Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Game Play.

Hey guys I'm finding it hard to not play my Sims 4 game without having my laptop plugged in, and I feel like I'm having it plugged in all the time and it's "damaging" my laptop. My game just runs a lot better when I have it plugged in compared to when I don't have it plugged in. Does anyone have any advice on what I can do? Please and Thank you :)

Comments

• Options
    izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    Court322 wrote: »
    Hey guys I'm finding it hard to not play my Sims 4 game without having my laptop plugged in, and I feel like I'm having it plugged in all the time and it's "damaging" my laptop. My game just runs a lot better when I have it plugged in compared to when I don't have it plugged in. Does anyone have any advice on what I can do? Please and Thank you :)

Detach the battery from the laptop when you only exclusively play on it plugged in that way you dont damage the battery, you dont damage the laptop just because it's plugged in 24/7
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Options
    Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,126 Member
    The internal battery is dying, and the only thing you can do is replace it. Leaving your laptop plugged in won't cause any harm
  • Options
    Court322Court322 Posts: 108 Member
    Thank you for the tips, I'll give them a try.
  • Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    Well you shouldn’t game on battery anyway due to all the throttling that will occur to conserve power.

The risk in having your laptop plugged in all the time is that it will eventually de-calibrate and “forget” what a full charge is.

The simplest answer is, plug your laptop in when you play, and unplug it when you don’t. Especially overnight. This will allow the battery to “work” and help prevent de-calibration. You will also probably want to let it run a full cycle to empty at least once in a while.
  • Options
    HillyBethHillyBeth Posts: 3,505 Member
    edited November 2020
    The internal battery is dying, and the only thing you can do is replace it. Leaving your laptop plugged in won't cause any harm

I have that issue with my laptop, but I haven't played on it in two years since I was given permission to reset and use my grandma's desktop, which she got not long before she passed away. The laptop only has 2GB of RAM and the desktop has 4GB of RAM. I may ask for an upgrade on my next birthday since Christmas is too close.
    Origin ID
    HillyPlays
    P.A.C.E- Positive Attitude Changes Everything
  • Options
    thatpinkcoconutthatpinkcoconut Posts: 187 Member
    > @izecson said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > Detach the battery from the laptop when you only exclusively play on it plugged in that way you dont damage the battery, you dont damage the laptop just because it's plugged in 24/7

I second this. Whenever you're getting the itch to play all night long, remove your laptop battery. Batteries decay over time, and a bit faster when taken care of really poorly... overcharging it is one example of doing it that way
  • Options
    Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,126 Member
    > @izecson said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > Detach the battery from the laptop when you only exclusively play on it plugged in that way you dont damage the battery, you dont damage the laptop just because it's plugged in 24/7

I second this. Whenever you're getting the itch to play all night long, remove your laptop battery. Batteries decay over time, and a bit faster when taken care of really poorly... overcharging it is one example of doing it that way

You can't overcharge a laptop battery, that have shut-off protection once they reach a full charge
  • Options
    WyrrenWyrren Posts: 724 Member
    I leave my laptop charging all the time. Battery still works okay... Only had this computer since July though. But I accidently unplug it too often to take out the battery. Mostly I just game or watch netflix which drains a lot of power, so having it on battery isn't a good idea. Also plugged in to the USB is a laptop cooling pad for certain games, so that takes extra power. It's just easier for me to leave it like this and use tablet or phone for other things. :D
    Origin ID: Wyrren