Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sentiments do nothing for me

Hey guys,
I was super excited for the Sentiments to add new ways to play the game in the Sims 4 but I have to say after playing with them for a while I find the incredibly shallow in my game. They don't seem to do much:

- They only create moodlets during gameplay if the person you have a sentiment with is feeling some certain way.
- Many times they absolutely don't make sense or get triggered by the smallest things (sim gets uncomfortable from dirty dishes then partner get sad because the other sim is uncomfortable, all because of some dirty dishes)
- Unless you read what the moodlet is, you don't know what's happening. You can't see any effects from Sentiments in the actual gameplay, just read about it in moodlets, great.
- Since the mood system is also so bad in the Sims 4, the Sentiments don't help (btw why I think this game should be scrapped and replaced with a better base)
- In my game Sentiments seem to dissapear after exiting the game and re-entering.

So how has your experience been with Sentiments, do you even notice them? Do they affect your game? or are they just more text to read in your game as well?
Where's my Sims 5 squad at?

Comments

• Options
    calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    My experience is the same. I don't mind the extra moodlet but I rather they behave accordingly. I had a married couple who hurt each other during an argument but still spoke to each other, kissed and shared the bed.
  • Options
    BreeNillaBreeNilla Posts: 160 Member
    Yeah, they could definitely be better. I think the best part of them is that they aren't always mutual, but I do wish we just had one-sided relationships. Proximity buffs are fine, but I wish they did more than just affect the mood.

But then again, it's probably just a core issue. I really wish they would just go back and rework what's already in the game (Emotions, Traits...personality...) instead of piling more stuff on top of the broken foundation.
    8a597ff0f1eef1830795b3ae467ad12c6bb980ae.jpg
    I made a Sims 4 Save File set 15 years into the future using the premade sims by giving them family trees, storylines and lore, fixed and added relationships, and more!
    Check it out here! -> kookablarn.tumblr.com
  • Options
    somewhsomesomewhsome Posts: 910 Member
    Positive sentiments don't do much, but negative ones are fun. I have siblings who started arguing because brother had found sister's diary, and now they can't get along, both are hurt and angry.
  • Options
    PreCiiousPreCiious Posts: 353 Member
    edited March 2021
    Nevermind xD
    Post edited by PreCiious on
  • Options
    netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    edited December 2020
    They don’t seem to add much to the game and go away very quickly. Also they are annoying especially with toddlers my sim got a grudge towards her daughter as she threw a tantrum for being tired now the mum is angry at her all the time and I don’t know how to get rid of the sentiment and this one isn’t going away quickly which is annoying. I’ve seen other simmers post similar issues with sentiments related to toddlers.
  • Options
    Phantasm_H3mPhantasm_H3m Posts: 3 New Member
    Sentiments don't really do much for me and they dont really last that long. My sims are the same as they've always been. 🤷‍♀️ I think EA needs to improve em. Or make a memory system. Sentiments cant replace memories.
  • Options
    alexandreaalexandrea Posts: 2,432 Member
    I think a memory system might help the game but yeah...the sentiments don’t really do much for my gameplay either. It’s a shame because I was super excited for them.
    p6tqefj
  • Options
    Emusimmer32Emusimmer32 Posts: 257 Member
    Sims 4 has a memory system but its not the best and a lot of people dont know about it. You have to go in your screenshot capture and make a memory for a sim but the emotion they feel at the time of the screenshot is the emotion they'll get a buff for. So if you're sim just got promoted, had a baby, and is in a nicely decorated room, but their mother just got crushed by the murphy bed, they'll remember it as a happy memory. I mean, maybe they're just a psychopath.
  • Options
    Emusimmer32Emusimmer32 Posts: 257 Member
    Would like to see it be revamped a bit
  • Options
    bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    edited December 2020
    I like Sentiments- they're a step in the right direction.
    But I agree with what you're saying. I wish they had more of an effect on the sim's actions, or that they were stronger.
    They need to keep updating them to make them better. Also, they should definitely add more, make some of them particular to sims with certain traits. There's a lot of potential.
    If we ever get an Attraction System, I think the Sentiments will become more significant. Maybe one sim could have a crush on another? Or possibly a sim could have a Jealous sentiment towards another sim?
    I just hope they don't give up on it like they did with Whims.

I also agree with @alexandrea and @Phantasm_H3m that a revamped Memory System combined with Sentiments could work really well.
  • Options
    Renato10Renato10 Posts: 472 Member
    Yes. As usual a nice feature in theory ends up being pointless because the weak base game personality that The Sims 4 offers. The core of this game is the worst!

Nice tools and graphics for basically nothing is what The Sims 4 is .
  • Options
    keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    Hey guys,
    I was super excited for the Sentiments to add new ways to play the game in the Sims 4 but I have to say after playing with them for a while I find the incredibly shallow in my game. They don't seem to do much:

- They only create moodlets during gameplay if the person you have a sentiment with is feeling some certain way.
    - Many times they absolutely don't make sense or get triggered by the smallest things (sim gets uncomfortable from dirty dishes then partner get sad because the other sim is uncomfortable, all because of some dirty dishes)
    - Unless you read what the moodlet is, you don't know what's happening. You can't see any effects from Sentiments in the actual gameplay, just read about it in moodlets, great.
    - Since the mood system is also so bad in the Sims 4, the Sentiments don't help (btw why I think this game should be scrapped and replaced with a better base)
    - In my game Sentiments seem to dissapear after exiting the game and re-entering.

So how has your experience been with Sentiments, do you even notice them? Do they affect your game? or are they just more text to read in your game as well?

Agreed, I have hated the moodlet system since sims 3. I am not playing some pen and paper game where you write down how someone is feeling. These sims should be animating their feelings more and I don't mean stomping around a room.
  • Options
    TwelfthDoctor1TwelfthDoctor1 Posts: 31 Member
    I find Sentiments to be not useful enough, instead they could have revamp whims and add opportunities into the game, those are good features to have and act as a better forms things Sims could do.
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited December 2020
    I quite like them. Between this and the sim profiles it feels like a great "start" to something better. It will never be the best it could be until emotions are overhauled but it's a good addition. It has potential to be improved upon and more sentiments added. I think it does affect autonomy and relationships. Sometimes I feel like the reactions simmers want are too extreme. But we see from NAPS what happens when they go extreme. In real life you might have a gruge against your neighbor but you don't jump him and beat him up everytime to see him. Or slap around your ex girlfriend everytime you remember how much you hate her. I mean what exactly do you guys want them to do?😂

And yes I agree with OP they could use some tweaking though
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    keekee53 wrote: »

Agreed, I have hated the moodlet system since sims 3. I am not playing some pen and paper game where you write down how someone is feeling. These sims should be animating their feelings more and I don't mean stomping around a room.

I agree. with you 100%. The Sims 3 was not perfect either and the moodlets is one of those things I really didn't love. I do not want to sit around and read through all of my Sims moodlets to know what happening in their life. I just wanna see it!!!
    To be fair, some of the Sims 3 moodlets came with animations sometimes so you could actually see what happened and then look it up in the moodlets for more info, which is kind of okay to me.
    Moodlets are a great tool to look up things that happened during your gameplay, when you're not sure where they came from but shouldn't replace animations completely...
  • Options
    bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    Sentiments can cause some fun interactions if you have the mod Meaningful Stories, that fixes the emotions to make them less happy.
    My sister and brother sims are quickly starting to despise each other, they have a constant Festering Grudge Sentiment towards each other. Whenever they're near each other, they instantly become tense or angry, and then they insult each other. It's entertaining.

But without meaningful stories, I don't think it would be as interesting. The emotion system is just too shallow. I wish they'd just work with the mod creators to make the emotion system better, like they did with skin tones.
  • Options
    TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    bixters wrote: »
    Sentiments can cause some fun interactions if you have the mod Meaningful Stories, that fixes the emotions to make them less happy.
    My sister and brother sims are quickly starting to despise each other, they have a constant Festering Grudge Sentiment towards each other. Whenever they're near each other, they instantly become tense or angry, and then they insult each other. It's entertaining.

But without meaningful stories, I don't think it would be as interesting. The emotion system is just too shallow. I wish they'd just work with the mod creators to make the emotion system better, like they did with skin tones.

I agree With You. I have Meaningful stories at Sentiments are a game changer for me especially the negative one. I have by sim BFF become enemies without me doing anything because of the "Grudge" emotion and my sim "Mean" Trait. In Meaningful stories when the timer runs out the anger emotion wont go away. You need to replace it with a stronger positive emotion. But since it was not possible due to mean interactions and the mod removing the environment scores, it lasted long.
  • Options
    SallycutecatSallycutecat Posts: 269 Member
    In my game all the household get along and often get sentiments with eachother so when one is tired all are sad.
    I often have them gain a "closer from happy memories" sentiment with a Sim they literally just said hello to which makes no sense. They just met them, how could they have happy memories with them?
    I've had a Sim get 2 moodlets from sentiments with 2 different Sims who were in the room with him, 1 was a playful buff, the other a happy buff. This combined with the strong "had an awesome holiday" moodlet put his mood into Hysterical. How many points do they need to be hysterical? I thought it was 15, but he had 11. I think the only reason he survived is because teens can't die an emotional death, but now I'm worried the strong happy buffs from various events (holidays, lifestyles, sentiments, upgraded homes) combined with 1 playful buff will kill my Sim.

I've heard about toddlers being defiant and getting a negative sentiment with their parent. I hope they change that so it isn't so easily triggered for toddlers. Toddlers are often difiant in my game and I don't want them to be mean to eachother just cause the toddler threw a tantrum about doing something. That would ruin my game. I like to have all my Sims get along. I hope older Sims don't get a negative sentiment for disagreeing with eachother.
    Please check out my YouTube Channel. I cover features from The Sims 4 game.
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCaj9o4hycNSPy8U1Ip0OCFA/videos
  • Options
    SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    I often have them gain a "closer from happy memories" sentiment with a Sim they literally just said hello to which makes no sense. They just met them, how could they have happy memories with them?

@Sallycutecat Oh have you tried playing retail? I get the "closer from happy memories" with almost every single customer that comes into my store because of all the heavy interacting one needs to do to get them to buy something. Literally Sims will walk into the store never having seen my sim before and walk out with 1-2 positive sentiments from the retail interactions.
  • Options
    ReaganboganReaganbogan Posts: 278 Member
    My sims don't seem to change much based off sentiments. I wish they gave us more clickable interactions. I've seen one or two new ones but they go away quickly and the listening Sim has no new response so.... they don't do much for me.

I had Becca Clark fight her bf's side piece.
    They both had negative sentiments but when the side piece showed up as a bartender it was like they didn't even know each other. That is so lame. I just want a little drama as vanilla player, sheesh.