Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can my laptop run the Sims 4?

Hello!

I am looking into a new laptop and I would like to be able to run the Sims 2,3 and 4 relatively smoothly. I play the games with ~1-3 GB of CC and Mods and all EPs.

I am currently looking at the 2019 Macbook Air* (MacOS works best with programs I have to use for school) with the following specs:
  • 1.2GHz quad-core 10th-generation Intel Core i7 processor, Turbo Boost up to 3.8GHz
  • 16GB 3733MHz LPDDR4X memory
  • 512GB SSD storage
  • Intel Iris Plus Graphics
  • Backlit Magic Keyboard - US English
  • Touch ID
  • Force Touch trackpad
  • Two Thunderbolt 3 ports

I apologize if this is the wrong place on the forum to post!

*I have Sims 2 UC and Sims 3 with packs on Origin, which I would install after setting up a Windows partition4
oh god i really did make this account when I was 11 and it shows

Comments

• Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    edited May 2020
    I play on a 2015 MacBook Pro and it works great on Ultra with gobs of CC. Does your laptop only have an integrated graphics card though? That might be problematic.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    I-Am-Unicorn123I-Am-Unicorn123 Posts: 137 Member
    I play on a 2015 MacBook Pro and it works great on Ultra with gobs of CC. Does your laptop only have an integrated graphics card though? That might be problematic.

Why would it be bad?
    oh god i really did make this account when I was 11 and it shows
  • Options
    SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    edited May 2020

Why would it be bad?

Integrated graphics cards aren't quite as powerful as a dedicated card. That means that you may not be able to run the game on the highest possible graphics settings, and, depending on what you're working with, you may have to keep laptop mode on and not raise certain effects over medium or even low. The game would still be playable, it just wouldn't look as good as it does in the livestreams or your favorite YouTube simmer's videos. This game still looks decent on low graphics settings, though, so unless you really hate pixilated edges on 3D models or just can't live without fancy lighting effects and reflections, it really shouldn't be a big deal.

Personally, I'm playing on a Dell G7 gaming laptop with a dedicated graphics card. It runs the game on Ultra and outside of laptop mode very smoothly, and it was under $1,000 U.S. dollars. I'd go with a Windows PC over a Mac any day because they're cheaper and more versatile.
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • Options
    dorshell1dorshell1 Posts: 1 New Member
    hello, i am also looking at the newest macbook laptop, I only have 1EP and i was wondering if it would damage my computer a lot if i played sims from time to time on the computer. I am a senior in highschool and would like to use the same laptop through college so i want to know if sims would hurt the lifespan at all. if you could maybe suggest some good computers that would be great, my budget is lower than $1000
  • Options
    SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    dorshell1 wrote: »
    hello, i am also looking at the newest macbook laptop, I only have 1EP and i was wondering if it would damage my computer a lot if i played sims from time to time on the computer. I am a senior in highschool and would like to use the same laptop through college so i want to know if sims would hurt the lifespan at all. if you could maybe suggest some good computers that would be great, my budget is lower than $1000

I would suggest a PC cause it's hard to get a laptop for games for under 1000$ unless you are willing to play on laptop mode which is not very pretty.
    Maybe you could make your own thread and more people could help you?

@I-Am-Unicorn123 do you still need help deciding on a laptop?
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Options
    jimbbqjimbbq Posts: 2,734 Member
    @SimsLovinLycan i am lookin into possibly getting dell G7. Is it any good ? My main concern is how loud the fan is ? Thanks.
  • Options
    SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    @jimbbq

It's a really good laptop, in terms of how it runs, but it's short on storage (mine has only 223 GB of storage), so I suggest adding a second hard drive later on if you have lots of PC games or prefer to store a copy of your digital documents on your computer's hard drive as well as externally. The fan itself isn't that loud, actually. My laptop cooling pad masks it, and it kind of has a gentle whirring hum to it. I've actually heard louder box and standing fans than this baby. Also, definitely spring for the version with 16 GB of RAM. I have the 8 GB version, since I can upgrade later...but I only got that version because my mom was practically over my shoulder at the store and I didn't want to hear her mouth about how much I was spending on a laptop (she's very naggy about how I spend my money when I buy anything worth more than $20, even when it's a worthwhile and well-researched purchase). It even runs TS3 well, since I barely ever experience lag on it with the base game, 2 EP's ("Supernatural" and "Late Night"), and 1 SP installed.

I use my G7 for both gaming and graphics software, too. If you use programs like the Adobe and Affinity software suites, Maya, or Blender, it runs those like a charm. Even with 8 GB of RAM, I very rarely get any lag. Usually, when I do get lag, it's because I have a lot going on on the screen (many, many vector layers) or I'm using After Effects for any piece of video longer than a minute in length (which is just a laggy mess in general and eats up a lot of memory...not recommended for animation or long-form videos, just use it for adding minor special effects and text boxes, because it is NOT a robust piece of software and the timeline is incredibly messy...but, I digress). So, it's a pretty good deal for a lower cost gaming laptop overall, especially if you invest in that second hard drive or store most of your documents externally.
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.