for only $49.99.
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • Options
    Missmagoo2Missmagoo2 Posts: 1,255 Member
    Oh, so it's NOT impossible to make a color wheel for hair color. The tea is hot!
    Like SJM? Like Kpop? Like Greek Mythology?
    ☆゚.*・。゚ Follow me on the gallery ☆゚.*・。゚ Origin ID: Missmagoo2
    O(≧▽≦)O

(I work with CC so make sure you check that box to see my "hidden" content!)

L'uinversSims profile: https://luniversims.fr/profile/46983-missmagoo2/
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    But technically didn't they just use the existing slider mechanism and turn it into a wheel? I don't really see how it's much different....
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,883 Member
    EA didn't say it was impossible, but it would require lots of resources, and would be unlikely. It says so in the vid too. And the modder said doing this for basegame only, the file is HUGE. I'm wondering how that would impact the game. I'd be happy if it was just the hairs, really.
    But technically didn't they just use the existing slider mechanism and turn it into a wheel? I don't really see how it's much different....

Its only the sliders, just like with skintones and makeup. There is no actual colour wheel as far as I know, and I get confused when people call it that :|
  • Options
    Ersa_MiddletonErsa_Middleton Posts: 697 Member
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    I'm extremely disappointed that the color wheel is a mod. I only play vanilla due to the fact that my computer rejects any mods. I've been saying for years that the devs need to remember Sims 3 color wheels & put it back into Sims 4.

It's the same deal with other moddable games. They all say they can't do this or that and then you get a dev from a totally different, or a hobbiest, or just a regular ol' gamer that figured this out, to do it all in short order...
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    This is actually great. I'm really hoping that the developers will add this to the game eventually. I already have enough mods in my game. If modders can do it then I see no reason why EA can't. Plus this is a feature that everybody should get to enjoy and since console players can't use mods it would be nice if it became an official game feature.
  • Options
    KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,883 Member
    We can't say they will never do the sliders for hair/clothes/whathaveyou. We didn't know we were getting them for skintones or makeup either. They didn't have to do it, because nobody expected them to, but they did. We were expecting more skintones, not sliders.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,570 Member

Unfortunately, it was the color wheel that clogged up many a computer with sluggish gameplay, etc. I play on a gaming rig (and always have) but even my brand new one, bought prior to Sims4, so I was still playing Sims 3, couldn't handle the load. While I would love to be able to customize the color tones I my Sims' hair, it's not worth it in the long run to me to have the game run slow.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    PurpleSweetTartPurpleSweetTart Posts: 167 Member
    I'm excited about it truly but then it would make all of our households CC and everyone would need the mod to use the household so I'm hesitant. I have only made a few houses with bunkbeds because some people have trouble with mods or strictly play vanilla. I'm not opposed to adding more mods to the game. It's the only way to get what we want right now. I absolutely think that EA should have given this to us years ago. Surely there must be a better way to counteract slow gameplay speed in 2021. On Legacy I'm not sure what would happen but on non-legacy there is somewhere a solution for gameplay and file size. EA needs to push themselves a lot more when it comes to giving us what we want. They are making strides with content but the need to actually care about bug fixes and just little tweaks that we notice that they don't bother to fix. they need to push their coding to solve these problems so things like the color wheel and other things modders have done are "able" to be done. Like bunkbeds. Seriously, E,A bunkbeds. Modders have done it. So can you. I don't even care if the animation is a bit wonky. I agree with @SERVERFRA we give you enough of our money, it's not unreasonable for us to have high expectations for what we pay for. There are toilets missing from the builds in Del Sol Valley, Routing issues in Strangerville, and unfinished rooves in Glimmerbrook. To buy all the packs is over $500. We have every right to expect more and a color wheel (for makeup, hair and clothes) and bunkbeds is not asking for much at all.
  • Options
    smilepandasmilepanda Posts: 101 Member
    I saw a video about this only yesterday and this is the only mod other than MC Command Centre I would download. Hopefully it might push the sims team to spend time incorporating it into the game as an actual feature but I am glad it is now possible!
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member
    It's not a color wheel, it's sliders. But I do like the sliders system with custom swatches better than a color wheel so if they did add this as official content, I wouldn't mind.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    Hi GalacticGal; I've been playing Sims 3 off & on since 2011 & the Color Wheel in that game never lagged the game, it was after I got Sims 3 Island Paradiso. I used to have all 20 of the packs & when I decided to upgrade to Sims 4 back in 2014, I gave away all the disks. I've learned a few things about gaming, one learn what types of packs that can cause a lagging to avoid the pack, two never ever start in year one of a new upgrade version of a game always wait until it's about 4 or 5 years old.
    Also, I've always been very happy that my Sims 4 has never lagged. And when I finally wanted my Sims 3 game I was just very careful the second time not to get the Sims 3 Seasons/Pets/Island Paradiso.
    I'm still waiting for the day when Sims 4 will finally surpass Sims 3.
  • Options
    VentusMattVentusMatt Posts: 1,028 Member
    edited January 2021
    So I am not the biggest fan of Pixelade. I do watch his vids for news but personally I feel like he focuses more on what he wants and pushes his own opinions more then he should.

That said I am glad to see that someone is taking the time to do this but I do believe that the community is hyping this up more then they should. From my understanding this isn't a huge change to the core game but actually turning on a function, flipping a switch, so hair and clothing can use the sliders. Not trying to downplay their effort though as going through every piece of content so that they can use the sliders is a long process but again this isn't as groundbreaking as the guy who made that openworld mod.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    edited January 2021
    I don't know if Maxis ever said that a color wheel was technically impossible...

I have always thought that it was a question about resources. Maxis could probably go back and add a color wheel to all their clothing, the question is rather if it's worth it. I think we are close to almost 1000 CAS items in the game with all the packs.
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,973 Member

I don’t use mods or CC either, so I sure hope the devs come out with this stuff too.
  • Options
    VentusMattVentusMatt Posts: 1,028 Member
    edited January 2021
    So I think the easiest thing for them to add sliders too would be hair but I can see why they haven't done so or are holding back from allowing the use of sliders on hair.

The way that models and textures work in ts4 doesn't really allow sliders to be use as detailed as players may want. The models are one piece and every part use the same texture map. An example would be the the Day of the Dead hair, the one with the flower crown. That is all one texture map. So if you use the slider on the that hair not only would you change the hair but also the flowers and ribbons in the hair. Same can be said for clothing items, use the sliders and the whole piece changes color not just one part. Some players may be okay with that while other might complain that they should be able to change one part, ie. a jacket without changing the the shirt underneath. They devs may feel that because of this limitation it is best to not allow sliders on hair/clothing at least for the time being.

The same can be said for objects. Want to change the color of the wood on a bed? Well you'll also end up change the color of the blanket, pillow, mattress, and any other piece that may be a part of that bed.
  • Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited January 2021
    Will this be for any hair (as in default EA hair or only the CC hair they've applied it to?

This is the default EA hair, I think they said they applied it to every base game hair.

The thing I'm most interested about is that the sliders are actually on the hair tab. The other variation I think greenllamas? created meant needing an accessory version of every single hair in game if you want to change the colour but with this one it's just there on the hair which is exactly what we need. I couldn't really care less about having sliders on clothing to be honest but having them on hairs would be so good, I hope this creator will share how they put the sliders on and then other CC creators can put sliders onto their stuff.

Not sure how the sliders work from a development pov but I guess it shouldn't be that hard to put in now that the system is there? They managed to apply it to around 100 makeup item in game so I don't see any reason why this system wouldn't be able to just be tweaked and ported to hair.
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    Onverser wrote: »

This is the default EA hair, I think they said they applied it to every base game hair.

The thing I'm most interested about is that the sliders are actually on the hair tab. The other variation I think greenllamas? created meant needing an accessory version of every single hair in game if you want to change the colour but with this one it's just there on the hair which is exactly what we need. I couldn't really care less about having sliders on clothing to be honest but having them on hairs would be so good, I hope this creator will share how they put the sliders on and then other CC creators can put sliders onto their stuff.

Not sure how the sliders work from a development pov but I guess it shouldn't be that hard to put in now that the system is there? They managed to apply it to around 100 makeup item in game so I don't see any reason why this system wouldn't be able to just be tweaked and ported to hair.

That would be amazing! I was worried too that it would be an accessory overlay and we'd need 100's of additional CC hair packages in our mods folder! I'm also not too worried about sliders for clothing, you can make some decent outfits but the hair colors are just hideous and look even worse now that we can adjust the skin tones.
  • Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited January 2021
    The mod is out now on Patreon and I bought access so I wanted to share a few screenshots!

True black:
    01-17-21-6-20-49-PM.png

Light brown/dark blonde:
    01-17-21-6-19-29-PM.png
    01-17-21-6-08-51-PM.png
    01-17-21-6-26-53-PM.png
    01-17-21-6-27-50-PM.png
    01-17-21-6-29-40-PM.png

Pastel pink:
    01-17-21-6-17-28-PM.png

Experimentation:
    01-17-21-6-21-18-PM.png
    01-17-21-6-38-07-PM.png
    01-17-21-6-39-01-PM.png
    01-17-21-6-38-47-PM.png
    01-17-21-6-39-21-PM.png

It's includes all EA hairs and some cc works but most doesn't yet. I also found that it doesn't count as CC if you use this mod so you can upload sims with edited hair to the gallery
    Post edited by Onverser on
  • Options
    bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    edited January 2021
    devs should eventually add them as well. the supposed thing stopping them was the game coding but they showed it's indeed possible with skintones so it would be a bit weird to not add them to the rest of cas now that even modders managed to do it.
    Post edited by bella_goth on
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,429 Member
    Onverser wrote: »
    The mod is out now on Patreon and I bought access so I wanted to share a few screenshots!

True black:
    01-17-21-6-20-49-PM.png

Light brown/dark blonde:
    01-17-21-6-19-29-PM.png
    01-17-21-6-08-51-PM.png
    01-17-21-6-26-53-PM.png
    01-17-21-6-27-50-PM.png
    01-17-21-6-29-40-PM.png

Pastel pink:
    01-17-21-6-17-28-PM.png

Experimentation:
    01-17-21-6-21-18-PM.png
    01-17-21-6-38-07-PM.png
    01-17-21-6-39-01-PM.png
    01-17-21-6-38-47-PM.png
    01-17-21-6-39-21-PM.png

It's includes all EA hairs but I think there's still bugs with it as 2/3 of the pack hairs didn't work. I also found that it doesn't count as CC if you use this mod so you can upload sims with edited hair to the gallery

Really nice that they are not considered CC. I assume they show up in other people's games with the original hair color?