Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Any descent pc spec for the sims 3 please?

JeansooJeansoo Posts: 3,606 Member
Hi I’m planning to get a new pc desktop soon but I heard there are tons of things to choose for windows.I like my 🖥 but always I feel the graphics cards are not that good for gaming. I’m currently using radeon pro 560 and I can see it’s being used about 80 to 90 percentage of gpu while playing the sims 3. I’m tired of Radeon graphics card from apple. Now I want to be free from radeon graphics card. Is there any good spec for pc? Thanks for all advice.

Comments

• Options
    puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    There are four important questions here:
    • Do you want to run the game at 60 fps, or would you like higher framerates? Some people can't tell the difference between 60 fps and higher, or between 75 and higher, but some can.
    • What resolution do you want to play on? The GPU needs to be faster to handle 2560x1440 than it does to run the game at 1920x1080. Additionally, 1080p can look fine on a 22" monitor but grainy on a 27" model.
    • Are you planning to play other games now, and/or do you want to futureproof the system for that possibility?
    • Does price come into play for the card or the system overall, or do you just want the best option?

Actually, there's a fifth question: Is the RTX 3080 available in your country right now, and if so, can I come over?
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    @puzzlezaddict
    thanks. i didn't know there are many options I should consider.

I want the perfect spec for the sims 3 on the resolution 2560 1440 with the better graphics card than the one I'm using at the moment. I don't want higher than this because I know the sims 3 won't be compatible with high end spec. Not sure which one can be better for the sims 3 between 60fps and 75? If the 75 works better, then I will take 75 please. I prefer the cheaper one includes monitor than the imac price. :D I can't afford to buy the imac 27 inches and that's why I'm considering to buy PC instead. :D

How much is RTX 3080? I haven't purchased the pc desktop myself. I always have been using imac. I purchased the pc laptop one day, I gave it to my son and got the new imac because I was not happy with monito at all. I got used to the apple glass monitor all the time.
  • Options
    Sims 3 is certainly compatible with high-end hardware, it's just not going to use all that extra power. There's no practical difference, either good or bad, once you get past a certain level. So if you're not going to play other demanding games, you don't need to spend the extra money, but it wouldn't be a bad thing to have a stronger system than necessary.

As far as framerates go, 75 isn't better than 60 unless you can tell the difference between 75 and 60. The question was more whether you want your graphics card to be able to maintain high fps, for example 120 or 144, rather than 60 or 75. But the refresh rate of your current screen is 60 Hz, so you may not mind similar fps.

Since you want to play at 2560x1440, I don't think you should go lower than an Nvidia 1660 (any variation). An AMD 5600 XT is somewhat faster, and an Nvidia 2060 is a bit faster than that. While you could certainly play just fine with a slower card, for example an Nvidia 1650 or an AMD 5500 XT, having a faster card buffers against the framerate drops that Sims 3 will produce on any system. To that end, a 1660 should be more than fine. But if you see a build with a 2060 for only a bit more money, it would be a good purchase.

Processors can be complicated, but any new system that has one of the above graphics cards should also have a CPU that's more than good enough for Sims 3. You will probably want at least 16 GB RAM at some point, but it's cheap and easy to install more whenever you want. So if a system you otherwise like a lot only has 8 GB installed, it's fine to get it and upgrade the memory yourself. You'll probably want a solid state drive of at least 500 GB, but Sims 3 won't really need even half of that, so you don't need more storage unless it's for other purposes. The difference between playing Sims 3 on an SSD vs. an HDD (mechanical drive) is significant though.

So, to summarize:
    • Graphics card: Nvidia GTX 1660 < AMD 5600 XT < Nvidia RTX 2060
    • Processor: Probably whatever comes with the GPU is fine
    • Memory: 16 GB is nice, 8 GB is enough, you can upgrade yourself
    • Storage: 500 GB SSD storage for Sims 3, Windows, and basic apps

For the monitor, there are always a number of good options, although getting one with a 2560x1440 resolution cuts down the list and also drives up the price. IPS/PLS panels are the highest quality, followed by VA/SVA; don't get a TN panel if you can avoid it. And figure out the size you want before you start shopping; it makes things a lot easier.

I'm not sure I'd know where to shop for you, but if you have any specific stores you'd like me to check out, feel free to link them. Or you can link individual builds you're considering. The same goes for the monitor, although I could link you some good options you'd find in the U.S. if you'd like a place to start.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Sims 3 is certainly compatible with high-end hardware, it's just not going to use all that extra power. There's no practical difference, either good or bad, once you get past a certain level. So if you're not going to play other demanding games, you don't need to spend the extra money, but it wouldn't be a bad thing to have a stronger system than necessary.

As far as framerates go, 75 isn't better than 60 unless you can tell the difference between 75 and 60. The question was more whether you want your graphics card to be able to maintain high fps, for example 120 or 144, rather than 60 or 75. But the refresh rate of your current screen is 60 Hz, so you may not mind similar fps.

Since you want to play at 2560x1440, I don't think you should go lower than an Nvidia 1660 (any variation). An AMD 5600 XT is somewhat faster, and an Nvidia 2060 is a bit faster than that. While you could certainly play just fine with a slower card, for example an Nvidia 1650 or an AMD 5500 XT, having a faster card buffers against the framerate drops that Sims 3 will produce on any system. To that end, a 1660 should be more than fine. But if you see a build with a 2060 for only a bit more money, it would be a good purchase.

Processors can be complicated, but any new system that has one of the above graphics cards should also have a CPU that's more than good enough for Sims 3. You will probably want at least 16 GB RAM at some point, but it's cheap and easy to install more whenever you want. So if a system you otherwise like a lot only has 8 GB installed, it's fine to get it and upgrade the memory yourself. You'll probably want a solid state drive of at least 500 GB, but Sims 3 won't really need even half of that, so you don't need more storage unless it's for other purposes. The difference between playing Sims 3 on an SSD vs. an HDD (mechanical drive) is significant though.

So, to summarize:
    • Graphics card: Nvidia GTX 1660 < AMD 5600 XT < Nvidia RTX 2060
    • Processor: Probably whatever comes with the GPU is fine
    • Memory: 16 GB is nice, 8 GB is enough, you can upgrade yourself
    • Storage: 500 GB SSD storage for Sims 3, Windows, and basic apps

For the monitor, there are always a number of good options, although getting one with a 2560x1440 resolution cuts down the list and also drives up the price. IPS/PLS panels are the highest quality, followed by VA/SVA; don't get a TN panel if you can avoid it. And figure out the size you want before you start shopping; it makes things a lot easier.

I'm not sure I'd know where to shop for you, but if you have any specific stores you'd like me to check out, feel free to link them. Or you can link individual builds you're considering. The same goes for the monitor, although I could link you some good options you'd find in the U.S. if you'd like a place to start.

Thank you very much indeed! :D I'm going to decide myself in December. I can stay where I am here in UAE or go back to my country. If I purchase 27 inches of monitor IPS, will it be more expensive includes all spec above than the imac 27 inch?

• Options
    I'm not sure what the prices would be where you're buying. But in the U.S., you might spend $900-1100, depending on sales and which other details were important to you, on the computer itself, and another $250+ on the monitor. I looked up QHD monitors and couldn't find anything for under $225, although there are a few quality options in that price range. (This may be totally different in other countries though.) If you want a couple examples:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1539982-REG/lg_27qn600_b_27_fhd_ips_1ms.html
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1456960-REG/acer_um_hv7aa_003_v277u_bmiipx_27_16_9.html

In contrast, the only iMac available with better than a Radeon Pro 5300 (faster than, but basically this year's version of, the Pro 560) starts at $2,300, and it comes with a Pro 5500 XT, which is significantly slower than an Nvidia 1600. Upgrading to the overpowered 5700 costs $300. So you'd still come out way ahead with a Windows PC.

When you're ready to buy, feel free to ask more questions about a system you're considering or any specific component.
  • Options
    I'm not sure what the prices would be where you're buying. But in the U.S., you might spend $900-1100, depending on sales and which other details were important to you, on the computer itself, and another $250+ on the monitor. I looked up QHD monitors and couldn't find anything for under $225, although there are a few quality options in that price range. (This may be totally different in other countries though.) If you want a couple examples:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1539982-REG/lg_27qn600_b_27_fhd_ips_1ms.html
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1456960-REG/acer_um_hv7aa_003_v277u_bmiipx_27_16_9.html

In contrast, the only iMac available with better than a Radeon Pro 5300 (faster than, but basically this year's version of, the Pro 560) starts at $2,300, and it comes with a Pro 5500 XT, which is significantly slower than an Nvidia 1600. Upgrading to the overpowered 5700 costs $300. So you'd still come out way ahead with a Windows PC.

When you're ready to buy, feel free to ask more questions about a system you're considering or any specific component.

https://www.apple.com/ae/shop/buy-mac/imac-pro
    OMG!! US is much cheaper than here.

20,999 United Arab Emirates Dirham equals
    5,716.81 United States Dollar

Then all PC prices can be much higher than US too. It looks like I can be ripped off here. I may better get a new one in Ireland. Thank you so much for showing the US price. You gave me huge help. Thank you again!!

• Options
    In fairness, the iMac Pro you linked would be $5,000 here. I was talking about the regular iMac, which would be just under 10,000 AED without an upgrade on the graphics card:

https://www.apple.com/ae/shop/buy-mac/imac/27-inch-3.8ghz-8-core-processor-with-turbo-boost-up-to-5.0ghz-512gb#

Still, you might find better prices in Europe. Computers do cost more in Ireland than in England or continental Europe. But there are companies that will ship from England for a low price (maybe €30), so that would save you some money.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    In fairness, the iMac Pro you linked would be $5,000 here. I was talking about the regular iMac, which would be just under 10,000 AED without an upgrade on the graphics card:

https://www.apple.com/ae/shop/buy-mac/imac/27-inch-3.8ghz-8-core-processor-with-turbo-boost-up-to-5.0ghz-512gb#

Still, you might find better prices in Europe. Computers do cost more in Ireland than in England or continental Europe. But there are companies that will ship from England for a low price (maybe €30), so that would save you some money.

Yes the price is the 2nd highest in Ireland. Many Irish goes for shopping to Belfast in Northern Ireland which still belongs to England. I thought imac pro was started from 2,300 usd. It surprised me. LOL But still a bit more expensive I think. Thank you. I appreciate your caring and tips. :D

• Options
    edited November 2020
    @puzzlezaddict Can I ask one more please? How do you think about the laptop instead of desktop? Because I heard there's always over heating while playing the sims 3 or 4 on laptop from other simmers. Which one do you recommend more? Thanks.
  • Options
    I wouldn't say a laptop always overheats when running those games. If the laptop is built well, its power and fan settings are properly implemented, and vertical sync is enabled, temperatures can be perfectly reasonable.

As an aside, I know someone whose laptop has an i7-9750H that was running around 95º C during a particular game (not Sims, something more intense). He undervolted the CPU a bit and brought it back down to 85º. So sometimes a small adjustment can fix a heat issue without impacting performance.

Anyway, I know a lot of people want laptops for other reasons, but if you don't need the portability and you have space for a desktop, that's almost always the better choice. Desktops run faster with the same hardware, both because the desktop versions are stronger and because desktops usually have much better cooling. More importantly, they're fixable and upgradable, unlike laptops, which have much less flexibility. If you're not happy with the internal temperatures on a desktop, you can add more fans or replace the CPU cooler; if you want another hard drive, just stick it in a drive bay and connect two cables; if you buy a new game that would benefit from a faster graphics card, swap it out. And if something breaks, you can replace that one component rather than needing to get a new computer.

Having said all that, laptops are much more convenient, so they're worth the hassle to many people. And there are certainly laptops that run Sims 3 on ultra graphics settings without overheating. So if you decide you want that instead, would be easy enough to find something suitable and not overly expensive.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Thank you very much for detailed explanation. The reason that I'm considering laptops instead of desktop is that I actually don't know how to deal with hardware stuff. I mean I've never changed any parts of the hardware in my life. That's why I preferred to use I mac instead of PC desktop because I don't have to do anything but cleaning the monitor and keyboard with I mac. :blush: Also there are many cables behind the windows desktop. It's actually annoying me. I'm afraid it can be broken if I open the case and clean inside in regular term. Too many things to look after the hardware. Well, I will think about this more. Thanks very much.:)
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    @puzzlezaddict
    Hi, could you recommend the pcs built with rtx 2060? If I don’t have to buy a mac, I can afford to get a descent pc. :) I’m planning to get a new one in January. Always I appreciate your caring. I realized I won’t be happy without the sims 3. I can give the mac mini to my son. I want the one has great cooler built in.

https://www.amazon.ae/s?k=RTX+2060+bult+desktop&ref=nb_sb_noss
    Post edited by Jeansoo on
  • Options
    izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    edited December 2020
    If you only play The Sims, GTX 1060 and 1660 is more than enough. RTX 2060 would be overkill even if you choose RTX 2060 I would rather wait for 3060TI to have more stocks since the performance is equal to that of RTX 2080 super but have the same price as RTX 2060.

Self-built pc is usually cheaper than the pre-build one.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Options
    izecson wrote: »
    If you only play The Sims, GTX 1060 and 1660 is more than enough. RTX 2060 would be overkill even if you choose RTX 2060 I would rather wait for 3060TI to have more stocks since the performance is equal to that of RTX 2080 super but have the same price as RTX 2060.

Long time no see! :D Happy new year! Thanks! wow!! 3060Ti!! If I can stay here longer this year, I will consider your tip. Currently, I'm not sure I can stay here where I currently live in that I can stay longer or go back to the country I used to live in. :)
  • Options
    Jeansoo wrote: »

Long time no see! :D Happy new year! Thanks! wow!! 3060Ti!! If I can stay here longer this year, I will consider your tip. Currently, I'm not sure I can stay here where I currently live in that I can stay longer or go back to the country I used to live in. :)

Haha I'm too busy playing assassin creed Valhalla so I don't lurk here as often, and happy new year to you too. I also am trying to save up for rtx 3060 ti myself as the current price in my country is too high due to high demand low supply
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    @izecson
    Luckily, I got a descent pc desktop with GTX1080Ti for free. The spec is i7 8700K 16Gb Ram, 500GB ssd. I’m trying to get a 27 inch monitor. Can I go for 27 inch 144Hz monitor with this spec? Will the sims 3 have less lagging with this monitor?
  • Options
    Good monitor wont help with the lagging but it does make everything smoother if it has higher refresh rate than the one you use, I have 144hz monitor and I am able to push the game to use 144hz refresh rate and it's very smooth and easy on the eye so far.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Options
    Good monitor wont help with the lagging but it does make everything smoother if it has higher refresh rate than the one you use, I have 144hz monitor and I am able to push the game to use 144hz refresh rate and it's very smooth and easy on the eye so far.

Thank you. I will pick the 144 Hz one. :)