Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Merging packages (S3PE or CCmagic?)

ZeiZei Posts: 254 Member
Hello, one of my other threads was getting quite off-topic so I decided to move this issue to its own thread. I've finally decided to merge my package files together, and download S3PE. However I see there is also another tool called CCmagic for this. For those that are well-acquainted with this process, which one would you recommend?

Also I want to compile some tips I've gathered from this community here like:

- Don't merge mods
- Don't merge patterns
- Keep track of which files you merge together, and keep the original files somewhere safe
- Each merged package shouldn't exceed about 300 mb

If you have any other suggestions, please do send! Thank you!
Post edited by Zei on

Comments

• Options
    GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,080 Member
    I prefer S3PE.

-For me don't merge mods - example Nraas mods.
    -Never convert patterns to .packages or merge them.It
    causes issues with them, usually you'd want to install that via the launcher.
    -I like to catagorize my merge files by creator.
    -I try to keep mine under 300MB

Here is how I organize my mods/content
    hUGW4lX.png
    **Some patterns may come as .package files, but I never convert or merge patterns that
    were originally simspacks.**
  • Options
    ZeiZei Posts: 254 Member
    Thanks @GraceyManor, I fixed the maximum size for merged packages in my original post.
    I wonder why converting patterns create problems. I may have converted some without noticing...
    Also, does merging together different types of items create problems? Like merging hair together with clothes, objects etc? Because that ought to happen if I merge by creator.
  • Options
    It doesn’t for me but I prefer to keep clothes with clothes in case I decide I don’t want something anymore I don’t have to delete toys or objects as well
  • Options
    Emily4331Emily4331 Posts: 10,850 Member
    CC Magic. It makes it easier to find exact items within merged files so that you can delete them or disable them if you want. CC Magic also backs up the files you merge, so you'll have a copy in case something goes haywire. Of course, you could also do this manually, though. I personally keep extra backups of my TS3 user files on an external hard drive. I update it if I am going to merge again and haven't noticed any items go missing in the merging process. It's also a lot faster than using S3PE and doing it manually yourself as well, in my opinion.

I want to point out that the 300 MB @GraceyManor limits her merged packages to is pretty low. 1 GB is as high as I'll go. The problem with limiting the size too much is that at some point it won't be very effective in reducing the number of package files. 300 MB is small, especially when you consider the size of ever-evolving CC. So, personally, my limit is 1 GB (1000 MB, 1000000 kB) and I haven't noticed this causing any issues. I actually just recently did another merging sweep of any loose files I was too lazy to merge when I downloaded them and my game is running very well. So I'd say 1 GB is a perfectly fine limit.

Also, I merge anything with anything because my mods folder lost all semblance of organization years ago :lol: So I wouldn't worry about merging different types of things together. :smile:

• Options
    PaikallinenPaikallinen Posts: 15 Member
    After I found out about CC Magic I have never used S3PE to merge packages (except for some of my own cc to be downloaded but that's different). It's much easier and I love how I can delete stuff easily. I like how I can clear caches with it and before I used Origin I used to launch my game from it. I don't use the most advanced stuff with it though, like doing different sets for CC and such so I could only some of CC when playing or something like that.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    @Emily4331
    I don't know how much CC you have in your game, if you use a lot you might
    want to go up to 1000.But I recently got rid of most of my CC because my game runs 10x better with a bunch of clutter.I only kept my cc hair because I’m a hair addict lol I love custom hairs.So I do t have much CC to make larger package files and I do t think it matters if I keep it low or keep it at a 1000.everyone has their preferences.

Most of my stuff installed is poses and nraas mods and I don't want to merge those.
    Post edited by GraceyManor on
  • Options
    @GraceyManor Yeah, if you don't have a lot of CC, 300 MB per merge is fine. Just that if anyone has a ton of CC like me, it's better to have a higher limit is all. :smile:
  • Options
    TurjanTurjan Posts: 1,717 Member
    For what it's worth, I'm using CCMagic. Mostly because I'm lazy :wink: . I can imagine that S3PE gives you a bit more control, but I have no personal experience with using it on a daily basis.
  • Options
    KpoiKpoi Posts: 32 Member
    S3PE is easier for me to merge, as long as you know what you're merging and sort your items. (: I always keep backups of the unmerged cc, though, just in case! I tried CCMagic and I was CONFUSED!
  • Options
    @Kpoi Frankie has an awesome, easy to follow tutorial on CC Magic if you ever want to give it a go again. :smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9S9-14kSf3Q