Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Community Gardens question -- with a GTW tie in

It's been awhile since I've played, so things may have been changed by now, but I'm curious as to how plant growth is going to work. I remember a (much needed) change to gardening was done, where you had to be on the lot at 5am (or was it 6am) in order for the plants to actually grow. While this had the effect of allowing gardening sims to leave their lots without being penalized, it had the negative effect of plants not growing in the science lab due to the plant-growth-time being before work hours.

Will the community garden be on the same system? Or has the system itself been fixed? Has this been addressed at all anywhere?

Comments

• Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,675 Member
    Uhm, this might still be an issue. Plants still grow at 5AM if your sim is present. Away from home it's a little different, such as flowers will bloom after so and so many actively played hours in that hood. Community gardens are limited to community lots (not the general common area), so I assume they will bloom after a set number of hours, not following the 5AM rule. It actually make sense that you can't just stop by to harvest a full garden without actually spending some timer there. Time will tell ;)
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,908 Member
    Hmmm, this is a good question. I'm honestly not a big fan of the way the plant growth cycles work in general. (Particularly when it comes to seasonality... I get why you can't harvest an out of season plant, but a whole 🐸🐸🐸🐸 tree should not disappear from season to season, that's just ridiculous, and makes the landscaping look terrible.)
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,675 Member
    Amapola76 wrote: »
    Hmmm, this is a good question. I'm honestly not a big fan of the way the plant growth cycles work in general. (Particularly when it comes to seasonality... I get why you can't harvest an out of season plant, but a whole 🌺🌺🌺🌺 tree should not disappear from season to season, that's just ridiculous, and makes the landscaping look terrible.)

Hm, I think most of my plants keep their size during winter, they just drop their leaves, which makes sense. I think young plants might disappear during Winter, while the older plants will stay. Maybe this differ from specie to specie, I don't grow all of them everywhere, LOL :)
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,908 Member
    Amapola76 wrote: »
    Hmmm, this is a good question. I'm honestly not a big fan of the way the plant growth cycles work in general. (Particularly when it comes to seasonality... I get why you can't harvest an out of season plant, but a whole 🌺🌺🌺🌺 tree should not disappear from season to season, that's just ridiculous, and makes the landscaping look terrible.)

Hm, I think most of my plants keep their size during winter, they just drop their leaves, which makes sense. I think young plants might disappear during Winter, while the older plants will stay. Maybe this differ from specie to specie, I don't grow all of them everywhere, LOL :)

Strangely, sometimes my trees will die all the way back to the ground as soon as they are out of season; other times, they remain full-sized but are clearly dormant, which is what I would prefer for all of them, as it's obviously more realistic. I haven't been able to determine a pattern as to why.
  • Options
    cherparcherpar Posts: 2,092 Member
    I have been thinking about this since I heard about the community garden. I recall trying the gardening club but there was very little for the sims to do. Sometimes water and weed, but rarely harvest. While I usually get my plants from seed packets, recently there was a few I needed to go out to get. Travel to the lot and sometimes wait days ( without leaving the non home lot) for it to be available for harvest.

The whole waiting thing has never made much sense to me, provide I am in the right season and are not on day 1 of gameplay. Time has passed in my lot, so why wouldn’t it pass on the park in my neighbourhood.

Will be interesting to see how it works.
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,343 Member
    My "community" garden is actually a residential household, the residents being two servos. It produces reliably at 5 am and at 6 am the weeds and bugs sprout.