Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Fear Emotion - Death by Fright?

I would love to see Fear as an emotion in the Sims 4 or the Sims 5.
I was recently playing the Sims 2 and I had a sim that was scared by a ghost so much that they died by fright.
I think it would be really cool to see that feature again especially since we have emotions now.
What do you think?
Where's my Sims 5 squad at?

Comments

• Options
    bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    I'd love a fear emotion! Ghosts are just annoying and pointless right now. They can't even properly scare sims.
    Hopefully it would come in a patch with the release of "Happy Haunts" :)
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    Fear is really needed. It's a basic human emotion.

Yeah, my sims have a family graveyard in the backyard. Family ghosts use to wander around the house at night. I'm ok with family members not feel scared with them, but spouses that don't know them should get scared!
  • Options
    SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    Yeah true. It feels so weird when Sims are randomly chit chatting with a random ghost they just found chilling in their bathroom...
  • Options
    NationalPokedexNationalPokedex Posts: 829 Member
    Hmm, I do think there needs to be this kind of scared Fear emotion for the sake of the examples provided. And just like how pets have fears. However, for me, I don’t think Fear as JUST an emotion itself would work. It’d just be one more erratic moodlet for a Sim to flip through.

I’d rather see Fear manifested as a subconscious thing that all Sims are capable of experiencing and actively try to avoid (or for the player to shamelessly indulge in) as seen in The Sims 2. Here, Sims Fear certain things that might happen, but when the thing happens, they’re rarely afraid. They’re usually miserable, angry, sad, grossed out (I’m thinking about all those times my Sims has vermin on their lots because of knocked over garbage cans😅).

There needs to be an opposite of Whims to act against positive emotions and that would be the kind of Fear I would want to see.
  • Options
    SimsterLivSimsterLiv Posts: 92 Member
    Yeah, they need something else besides tense which is the most negative emotion I tend to get so it would be nice to get something like fear to difffereniate the emotions
  • Options
    StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    Fear is needed! Also if they add burgulars can they add the Sims 1 danger theme? It used to (actually still does) TERRIFY me when playing the game. Talk about immersive.

Best to listen to at 2am in the dark with headphones:

https://youtu.be/4djJULQHnR0
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    I don't think fear would work for everyone, as it is something that everyone experiences differently. Like some people are afraid to do things others have fun doing.
  • Options
    StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »
    I don't think fear would work for everyone, as it is something that everyone experiences differently. Like some people are afraid to do things others have fun doing.

Maybe trait based? Like in TS3 there is daredevil or brave trait that allows them to do things other sims wont, like extinguish fire. A squeamish sim should get afraid around bugs
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Options
    CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member

And everyone experiences happiness differently, or different things make us focused, yet they've pigeon holed that all down for us. I don't think this is a good excuse for them to not do it. However, fear is more of a trigger for some people so they likely won't add something like this for your very reason.

I wouldn't mind some fear in my game. Tense is used too often and it's not really that sensical for everything negative.

They could also add in some more traits to help with the fear emotion too for some sims, like "brave" and things like "confident" that are already in the game could have some added meaning. Paranoid and squeamish could do more too.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • Options
    Camkat wrote: »

And everyone experiences happiness differently, or different things make us focused, yet they've pigeon holed that all down for us. I don't think this is a good excuse for them to not do it. However, fear is more of a trigger for some people so they likely won't add something like this for your very reason.

I wouldn't mind some fear in my game. Tense is used too often and it's not really that sensical for everything negative.

They could also add in some more traits to help with the fear emotion too for some sims, like "brave" and things like "confident" that are already in the game could have some added meaning. Paranoid and squeamish could do more too.

I think tense is fine, because it implies there is fear but sims are still doing stuff. I don't want sims to say, nope, i'm not jumping in the pool because i'm afraid of water, or no i'm not going to explore that dark cave because i'm afraid of monsters. And speaking of monsters, there is the monster under the bed for kids. So there is fear. Death by fear is just taking it to the extreme.
  • Options

@crocobaura well death by fright worked in The Sims 2 so I don't see why it wouldn't work in The Sims 4.
    Also I get what you're trying to say with person-specific phobias like fear of heights and so on but what I wanted was a fear of things people are usually afraid of in real life, like ghosts, burglars, haunted houses etc.
    Specific-phobias like you mentioned are too personalized to be added in the game but I can see them working with traits, like a trait for thalassophobia or fear of heights etc.
  • Options
    I don't play with ghosts. Are sims not feeling tense when dealing with them? You want them to feel tense when they meet ghosts and if they scare your sim you want him to die?
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    I don't play with ghosts. Are sims not feeling tense when dealing with them? You want them to feel tense when they meet ghosts and if they scare your sim you want him to die?

@crocobaura Yes.
  • Options

I think tense is fine, because it implies there is fear but sims are still doing stuff. I don't want sims to say, nope, i'm not jumping in the pool because i'm afraid of water, or no i'm not going to explore that dark cave because i'm afraid of monsters. And speaking of monsters, there is the monster under the bed for kids. So there is fear. Death by fear is just taking it to the extreme.

Yet, I would be absolutely fine with this. Although, I don't remember sims in TS2 just flat out noping an action because of "fear". They still did it, just they felt bad about it for awhile. They won't ever choose to do it on their own but if you told them to do it, they did it, even if complaining about it. Alternatively, I've had sims in TS4 nope actions because of emotions. "Too tense to do that right now" "Too sad to do that right now" etc. I kind of wish that would go away and they just soldier through because you told them too. They can still be miserable about it, but do it anyways.
  • Options

Yet, I would be absolutely fine with this. Although, I don't remember sims in TS2 just flat out noping an action because of "fear". They still did it, just they felt bad about it for awhile. They won't ever choose to do it on their own but if you told them to do it, they did it, even if complaining about it. Alternatively, I've had sims in TS4 nope actions because of emotions. "Too tense to do that right now" "Too sad to do that right now" etc. I kind of wish that would go away and they just soldier through because you told them too. They can still be miserable about it, but do it anyways.

I think it's realistic that they can't do stuff when they're distressed.
  • Options
    I think the fear thing should come more with unexpected events like the ghost scare. Sims don't choose to do it, it just happens.
  • Options
    edited June 2020

Yes and no. Sometimes, as a human, I might feel sad, overwhelmed, upset about something and want to just cry in bed, but I don't always... I can still do things, if I want to. Emotions don't make it so I never can't do anything. I might choose not to, but I can still do it. However, it is how it is and in TS4 sims won't do things if they aren't in the right mood, I can work around that (and have been) and I would if there was some fear in the game too.

Cycling through the same 6 emotions is tiresome now though, and it's not really enough. Adding some more would be refreshing.

ETA: I know it's not 6, more like 12 or 13, but the different reactions are the same for a lot of them making them feel same.
  • Options
    InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    edited June 2020
    If we ever get a pack expanding on ghosts *coughcoughHappyHauntscoughcough* I'd LOVE to see sims afraid. Die of fright? Yes please! Id also find it funny if sims wet themselves from fright as well.

I'd like it if fear was something all sims experienced, but also a fear trait where a sim is jumpier than the average sim. Much like how hot-headed makes a sim angrier than usual. I want a sim that's a straight up scaredy cat.
  • Options

Yes and no. Sometimes, as a human, I might feel sad, overwhelmed, upset about something and want to just cry in bed, but I don't always... I can still do things, if I want to. Emotions don't make it so I never can't do anything. I might choose not to, but I can still do it. However, it is how it is and in TS4 sims won't do things if they aren't in the right mood, I can work around that (and have been) and I would if there was some fear in the game too.

Cycling through the same 6 emotions is tiresome now though, and it's not really enough. Adding some more would be refreshing.

Crying in bed is supposed to be the lowest of sad emotion. Like in real life, you cry then get up and do your stuff after a while.
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member
    Yes!!

I've been begging for a Fear emotion for five and a half years, lol. The more people who request it, the better.

I think Fear should definitely be lightly tied into Traits, but I also think there should be some standard things that should trigger it, like Occult related Ghost possession, seeing a Vampire aggressively feed off a Sim, seeing a Spellcaster use magic for malevolence, etc. There could be two new Traits - Brave, (which could cancel out the Occult Fears) and Cowardly (which would enhance Fears).

In addition, I think it would be best to have an independent Phobias system, where the player can choose a Sim's main Fears. There could be minor and major Phobias. Minor would trigger the lower level (maybe Anxiety?) and Major Phobias would trigger the mid level (Afraid?) The top level (Terrified?) would be triggered when too many Fears stack, and have a risk of being frightened to death.

But having a variety of normal Phobias and Fears to choose from can range from "afraid of child failing in school", "fear of childbirth", "fear of spouse being unfaithful" - which could trigger Anxiety, Anger, or Tense, - to "fear of Insects", "fear of deep water", "fear of lightning", "fear of failure", "fear of clowns", etc. Maybe some of these could have up to three levels of severity and the player spends points in them.

Ultimately, I think we actually need two new emotional tiers. One for worry and anxiety, and another for fear and terror. It's really hard to lump some of the intricacies of fears and phobias together under one emotion. But at this point, I'll take one. I can't stand how flat Sim emotions are because they don't properly represent the spectrum and are constantly biased in favor of happiness.

And that's why, in my opinion, players get so bored with the game so quickly. It's unrelatable and without realistic challenges. We need Fear.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I would love to have fear as an emotion in the Sims 4. I don't really understand why it wasn't included.
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    Gosh we need this so bad. I want them to actually feel FEAR! TENSE is what I feel after a long stressful day. Fear is when I see a ghostly shadow run across my wall at night. Two different things.
    It's obvious they wanted to make this game a utopian safe space. We wouldn't have even gotten the dirty stuff in eco living if players didn't keep begging for it. It really bothers me that there is no fear.
    I need to have a word with whoever manages the overall game 😂😂😂

I want ghosts to feel like ghosts. Thats why I avoid them at all cost. They just become your best friend and start inviting you to bars and clubs. I can't deal 😆😆😆 I must say I've seen videos and sims 2 ghosts were perfect.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(