Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Creative Competition - Grimm's Sims - Fairy Tales in Pictures - Round 9/10 Placing Up!

Melusine377Melusine377 Posts: 1,008 Member
67mOEP4.png
stPEUUX.png

Now don’t be alarmed by the title, there is nothing scary here… unless you want there to be!
This is a competition based on stories, fables and fairy tales. Most you will know, some you may not, and they are all tales written by the Brothers Grimm.
If you have not heard of them you will be surprised to find that you know many of their most famous tales such as Cinderella, Hansel & Gretel and Snow White.
This competition is based on your interpretation of these stories.

I will put up assignment 1 once I have a few victims *cough* applicants... Hopefully we can start this off at the weekend (fingers crossed!!) or later if you guys are busy xxx

@Penguinwa101 @abelhinha35 @TEXASTWANGTONYA @kyky @Movotti @JaLiBo @jilliebee22 @MyFavoritedesign @Mamajanaynay @lisabee2 @aussiekarima @jaunty @Gege @Mzsammyrose @Storiessims4 @YJB19299 @MissBirdie @FauxEvermore @koalasims @alexis3142 @MizoreYukii @heather1306 @themelonic @kittymeow @ArtsyAmy @wbombje @Socallucyfan @deviouslyvivid @ladybug65 @ColorMePink @gardenGothic @Vanderhoot @sdtfm @mkasml @O-meezy @Spudders_86 @TheLastStar @chellemh29 @PeaceSign101 @peppergirl84 @gramatique @Gemmabubbles @lovejess2 @wrswrs2 @Meeshelby @AshLenn @abillings1978 @peppergirl84 @psykt @NShippudenFan @JennaCatz @wiredhanna67 @Klept0maniac94 @Eliavah @Jaunty @XLexisimsX @MaggieSims2018 @InaMac69 @lionpaws @ArtsyAmy @BeechNutBaby @GITTE2001 @JoeJoe11 @Rey26 @xJojox @Jendowoz0612
kMRXphO.gif
Post edited by Melusine377 on

Comments

• Options
    Q64DZew.png

There will be 10 rounds each of which I will give you a fairy tale to bring to life.

I will include a link to each of the tales in case anyone is not familiar with it.

All Sims game formats are welcome.

CC and Google images are welcome, but none of that weird stuff please (lets keep it sims people!)!!

For all rounds backgrounds and style are of your choice. All I want is to know which tale I am looking at (bring me Frank N Furter as Red Riding hood if you can make it work)!!

Due to the variety of stories you are welcome to use a different sim for each round if you wish. For this reason there will be no model wall.

I will be judging along with 2 friends Naomi & Mike. Scores are a basic mark out of 20 and are cumulative. Top 3 for each round will be given but total scores will be shared after the final round (idea borrowed from xJoJox).

Rounds will last 1 week unless all entries are in then we will end it sooner.

Extensions will be granted on request.

Please ask if you are unsure about anything, there are no silly questions!

I’m super excited to see what you guys create! I know what talent you all have and I can’t wait!

Most important of all, Be Kind! Not everyone is at the same skill level but everyone will have put their heart into their creation. Please respect this and support and help each other.

I have found this community to have grown in to a very friendly and supportive place, lets keep it that way!
    kMRXphO.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    HgGWaXn.png

ASSIGNMENT 9
    <3 aussiekarima B)
    <3 WhatCobblers B)
    <3 Spudders_86 B)
    <3 Jendowoz0612 B)

ASSIGNMENT 10
    <3 aussiekarima B)
    <3 WhatCobblers B)
    <3 Spudders_86 B)
    <3 Jendowoz0612 B)

New Assignment Seen :)
    Assignment Posted B)
    kMRXphO.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    J5j9ywr.png

ASSIGNMENT 1 – LITTLE RED CAP (RED RIDING HOOD)
    DUE DATE – Sunday 10th May
    LINK TO STORY - https://www.pitt.edu/~dash/grimm026.html[/b][/center]

DkmobUd.jpg
    So we shall start with one of my favorites, Little Red Riding Hood.

The only criteria are that your picture must relate in some way to the story. Now I know there are lots of interpretations out there (the Roald Dahl one being a particular favorite!) and you can base your creation on any of these versions.

You can choose to highlight a character or a scene of your choice. You want to portray the wolf or granny you go ahead!

GOOD LUCK!
    ASSIGNMENT 2 – HANSEL & GRETEL

DUE DATE – Sunday 16th May
    LINK TO STORY - https://www.pitt.edu/~dash/grimm015.html

ovUkXPW.jpg

Ah, Hansel & Gretel. Two poor children left in the forest to starve by their evil stepmother (a strong theme in a lot of these tales!) who happens upon a house made of sweet delights, only to find it inhabited by a wicked witch.
    The only criteria are that it must relate in some way to the story. Now I know there are lots of interpretations out there and you can base your creation on any of these versions (yes that does include Hansel & Gretel: Witchhunters!).
    You can choose to highlight a character or a scene of your choice.
    GOOD LUCK!

ASSIGNMENT 3 – CINDERELLA
    DUE DATE – Sunday 24th May
    LINK TO STORY - https://www.pitt.edu/~dash/grimm021.html

Wob8OwD.jpg

Now I’m expecting most people will know this one! There are so many different directions you can go in with this wonderful story; I look forward to seeing what you come up with!
    The only criteria are that it must relate in some way to the story. Now I know there are lots of interpretations out there and you can base your creation on any of these versions.
    GOOD LUCK!

ASSIGNMENT 4 – RUMPELSTILTSKIN
    DUE DATE – Sunday 31st May
    LINK TO STORY - https://www.pitt.edu/~dash/grimm055.html

SQftjgm.jpg

One of the lesser known tales showing again that there were some pretty horrid (or maybe desperate) parents about back then! But one of my childhood favorites.

The only criteria are that it must relate in some way to the story. Now I know there are lots of interpretations out there and you can base your creation on any of these versions.

GOOD LUCK!

ASSIGNMENT 5 – THE FROG KING

DUE DATE – Tuesday 2nd June
    LINK TO STORY – https://www.pitt.edu/~dash/grimm001.html

o1V3Tnz.jpg

They do say you have to kiss a lot of frogs before you find your prince!

GOOD LUCK!

ASSIGNMENT 6 – LITTLE SNOW WHITE
    DUE DATE – Tuesday 9th June
    LINK TO STORY – https://www.pitt.edu/~dash/grimm053.html

Mm9GC0i.jpg

Remember! Don’t accept apples from strange old ladies!!!
    GOOD LUCK!

ASSIGNMENT 7 – RAPUNZEL
    DUE DATE – Wednesday 17th June
    LINK TO STORY - https://www.pitt.edu/~dash/grimm012.html

G7bAgC8.jpg

Poor Rapunzel must have had quite the headache!

GOOD LUCK!

ASSIGNMENT 8 – THE CHILDREN OF HAMELIN (THE PIED PIPER)
    DUE DATE – Sunday 28th June
    LINK TO STORY - https://www.pitt.edu/~dash/hameln.html#grimm245

BPOe0pF.jpg

Always pay your pest control guy.

GOOD LUCK!

ASSIGNMENT 9 – BRIAR ROSE (SLEEPING BEAUTY)

DUE DATE – Tuesday 7th July
    LINK TO STORY - https://www.pitt.edu/~dash/grimm050.html

BTbTWck.jpg

I don’t look like that after sleeping 8 hours let alone 100 years, I look more like Stig of the Dump!
    GOOD LUCK!

ASSIGNMENT 10 – THE ELVES (AND THE SHOEMAKER)

DUE DATE – Open
    LINK TO STORY - https://www.pitt.edu/~dash/grimm039.html

WkMm2Et.jpg

Must be Dobby’s ancestors! I could do with a few helpful elves around the house myself!
    GOOD LUCK!

kMRXphO.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    ZPitI8w.png

ROUND 7 - RAPUNZEL

1FYO9Sr.png

ROUND 6 - LITTLE SNOW WHITE
    Heu1U36.png

ROUND 5 - THE FROG KING
    euedyuR.png

ROUND 4 - RUMPELSTILTSKIN
    AgdJLhS.jpg

ROUND 3 - CINDERELLA
    lvTAoq8.jpg

ROUND 2 - HANSEL & GRETEL
    W8Idlrv.jpg

ROUND 1 - LITTLE RED CAP
    Zxc7gpk.jpg
    kMRXphO.gif
  • Options
    deviouslyvividdeviouslyvivid Posts: 103 Member
    bring me Frank N Furter as Red Riding hood if you can make it work

I would LEGIT pay simoleons to see that!

• Options
    @deviouslyvivid :D I know right!
    kMRXphO.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    I present your Judges!

Mike, Trudy & Naomi.

1vMVBUE.jpg
    kMRXphO.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    ENTRIES

ROUND 10 - The Elves (and the shoemaker)

Jendowoz0612
    qSNk2Dm.jpg

WhatCobblers
    TY4Izsz.png

Spudders_86
    LYiCLHi.png

aussiekarima
    C920kTu.png

ROUND 9 - Briar Rose (Sleeping Beauty)

Jendowoz0612
    Bse8P4l.png

WhatCobblers
    KGyXkWz.png

Spudders_86
    nn8E8cb.png

aussiekarima
    NBN4rMN.jpg

ROUND 8 - The Children of Hamlin (Pied Piper)

Jendowoz0612
    rO6UVE3.jpg

WhatCobblers
    Shp9kJV.png

Spudders_86
    qi55e49.png

aussiekarima
    zYv9Y2e.jpg

ROUND 7 - Rapunzel

Jendowoz0612
    vQgqDm8.jpg

WhatCobblers
    IPZWcpC.png

Spudders_86
    PcQ8utA.png

aussiekarima
    WG7sQXr.jpg

ROUND 6 - Little Snow White

Jendowoz0612
    5ilheeu.jpg

WhatCobblers
    OngnU91.png

Spudders_86
    X5g3jyL.jpg

aussiekarima
    0Oeu7z0.jpg

ROUND 5 - The Frog King

Jendowoz0612
    IgheL7P.jpg

WhatCobblers
    y4pL3J4.png

Spudders_86
    ivGGjoW.jpg

aussiekarima
    A9YVEaN.png

ROUND 4 - Rumpelstiltskin

Jendowoz0612
    eNiz7dQ.jpg

WhatCobblers
    yZtVFhD.png

Spudders_86
    Y0N7YjK.png

aussiekarima
    TH47GHF.jpg

ROUND 3 - Cinderella

Jendowoz0612
    Ks5a5OW.jpg

WhatCobblers
    5NVvNqD.png

Spudders_86
    5N1dw4q.png

aussiekarima
    yr131PD.png

ROUND 2 - Hansel & Gretel

Jendowoz0612
    Gsxxz2O.jpg

WhatCobblers
    XkQwfGI.png

Spudders_86
    zC46ks3.png

aussiekarima
    WtGjD66.jpg

ROUND 1 - Little Red Cap

Jendowoz0612
    2AYo4uo.jpg

WhatCobblers
    QOOZuhJ.png

Spudders_86
    vSBaI68.png

aussiekarima
    EWvTJan.jpg
    kMRXphO.gif
  • Options
    aussiekarimaaussiekarima Posts: 1,170 Member
    ~ I will if anyone else does, then sign me up, it sounds like fun, & I have no shortage of Sims or ideas, (it legit keeps this old brain active!)
    Webp-net-gifmaker-3.gif
    Gallery Link-aussiekarima

• Options
    @aussiekarima thank you hun xxx
    kMRXphO.gif
  • Options
    xJojoxxJojox Posts: 6,878 Member
    like the concept, but i dont think id be much good in something like this. sing out if you need a judge.
  • Options
    @xJojox thanks x <3
    kMRXphO.gif
  • Options
    Good Morning!

Just for fun and to get the creative juices flowing while we wait for more people to join (hopefully!) I thought I'd share some of the stories that didn't make the competition 10. If you feel inspired to create a picture to go with the story that would be wonderful I'd love to see it (don't worry it's just a bit of fun and wont be judged)! If not, please enjoy the stories maybe you will discover some that you have not heard of before!
    kMRXphO.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Now I have heard that this tale may have been insiration for The Witcher??

Hans-My-Hedgehog
    Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm

Once upon a time there was a peasant who had money and land enough, but as rich as he was, there was still something missing from his happiness: He had no children with his wife. Often when he went to the city with the other peasants, they would mock him and ask him why he had no children. He finally became angry, and when he returned home, he said, "I will have a child, even if it is a hedgehog."
    Then his wife had a baby, and the top half was a hedgehog and the bottom half a boy. When she saw the baby, she was horrified and said, "Now see what you have wished upon us!"

The man said, "It cannot be helped. The boy must be baptized, but we cannot ask anyone to be his godfather."

The woman said, "And the only name that we can give him is Hans-My-Hedgehog."

When he was baptized, the pastor said, "Because of his quills he cannot be given an ordinary bed." So they put a little straw behind the stove and laid him in it. And he could not drink from his mother, for he would have stuck her with his quills. He lay there behind the stove for eight years, and his father grew tired of him, and thought, "if only he would die." But he did not die, but just lay there.

Now it happened that there was a fair in the city, and the peasant wanted to go. He asked his wife what he should bring her.

"A little meat, some bread rolls, and things for the household," she said. Then he asked the servant girl, and she wanted a pair of slippers and some fancy stockings.

Finally, he also said, "Hans-My-Hedgehog, what would you like?"

"Father," he said, "bring me some bagpipes."

When the peasant returned home he gave his wife what he had brought for her, meat and bread rolls. Then he gave the servant girl the slippers and fancy stockings. And finally he went behind the stove and gave Hans-My-Hedgehog the bagpipes.

When Hans-My-Hedgehog had them, he said, "Father, go to the blacksmith's and have my 🐸🐸🐸🐸-rooster shod, then I will ride away and never again come back." The father was happy to get rid of him, so he had his rooster shod, and when it was done, Hans-My-Hedgehog climbed on it and rode away. He took pigs and donkeys with him, to tend in the forest.

In the forest the rooster flew into a tall tree with him. There he sat and watched over the donkeys and the pigs. He sat there for years, until finally the herd had grown large. His father knew nothing about him. While sitting in the tree, he played his bagpipes and made beautiful music.

One day a king came by. He was lost and heard the music. He was amazed to hear it, and sent a servant to look around and see where it was coming from. He looked here and there but only saw a little animal sitting high in a tree. It looked like a rooster up there with a hedgehog sitting on it making the music.

The king said to the servant that he should ask him why he was sitting there, and if he knew the way back to his kingdom. Then Hans-My-Hedgehog climbed down from the tree and told him that he would show him the way if the king would promise in writing to give him the first thing that greeted him at the royal court upon his arrival home.

The king thought, "I can do that easily enough. Hans-My-Hedgehog cannot understand writing, and I can put down what I want to."

Then the king took pen and ink and wrote something, and after he had done so, Hans-My-Hedgehog showed him the way, and he arrived safely at home. His daughter saw him coming from afar, and was so overjoyed that she ran to meet him and kissed him. He thought about Hans-My-Hedgehog and told her what had happened, that he was supposed to have promised the first thing that greeted him to a strange animal that rode a rooster and made beautiful music. But instead he had written that this would not happen, for Hans-My-Hedgehog could not read. The princess was happy about this, and said that it was a good thing, for she would not have gone with him in any event.

Hans-My-Hedgehog tended the donkeys and pigs, was of good cheer, and sat in the tree blowing on his bagpipes.

Now it happened that another king came this way with his servants and messengers. He too got lost and did not know the way back home because the forest was so large. He too heard the beautiful music from afar, and asked one of his messengers to go and see what it was and where it was coming from. The messenger ran to the tree where he saw Hans-My-Hedgehog astride the 🐸🐸🐸🐸-rooster. The messenger asked him what he was doing up there.

"I am tending my donkeys and pigs. What is it that you want?" replied Hans-My-Hedgehog.

The messenger said that they were lost and could not find their way back to their kingdom, and asked him if he could not show them the way.

Then Hans-My-Hedgehog climbed down from the tree with his rooster and told the old king that he would show him the way if he would give him the thing that he first met at home before the royal castle.

The king said yes and signed a promise to Hans-My-Hedgehog.

When that was done, Hans-My-Hedgehog rode ahead on his rooster showing them the way, and the king safely reached his kingdom. When the king arrived at his court there was great joy. Now he had an only daughter who was very beautiful. She ran out to him, threw her arms around his neck and kissed him, and was ever so happy that her old father had returned.

She asked him where he had been during his long absence, and he told her how he had lost his way and almost not made it home again, but that as he was making his way through a great forest he had come upon a half hedgehog, half human astride a rooster sitting in a tall tree and making beautiful music who had shown him the way, but whom he had promised whatever first met him at the royal court, and it was she herself, and he was terribly sorry.

But she promised that she would go with him when he came, for the love of her old father.

Hans-My-Hedgehog tended his pigs, and the pigs had more pigs, until there were so many that the whole forest was full. Then Hans-My-Hedgehog let his father know that they should empty out all the stalls in the village, because he was coming with such a large herd of pigs that everyone who wanted to would be able to take part in the slaughter.

It saddened the father to hear this, for he thought that Hans-My-Hedgehog had long since died. But Hans-My-Hedgehog mounted his 🐸🐸🐸🐸-rooster, drove the pigs ahead of himself into the village, and had them butchered. What a slaughter! What a commotion! They could hear the noise two hours away!

Afterward Hans-My-Hedgehog said, "Father, have my 🐸🐸🐸🐸-rooster shod a second time at the blacksmith's. Then I will ride away and not come back again as long as I live." So the father had the 🐸🐸🐸🐸-rooster shod, and was happy that Hans-My-Hedgehog was not coming back.

Hans-My-Hedgehog rode into the first kingdom. The king had ordered that if anyone should approach who was carrying bagpipes and riding on a rooster, that he should be shot at, struck down, and stabbed, to prevent him from entering the castle. Thus when Hans-My-Hedgehog rode up, they attacked him with bayonets, but he spurred his rooster on, flew over the gate and up to the king's window. Landing there, he shouted to him, to give him what he had promised, or it would cost him and his daughter their lives.

Then the king told the princess to go out to him, in order to save his life and her own as well. She put on a white dress, and her father gave her a carriage with six horses, magnificent servants, money, and property. She climbed aboard and Hans-My-Hedgehog took his place beside her with his rooster and bagpipes. They said farewell and drove off.

The king thought that he would never see them again. However, it did not go as he thought it would, for when they had traveled a short distance from the city, Hans-My-Hedgehog pulled off her beautiful clothes and stuck her with his quills until she was bloody all over. "This is the reward for your deceit. Go away. I do not want you." With that he sent her back home, and she was cursed as long as she lived.

Hans-My-Hedgehog, astride his 🐸🐸🐸🐸-rooster and carrying his bagpipes, rode on to the second kingdom where he had also helped the king find his way. This one, in contrast, had ordered that if anyone looking like Hans-My-Hedgehog should arrive, he should be saluted and brought to the royal castle with honors and with a military escort.

When the princess saw him she was horrified, because he looked so strange, but she thought that nothing could be done about it, because she had promised her father to go with him. She welcomed Hans-My-Hedgehog, and they were married. Then he was taken to the royal table, and she sat next to him while they ate and drank.

That evening when it was time to go to bed, she was afraid of his quills, but he told her to have no fear, for he would not hurt her. He told the old king to have four men keep watch by their bedroom door. They should make a large fire. He said that he would take off his hedgehog skin after going into the bedroom, and before getting into bed. The men should immediately pick it up and throw it into the fire, and then stay there until it was completely consumed by the fire.

When the clock struck eleven, he went into the bedroom, took off the hedgehog skin, and laid it down by the bed. The men rushed in, grabbed it, and threw it into the fire, and as soon as the fire consumed it, he was redeemed, and he lay there in bed entirely in the shape of a human. But he was as black as coal, as though he had been charred. The king sent for his physician, who washed him with good salves and balms. Then he became white and was a handsome young gentleman.

When the princess saw what had happened, she was overjoyed, and they got up and ate and drank. Now their wedding was celebrated for real, and Hans-My-Hedgehog inherited the old king's kingdom.

Some years later he traveled with his wife to his father, and said that he was his son. But the father said that he did not have a son. He had had one, but he had been born with quills like a hedgehog and had gone off into the world. Then he said that he was the one, and the old father rejoiced and returned with him to his kingdom.
    kMRXphO.gif
  • Options
    Rey26Rey26 Posts: 8 New Member
    Looks very interesting :)
  • Options
    @Rey26 Thanks xx I love fairytales 😁 Some of the amazing pictures I've seen people come up with with sims for fantasy base are astounding!
    Just realised I really should put that story in a spoiler.. its huge!! 😆
    kMRXphO.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    So, here is my take on Hans my Hedgehog! It's the end of the story so... spoiler alert :D !

QRSh12J.png

No hedgehogs were harmed in the making of this picture....
    kMRXphO.gif
  • Options
    WhatCobblersWhatCobblers Posts: 2,758 Member
    Hi @Melusine377 this sounds like a great idea! I would really like to join in. Let me know when the first assignment is. 🙂
    Just to clarify, are you looking for artwork such as the above including Sims or game creations as well? (Sims, lots, etc).
  • Options
    Hello and welcome @WhatCobblers xx you know, I hadn't really thought about that but what a fabulous idea! I think as long as it relates to the story anything goes. :)
    kMRXphO.gif
  • Options
    WhatCobblersWhatCobblers Posts: 2,758 Member
  • Options
    sdangelo78sdangelo78 Posts: 75 Member
    Im in
  • Options
    @sdangelo78 Excellent! Welcome :)
    kMRXphO.gif
  • Options
    Good evening my lovelies xxx I hope you are all well during this strange time? It is a joy to see a few more names on the reserve list <3 Hopefully we can get a couple more then we can start :) In the meantime, here is another tale for you from The Brothers Grimm...
    kMRXphO.gif
  • Options
    The Twelve Brothers
    Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm

Once upon a time there were a king and a queen. They lived happily together and had twelve children, all boys. One day the king said to his wife, "If our thirteenth child, which you are soon going to bring into the world, is a girl, then the twelve others shall die, so that her wealth may be great, and so that she alone may inherit the kingdom."
    Indeed, he had twelve coffins made. They were filled with wood shavings and each was fitted with a coffin pillow. He had them put in a locked room, and gave the key to the queen, ordering her to tell no one about them.

The mother sat and mourned the entire day, until the youngest son -- who was always with her, and who was named Benjamin after the Bible -- said to her, "Dear mother, why are you so sad?"

"Dearest child," she answered, "I cannot tell you."

However, he would not leave her in peace, until she unlocked the room and showed him the coffins, already filled with wood shavings.

Then she said, "My dearest Benjamin, your father had these coffins made for you and your eleven brothers. If I bring a girl into the world, you are all to be killed and buried in them."

As she spoke and cried, her son comforted her, saying, "Don't cry, dear mother. We will take care of ourselves and run away."

Then she said, "Go out into the woods with your eleven brothers. One of you should climb the highest tree that you can find. Keep watch there and look toward the castle tower. If I give birth to a little son, I will raise a white flag. If I give birth to a little daughter, I will raise a red flag, and then you should escape as fast as you can, and may God protect you. I will get up every night and pray for you, in the winter that you may warm yourselves near a fire, and in the summer that you may not suffer from the heat."

After she had blessed her children, they went out into the woods. One after the other of them kept watch, sitting atop the highest oak tree and looking toward the tower. After eleven days had passed, and it was Benjamin's turn, he saw that a flag had been raised. It was not the white one, but instead the red blood-flag, decreeing that they all were to die.

When the boys heard this they became angry and cried out, "Are we to suffer death for the sake of a girl! We swear that we will take revenge. Wherever we find a girl, her red blood shall flow."

Then they went deeper into the woods, and in its middle, where it was darkest, they found a little bewitched house that was empty.

They said, "We will live here. You, Benjamin, you are the youngest and weakest. You shall stay at home and keep house. We others will go and get things to eat."

Thus they went into the woods and shot rabbits, wild deer, birds, and doves, and whatever they could eat. These they brought to Benjamin, and he had to prepare them to satisfy their hunger. They lived together in this little house for ten years, but the time passed quickly for them.

The little daughter that their mother, the queen, had given birth to was now grown up. She had a good heart, a beautiful face, and a golden star on her forehead.

Once on a large washday she saw twelve men's shirts in the laundry and asked her mother, "Whose are these twelve shirts? They are much too small for father."

The queen answered with a heavy heart, "Dear child, they belong to your twelve brothers."

The girl said, "Where are my twelve brothers? I have never even heard of them."

She answered, "Only God knows where they are. They are wandering about in the world."

Then she took the girl, unlocked the room for her, and showed her the twelve coffins with the wood shavings and the coffin pillows.

"These coffins," she said, "were intended for your brothers, but they secretly ran away before you were born," and she told her how everything had happened.

Then the girl said, "Dear mother, don't cry. I will go and look for my brothers."

Then she took the twelve shirts and went forth into the great woods. She walked the entire day, in the evening coming to the bewitched little house.

She went inside and found a young lad, who asked, "Where do you come from, and where are you going?"

He was astounded that she was so beautiful, that she was wearing royal clothing, and that she had a star on her forehead.

"I am a princess and am looking for my twelve brothers. I will walk on as long as the sky is blue, until I find them." She also showed him the twelve shirts that belonged to them.

Benjamin saw that it was his sister, and said, "I am Benjamin, your youngest brother."

She began to cry for joy, and Benjamin did so as well. They kissed and embraced one another with great love.

Then he said, "Dear sister, I must warn you that we have agreed that every girl whom we meet must die."

She said, "I will gladly die, if I can thus redeem my twelve brothers."

"No," he answered, "you shall not die. Sit under this tub until our eleven brothers come, and I will make it right with them."

She did this, and when night fell they came home from the hunt. As they sat at the table eating, they asked, "What is new?"

Benjamin said, "Don't you know anything?"

"No," they answered.

He continued speaking, "You have been in the woods while I stayed at home, but I know more than you do."

"Then tell us," they shouted.

He answered, "If you will promise me that the next girl we meet shall not be killed."

"Yes," they all shouted. "We will show her mercy. Just tell us."

Then he said, "Our sister is here," and lifted up the tub. The princess came forth in her royal clothing and with the golden star on her forehead, so beautiful, delicate, and fine.

They all rejoiced, falling around her neck and kissing her, and they loved her with all their hearts.

Now she stayed at home with Benjamin and helped him with the work. The eleven went into the woods and captured wild game, deer, birds, and doves, so they would have something to eat. Their sister and Benjamin prepared it all. They gathered wood for cooking, herbs for the stew, and put the pot onto the fire so a meal was always ready when the eleven came home. She also kept the house in order, and made up the beds white and clean. The brothers were always satisfied, and they lived happily with her.

One time the two of them had prepared a good meal at home, and so they sat together and ate and drank and were ever so happy. Now there was a little garden next to the bewitched house, and in it there were twelve lilies, the kind that are called "students." Wanting to bring some pleasure to her brothers, she picked the twelve flowers, intending to give one to each of them when they were eating. But in the same instant that she picked the flowers, the twelve brothers were transformed into twelve ravens, and they flew away above the woods. The house and the garden disappeared as well.

Now the poor girl was alone in the wild woods. Looking around, she saw an old women standing next to her.

The old woman said, "My child, what have you done?" Why did you not leave the twelve white flowers standing? Those were your brothers, and now they have been transformed into ravens forever."

The girl said, crying, "Is there no way to redeem them?"

"No," said the old woman, "There is only one way in the world, and it is so difficult that you will never redeem them. You must remain silent for seven whole years, neither speaking nor laughing. If you speak a single word, even if all but one hour of the seven years has passed, then it will all be for nothing, and your brothers will be killed by that one word."

Then the girl said in her heart, "I know for sure that I will redeem my brothers."

She went and found a tall tree and climbed to its top, where she sat and span, without speaking and without laughing.

Now it came to pass that a king was hunting in these woods. He had a large greyhound that ran to the tree where the girl was sitting. It jumped about, yelping and barking up the tree. The king came, saw the beautiful princess with the golden star on her forehead, and was so enchanted by her beauty that he shouted up to her, asking her to become his wife. She gave him no answer, but nodded with her head. Then he himself climbed the tree, carried her down, set her on his horse, and took her home with him.

Their wedding was celebrated with great pomp and joy, but the bride neither spoke nor laughed.

After they had lived a few years happily together, the king's mother, who was a wicked woman, began to slander the young queen, saying to the king, "You have brought home a common beggar woman for yourself. Who knows what kind of godless things she is secretly doing. Even if she is a mute and cannot speak, she could at least laugh. Anyone who does not laugh has an evil conscience."

At first the king did not want to believe this, but the old woman kept it up so long, accusing her of so many wicked things, that the king finally let himself be convinced, and he sentenced her to death.

A great fire was lit in the courtyard, where she was to be burned to death. The king stood upstairs at his window, looking on with crying eyes, for he still loved her dearly. She had already been bound to the stake, and the fire was licking at her clothing with its red tongues, when the last moment of the seven years passed.

A whirring sound was heard in the air, and twelve ravens approached, landing together. As they touched the earth, it was her twelve brothers, whom she had redeemed. They ripped the fire apart, put out the flames, and freed their sister, kissing and embracing her.

Now that she could open her mouth and speak, she told the king why she had remained silent and had never laughed.

The king rejoiced to hear that she was innocent, and they all lived happily together until they died. The wicked stepmother was brought before the court and placed in a barrel filled with boiling oil and poisonous snakes, and she died an evil death.
    kMRXphO.gif
  • Options
    Spudders_86Spudders_86 Posts: 270 Member
    Reserve 🤓
    Rqtv8vw.gif