Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Will my sims make money eventually?

I am trying to do a sort of rags to riches gameplay. I placed down "shipping containers" and my sim couple had $24,000 to get started on making it their home. I placed all the necessities down like doors, windows, bathroom, laundry, and kitchen but wanted my sims to craft all the other furniture themselves. My sim wife will be a crafter making candles and fizzy juice to sell and my sim husband will not only craft his own furniture but also furniture to sell. They both have part-time jobs (he is a lifeguard and she is a barista) to receive SOME income besides crafting and selling. However, I feel all they do is dumpster dive for bits and pieces just so they can make the furniture and acquire dye. I do not mind a challenge but am I crazy that they will eventually be able to live off and save money from being crafters with only part-time jobs? It feels repetitive to constantly be dumpster diving all day long, I just want to know if it's worth it. lol. And will my sim be able to sell the furniture at a market place or no?

Comments

• Options
    CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    My family made all their money off fizzy juice and candle making, selling them at a yard sale table with 200% mark up. Higher level candles that are scented were going for over a $1000 per iirc and juice was good too. Make sure you keep any plantables you find and grow them to make the juice and scented versions of the candles.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    edited June 2020
    Instead of dumpster diving, try to place a recycling machine on your lot and no trash bins or wheelie bins. At the end of the day you can recycle all the rubbish type stuff from your inventory instead of putting it in the bin. I don't think you can sell furniture at the market place as there is no display object for furniture. You could try selling it in a shop.
  • Options
    aaronrulzaaronrulz Posts: 4,098 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »
    Instead of dumpster diving, try to place a recycling machine on your lot and no trash bins or wheelie bins. At the end of the day you can recycle all the rubbish type stuff from your inventory instead of putting it in the bin. I don't think you can sell furniture at the market place as there is no display object for furniture. You could try selling it in a shop.

oh, this is something. I do have a recycling machine on my lot but also have two trash bins. If I delete the trash bins the garbage will automatically go to my sims inventory? I didn't know that .

@CelSims my sim does have a small garden growing fruits for the fizzy flavors but what do they need for the scented candles? And how do you acquire wax? I have a soybean plant growing but it's not producing wax yet.

Thanks!
  • Options
    CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    I got wax from 4 soybean plants and a beebox. I can't recall off the top of my head the flowers needed for the candles except I remember sage was definitely one. I think rose is one too. When they become available at the candle maker you will be able to see them greyed out and listing the ingredients for each. You also need dye but you'll probably get tons from the dumpsters.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    aaronrulz wrote: »
    oh, this is something. I do have a recycling machine on my lot but also have two trash bins. If I delete the trash bins the garbage will automatically go to my sims inventory? I didn't know that .

Thanks!

It won't go automatically, but you get the option to put it in inventory.
  • Options
    PlumDiddyPlumDiddy Posts: 551 Member
    edited June 2020
    Its totally doable.
    As soon as your sim is able (maybe at level 3 of the fabricator skill?) have him make at least two dressers a day. They sell for $600 a piece and only require 25bits and 80pieces if im not mistaking. Or it might be 25bits and 30pieces? Ill double check. (I checked and its 25bits and 80pieces) Anyway thats a good deal since bits are a lot harder to come by than pieces.
    I think the dresser sells for the most amount of money until youre able to fabricate the outdoor thing (sorry cant remember the name) it sells for $850 and requires 60bits and 80pieces i think.
    If you have your sim make at least two dressers a day --$1200-- you wont need a part time job. Just get the two dressers out of the way in the morning and the rest of the day he/she can fabricate other items or make candles or whatever.
    My sim did this to save up for a house and it didnt take long at all.

Btw idk where your sims live but there are 4 wild soybean plants growing throughout grims quarry. You can collect soy wax from them.
  • Options
    AprilDawnAprilDawn Posts: 795 Member
    It takes a while.

I am not sure the fizzy drinks are the way to go - they cost quite a bit to make and they spoil. Probably better off with the candles if they bring in the kind of money CelSims mentioned. I started getting bored with the candle making - especially how they just stand there for cylinder candles - so my sim has yet to make any that are really worth much.

The yard sale table seems harder then it used to be to me - it always seems my sim has to do a yard sale twice for anyone to show up and buy.

My sim has actually probably made the most money diving for deals and just selling most of it in build/buy.

You would need a store to sell the fabricated stuff, like furniture, otherwise - you can only sell it in build/buy.

My sims is not rich by any means yet, but finally made enough to be able to adopt two children and has enough to not have to worry - she does not have any job because she is a Freegan and they do not like to earn money that way.

It is also exhausting living off the grid - keeping the solar panels, wind turbines, generator, and water production going all the time - repairing, cleaning, fueling!

• Options
    aaronrulzaaronrulz Posts: 4,098 Member
    The yard sale table worked well for me. Only used it once so far but my sim made 5 candles and 200% markup and all five of them sold. It's funny...the sims that my sim would "sales pitch" to rarely purchased the candles. The sims she didn't talk to walked right up and bought them. lol.

Also, is it weird to have a recycling machine INSIDE your apartment? I like to play somewhat realistically but I got so annoyed to constantly have my sims go to another lot to recycle. It looks so dumb that my sims has this large recycle machine inside their apartment next to a candle making station and a juice fizzing station. I wish we could edit common space areas or outside areas in apartments. Oh well.

Lastly, the new vertical garden that came with Eco only holds two plants per garden? That's so disappointing.
  • Options
    StarfreeStarfree Posts: 1,449 Member
    @AprilDawn you can fabricate eco upgrade parts & use them to make turbines, panels & collectors unbreakable. You need 9 eco upgrade parts for each one you want to upgrade; just make sure to choose the option that says "with (or using, can't remember which) eco upgrade parts."
  • Options
    EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    edited June 2020
    Dive for deals and recycle all the burned furniture plus anything else you don't want. I haven't run out of Bits & Pieces yet.

Also, do the Freelance Crafter career with one of the sims. The gigs pay way more than stuff sells for on it's own, and just gets higher as you level up/get promoted.
  • Options
    AprilDawnAprilDawn Posts: 795 Member
    @aaronrulz I agree about the sale tables - it it better not to do a sales pitch in my experience. Lol to the recycling machine in an apartment - sounds like most of my sims homes/yards though - stuff just ends up anywhere I can fit it sometimes!

@Starfree Thanks - I have been working on that lately, but I do not keep a fabricator on the lot because I heard they are glitched when they break and make awful noises even if deleted (plus - she just could not afford one!) so she has to travel to the maker lot to fabricate and it gets time consuming to make all those eco parts!
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    edited June 2020
    Thanks everyone.

This has been so helpful. I am doing a wax-to-comfortable-challenge so this will help a lot. Forgot completely about the yard sale.

I had just been selling to the inventory with no markup.