Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Rentals saved to the gallery as residential?

Is it just me or is it impossible to save rentals with lot type rental to the gallery? They all say residential after I upload them? :(

Comments

• Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    Yes, rentals are saved as residential.

What people seem to be doing is adding a hashtag in the description #rental
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    Well they are residential. Don't think a rental needs it's own lot type or even hashtag. :smiley:
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited November 2020
    crocobaura wrote: »
    Well they are residential. Don't think a rental needs it's own lot type or even hashtag. :smiley:

How does that make sense? They do have their own lot type now, why wouldn't we want to upload them as rentals..?
  • Options
    SimTrippy wrote: »

How does that make sense? They do have their own lot type now, why wouldn't we want to upload them as rentals..?

They are residential as much as apartments are. You just pay differently for them.
  • Options

They are residential as much as apartments are. You just pay differently for them.

If I download a rental lot from the gallery marked as residential, won't I have to turn them into rental lots myself? Or will they magically pop up as rentals? And isn't it a little unintuitive if we can't even look for rentals specifically, since I myself decorate rentals in a different way than I decorate homes, and I assume others do too?
  • Options

If I download a rental lot from the gallery marked as residential, won't I have to turn them into rental lots myself? Or will they magically pop up as rentals? And isn't it a little unintuitive if we can't even look for rentals specifically, since I myself decorate rentals in a different way than I decorate homes, and I assume others do too?

Yes, you need to change the lot type to rental. I don't know about decorating, rentals are houses you rent for living, why would they be decorated differently? You don't get any different functionality from them. I make mine very basic, like hotel rooms, so they fit with any sim that rents the place.
  • Options

Yes, you need to change the lot type to rental. I don't know about decorating, rentals are houses you rent for living, why would they be decorated differently? You don't get any different functionality from them. I make mine very basic, like hotel rooms, so they fit with any sim that rents the place.

Yes well I'm sorry I don't want to have to change the lot type, I want to download rentals people created as rentals, not search for hashtags. They added rentals for a reason, no? They have their lot type so it'd be cool if they could be uploaded with their lot type to the gallery just like any other lot type we have.
  • Options

Yes well I'm sorry I don't want to have to change the lot type, I want to download rentals people created as rentals, not search for hashtags. They added rentals for a reason, no? They have their lot type so it'd be cool if they could be uploaded with their lot type to the gallery just like any other lot type we have.

I thought you can only upload apartments as rooms? It's easy enough to change the lot type, they probably didn't think it necessary to add it to the gallery since a rental is basically a residential place. Now, I just had a weird idea that we could rent houses and use them as places to do business, like sell arts and crafts and what not from there.
  • Options
    somewhsomesomewhsome Posts: 910 Member

Not all houses on the gallery are basic. Some have kids' rooms with tons of toys, and that's not what you usually see in a rental house. Sometimes residential homes just have more character, they can be done with a specific family in mind (that's what I usually do too).
    And even if a house is basic, for example, 4 bedroom house on the gallery usually means 2-3 kids bedrooms. Residential homes are more family-oriented, and what I would expect from a rental property is more generic bedrooms, maybe even with double beds only.
  • Options

I thought you can only upload apartments as rooms? It's easy enough to change the lot type, they probably didn't think it necessary to add it to the gallery since a rental is basically a residential place. Now, I just had a weird idea that we could rent houses and use them as places to do business, like sell arts and crafts and what not from there.

Yes correct, and I hate that about apartments too, but that's not really the discussion here.

We have a lot type, let me upload with that lot type. I'm not asking for height sliders here, this is a pretty basic request.
  • Options
    somewhsome wrote: »

Not all houses on the gallery are basic. Some have kids' rooms with tons of toys, and that's not what you usually see in a rental house. Sometimes residential homes just have more character, they can be done with a specific family in mind (that's what I usually do too).
    And even if a house is basic, for example, 4 bedroom house on the gallery usually means 2-3 kids bedrooms. Residential homes are more family-oriented, and what I would expect from a rental property is more generic bedrooms, maybe even with double beds only.

Well, if you like the house enough to add it to your game, then it should not be a problem to change it's lot type. The only thing that matters is the number of people it can accommodate, but even so, Graham showed in the live stream that you can rent additional beds and other stuff from the mail box.
  • Options

Well, if you like the house enough to add it to your game, then it should not be a problem to change it's lot type. The only thing that matters is the number of people it can accommodate, but even so, Graham showed in the live stream that you can rent additional beds and other stuff from the mail box.

Look we get it, you don't mind, I do. Can you stop arguing against something that would be incredibly easy to add / fix, and doesn't impact your life anyway?
  • Options

Sure it's not a big problem, but it would be nice to easily find houses that people have designed as rentals.
    Hashtags are useful, but some builders just don't use them.
  • Options

Look we get it, you don't mind, I do. Can you stop arguing against something that would be incredibly easy to add / fix, and doesn't impact your life anyway?

I'm not arguing against it, just trying to understand why it's difficult to change the lot type.
  • Options

Sure it's not a big problem, but it would be nice to easily find houses that people have designed as rentals.

Like I said before, they are houses, there's nothing to make them special as rentals other than the rental price. Their most important feature is the number of beds and bathrooms. I would think it would be a good idea to have a separate rental lot type in the gallery if you want to search by rental cost. I imagine some mansions would be very expensive to rent.
  • Options

Like I said before, they are houses, there's nothing to make them special as rentals other than the rental price. Their most important feature is the number of beds and bathrooms. I would think it would be a good idea to have a separate rental lot type in the gallery if you want to search by rental cost. I imagine some mansions would be very expensive to rent.

Well, it depends on how you gonna use them. For me, they are quite different. For example, I would like to rent a house for a wedding/a fancy party. So there's should be a wedding arch, a reception area, some places for entertainment, etc. Some stuff you don't usually find in a common residential home. Maybe in a mansion with ten bedrooms.
    I'm going to build something like this myself, anyway, because it's a very specific lot, but tagging it as “residential” on the gallery would feel strange.
    Why can't we just have the lot type.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited November 2020

I'm not arguing against it, just trying to understand why it's difficult to change the lot type.

Because some like options even though I see what you saying but some just like the option of DLing an lot already with the lot type designated with rental and not going in and change the type. I do not see no problem with lots having an residential or rental designation. Lots before DLing can be designated as rental or residential as you can choose between unfurnished and furnished currently. Options in most of the cases in this game are best.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options

Well, it depends on how you gonna use them. For me, they are quite different. For example, I would like to rent a house for a wedding/a fancy party. So there's should be a wedding arch, a reception area, some places for entertainment, etc. Some stuff you don't usually find in a common residential home. Maybe in a mansion with ten bedrooms.
    I'm going to build something like this myself, anyway, because it's a very specific lot, but tagging it as “residential” on the gallery would feel strange.

As far as I know you can only elope while on vacation so there will be no fancy wedding.
  • Options

As far as I know you can only elope while on vacation so there will be no fancy wedding.

Ah, haven't tried it yet. Parties are available, anyway!
  • Options
    edited November 2020

You absolutely are but that's beside the point.

Look if I'm looking for, say, 10 rentals for Newcrest, I'd like to a) be able to search for lots people have built as rentals, not homes (and yes, sorry, most rentals don't look like actual homes), b) not have to go into 10 different builds just to change the lot type when that lot type already exists.

To me this looks more like an oversight than a feature (??) but it's cool, oversights happen. It'd just be neat if they could fix/add it. Again, you might not give two cents but it would make my life easier without impacting yours. And I'm sure I'm not the only one that thinks so.
  • Options

Look if I'm looking for, say, 10 rentals for Newcrest, I'd like to a) be able to search for lots people have built as rentals, not homes (and yes, sorry, most rentals don't look like actual homes), b) not have to go into 10 different builds just to change the lot type when that lot type already exists.

To me this looks more like an oversight than a feature (??) but it's cool, oversights happen. It'd just be neat if they could fix/add it. Again, you might not give two cents but it would make my life easier without impacting yours. And I'm sure I'm not the only one that thinks so.

We've had rental lot type since Outdoor Retreat, so I don't think this is an oversight.
  • Options
    edited November 2020

We've had rental lot type since Outdoor Retreat, so I don't think this is an oversight.

Yes but we haven't had it in all worlds since. Kinda makes sense to add this now, no?

Anyway again, let's just agree to disagree, I'm done arguing over why I would like this with you :D
  • Options

Yes but we haven't had it in all worlds since. Kinda makes sense to add this now, no?

Anyway again, let's just agree to disagree, I'm done arguing over why I would like this with you :D

Don't know why it would make more sense to do now, but whatever. For your sake, hope they do add it at some point, maybe next time they update the gallery. :smiley:
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member

This is false. Not all rentals are houses, and I also would design a rental differently than a regular home. I want to be able to search for lots that simmers created specifically to be rented.
  • Options
    Okay, I've just checked, and you can actually host a wedding on a rental lot in a normal world! Yay.