Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Little animations of daily life

I’d love to see sims doing little animations of completing processes of daily life, or being part of big changes, rather than them happening instantly with no interaction by the sim.

For example:
* Changing walls: in build mode, you select what wall colour/print you like and paint as usual, but when you go back to live mode, your sim uses a paint roller to paint the walls (just a quick animation in one spot, it would only take a couple of seconds). Possible failed animation of them getting paint splattered and dirty?
* Changing floors: as above, but an animation of a sim kneeling with a hammer
* Unpacking moving boxes when they move in: this would look like the decorate house animation, but a pile of cardboard boxes appear in the house when your sim first moves in. They “open the box” and their inventory fills with some small/cheap items
* Weeding - I don’t think this exists?
* Dusting - for any surface that isn’t a counter (tables, benches, sideboards)
* Vacuuming
* Putting away dishes
* Grocery shopping and restocking the fridge
* Putting laundered clothes in the dressers

What do you guys think? Would you like more of these little animations? What ideas do you have?

Comments

• Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    No, I don’t want to turn this game into Animal Crossing where a Sim has to pull out a paint brush roller or spackle every time I go into Build mode and change something to their house. That sounds so annoying.

Sims used to weed when they garden but now they use a piece of equipment to suck up the weeds. I don’t mind the change.

Maids and butlers dust and will wipe their finger across a surface to see if it’s clean. That’s good enough for me.

I don’t need to see them put away dishes or clothes.

Vacuuming seems like something I’d want them to do once and never again. Add ironing to that as well.

Sims having to go off the lot to buy food to stock the fridge with could be cool. It would give me a reason to let them leave the house.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    I would like groceries shopping to come back. We'll be able to vacuum singed furniture with Eco Lifestyle. I don't want to see them paint the walls every time I redecorate because it may take a while for them to paint each and every wall segment, maybe just have the interaction available for those who want to use it for storytelling or maybe as a new money making skill. Sims could fix squeaky door hinges and maybe clean windows and mirrors if they are really driven to clean, but not everyday as these things take time and I'd rather my sims do something different than upkeep the house.
  • Options
    Dragonfire2lmDragonfire2lm Posts: 158 Member
    I like the weeding by hand animation, it feels more realistic as my mum and I weed the garden by hand with just us and a pair of clippers. It would be cool to given a pop-up "How would I like to clear weeds?" with options for by hand or with the machine.

Heck, add the sim wearing some gardening gloves and shorten the time it takes to weed by hand if they pick that option to have it be viable.

I dunno, I just like more down-to-earth, rustic animations.
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited June 2020
    Yesssssss to all of this!!!! I was actually thinking of how amazing it would be if my sim could interact in ways like paiting the walls, sweeping floor, putting down tiles, fixing up. I change houses all the time and this would really add to the feeling of moving into a new place. I think it would be great fun!!
    Folding clothes,ironing,washing windows, takining their stuff out of moving boxes after moving in. Etc. I just love details like this especially since I never foward anything no matter how mundane it seems lol.

Sims do weed on low gardening skills.
    The things you pointed out are the kind of things I expected to see when the game came out.
    Wishful thinking🥰🥰🥰
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member
    No, I think it would end up being a time waster if the animation played every time I changed something in build/buy. It makes me think of mobile games. I'd rather get right back to whatever I was doing.

Optional chores could be a thing, but I'm going to stress the importance of the word optional. I know that domestic players want these kinds of details, and there's no reason they shouldn't have them, I just don't want the game forcing me into chores.

I could see it work in a non-invasive way. Furniture and floors could be selectable to dust or wash, and after the Sim cleans it, there's a little sparkle. But they wouldn't dirty on their own so it wouldn't force the player to do chores. It could feasibly work that way with a lot of housework. And neat Sims could autonomously clean.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    SadiesueSadiesue Posts: 128 Member
    A no thanks for me. Sure it would be cute at first but I don’t really want to get frustrated because all my sim wants to do is autonomously vacuum all day. Did you ever sit and watch them upgrade an object? For me personally, it would probably be as fun as that.
  • Options
    daisy1989daisy1989 Posts: 87 Member
    There's a series of videos on YouTube about little animation details in The Sims 2 that weren't included in 3 or 4 which I'd love to see - like opening drawers to get out bowls/cutlery when cooking or spooning if in bed with your partner. Chores like dusting, putting away clothes and vacuuming might get old quick. It's bad enough doing those things in real life ;)
    Check out my YouTube channel @ DaisySims
  • Options
    AnnLee87AnnLee87 Posts: 2,475 Member
    edited June 2020
    For now just play with a neat and handy Sim. They do lots of thing other sims don't. I think it's annoying. You tell neat Sim to take a shower and grab cereal and move on the another Sim. The next thing I know it's time for work and the neat sim dropped everything to go clean a desk or mop puddles. Now my Sim goes to work without a shower and is hungry but they have a clean house. Laundry and picking up dirty dishes is enough real chores for me. I play the Sims to escape from real life. The last thing I want my Sim to do is household chores.

Think about it. They would have to do something with Sim time. How would a sim get all that stuff finished plus needs and potty training etc. I already modify Sim time and needs with MCC to make the day longer so they can get everything done. Work, garden, help with homework, prepare meals and work tasks. They have to go jogging or they gain weight. That's real enough for me.

edit: WAIT! I read the list again. Yes, weeding is in the game. I think the op has to explore more of the game that we already have. Sims can plant seeds and Sims have to water, weed and spray bugs. It's just like a real life garden. Sorry, more time playing the game then I care to admit. The game already has lots of reality if the player expands their game play.