Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

EXPANSION DATE PREDICTED

Comments

• Options
    Leahmiller2006Leahmiller2006 Posts: 354 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    kusurusu wrote: »
    May seems a bit close given we haven't voted on title or icon yet.

If just the title and the icon are needed to finish the pack then it will be done by the time of voting and they could technically consider it finished as soon as the voting closes and they announce the winner. This round of voting is due in late April if I remember correctly.

They'll have to do the artwork.

What artwork? The objects we voted on last time? Don't know how long that would take, but they are not so many.

They'll need to render the "cover" art (I know it doesn't have a box, but they still do art as if it does) and put together a trailer. To a certain degree, they can do that without the icon and title, but depending on the title it may impact character and item placement (the sample could leave either too much space or too little.)

The items we voted on also need to be modeled and textured, and the interactive ones have suitable programing and animations attached, but presumably that's been in progress since just after the vote was tallied.

OK, so it may take a week for cover art, maybe a bit longer for the trailer. The objects are mostly furniture and decorative, there are only two that offer new gameplay, the rocking chair and the knitting basket. Then I guess they'll also need to do testing.

Also because it’s voted they will have already done most anyway
    Let Your Smile Change Your World, But Don't Let The World Change Your Smile.

5K Mud Run For Cancer Research, 14 July 2018.
    Sims 4, 25th December 2014
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member

If just the title and the icon are needed to finish the pack then it will be done by the time of voting and they could technically consider it finished as soon as the voting closes and they announce the winner. This round of voting is due in late April if I remember correctly.

What artwork? The objects we voted on last time? Don't know how long that would take, but they are not so many.

They'll need to render the "cover" art (I know it doesn't have a box, but they still do art as if it does) and put together a trailer. To a certain degree, they can do that without the icon and title, but depending on the title it may impact character and item placement (the sample could leave either too much space or too little.)

The items we voted on also need to be modeled and textured, and the interactive ones have suitable programing and animations attached, but presumably that's been in progress since just after the vote was tallied.

OK, so it may take a week for cover art, maybe a bit longer for the trailer. The objects are mostly furniture and decorative, there are only two that offer new gameplay, the rocking chair and the knitting basket. Then I guess they'll also need to do testing.

Testing, rounds of art approvals (that will take longer since people are working from home), ad copy text (which also needs approvals)...

As for modeling and texturing the items themselves ... even allowing that they've been working on them for a month (and a lot of that work is apparently contracted out to modelers in China... which is just now lifting it's quarantine) it's not that quick. Not to mention that professional modelers and texture artists aren't always the same people, and there's always the rounds of approval.

So probably about 2-3* months for the items to get finished, and another month on top of that for Art and ad copy. Add a month for buffer (because life happens) and we're looking at June - which is probably booked with the Expansion pack, so July.

* - times are allowing for slowed production due to the current pandemic.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member

Testing, rounds of art approvals (that will take longer since people are working from home), ad copy text (which also needs approvals)...

As for modeling and texturing the items themselves ... even allowing that they've been working on them for a month (and a lot of that work is apparently contracted out to modelers in China... which is just now lifting it's quarantine) it's not that quick. Not to mention that professional modelers and texture artists aren't always the same people, and there's always the rounds of approval.

So probably about 2-3* months for the items to get finished, and another month on top of that for Art and ad copy. Add a month for buffer (because life happens) and we're looking at June - which is probably booked with the Expansion pack, so July.

* - times are allowing for slowed production due to the current pandemic.

I think they have a big team and the different tasks are distributed among them so it's not like one person does everything. They can come up with the concept for the cover art and ad copy text before the content is actually finished, and there aren't that many objects included anyway. It may probably take longer if they decide to include a world.
  • Options
    KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    @logion I think they already delayed one gamepack. The last few years they always released a stuff pack and a game pack before june, I doubt we'll get something in may.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    edited April 2020
    Karon wrote: »
    @logion I think they already delayed one gamepack. The last few years they always released a stuff pack and a game pack before june, I doubt we'll get something in may.

Yeah since they don't announce their packs until they are pretty much done with them we don't know if their packs are delayed or not. They could even be doing like what Sony and Naughty Dog are doing right now with the Last of Us II. The game is complete but they don't want to release it now because they are worried about how much it will sell. Which is fair I guess, since a game like that cost so much to develop.
  • Options
    Leahmiller2006Leahmiller2006 Posts: 354 Member
    My other thought for getting one in May is that they have a sale on now and they always do a sale right before they release a pack
    Let Your Smile Change Your World, But Don't Let The World Change Your Smile.

5K Mud Run For Cancer Research, 14 July 2018.
    Sims 4, 25th December 2014
  • Options
    SimsAddict_SimsAddict_ Posts: 72 Member
    I would really like to see a pack release mid to end May! The announcement could be the end of April, don’t wanna get my hopes up though.
  • Options
    SambylaSambyla Posts: 31 Member
    I think (because of current situation) we get next expansion in july, but otherwise we would have got it in june.
  • Options
    ashcrash19ashcrash19 Posts: 4,407 Member
    It'd be nice to get something in May but I'm not counting on it. I figure June or July for the first pack, if they follow roadmap.
    "Not All Who Wander Are Lost"-Tolkien
    Origin ID: simaddict1990
  • Options
    I’m hoping if the EP gets released in May that the tease and trailer come out this week, or next week!
  • Options
    AlanSimsAlanSims Posts: 713 Member
    Following that pattern we should be getting an EP in June but giving the circumstances of the world with corona virus they might push it to July or August.
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    Maxis needs to hurry and get an Expansion Out. Their losing money by not releasing anything. It's almost May and we still don't have any new packs or free content. I'm ready for more content and more packs. Other gaming studios are releasing games on time even though their working from home. Tripwire is releasing another game I've been waiting for on May 22nd. Their working from home and it isn't getting delayed.
  • Options
    AlanSims wrote: »
    Following that pattern we should be getting an EP in June but giving the circumstances of the world with corona virus they might push it to July or August.

I don't think I can stand to wait for July or August for another pack. The least they could do is release new features thru an update like the option to own more then one home.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member

I don't think I can stand to wait for July or August for another pack. The least they could do is release new features thru an update like the option to own more then one home.

Technically sims can own more then one home, by buying one or more businesses. I would be interested in something that's not possible to do right now, like real apartments doors like we had in TS2, running businesses on home lots, hotels, renting rooms for vacations, or hula dancing.
  • Options
    I think it is possible that the EP could release in June as usual!
  • Options
    x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    EP - Late May
    SP - Mid Aug
    GP - Early Oct
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • Options

Technically sims can own more then one home, by buying one or more businesses. I would be interested in something that's not possible to do right now, like real apartments doors like we had in TS2, running businesses on home lots, hotels, renting rooms for vacations, or hula dancing.

I know but I want them to be able to buy any homes so my sims can own a vacation home in Sulani.
  • Options
    netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Most likely to be in June hopefully at the beginning. Although I would love for it to be released sooner or have some information on the pack in May. It seems ages since we have had new gameplay content and I don't see Tiny Living as new gameplay content as it was a pack for building (which I do enjoy and loved the pack itself) and I won't even go into the new added hottub we had in February as new content. I am excited to see what the themes for the new EP and GP are this year.
  • Options
    I just wanna know the theme of the pack lol, I remember last year Island living was leaked in early May. If they never intended to release a game pack in the winter this year then there is a possibility they focused on an EP first and they intend to release it in May? That would be awesome 😂
  • Options
    jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,861 Member

I understand you're excited about a new pack, but if they take that long, it'll be okay. the pack will still be for sale when it comes out. I think the changes with the work force that limit certain workflow from happening as norm, be it digital, physical, remote or office based, have to be factored into a possible delay in release. You'll be fine if it take a month or two. We'll all be fine if it takes a month or two. Unless we get sick between now and then and if we do, lamenting about not getting the Sims game early is probably going to be far from the forefront of our mind.
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    jcp011c2 wrote: »

I understand you're excited about a new pack, but if they take that long, it'll be okay. the pack will still be for sale when it comes out. I think the changes with the work force that limit certain workflow from happening as norm, be it digital, physical, remote or office based, have to be factored into a possible delay in release. You'll be fine if it take a month or two. We'll all be fine if it takes a month or two. Unless we get sick between now and then and if we do, lamenting about not getting the Sims game early is probably going to be far from the forefront of our mind.

Well atleast that other game from Tripwire will keep me busy till we get another Sims Pack. It's coming May 22nd.
  • Options
    jcp011c2 wrote: »

Well atleast that other game from Tripwire will keep me busy till we get another Sims Pack. It's coming May 22nd.

I'm not sure about the rest, but I think we should be positive instead of using any incidents as one of the factors that the released will be delayed. I'm totally fine if the physical copy is going to be delayed as most of the other games too, but the digital copy can be done once everything has been sorted out.

I personally believe that we need to put a trust to the developers that they already have everything in place. My only concern is why don't they announced the theme together with the previous announcement? Is this part of their marketing gimmick? Or, some changes in the production? Or perhaps, they have a different direction from the top to change the theme of the pack by adding in certain elements to fit the direction?

I'm pretty sure, all the packs that are announced recently are already in their pipeline (within 6 months) and waiting to be released. I'm pretty sure we're going to hear something soon.
  • Options
    I hope so!! 😂
  • Options
    LizzychicagoLizzychicago Posts: 873 Member
    The expansion pack will come middle/end of June, the game pack MAYBE next month, and the stuff pack in September.
    Check my builds and Sims out on the Gallery, username Lizzychicago!
  • Options
    The expansion pack will come middle/end of June, the game pack MAYBE next month, and the stuff pack in September.

I'm just wondering, I've thought that the sequences of the releases should be EP then, SP and the last one is GP within this 6 months (I'm referring to their last announcement - should be left to right, right)? So, I dont' really understand why almost everyone projecting different release months for different packs. Did I missed something?