Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why can't Sims Buy or Rent Snowboard/Skis/Sled?

SkidoodilybopSkidoodilybop Posts: 123 Member
**Updated**
I stand corrected. I just watched EnglishSimmer's gameplay video, and she shows the vending machines that sell equipment!

__

Weirdly obvious, yet missed opportunity! In real life we all have the choice to rent equipment at the slopes if we don't have our own... why can't we do that in The Sims?

If College students are encouraged to have a bike they can equip and there's a kiosk that supplies them, wouldn't it make sense that a Snowy Escape expansion pack that has a mountain specifically for your Sims to sled/ski/snowboard down would include a rabbit hole or kiosk for purchasable snow-sport equipment?

If our Sims could buy their own set of Skis, a snowboard or sled, how cool would it be to choose their unique color/design swatch and display the equipment in their room like the surfboard in previous Sim renditions. That way they can equip it when they travel to Mt. Komorebi! It feels more personal - especially for sporty sims who enjoy a Snowy Escape-esque lifestyle.

If sims aren't sure they want to invest in snow activity equipment, there should at least be a rabbit hole by the slopes where they can rent skis, a snowboard or sled! If Sims love the experience, and you want to take them up the mountain regularly, your Sims should be able to choose to rent every time they go, or buy their own in Buy Mode or from the rental rabbit hole!
Post edited by Skidoodilybop on

Comments

• Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    From what I've seen, you do rent - it just happens automatically when you tell a sim without skis or a snowboard in their inventory to go skiing. Or you can buy from the vending machine. They're also available in Buy Mode. The only thing that's hidden in debug is the sled.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    From what I've seen, you do rent - it just happens automatically when you tell a sim without skis or a snowboard in their inventory to go skiing. Or you can buy from the vending machine. They're also available in Buy Mode. The only thing that's hidden in debug is the sled.

Where did you see this? I watched the Official Live Stream and no one mentioned a vending machine for equipment, or equipment in Buy Mode, and I haven't seen anything about it in any other gameplay streams :o
  • Options
    DaWaterRat wrote: »

Where did you see this? I watched the Official Live Stream and no one mentioned a vending machine for equipment, or equipment in Buy Mode, and I haven't seen anything about it in any other gameplay streams :o

Dr. Gluon's let's play and Build - Buy review. It's possible that the skis were also in debug now that I think about it.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Dr. Gluon's let's play and Build - Buy review. It's possible that the skis were also in debug now that I think about it.

I just watched a couple of his Snowy Escape videos, and no one rents anything, and I can't find anything about a Kiosk for Snowy sports. The Sims just happen to automatically have a snowboard just for the act of boarding down the hill. It's just an action with a prop to accompany that action.

I did find the video where DrGluon is going through all the objects in Build/Buy Mode, and he places skis and snowboards, and shows different swatches which were cool, so thanks for telling me about that! I wonder if you can hang them on the wall? It'd be cool if you could prop them up vertically against a wall as well, like in the corner of a room.

• Options
    Evilyn_1007Evilyn_1007 Posts: 762 Member
    In the livestream at 49:16 they show that you can buy sports equipment at a koisk.
  • Options

I just watched a couple of his Snowy Escape videos, and no one rents anything, and I can't find anything about a Kiosk for Snowy sports. The Sims just happen to automatically have a snowboard just for the act of boarding down the hill. It's just an action with a prop to accompany that action.

I did find the video where DrGluon is going through all the objects in Build/Buy Mode, and he places skis and snowboards, and shows different swatches which were cool, so thanks for telling me about that! I wonder if you can hang them on the wall? It'd be cool if you could prop them up vertically against a wall as well, like in the corner of a room.

As I said, it happens automatically, so he may not have commented. Oceansims does comment, I think. Or someone does, and as the only Let's plays I'm watching are Gluon, Oceansims, and Deli, it has to be one of those three.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    It says here that you can rent skis and snowboards and the rented skis will make your feet hurt.

https://sims-online.com/skiing-snowboarding-sledding-sims-4-snowy-escape/

I think Graham explained in the live stream that you can either buy or rent them from one of those vending machines.
  • Options
    joRN1414joRN1414 Posts: 1,669 Member
    edited November 2020
    In the main livestream when the family is on the slopes. Supplies can be auto-rented (poor quality) when given the ski/snowboard/sled option or purchased at a vending machine (much better quality). Just like ski wear and climbing gear can be bought at the vending machine too... etc.

Oops, sorry, just saw that you got the info.
    "Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" -Auntie Mame
  • Options
    QLomitaQLomita Posts: 2 New Member
    I searched and found this post because I can’t figure out a way to sled or even buy one.
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    I haven't even seen any sleds in buymode. How do you buy them?
  • Options
    babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    You can buy skis and snowboards, but not sleds. Sleds just appear when you go sledding down the bunny slope.
  • Options
    QLomitaQLomita Posts: 2 New Member
    [quote="babajayne;c-17726139"]You can buy skis and snowboards, but not sleds. Sleds just appear when you go sledding down the bunny slope.[/quote]
    How are you supposed to sled down the bunny slope? Can only kids do it?
    I only have the option to ski or snowboard when I click it
  • Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,378 Member
    I normally have debug on because of picking up stuff for spellcasters, and sleds, snowboards and skiis are in there. I sent one sim to the mountain, had him try to buy equipment from the Bits and Bobbles vending machine. It ended up STEALING my sim's money as it "got stuck" and no amount of pushing it would make it unstuck. That's when I said to "he**" with this and bought them in buy debug.
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    babajayne wrote: »
    You can buy skis and snowboards, but not sleds. Sleds just appear when you go sledding down the bunny slope.

That's too bad I was hoping we could pick from various colors and patterns on sleds.
  • Options
    bshag4lv wrote: »
    I normally have debug on because of picking up stuff for spellcasters, and sleds, snowboards and skiis are in there. I sent one sim to the mountain, had him try to buy equipment from the Bits and Bobbles vending machine. It ended up STEALING my sim's money as it "got stuck" and no amount of pushing it would make it unstuck. That's when I said to "he**" with this and bought them in buy debug.

Can you change the color of the sled in buydebug?
  • Options
    SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    I also just came to the thread to try and find out how to get a sled-) Thanks everyone :)
  • Options
    GreatestPlannerGreatestPlanner Posts: 78 Member
    I hate that vending machine.. Such a lazy way to replace buyer/seller animations and it removes to truly getting the feeling you are actually doing something in a game.

Now we can expect this to come in every pack where we can 'buy' items. Realm of magic with it's shops or the food venues seemed a better way to turn.
  • Options
    I hate that vending machine.. Such a lazy way to replace buyer/seller animations and it removes to truly getting the feeling you are actually doing something in a game.

Now we can expect this to come in every pack where we can 'buy' items. Realm of magic with it's shops or the food venues seemed a better way to turn.

I like the soda and snack ones though. They come in handy in Sulani.