Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

That Color Wheel Petition...

Does anyone else find this new color wheel petition a little weird? I understand the sentiment behind it, but at this point I am willing to bet that the Sims Studio is aware of everyone's desire for such a thing, and if it were a possible addition to the game they would have done it by now. They listen to players, and people should be directing their voices to maybe requesting it be a part of the Sims 5, as it is most definitely in production right now and much more likely to be added to that game.

The engine for the Sims 4 isn't very good, as we've learned these past six years, which is probably due to the whole Project Olympus disaster, so it just may not be possible with this engine to implement this feature.

Also, yes, the skin tones in this game are horrendous, and the game could definitely use some darker shades, and instead of a petition towards a color wheel, maybe focus directly on this aspect? I imagine it's much more plausible to add new shades rather than a million new shades.

I don't know, I just find this petition a weird way for the community to direct it's anger towards the developers, as it's for something that is less likely to occur than other much more realistic requests.

Comments

• Options
    lovelyskysxlovelyskysx Posts: 93 Member
    I find it weird as well
  • Options
    CorkysPetalsCorkysPetals Posts: 1,400 Member
    Some people focus on what they like or don't like. The effort, time and resources needed to create those things are essentially invisible.
  • Options
    DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    all kind of (game related) petitions are ridiculous and childish IMHO
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    all kind of (game related) petitions are ridiculous and childish IMHO

Agreed
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited June 2020
    A petition is surely better than being hostile to the guru's on twitter.
  • Options
    KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    edited June 2020
    wait there is a color wheel???? WHERE?!?!?

Sorry misread.
  • Options
    NiaraTiaraNiaraTiara Posts: 120 Member
    edited June 2020
    I'm not sure if it's that they can't implement a color wheel, or if they just don't want to. Many of us want more customization for our sims, and there's clearly a color wheel for pets.

Maybe a large set of rainbow swatches for each asset would be a better idea to propose?
    Let there be Fairies! o:)
  • Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    To be honest I think it's just stupid, adding a color wheel would require remaking every single CAS and build-buy asset in the game and completely changing the system to enable this customisation for players. It physically would not be possible at this stage in the games development when there's so many items built without this system. More hair swatches would be nice though but I get that that would probably be a lot of work and would produce very little to show for it, there's 87 hairstyles in the base game alone - just imagine how long it would take to recolor all of them and all the newer hairstyles.

It just seems like another "lets complain that an irrelevant feature of past games isnt in this one even though we dont need it", same as how people throw a tantrum on a daily basis about cars even though there would be physically nowhere to drive and no point to them in a closed world
  • Options
    orenjiAiorenjiAi Posts: 569 Member
    To be fair, the current skin swatches are limited. As a POC myself, I did run into the issue of having to settle with a color that's same-ish and ashy instead of what I want my Sims to own. So I kind of(?) understand the sentiment behind why they would want a flesh tone color wheel (one that accounts for undertones and midtones) so they wouldn’t have to rely on cc skin tones when making Sims of color.

But honestly, the Sims are pixel people living in a fiction world where you enter a Magic Realm from the top of a waterfall, where the night is blue hued instead of black, and where you cannot watch TV and eat popcorn while lying on the bed. It’s just a game of pretend. And I know that this game wouldn’t be really able to fully simulate life nor the whole range of human skintones and its vibrancy. Also I’d very much want the Studio to spend their resources (time and money) on actually fixing the gameplay aspect—for example Pinecrest Apartments 404’s balcony—instead of petty aesthetics.
  • Options
    3KNPen3KNPen Posts: 2,825 Member
    I don’t find is weird but I do find it kind of useless. I can guarantee that the won’t be swayed one way or another by an online petition.
    ~ ~ ~