Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 doesn't work for me anymore

It was fine this morning, but now it crashes to desktop in the following situations:
  • At The Sims 4 splash screen
  • At the initial load screen
  • At the white screen before CAS loads
  • After CAS loads and you click the gallery
  • After CAS loads
  • When my save loads

This happens whether or not mods are present and repairing the game has no effect (I repaired it yesterday when this happened). Running Windows 10, GTX 780, i5 4570, 16 GB RAM.

Comments

• Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member
    If you used mods, did you delete the localthumbecache file in your Sims 4 folder? It can cause problems any time you add or remove mods/cc. I get into the habit of deleting it any time I change anything in my mods folder because I had strange issues just from a cc dress. Try deleting it and then repairing your game and see if you can load it.

You can also completely remove your Sims 4 folder, set it aside, and reboot the game clean to see if it works. If it does, add your folders back in one by one to see if it still starts okay.

It's also possible that you have a corrupt save. If you find that your save file is causing the crash, try adding your saves back in one at a time to eliminate the culprit.

Good luck, I hope you find the issue!
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    CursedDiceCursedDice Posts: 978 Member
    LiELF wrote: »
    If you used mods, did you delete the localthumbecache file in your Sims 4 folder? It can cause problems any time you add or remove mods/cc. I get into the habit of deleting it any time I change anything in my mods folder because I had strange issues just from a cc dress. Try deleting it and then repairing your game and see if you can load it.

You can also completely remove your Sims 4 folder, set it aside, and reboot the game clean to see if it works. If it does, add your folders back in one by one to see if it still starts okay.

It's also possible that you have a corrupt save. If you find that your save file is causing the crash, try adding your saves back in one at a time to eliminate the culprit.

Where's the localthumbcache file?
  • Options
    CursedDice wrote: »

It's right in your Sims 4 folder, usually in documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 4 . Scroll past the folders and it will be one of the little files underneath, usually after Last Exeptions and Game Version. It says localthumbecache.package.

Once you delete it and start the game back up, the game will just generate a new one. But I suggest trying a repair in Origin first after you delete the file.
    #Team Occult
  • Options

It's right in your Sims 4 folder, usually in documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 4 . Scroll past the folders and it will be one of the little files underneath, usually after Last Exeptions and Game Version. It says localthumbecache.package.

Once you delete it and start the game back up, the game will just generate a new one. But I suggest trying a repair in Origin first after you delete the file.

So I tried removing that local thumb rile and my save and that didn't work. Haven't tried removing the entire Sims 4 folder yet
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member

So I tried removing that local thumb rile and my save and that didn't work. Haven't tried removing the entire Sims 4 folder yet

Just cut and paste the folder to your desktop.
  • Options
    Starting without The Sims 4 folder and the game loaded fine. I put my old Sims 4 folder back and immediately had the same problem
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    Starting without The Sims 4 folder and the game loaded fine. I put my old Sims 4 folder back and immediately had the same problem

What mods do you have?
  • Options

You need to keep the newly generated Sims folder in and start manually transferring your old folders one at a time to see which one is causing the crash. For example, take out the new saves folder and put your old one in, then try to start the game. If it crashes, it's one of your saves. You'll then have to put the new saves folder back and try adding each save from your old folder, one at a time to see if it's a corrupt save.

Also, you'll have to sift through your mods and CC if the problem isn't your saves. Make sure you don't have any Sims 3 mods in there because those can mess your game up too.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,096 Member
    edited April 2020

That suggests something in the folder is corrupted. Leave the folder out and start up the game.
    Then, switch the tray in the newly generated folder with the tray from your saved folder and load the game up. Repeat this procedure with the saves folder, and your mods folder. Each in turn, by themselves.
    If the game crashes after you've put any one of them back in, then you know where the corruption is. Unfortunately if it is in the tray, you will lose your saved library.
    If it is in your saves, try putting the most recent save copy back in alone and see what happens. If the game crashes, remove it and try an older one. If it crashes with any of them, then unfortunately you'll just have to start over.

If it crashes after you've put the mods folder back in, you will have to put items from that folder back in one at a time until you find the culprit.

This is tedious, but it's the only surefire way I've found that works since Sims 2.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • Options

What mods do you have?

Slice of life, MC Command Centre and probably a number of others I can’t remember right now

And likely hundreds of pieces of CC