Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I need some advice please about seeing a dentist

BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
Due to a fear of dentistry I've avoided going to a dentist for a long time, but now due to needing a filling I've got to go very soon.

The problem I have is that I'm pathologically terrified of needles, and I'll encounter one when they give me a local anaesthetic.
I've always found injections to be very painful as I have basically zero pain tolerance.

For those of you who have had a local anaesthetic injection at a dentists, how painful honestly is the injection? what does it feel like?
Gallery ID: babysquare

Comments

• Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member
    edited October 2020
    I have like 4 fillings in my mouth and they've never used local anesthetic injection for me. Or at least, not that I notice. :D I think they just put some kinda numbness gel or something like that.

Getting fillings is not painful at all except one time where the dentist was like trying to pull my front left tooth away from the other cuz the hole is like hidden on the side and that almost made me tear up. And I have very high pain tolerance. :D But if the hole you have on your tooth is easy to get to, then you don't need to worry. I'm just a special case. XD

Overall, I don't think your dentist would give you anesthetic injection for a filling. It's supposed to be a painless process. I think? But it can also depend on your case. Anesthesia is only for like surgery where they will have to cut into your gum, or if you have to remove your wisdom teeth, or any other teeth, etc.

But maybe the best is for you to just close your eyes and not look at what you're doing. Sometimes I open my eyes and I see all those tools they're gonna put in my mouth and I start to be like, "IS THAT A NEEDLE? IS THAT A MINI DRILL. WHAT IS THAT??!!" But then it's not painful at all, so yeah.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    DeKay wrote: »
    I have like 4 fillings in my mouth and they've never used local anesthetic injection for me. Or at least, not that I notice. :D

Getting fillings is not painful at all except one time where the dentist was like trying to pull my front left tooth away from the other cuz the hole is like hidden on the side and that almost made me tear up. And I have very high pain tolerance. :D But if the hole you have on your tooth is easy to get too, then you don't need to worry. I'm just a special case. XD

Overall, I don't think your dentist would give you anesthesia for a filling. It's supposed to be a painless process. Anesthesia is only for like surgery where they will have to cut into your gum, or if you have to remove your wisdom teeth, or any other teeth, etc.

But maybe the best is for you to just close your eyes and not look at what you're doing. Sometimes I open my eyes and I see all those tools they're gonna put in my mouth and I start to be like, "IS THAT A NEEDLE? IS THAT A MINI DRILL. WHAT IS THAT??!!" But then it's not painful at all, so yeah.

It's one of my middle front teeth, and the hole is right on the inside edge, flush up against the other front tooth. Also part of the back of the tooth broke off last night.
  • Options
    BabySquare wrote: »
    DeKay wrote: »
    I have like 4 fillings in my mouth and they've never used local anesthetic injection for me. Or at least, not that I notice. :D

Getting fillings is not painful at all except one time where the dentist was like trying to pull my front left tooth away from the other cuz the hole is like hidden on the side and that almost made me tear up. And I have very high pain tolerance. :D But if the hole you have on your tooth is easy to get too, then you don't need to worry. I'm just a special case. XD

Overall, I don't think your dentist would give you anesthesia for a filling. It's supposed to be a painless process. Anesthesia is only for like surgery where they will have to cut into your gum, or if you have to remove your wisdom teeth, or any other teeth, etc.

It's one of my middle front teeth, and the hole is right on the inside edge, flush up against the other front tooth. Also part of the back of the tooth broke off last night.

Oh boy, cuz that's like me with the front tooth. XD Okay, but to be fair, I did go to two different dentists. The first one was really rough with my tooth and it was painful, the second one was okay. And since you have zero pain tolerance, I suggest you get that anesthesia. :D The needle is gonna be less painful than the dentist trying to pry apart your teeth, I'm sure. The needle is just gonna hurt for a short while like a sharp poke or like an 'ant bite'. :) Again, this is all different for each person. Like I said, I have high pain tolerance and I'm not scared of injections. So my feeling of a sharp poke might be different than how you would feel. 🙈

But injections on the gum is just mainly on the surface of the gum compared to like getting an injection on your arm where it goes much deeper. So, it should be less scary, in my opinion at least.
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    edited November 2020
    Deleted
    Post edited by bella_goth on
  • Options
    Good news!

I have an appointment booked for a general checkup, assessment and xrays with a surgery about 10 minutes from my house.

I'm having to go private as the NHS waiting list is months long, but the treatments are only a few pounds more, and after the initial appointment I should be able to schedule treatment for a couple of weeks later.

I asked about anaesthetic, and they do use a local anaesthetic injection for fillings (as is standard practice here in the UK) and they can use a numbing gel before they give the injection at no extra cost.
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    I was going to mention the numbing gel. I have extreme fear of dentist but it's not worth it to neglect your teeth because I ended up needing a root canal from avoiding it so long. Only to realize in the end I had to eventually go to the dentist one way or another 😑
    Luckily I just needed one. There are always going to be moments of discomfort but the numbing gel helps a lot.

The most helpful thing I have found is having a nice understanding dentist. My current dentist is the best I've ever had who is really kind and talks me through the whole thing, stops at any slight pain and always makes sure I'm comfortable.
    It has taken my fear down atleast 50% and I'm more comfortable going
    Hopefully you find a dentist like that!
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    5782341b77vl5782341b77vl Posts: 9,149 Member
    Wisdom teeth caused me to have really bad crooked teeth, and that lead to areas that my toothbrush can't clean... plus occasional bitten cheek! :confounded: I'm most likely just going to have to deal with it, since my wisdom teeth grew in sideways. Unfortunately none of them went thru the gums, which would (most likely) mean surgery, which I can't afford! :cry:

All I can say is when y'all go to the dentist, take care of that beautiful smile of yours! :smiley: Bitten cheeks are never fun!
    ...AND WASH YOUR DING-DANG HANDS!
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Wisdom teeth caused me to have really bad crooked teeth, and that lead to areas that my toothbrush can't clean... plus occasional bitten cheek! :confounded: I'm most likely just going to have to deal with it, since my wisdom teeth grew in sideways. Unfortunately none of them went thru the gums, which would (most likely) mean surgery, which I can't afford! :cry:

All I can say is when y'all go to the dentist, take care of that beautiful smile of yours! :smiley: Bitten cheeks are never fun!

Oh my gosh, I used to have bitten cheeks often when my wisdom teeth were coming in and I asked the dentist if I had to remove them but he said no. But now the teeth came up quite okay I guess, cuz they don't bite into my cheeks anymore.
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    pinneduphairpinneduphair Posts: 918 Member
    I also avoided the dentist for years because of fear. I finally went last year, and while there can be some discomfort, it was nowhere near as bad as I was afraid of. Also, it's such a huge relief to have my teeth repaired and no longer be worrying about them getting worse. I was at the point where I was so worried about my teeth, that I'd constantly have nightmares about them falling out. Now that's stopped!
    The most helpful thing I have found is having a nice understanding dentist.

This 100%. I just had my wisdom teeth removed a little over a week ago, and the fact that the oral surgeon, as well as the nurses who assisted him, were so gentle & compassionate made the experience much less stressful. It relaxes my nerves so much to feel like a dentist actually understands and cares about the fact that I'm anxious.

• Options
    Yeah, nice dentists and their assistants are helpful. There were quite a few times where the nurse I had was like judging me and like shaking her head and shizz, or sometimes I get scolded terribly for not using a mouth wash or flossing my teeth. 🤦‍♀️

Like, yoooo, if my mouth was so perfect, then you won't have a job. Shut the heck up. 😂 😂 😂 Sorry, it got a little personal there. LOL.
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,877 Member
    I have the same fear of dentists and needles. I refused to go to the dentist for a while as a kid and my teeth got damaged so don’t do the same mistake.

I’m sensitive to pain, but honestly the anesthetic shot isn’t painful, at my last dentist I barely felt it. It hurts a little for a few seconds and then it’s fine. I find it hurts less than taking a blood sample for instance.
  • Options
    BMSOBMSO Posts: 3,273 Member
    edited October 2020
    I used to have a fear of dentist and I still am slightly terrified of needles but only the big ones they use when you give an IVY at the hospital.

Usually they stick ya with a needle on the side of your cheek depending on which side of your mouth that is infected and in which case it just feels like someone is pinching your cheek. It's not painful, just annoying until your mouth goes numb then it just feels funny.
    Bmso85's emporium - mysims4studios

• Options
    Ray_TraceRay_Trace Posts: 509 Member
    To me, getting a shot in the mouth is exactly like getting a shot in your arm: the thought of it is the worst aspect about it, rather than the actual sensation, and it is around as irritating and just a teeny bit painful as one. I think as long as you don't stare at what they do in your mouth, you should be fine.

I was never terrified of dentists. Water picks are annoying at worst. My twin sister isn't as lucky compared to me when it comes to teeth though, she had cavities, teeth stains, and even wore braces at one point in her life.
    A1hnP0t.png
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    BabySquare wrote: »
    Due to a fear of dentistry I've avoided going to a dentist for a long time, but now due to needing a filling I've got to go very soon.

The problem I have is that I'm pathologically terrified of needles, and I'll encounter one when they give me a local anaesthetic.
    I've always found injections to be very painful as I have basically zero pain tolerance.

For those of you who have had a local anaesthetic injection at a dentists, how painful honestly is the injection? what does it feel like?

its not you want feel much at all
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    Ok, so an emergency situation meant I'm having to postpone my appointment - water started spraying out under the kitchen sink the night before my appointment and on the day we had to wait in for the plumber as we had to turn the water off and had no running water for almost 24hrs.

My inheritance from my grandmother, who tragically passed away this July is due to be released within the next 4 months and I'm going to wait until then as I suspect I won't be able to afford the treatment until then.
  • Options
    MoQMoQ Posts: 16 Member
    > @BabySquare said:
    > Ok, so an emergency situation meant I'm having to postpone my appointment - water started spraying out under the kitchen sink the night before my appointment and on the day we had to wait in for the plumber as we had to turn the water off and had no running water for almost 24hrs.
    >
    > My inheritance from my grandmother, who tragically passed away this July is due to be released within the next 4 months and I'm going to wait until then as I suspect I won't be able to afford the treatment until then.

Most dental places will work with you to set up a payment plan if you're in a pinch.
    If your dental situation gets urgent, don't let worrying about money come before your health.
  • Options
    MoQ wrote: »
    > @BabySquare said:
    > Ok, so an emergency situation meant I'm having to postpone my appointment - water started spraying out under the kitchen sink the night before my appointment and on the day we had to wait in for the plumber as we had to turn the water off and had no running water for almost 24hrs.
    >
    > My inheritance from my grandmother, who tragically passed away this July is due to be released within the next 4 months and I'm going to wait until then as I suspect I won't be able to afford the treatment until then.

Most dental places will work with you to set up a payment plan if you're in a pinch.
    If your dental situation gets urgent, don't let worrying about money come before your health.

True. We're going into a 2nd month-long lockdown on Thursday so it'll probably be emergency appointments only.