Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I refreshed my laptop in 2020

maverickhawkmaverickhawk Posts: 53 Member
For reasons I wanted to refresh my laptop. I had applications/programs that didn't really uninstall well and I didn't need them anymore. Also I wanted Windows Media Center back and other features applications/programs that got corrupted somehow. Anyways, I copied both the program folder and my documents of the EA folders. Literally the game everything itself. Though my question is if I copied both folders with everything on it, would it work by the integrity? Do I really have to reinstall Sims 3 Base game and Sims 3 Late Night (the only EP I have)? I mean seriously will it work because I think it will since every sims3 package is extracted to a folder. I'm using a Seagate Laptop Thin 500GB 7200RPM 6GBs SATA III 32MB CACHE as backup and will transfer everything back to my laptop. Will Sims3 Base and Late Night just automatically add itself to registry (regedit) and the list of programs that show up in control panel if launch the game? I have both base and Late Night EP disks. I hope I get help, since everyone is probably playing Sims 4. Is this Sims3 forum section still alive? Also I believe I have some objects from houses that I downloaded, so how will that work?
Post edited by maverickhawk on

Comments

• Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited April 2020
    There is no one here but us chickens, go away. >:)
    (er sorry, another thread was reminding me of a forum where this is how questions typically got answered much to the apparent amusement of its locals)

Yes, many of us play TS3. Some of us never stopped, others are only just coming into this iteration of the game or are returning to it. It's very popular for an almost 11 year old game.

The answer is that the TS3 user game folder in Documents and its contents, so that covers store content, CC, installed worlds, game saves, etc. are totally portable. You can insert that or individual elements of it from one system into another, or in your case back it up and put it into place on your refreshed system as it would be as if you had a totally different computer at that point. The worst thing that can happen is that your store content won't work and will need to be Launcher re-installed. I would suggest though testing the game first on a new user game folder to make sure it's all working before restoring the prior one or its contents.

Installed Program Files cannot be transported that way. Assuming you have started with a fresh instance of Windows, there would be no Registry entries for TS3. The game and its Expansion/Stuff Packs would need to be reinstalled from the beginning either by way of the discs (and then patched up) or by way of Origin.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    So you're stating that all I need is the my documents folder, copy paste, then play?

Do I have to reinstall the CC content/Sim3 package files? Will the launcher determine like everything is installed on CC content/Sims3 package files?

I have 4.0 net framework (came with updating graphics drivers) and visual c++ 2015-2019. It's like all in one package of libraries. So I think I'm ok with that area. Win7 comes with directx3d11
  • Options
    I am saying that you have to reinstall the game and any Expansion/Stuff Packs.

Installed sims3pack content resides in bundles within the DCCache folder. You should be able to just copy that over or let it come over with the entire user game folder but sometimes store content gets stubborn and needs to be reinstalled.

The game requires .NET 3, not .NET 4. They are meant to co-exist, but if on Win 10 then often .NET 3 needs to be activated from within the classic Control Panel, Programs and Features, then Turn Windows Features On and Off. It may already be activated if you have other programs that rely upon it.

DirectX isn't worth worrying about unless you have a problem getting the game running.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Thanks so much. So the launcher will act like everything is installed right? Just clarifying.

Just reinstall both base and Late Night (Only EP I have), then copy paste the my documents folder from previous install. From there it's all back in order? Probably will have to delete the app data and programs mod folder? (Don't have to answer that question-it's for the people as reference to remember) Anyways I think I'm all set? Just clarifying, because I don't want to mess up.

No program folder data to override?

Delete the composites cache (reference) it will create new ones by refreshing mods to work correctly.
  • Options
    Yes, although again I would suggest running a test game on the clean no-content user game folder that will spawn in Documents the first time you launch it to make sure everything vanilla is working okay before putting your prior content folder in place.

The way this works is that the Launcher "reads" the Downloads folder and tells you if there is anything in there that is waiting to be installed. We don't have to keep anything in Documents unless it is really pending though. Then it "reads" the DCCache folder and shows us, up to a point as there are annoying display limits there, what it finds that is already installed and ready for use. Content installation is not anything like program file installation, all content installation does is put the content into a usable format/place for the game to read from on its next startup.

Not really understanding the program folder data question, sorry. There shouldn't be any need to interact with that under usual operating conditions. The five cache files that should be routinely deleted are in the TS3 user game folder in Documents, whichever game folder you are currently using, not within Program Files or elsewhere.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    Ok thanks...I believe I got the idea how to reinstall everything now.