Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Town Life Expansion?

Ok, so I was doing a search on rumors and I came across this: https://extratime.media/2020/09/17/sims-4-town-life-new-expansion-pack-theory/

What are your thoughts on the new expansion pack being a Town Life expansion? Personally, if they go down this route, it might just be too much world-building and not enough story-telling for me. I really want to be able to play wacky stories in pre-built worlds, not have to design the world myself. Still, I'm sure someone will like it. It's just that I would prefer more story based mechanics, such as family trees and family bios that give you hints of what you should do next.

Comments

• Options
    CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    I'd be interested in this. I'd love for some ways to further customize the pre-existing world. It could further enhance the differences between save games. I'm not sure I care about all of the ideas presented there (I don't want to play as a maid, *yawn* thanks) but there's definitely some interesting ones included like the town customization and interior design career.

A lot of it reminded me of a combination of Ambitions and Town Life from TS3 and I had a lot of fun with those packs.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    Anything that would allow me to edit the existing world is a WIN for me!
  • Options
    cheescaekscheescaeks Posts: 902 Member
    would be interesting.
  • Options
    SthenastiaSthenastia Posts: 651 Member
    It can be great if it is true. We need more cities in TS4.
  • Options
    jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,861 Member
    It's not something i've had on my want list because quite frankly I've thought something like this is beyond the Sims 4's capabilities (and doesn't that say something for itself), but if it did happen I would be thrilled.
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • Options
    PatricePatrice Posts: 361 Member
    Hey Simmers! we need more cities, and neighborhoods,
    Please :)
  • Options
    SeanBobbyGSeanBobbyG Posts: 112 Member
    It sounds much better than just a winter vacation pack. I’d be really up for a town pack the idea of the active careers is great and would love to do the house flipping In the architect career. I’m all for this !
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    SeanBobbyG wrote: »
    It sounds much better than just a winter vacation pack. I’d be really up for a town pack the idea of the active careers is great and would love to do the house flipping In the architect career. I’m all for this !

All build and buy items prices depreciate after you place them on the lot. I don't think house flipping would be that profitable unless you do upgrades for other sims based on commission, like a contractor.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    CopperBoltCopperBolt Posts: 132 Member
    Oh please no. You would play through as Major once with a bunch of random townies protesting any action you take (or just protesting nothing at all). Then what? While I'd love to expand on build opportunities it would be much more fun to me if we could have a Romance expansion pack with a new attraction system, blind dates, etc. Town Life feels like too much of a set storyline and not actually offer any meaningful gameplay. Plus, it doesn't fall in line with the Guru hints w/ the pink plumbob and that brunch thing they started.
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    jcp011c2 wrote: »
    It's not something i've had on my want list because quite frankly I've thought something like this is beyond the Sims 4's capabilities (and doesn't that say something for itself), but if it did happen I would be thrilled.
    We have players editing and making their own worlds now even opening up worlds if the Sims team wanted to they could give us editable worlds which is why it was a survey option at one point.

I'd love to see Town Life come it would be one of the most game changing expansions Sims 4 could get not only being able to edit the worlds to what we want them to be but setting up rules for each world deciding which Sims can visit or move into the world. Not to mention community events with farmers markets and pop up restaurants the worlds could finally feel alive. Sure we would still have Sims with no emotions memories or personalities but one issue at a time.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,674 Member
    I think most of that 2014 "Town Life" concept was already given as "City Living". I'd like building my own world, but I doubt we'll get politician, restaurants and stylist career over again. Festivals in San Myshuno represent the farmers markets, and now we also got the community space with ECO Lifestyle. *IF* they ever plan a farming pack, they better save a real farmers market for that.

I'd love to see more community details in my game though. Hopefully with the possibility of affecting all my worlds. Laws and rules, including affecting taxes, would be fine. We kind of got a bit of that, but I'd prefer a general system that is not mainly ECO focused.

Besides, playing rotationally, I wonder how my Mayor would have a chance to develop his town, LOL. Guess I'd prefer a preset system, rather than needing to develop it through playing.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    I think most of that 2014 "Town Life" concept was already given as "City Living". I'd like building my own world, but I doubt we'll get politician, restaurants and stylist career over again. Festivals in San Myshuno represent the farmers markets, and now we also got the community space with ECO Lifestyle. *IF* they ever plan a farming pack, they better save a real farmers market for that.

I'd love to see more community details in my game though. Hopefully with the possibility of affecting all my worlds. Laws and rules, including affecting taxes, would be fine. We kind of got a bit of that, but I'd prefer a general system that is not mainly ECO focused.

Besides, playing rotationally, I wonder how my Mayor would have a chance to develop his town, LOL. Guess I'd prefer a preset system, rather than needing to develop it through playing.

I thought the same thing about City Living.
  • Options
    AncientMuseAncientMuse Posts: 1,062 Member
    Oooo, an EP like that sounds awesome.

Interior decorator? Architect? Mayor? The ability to dictate who gets to live in your town? The ability to customize our towns (not quite CAW, but sort of)?

Yes please!
    My Gallery ID: AncientMuse2
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~ Mark Twain
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,464 Member
    Customize our own town? A profound YES!
    I just don’t like voting systems. And that’s not because of ELs bugs. In my game I don’t vote. I demand.

A customizable neighborhood is all I would really like from this so the debug items would indeed make sense.
    I’d also date the maid, no problem, or send her to spy on the neighbors. No problem either.

The rest does sound very City Living/ Eco Lifestyle to me though.
    Architect = Civil engineer in EL?
    Mayor = political career in CL?
    Farmers Market = Market Place Lot in EL?
    Changing the Town= NAPs in EL?

I haven’t played with any of these yet, so I can’t say whether they’re actually like the descriptions for Town Life.

But give me a customizable town or neighborhood anytime and I’ll be happy!
  • Options
    IsharellIsharell Posts: 1,158 Member
    Customize our own town? A profound YES!
    I just don’t like voting systems. And that’s not because of ELs bugs. In my game I don’t vote. I demand.

A customizable neighborhood is all I would really like from this so the debug items would indeed make sense.
    I’d also date the maid, no problem, or send her to spy on the neighbors. No problem either.

The rest does sound very City Living/ Eco Lifestyle to me though.
    Architect = Civil engineer in EL?
    Mayor = political career in CL?
    Farmers Market = Market Place Lot in EL?
    Changing the Town= NAPs in EL?

I haven’t played with any of these yet, so I can’t say whether they’re actually like the descriptions for Town Life.

But give me a customizable town or neighborhood anytime and I’ll be happy!

A customizable town would be a dream come true!

@CAPTAIN_NXR7 You said "In my game I don't vote. I demand." Me too! And those little simmies have to hop to it if I'm feeling cross! I am already Queen Empress of my domain and I have zero interest in voting for a mayor.

As for the maid...A Spying Maid? Sounds cool. Very James - er, Jane Bond-ish, well, unless James wanted to clean house. I'm trying to picture Daniel Craig in a sober black suit with a frilly maid apron (like Nanny Butler in the One Hundred and One Dalmations book). I'm trying to not picture him shirtless in a maid outfit with the short skirt and heels because I think my brain would break!

and I agree, the rest of the description does sound a lot like EL.
  • Options
    K_PlaysK_Plays Posts: 102 Member
    I love the idea of a customisable town, but so many of the other ideas already have counterparts elsewhere. I won't be holding my breath for this to happen unfortunately.
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,464 Member
    Isharell wrote: »
    I'm trying to picture Daniel Craig in a sober black suit with a frilly maid apron (like Nanny Butler in the One Hundred and One Dalmations book). I'm trying to not picture him shirtless in a maid outfit with the short skirt and heels because I think my brain would break!

🤣 Haha, thank you for these visual descriptions @Isharell !

My brain just did.
  • Options
    chickenowchickenow Posts: 458 Member
    Toz91 wrote: »
    Ok, so I was doing a search on rumors and I came across this: https://extratime.media/2020/09/17/sims-4-town-life-new-expansion-pack-theory/

What are your thoughts on the new expansion pack being a Town Life expansion? Personally, if they go down this route, it might just be too much world-building and not enough story-telling for me. I really want to be able to play wacky stories in pre-built worlds, not have to design the world myself. Still, I'm sure someone will like it. It's just that I would prefer more story based mechanics, such as family trees and family bios that give you hints of what you should do next.

I remember this poll/rumours back in 2015 and I was so excited for it!
    Sadly I don't think it can/will happen....as has been mentioned there have been (somewhat weaker) counterparts which have been out for a while now.
    I've been desperate for a neighbourhood customiser but again I just don't think the game engine supports that (cough *Sims Olympus* cough)
  • Options
    gnelso1239gnelso1239 Posts: 190 Member
    it shows that they delved back really far into surveys as many of these features exist in some form or another presently in game. I don't think there is much to this speculation. We already have restaurants, coffee shops and laundry can be done at home. That link isn't even worth a second read much less a first.