Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is there a way to keep/replace a sim's diploma in a new save?

I am planning on starting a new save soon, but then I realised I will lose my sim's graduation portrait and diploma. I know it's only a small thing, but I would really prefer to keep them since my sim worked so hard to get them! I have tried saving them to my tray, but the portrait then blacks out and the diploma becomes a generic one. I also tried deleting his degree trait to start over using cheats, but it still says he is unable to enrol as he already has the degree. Does anyone know a way around this?

Comments

• Options
    StarfreeStarfree Posts: 1,448 Member
    @annaliese39 depending on your reason for starting a new save, could you just do a "save as" and give the save a different name and make any changes, delete things/sims, etc to that? If you use the MCCC mod you can change your sims traits, relationships, etc. This way your sim could keep their pic & diploma.
  • Options
    annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    edited December 2020
    @Starfree Thanks for replying! I do want to change one of my sims traits and his relationships, but I also thought starting a new save might be useful since my current save is quite old now and there have been a lot of bug fixes recently. I am not having many issues though so I suppose I could simply use MCCC as you suggested. I have now managed to recover an older version of my sim at university, so I also could go back and redo his last term. I will lose some progress which is annoying, but oh well. :)
  • Options
    Good luck @annaliese39 and I hope you won't lose too much progress if you go back and redo his last term. I, on the other hand, have the fun problem of what to do with almost 2 mill simoleons lol. Not a bad problem considering he started with literally 0, sold a lot of paintings and crops to earn 100,000+ and then won the lottery :); then the interest he gets each week is quite a bit too. I've started gifting 10,000 simoleons to other sims he meets (he's very generous lol); he'll also be moving to Mt. Komorebi.
  • Options
    @Starfree If only real life was like that! My sim will be moving to Mt. Komorebi soon too. I think it will be the perfect place to start again. Happy Simming and Winterfest if you and your sims are celebrating! :)
  • Options
    @annaliese39 I know! And my sim Kirk did have a good Winterfest (it's spring now) and I hope to. Happy Winterfest & Simming to you too :).
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,973 Member
    Starfree wrote: »
    Good luck @annaliese39 and I hope you won't lose too much progress if you go back and redo his last term. I, on the other hand, have the fun problem of what to do with almost 2 mill simoleons lol. Not a bad problem considering he started with literally 0, sold a lot of paintings and crops to earn 100,000+ and then won the lottery :); then the interest he gets each week is quite a bit too. I've started gifting 10,000 simoleons to other sims he meets (he's very generous lol); he'll also be moving to Mt. Komorebi.

Where do you get interest from?
  • Options
    Sketch793Sketch793 Posts: 1,218 Member
    The Shrewd reward trait for completing Fabulously Wealthy. "Shrewd Sims receive a direct deposit each week based on their Household Funds."
  • Options
    @annaliese39, what @Sketch793 said. And with 1.5 mill the interest is between 70,000 & 75,000 simoleons. My sim Kirk definitely doesn't need to work right now lol.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,570 Member
    edited December 2020
    I am planning on starting a new save soon, but then I realised I will lose my sim's graduation portrait and diploma. I know it's only a small thing, but I would really prefer to keep them since my sim worked so hard to get them! I have tried saving them to my tray, but the portrait then blacks out and the diploma becomes a generic one. I also tried deleting his degree trait to start over using cheats, but it still says he is unable to enrol as he already has the degree. Does anyone know a way around this?

There's two ways to do it. Either take it off the wall and place it into the desired Sim's inventory, or if there is a lot you intend to move them into in a new save, place that lot somewhere in the current save, move your Sim to that lot and place the diploma and class picture onto the wall. Then upload the lot after you move the Sim back out again. (I've done this.) Had my six newly graduated Sims move into another lot with a friend. When something went awry, I uploaded just the lot to start all over again in a brand new save, also upload your Sim(s) to your My Library of the Gallery and when you create a new save, grab them from your Library to place them again. Sims uploaded from CAS keep their skills and their job plus their relationship with others in the very same lot. What you lose is any family and friends from the old save.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    @GalacticGal Thanks for responding. I tried your solution, but for some reason it doesn't work for me. Whenever I try to save/upload a lot with the diploma/photo in my tray/gallery and place it in a new save, I end up with a different diploma (i.e. art history without honours - my sim has language and literature with honours) with no ties to my sim and a blacked out photo. If I move him out before uploading, the diploma also disappears completely unless I delete him. My sim also loses everything in his inventory if I move him to a new save/upload him. I think I will just have to go back and redo his last term in a new save and hope I don't need to start again anytime soon.