Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Are weddings still a thing in the Sims?

Comments

• Options
    BelleRoseBelleRose Posts: 4 New Member
    Yes!!! I love making my sims have a wedding I think there fun to set up and get dressed for lol! I would love a wedding day stuff pack or something like that cause they definitely need more stuff like dresses , cakes , veils , flower/bouquets , maybe even you can set who’s your bridesmaids or groomsmen and a Wedding venue lot , and also a fix for then to sit during a wedding would be nice lol
  • Options
    InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    I rarely have weddings. They're a pain in the butt and need a serious update. My wedding guests have spent more time crowding the bartender than the happy couple that've Ive had to take away the bar in all future weddings. And would it kill the guests to sit down before the vows start? By the time the newlyweds are done, half the guests are just now getting to their seats.
  • Options
    PotterheadSimPotterheadSim Posts: 320 Member
    I almost always have weddings. And I think they fixed the bugs where guests don't sit down or don't show up at all. I haven't had any problems with weddings in a long time.
    I do wish they would introduce more things for weddings. I'm hoping for a stuff pack at least.
    But I can see how not everyone cares about weddings. If you're not a family player they probably don't mean much.
  • Options
    Sara1010PSara1010P Posts: 891 Member
    I like having weddings, I wish they would add more things for weddings to. We finally have the option to have hats separate from the hair styles, it would be awesome to have wedding veils and more wedding dresses and suites.
  • Options
    misty4mmisty4m Posts: 2,266 Member
    Yep, I have a lot of married sim in my game. Most of all my household are of married couples
    new.png
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    I’ve only had three weddings. The first was outdoors and almost got rained out. The second one, the bride got locked out of her own reception. The third, the groom didn’t show up! I think my Sims will mostly be eloping in the future.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    KruegerKrueger Posts: 130 Member
    Sindocat wrote: »
    Marriage is a legal status, not a religious one.

That depends on the people getting married.
  • Options
    j1z1j1z1 Posts: 311 Member
    They are a pain to get the hang of. It definitely took a few of them before I managed to get one go mostly as I intended. I love the eloping option, too. It all depends on whether it would make sense for a specific sim to have a small wedding, a big one or none at all. And then of course, sometimes I just need a wedding to go wrong (though probably not in the way the do go wrong by themselves with the caterer standing around doing nothing; having the caterer posion everyone with pufferfish would be more like it, but mainly I mean like having a drunken brawl on the dancefloor or something).
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Krueger wrote: »

No, it doesn't.

It depends on the state issuing the marriage license.

Without that, regardless what your temple, church, mosque, synogogue or whatever may say, you don't get to receive the benefits of marriage. It is a civil institution.
  • Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    edited July 2020
    Pulling off a wedding in TS4 is like trying to get a bunch of squirrels to stage a production of Henry V. You can try but it’s probably not going to work out the way you hope.
  • Options
    Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,326 Member
    My wedding guests have spent more time crowding the bartender than the happy couple...

Like this? :D
    (Though the happy couple is there too)
    g4DmG8A.png
    2jh4Ybf.png

So_Money wrote: »
    Pulling off a wedding in TS4 is like trying to get a bunch of squirrels to stage a production of Henry V. You can try but it’s probably not going to work out the way you hope.

Haha! Good way of describing it! :D:D:D

Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• Options
    Zimz4Zimz4 Posts: 354 Member
    I just had my first wedding in the sims last week (to test a wedding venue for some kind of silly challenge or something I don't want to admit I participated in). I don't think I've ever had sims marry in any of the previous games either (the only married couples I have were assigned marital status in CAS). I've always heard that it was a huge chore and hassle, especially getting the guests to sit. Some of the tips and 'rules on planning the event' mentioned by y'all are very helpful, and plain necessary to make a wedding in this game actually work and look like a wedding. I did enjoy seeing two of my sims get married though, probably because these were new interactions and animations for me. I did find it a bit weird there was no sim officiating the event. The game poops out NPCs for pretty much everything else. My biggest gripe were the wedding arches though. There seems to be only three. A very basic one, a better looking one but with a very sexist name (what same sex male couple would want to be wedded at an arch with the name 'Daddy's Girl Formal Wedding Arch'? Why is there no 'Daddy's Boy Formal Wedding Arch'? Or a 'Momma's Boy Formal Wedding Arch' for that matter?), and the Island Living one which, while I'm sure people will find use for outside of a tropical beach setting, to me mostly fits a tropical beach setting. The wedding venue I made was actually meant to be for vampires and there's isn't even a black swatch for any of these arches.
  • Options
    lthshilthshi Posts: 5 New Member
    I do weddings sometimes it depends on the sims. If I'm doing a generational gameplay than I'll usually have a wedding to have an excuse to get the whole family together but usually I just elope
  • Options
    StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    edited August 2020

No, it doesn't.

Yes it is. Depending on the person. For me marriage is very much religious and how it originated. Only in more modern times has it been decided by civil authorities. Historically, though, it wasnt needed to be set by a civil authority and the congregation / community would acknowledge the marriages. For me its very much a religious status as well as legal but in TS4 as of current there is not religious function or feature, so people make their own buildings of faith and roleplay it.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member

No, it doesn't.

Yes it is. Depending on the person. For me marriage is very much religious and how it originated. Only in more modern times has it been decided by civil authorities. Historically, though, it wasnt needed to be set by a civil authority and the congregation / community would acknowledge the marriages. For me its very much a religious status as well as legal but in TS4 as of current there is not religious function or feature, so people make their own buildings of faith and roleplay it.

It's a very good thing to have church and government separate. A lot of people were stuck in abusive marriages because of the church beliefs.
  • Options
    StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    edited August 2020
    crocobaura wrote: »
    It's a very good thing to have church and government separate. A lot of people were stuck in abusive marriages because of the church beliefs.

Im not an advocate for continuing to be in an abusive marriage. People should seperate from their mate that is abusive to them. I do think religion should not be involved in gov & vice versa. I dont think religion should be involved in politics. But as for TS4 neither really plays a role in the game, and thankfully abuse doesnt either.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Options
    Zimz4 wrote: »
    Why is there no 'Daddy's Boy Formal Wedding Arch'? Or a 'Momma's Boy Formal Wedding Arch' for that matter?),
    I'm sure you could find CC ones that people made. I'd be surprised if there wasn't hundreds out there. I could make a Daddy's Boy arch and Momma's Boy arch if you like. :D;) In s4s you can name anything whatever you want.

That being said, you make insightful points on stuff that could have been included in a Wedding Pack.

Personally, I never even noticed the names of the arches, didn't even notice there was more than one, lol!
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• Options
    Kita5399Kita5399 Posts: 2,112 Member
    Zimz4 wrote: »
    The wedding venue I made was actually meant to be for vampires and there's isn't even a black swatch for any of these arches.
    I have yet to find a great CC one for vampires, this one at least had a black swatch for the draped fabric :/
    9wnFcXS.png

• Options
    friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    the one wedding i had the groom ran to work before it stared.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    the one wedding i had the groom ran to work before it started.

:D:D:D

Got "cold-feet" at the last minute I guess!
    To “have cold feet” is to be too fearful to undertake or complete an action.
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• Options
    friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    Admiral8Q wrote: »

it was my first planned wedding i didn't know he would go to work anyway.
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    edited August 2020
    I do have weddings in the game of various types. Every couple is different, but yes, weddings are in need of an overhaul and I'm surprised that this hasn't arrived sooner. It does seem like something is missing.

Some of my couples elope in a quiet place at home or near their homes. I've also made the museum in Willow Creek duly function as a popular turnkey wedding venue. Likewise, the park in San Myshuno has hosted multiple weddings. I have several churches that can also be wedding venues but a lot of sims get married in other venues. Sofia Bjergsen was married in the Van Haunt Estate.

If I'm really into it, the sims might meet their new families beforehand or have a group dinner or wedding breakfast.

Recently, I've allowed most of them to have honeymoons or more recently to choose some benefit instead of a trip. This means that maybe I got them upgraded appliances or allowed them to just spend more days with aging off to enjoy just being married. Some of them do travel. I try to make everyone a bit different but I have several venues where I can just send them for easy weddings or honeymoons.

I'm now gradually building a resort in Sulani so when that's finished, I am sure it will be an option as well. I started building it but play other households and come back to work on it.
    Post edited by ChampandGirlie on
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Admiral8Q wrote: »

it was my first planned wedding i didn't know he would go to work anyway.

I know. I was making a joke. ;)
    That kind of thing has happened to me too in-game where a Sim goes to work and I'm thinking, "Whoops!".
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• Options
    KruegerKrueger Posts: 130 Member

No, it doesn't.

Exactly. Yes, marriage is a legal status. But for many people the religious aspect (whatever that religion may be) is just as important, if not more important.
  • Options
    FamilyFriendFamilyFriend Posts: 24 Member
    Yeah they’re still a thing, most of my sims elope though cause it’s easier