Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Makeup on Darker Hues - 10-6 patch update review

So, I always played with uncompressed Sim textures - but darker hued sims could not wear all of the make up, it looked awful on them. I am glad to see they fixed that. Although I personally may not choose these colors for my sims unless I am going for a particular theme, I am glad that I am no longer relegated to the same three in game shades that look good on darker hued sims.
2020-10-06-19-13-40.png

However, they need to work on the lighting when it comes to the darker hued sims - the shadow detail is just not there so the definition is lost and they are just flat and you can't see their features well.
2020-10-06-19-02-33.png

This dark grey sim looks better than the dark brown sim (also glad you can now distinguish between dark grey and dark brown sims). The red sim also needs some better contrast too. Hopefully with the sliders in December that will fix the red sim, but the hue looks slightly better now.

You see it best with the lighter hued sims. Their details are nicely defined while the dark brown hued sim her details are lost and she looks flat.
2020-10-06-19-05-35.png

While we are at it that afro needs to be fixed. I read about cauliflower being used as a basis for how the afro would be created. That was wrong on so many levels. Hopefully the team reached out to artists like the modder Ebonix who creates great CC hair in the game to fix some of the textured hair.

This hair texture looks like they didn't apply her wig correctly. Um, they need to fix that.
Hues-10-6-2020-08.png

Well, this is a nice start to the update of the hues and like I said above, being able to use the make up on darker hued sims is a win.
wocka wocka wockaWho gave that puppy asparagus?please do not send me private messages - they creep me out 🤢🤮😱

Comments

• Options
    K_PlaysK_Plays Posts: 102 Member
    Thanks for sharing this. I'm not much into makeup in real life and tend to have a default look for my sims that I then completely forget about it. I might have to go back into CAS and play around with this for the Sims it will impact.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    I would like an update on the swatches for makeup too. Eyeliner and blush is the worst for the darker skin tones. Thankfully there are some options now with the lipstick and eyeshadows because of the Caribbean patch. I think I read something about an opacity slider with the upcoming December update.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    troshalom wrote: »
    So, I always played with uncompressed Sim textures - but darker hued sims could not wear all of the make up, it looked awful on them. I am glad to see they fixed that. Although I personally may not choose these colors for my sims unless I am going for a particular theme, I am glad that I am no longer relegated to the same three in game shades that look good on darker hued sims.
    2020-10-06-19-13-40.png

However, they need to work on the lighting when it comes to the darker hued sims - the shadow detail is just not there so the definition is lost and they are just flat and you can't see their features well.
    2020-10-06-19-02-33.png

This dark grey sim looks better than the dark brown sim (also glad you can now distinguish between dark grey and dark brown sims). The red sim also needs some better contrast too. Hopefully with the sliders in December that will fix the red sim, but the hue looks slightly better now.

You see it best with the lighter hued sims. Their details are nicely defined while the dark brown hued sim her details are lost and she looks flat.
    2020-10-06-19-05-35.png

While we are at it that afro needs to be fixed. I read about cauliflower being used as a basis for how the afro would be created. That was wrong on so many levels. Hopefully the team reached out to artists like the modder Ebonix who creates great CC hair in the game to fix some of the textured hair.

This hair texture looks like they didn't apply her wig correctly. Um, they need to fix that.
    Hues-10-6-2020-08.png

Well, this is a nice start to the update of the hues and like I said above, being able to use the make up on darker hued sims is a win.

NO ONE I mean NO ONE has a fro like that unless it is Halloween. I hate that fro so much.
  • Options
    DaraviDaravi Posts: 1,149 Member
    keekee53 wrote: »
    NO ONE I mean NO ONE has a fro like that unless it is Halloween. I hate that fro so much.
    To be honest, I find this chosen yellow color as a bad example. Because I've learnt many years ago a basic rule when it comes to make-up/clothes: no pale person should wear yellow make-up or dresses unless you want to look sick, because this color doesn't support your skin hue in any way. On the other side, I have seen yellow dresses on native africans, where they have looked absolutely fabulous. It's not an excuse, I wouldn't wonder if the development was difficult and took hours just to get a reasonable acceptable looking for the skin hues.
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,491 Member
    edited October 2020
    I agree with you on the very dark skin tones lacking definition. I don't think shadow is the problem, it's undertones and highlights (forehead, nose, chin) that are missing. I've been using cc skin tone overlays to solve this problem, however it would be ideal if this is part of base game skin tones, without needing to add make-up.
  • Options
    DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,892 Member
    Well they said they’d add sliders on makeup as well so we should be able to adapt makeup to skintones.

And yes that Afro is horrendous. It looks like a plastic helmet that would have been forced on the sims head.....
  • Options
    Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,131 Member
    I still have a problem with the cheek makeup, though--it's too subtle, not bold enough. In many cases I can't even tell my Sim is wearing any, too light to notice