Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

sims 3 mac version?

after i updated origin i recieved a random new version of the sims 3 on my library thats legit the sims 3 but only for mac? i do know theres suposd to be a 64bit version of mac coming out but does anyone know if there will be a windows version too?

Comments

• Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited October 2020
    The new Mac version hasn't been released yet. Everyone (including me) who sees the new additional TS3 icon in Origin for Mac says that it's just a placeholder that currently leads to a failed download.

There have been no official announcements from EA team members who would know what they are talking about concerning a 64-bit version of TS3 for Windows except one was very careful to say recently that doesn't mean there might not be one someday.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    edited October 2020
    Im really sad, im still hoping they surprise us with 64 bit update for windows.

Although i have a macbook pro 2019, i wont use it because it's owned by my employer for work stuff only.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Options
    adamzaidadamzaid Posts: 1,999 Member
    lets hope they will suprise us
  • Options
    thesimmer14thesimmer14 Posts: 393 Member
    I wonder if this will break mods... probably. @igazor would probably be able to answer that :)
  • Options
    @thesimmer14 - My expectation is that the patch level will be raised, or at least the internal build number will change, and that will require an update to Core Mods so as to avoid the core version mismatch warning at startup -- which usually can be clicked through anyway. There are only five TS3 Core Mods in popular usage (NRaas ErrorTrap happens to be one of them and we will react accordingly when the time comes as will other developers who are still "at their desks").

The vast majority of TS3 mods, meaning other than these five and that includes the other popular NRaas mods, are Script Mods, Tuning Mods, and scripted objects. Then there's CC. None of that should care about the install platform, 32 vs. 64 bits, or patch/version numbers, these things all run within the game and not external to it.

But all we can really do is predict and wait until we actually have something released to examine and work with.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    HillyBethHillyBeth Posts: 3,505 Member
    edited October 2020
    adamzaid wrote: »
    after i updated origin i recieved a random new version of the sims 3 on my library thats legit the sims 3 but only for mac? i do know theres suposd to be a 64bit version of mac coming out but does anyone know if there will be a windows version too?

I got it too. But I don't even play on a Mac. So it's only a placeholder for the impending Sims 3 update?

@igazor I'm in trouble mod-wise! I have a sub-folder dedicated to your mods plus many core mods for better gameplay.
    Origin ID
    HillyPlays
    P.A.C.E- Positive Attitude Changes Everything
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    @HillyBeth - No one is updating TS3 for Windows and nothing is happening that will affect mods nor players on Windows right now.

When the new TS3 for Mac version is really available, as right now it is not because the new entry in Origin doesn't lead to anything that can be downloaded for Mac users either, then we will see about the five popular Core Mods in usage for Mac users. Windows users can just ignore the noise in the meantime. Maybe EA will later find a way to suppress the new "Mac Only" entry that right now is just taking up screen space and nothing more for those on Windows.

And once again (not sure how else to say this so I'll just keep repeating it), there are only five TS3 Core Mods unless players have gone off and developed their own Core Mods for their own usage -- always a possibility, but most players don't have the means to do this as it's all very complicated and requires C# programming skills. No one has "many" Core Mods because certain combinations of them would conflict with each other.

Just because we think a mod is important doesn't make it a Core Mod. Here are the Big Five:

NRaas ErrorTrap
    NRaas UntranslatedKey (this is for developers)
    CMarNYC's XCAS (full version)
    Consort's 2X Weight/Fitness
    AwesomeMod

That's it. There was a sixth one for a while, gamefreak130's World Loading Screen mod, but he redid that one into v2 almost a year ago so that it is no longer a Core Mod thus it came off the list.

No matter how complex other mods are, such as NRaas MasterController or StoryProgression for some good examples, they are not Core Mods. They are Script Mods. All of the developers of the Big Five are still active except for Consort (though he still might be reachable somehow) and I am sure they will happily update their Core Mods as required if/when the time comes. But even if they don't, all that should happen is a core version mismatch warning screen at startup that can be clicked through.

And, once again, this is only currently relevant for Mac users when this new version is finally released which as of right now it has not been. For Windows users, there is nothing to see here. It's natural to be curious, but please move along. :)
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!