July 8 - A patch for The Sims 4 is ready for you to install it! Check the patch notes out here.

Is The Sims too childish now? Teen & Adult players have been forgotten

Comments

  • BohoFlowerBohoFlower Posts: 97 Member
    Definitely some things are aimed more towards children and teens but increasingly over the past 12 years i've seen things being more and more tailored towards the younger generations now it's tailored A LOT like that and acquiring all the little extras despite how watered down the game really is now THAT'S for kids... the way they've done it is something kids would want not the Adult players. But they've still given us some room to do quite a bit in the Base Game even using Generic Lots to build a Vacation Home (that a lot of people don't understand we can do lol), plus you can pretend to go camping by building Log Cabins at the edge of town near the trees THAT would be lovely, i'd love to make a Community Lot for Cabins but i don't think the NPCs are programmed to sleep on them even if the ones we're playing CAN they'd just go home it's not THAT much better programming than The Sims 2.

    As for Storylines TS2 never had any you just created your own and pretended, Why do people suddenly have a problem with that? i don't get it... it was super fun in TS2 you say that was the best game but then when TS4 sims are like TS2 sims you now hate it? How can you forget so easily? TS4 sims aren't TS3 sims right now if they plan to make them like that cool... but if not then just pretend, even in TS3 there was still a great deal of pretending you had to do and that's fine to do, this game is all about Creativity and Imagination it's not about everything having to have as much realism as possible and i don't want to have to keep chasing my sims everywhere lets just play the game and have some fun.
  • LeosimsLeosims Posts: 29 Member
    EA Made it More Childish Because Its for Teen Rating or Making more Kids-Friendly.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 2,758 Member
    PmlTry wrote: »
    Yes. It is too childish. It went from being an interesting, creative game to a sort of online Barbie dollhouse.

    A question to all you folks who piped up to say you like the childishness, the oh so pitty-pitty Sims, etc...

    Would it really spoil things for you if those of us interested in more sophisticated storytelling had it as an option? Does the story really HAVE to be lobotomized for everyone in order for it to be fun for you?

    I like it how it is, but I don't "like the childishness" so not sure if I'm who you mean. I just don't think it's childish.

    But it would spoil things very much for me if they made the sims the way they are in, say, Sims 2. I have that game too and I can't play it without getting bored very quickly. I just can't be creative enough with it. The sims fight against me left, right, and centre to do their own thing when I want them to do something else. They have their own personality which makes it so that I can't be creative with them and tell stories in my game play the way I like to, which is really frustrating. If I wanted them to do their own thing I may as well watch a movie because my game play style is to create a story, not to watch them make the story.

    I find it quite the opposite, TS4 is - to me - very boring very quickly, while TS2 is lively, entertaining, and certainly not a bore. The very depth of sims you deplore is what for me sparks the creative juices, opens up new avenues of thought and plot development, and makes for a richer gaming and story writing experience. It's like guiding real little people, not shoving around carboard cut-outs & stage props. RL is full of the unexpected, something that TS2 coneys very well, bringing with it the challenge of weaving that into the story. Being a published author I know a bit about story telling; and as a long time simmer, I know that every player has their own style of play that is good for them - there is no right or wrong way to do sims. One of the points I see in this thread is that earlier versions provided for various play styles, while this version does not -that it has taken a blander approach. Something like oatmeal rather than a steak.
  • ShannonMarie_76ShannonMarie_76 Posts: 26 Member
    Controversial but with Sims, adult players need to be prioritised with regards to marketing - not kids. We’re the ones with disposable income to actually invest in the franchise. Don’t make it overly childish, we can handle some drama, tragedy etc

    For a Teen rated game, Sims 4 seems solely targeted towards children? The players who’ve grown up with the franchise & continue to play seem to have been forgotten about. We want messy storylines, drama, personality, DEPTH. Everything’s just too pretty, happy and dull

    They haven’t even bothered to put an affair storyline in, or a secret child or even a death. How fragile do they think we are? We can handle a bit of emotion and scandal

    This won’t happen but I’d love The Sims franchise to start being marketed as a 15+ game with teen/adult concepts like violence, crime, scandals etc. Kids will always convince their parents to buy the game no matter the rating anyway. Make it less childish?

    I would also really like more adult rated game play. Maybe there could be an option to check in the options or installation process to choose child or adult version. Though I imagine that would probably take a lot of extra work. If nothing else Id like an open world would be nice.
  • popstarsleypopstarsley Posts: 778 Member
    This iteration is far more sandbox-y, more kid-friendly, and with far less obstacles or roadblocks than any previous one. If you like it that way, there’s no reason to get sensitive about it. For some people, it just tends to feel more like a diorama than a game—it feels like there is demonstrably less gameplay and far more moving around of the dolls. Which some people find relaxing, some find it unchallenging.

    Some people like it that way, some don’t. Don’t know why people are taking others’ opinions to heart so hard?
  • BohoFlowerBohoFlower Posts: 97 Member
    This iteration is far more sandbox-y, more kid-friendly, and with far less obstacles or roadblocks than any previous one. If you like it that way, there’s no reason to get sensitive about it. For some people, it just tends to feel more like a diorama than a game—it feels like there is demonstrably less gameplay and far more moving around of the dolls. Which some people find relaxing, some find it unchallenging.

    Some people like it that way, some don’t. Don’t know why people are taking others’ opinions to heart so hard?

    It's definitely back to it's Sandbox roots, people are still very confused why the Packs don't seem to "Add" to the game but they aren't supposed to it's just extras like Sandbox Games always were, it's cos in TS2 it seemed like it did but honestly i only bought 5 Expansions for TS2 plus Happy Holiday but after getting all of them for free it didn't really "Add" much more to the game just more items and a few more activities like Vacations and Neighbourhoods but that's it... so even in TS2 they weren't supposed to "Add" to a game exactly... i just think it's the way you started off with hardly anything in the TS2 Base Game that made it seem that way to get you to buy the Packs but now in TS4 we don't have to it's like "Huh?" LOL. People say its like a Doll House but if you read the Wiki about Maxis it says that's what The Sims is based on is a Doll House so i guess that clears that up.
  • trillveetrillvee Posts: 2 New Member
    To be honest the sims 4 is so boring, if some kid wants something to look up to or something for them their is lots of stuff it’s not the responsibility for people who are not their parents have to pay the price of a boring non engaging game because parents wanted a game for their kids and because they are not taking the initiative to find the many out there, just like parents complaining about people not being role models for their kids, you’re the parent be their role model it’s not other people’s right to do your job that cane with being a parent, their are so many games for kids let this just be for older teens and adults because we are tired of it always being on the topic of kids needing a role model or a game or something else for them, maybe if some parents stop seeking to make everything about and for their kids and let teens and adults have something for their entertainment
  • VividVivid Posts: 22 Member
    I don't feel any need for added violence, apart form the reintroduction of burglars. They really should have done so when ambitions was released. I find it really weird that you can work at the police station, however when you don't work there, you really wouldn't know a police station (or rather the need for there to be a police station) was there. If there is no crime when you play in the sims, then why is there a police station to begin with? Now that I think about it really doesn't make sense.

    Anyway what I meant to say is that I miss the absurdity of the sims 2. I remember playing Don Lothario in the sims 2 and if I recall correctly at some point he had the wish to be dating 30 different sims at the same time. That was absurd and hilarious, and additionally it gave a great challenge.

    Also I miss the really long and complicated quests chains there were in the sims 3. The stuff you had to do wasn't always easy. Like there was a whole quest chain you had to follow before you could resurrect a dead sim, at the science facility. And in world adventuress there were even some for which you had to travel between different countries. There was a challenge and story in them.
    Now if you compare that to for example, the way you become a mage in the sims 4 realm of magic, where you just have to collect some orbs that randomly appear on the lot you are at, there is no challenge whatsoever. It feels like a puzzle for a 2 year old where they need to put a square in a square hole, and a circle in a circle. And apart from that it really disrupts the storytelling. You want your sim to kind of stumble upon a magical world, learn more about it and try to figure out a way if it is possible for them to learn magic too, once they figure out a way it should be a an epic quest, so the becoming a mage actually feels special. It would make casting spells feel more special, even if nothing changes about that. It is sad how with a little effort the whole pack could be raised to a different level, to me at least.
  • halloweenchildhalloweenchild Posts: 662 Member
    Vivid wrote: »
    I don't feel any need for added violence, apart form the reintroduction of burglars. They really should have done so when ambitions was released. I find it really weird that you can work at the police station, however when you don't work there, you really wouldn't know a police station (or rather the need for there to be a police station) was there. If there is no crime when you play in the sims, then why is there a police station to begin with? Now that I think about it really doesn't make sense.

    Anyway what I meant to say is that I miss the absurdity of the sims 2. I remember playing Don Lothario in the sims 2 and if I recall correctly at some point he had the wish to be dating 30 different sims at the same time. That was absurd and hilarious, and additionally it gave a great challenge.

    Also I miss the really long and complicated quests chains there were in the sims 3. The stuff you had to do wasn't always easy. Like there was a whole quest chain you had to follow before you could resurrect a dead sim, at the science facility. And in world adventuress there were even some for which you had to travel between different countries. There was a challenge and story in them.
    Now if you compare that to for example, the way you become a mage in the sims 4 realm of magic, where you just have to collect some orbs that randomly appear on the lot you are at, there is no challenge whatsoever. It feels like a puzzle for a 2 year old where they need to put a square in a square hole, and a circle in a circle. And apart from that it really disrupts the storytelling. You want your sim to kind of stumble upon a magical world, learn more about it and try to figure out a way if it is possible for them to learn magic too, once they figure out a way it should be a an epic quest, so the becoming a mage actually feels special. It would make casting spells feel more special, even if nothing changes about that. It is sad how with a little effort the whole pack could be raised to a different level, to me at least.

    I agree with you on the last part about becoming a spell caster. Like when Vampires were released, sure you could just ask one of the three vampires to turn you, but you had to slowly build up to it, not to mention it has the Vampire Knowledge skill branch where you can research the life state and could even get a whim to "become a vampire" or if you were at high enough friendship with one of the vampires they'd offer you the choice to join the ranks of the undead. Point being there was far more options for roleplay then there are with Spellcasters and Mermaids, almost as if not much roleplaying thought was put into the packs at all. (Given that Merfolk were just tacked onto IL and Spellcasters were a bit of a disappointment despite their skill trees and effort in other areas.)
  • VividVivid Posts: 22 Member
    > @halloweenchild said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > I agree with you on the last part about becoming a spell caster. Like when Vampires were released, sure you could just ask one of the three vampires to turn you, but you had to slowly build up to it, not to mention it has the Vampire Knowledge skill branch where you can research the life state and could even get a whim to "become a vampire" or if you were at high enough friendship with one of the vampires they'd offer you the choice to join the ranks of the undead. Point being there was far more options for roleplay then there are with Spellcasters and Mermaids, almost as if not much roleplaying thought was put into the packs at all. (Given that Merfolk were just tacked onto IL and Spellcasters were a bit of a disappointment despite their skill trees and effort in other areas.)

    Yeah it does work better with the vampires. I really like the addition of the lore skill, like you said, it makes your storytelling feel more believable.

    I remember with the first sim I wanted to be a spell caster I actually made friends with Gideon before asking him the question, partially because I thought it would be required to at least be on a good friendship level, or at the very least have a good quality conversation or something. And secondly because I really wanted to do the extra work, did not want it to be so easy. But I think you can just walk up to them, instantly ask to be turned, and that's it.
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 1,884 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »
    PmlTry wrote: »
    “But it would spoil things very much for me if they made the sims the way they are in, say, Sims 2. I have that game too and I can't play it without getting bored very quickly. I just can't be creative enough with it. The sims fight against me left, right, and centre to do their own thing when I want them to do something else. They have their own personality which makes it so that I can't be creative with them and tell stories in my game play the way I like to, which is really frustrating. If I wanted them to do their own thing I may as well watch a movie because my game play style is to create a story, not to watch them make the story.”

    I found that element of free will in Sims 2 a spur to creativity. And you do know you could turn it off, right?

    This is not about going back to Sims 2. (For the record, I prefer Sims 3.) This is about a newer version actually being an improvement rather than a regression that caters solely to people who want to build worlds of nothing but pretty people and fashionable clothes.


    Some people are happy to just take pictures of their sims and post stories. They use pose player with lots of fake poses and interactions and, as long as they have their pretty pictures, they probably don't even notice that the actual gameplay is lacking.

    PmlTry wrote: »
    “But it would spoil things very much for me if they made the sims the way they are in, say, Sims 2. I have that game too and I can't play it without getting bored very quickly. I just can't be creative enough with it. The sims fight against me left, right, and centre to do their own thing when I want them to do something else. They have their own personality which makes it so that I can't be creative with them and tell stories in my game play the way I like to, which is really frustrating. If I wanted them to do their own thing I may as well watch a movie because my game play style is to create a story, not to watch them make the story.”

    I found that element of free will in Sims 2 a spur to creativity. And you do know you could turn it off, right?

    This is not about going back to Sims 2. (For the record, I prefer Sims 3.) This is about a newer version actually being an improvement rather than a regression that caters solely to people who want to build worlds of nothing but pretty people and fashionable clothes.

    No, you couldn't turn off what I'm talking about. Sim's personalities. I hate how they are done in Sims 2. Animations are great, but the personality of the Sims themselves is so deep and I can't stand it. I want a completely blank state to tell my stories. (And I dislike Sims 3 too for other reasons. I have the gamebut again get bored very quickly). Sims4 IS a better version for my game play style. Which has nothing to do with building worlds of pretty people, but even if it did, and for those that it does, that game play style is not wrong or more childish than someone elses and there's no reason Sims teams shouldn't cater to them.

    You can turn sims 3 story profession , and free will off.
  • Bluebeard45Bluebeard45 Posts: 3,496 Member
    I wouldn't say childish but more lost. Been playing since day 1 and bought 2 computers to keep up with the game so I can say the Sims have lost there way. When they skipped the toddler stage and turned the baby into a object I knew something was off. The Sims have been about story telling and raising families for generations.
  • bluzkat65bluzkat65 Posts: 397 Member
    edited June 16
    PmlTry wrote: »
    Yes. It is too childish. It went from being an interesting, creative game to a sort of online Barbie dollhouse.

    A question to all you folks who piped up to say you like the childishness, the oh so pitty-pitty Sims, etc...

    Would it really spoil things for you if those of us interested in more sophisticated storytelling had it as an option? Does the story really HAVE to be lobotomized for everyone in order for it to be fun for you?

    Exactly! Even the S2 had more personality and fun to play. The dollhouse thing is a complete turnoff with me. I play with CC and those items are almost as real as it can get, yet it looks strange being in S4 because of the clunky look. EA has catered to the lower computer, now it is time to up their own game if they expect a good reception to the S5. My interest in Paralives is growing by the day.
  • TwicelikeyTwicelikey Posts: 175 Member
    bluzkat65 wrote: »
    PmlTry wrote: »
    Yes. It is too childish. It went from being an interesting, creative game to a sort of online Barbie dollhouse.

    A question to all you folks who piped up to say you like the childishness, the oh so pitty-pitty Sims, etc...

    Would it really spoil things for you if those of us interested in more sophisticated storytelling had it as an option? Does the story really HAVE to be lobotomized for everyone in order for it to be fun for you?

    Exactly! Even the S2 had more personality and fun to play. The dollhouse thing is a complete turnoff with me. I play with CC and those items are almost as real as it can get, yet it looks strange being in S4 because of the clunky look. EA has catered to the lower computer, now it is time to up their own game if they expect a good reception to the S5. My interest in Paralives is growing by the day.

    That is probably because not everyone has a computer that can play even TS4 well. I remember a poll and quite a lot of Simmers according to that barely could run TS4 even on the lowest settings. Kinda insulting to give the impression that they being considered is a negative thing.
  • To7mTo7m Posts: 5,274 Member
    I wouldn’t say childish. I’d call it severely diluted.


    —T
  • Renato10Renato10 Posts: 266 Member
    I would love to see detonation from The Sims 3 Ambitions back! It is kinda fun going around with my evil sim on his neighbours houses detonating their cars or any other thing they could possible have outside xD
  • PulquoPulquo Posts: 28 Member
    i mean, if you still get your job done and have free time, why would any hobby be childish?
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 3,416 Member
    edited June 19
    crocobaura wrote: »
    PmlTry wrote: »
    “But it would spoil things very much for me if they made the sims the way they are in, say, Sims 2. I have that game too and I can't play it without getting bored very quickly. I just can't be creative enough with it. The sims fight against me left, right, and centre to do their own thing when I want them to do something else. They have their own personality which makes it so that I can't be creative with them and tell stories in my game play the way I like to, which is really frustrating. If I wanted them to do their own thing I may as well watch a movie because my game play style is to create a story, not to watch them make the story.”

    I found that element of free will in Sims 2 a spur to creativity. And you do know you could turn it off, right?

    This is not about going back to Sims 2. (For the record, I prefer Sims 3.) This is about a newer version actually being an improvement rather than a regression that caters solely to people who want to build worlds of nothing but pretty people and fashionable clothes.


    Some people are happy to just take pictures of their sims and post stories. They use pose player with lots of fake poses and interactions and, as long as they have their pretty pictures, they probably don't even notice that the actual gameplay is lacking.

    PmlTry wrote: »
    “But it would spoil things very much for me if they made the sims the way they are in, say, Sims 2. I have that game too and I can't play it without getting bored very quickly. I just can't be creative enough with it. The sims fight against me left, right, and centre to do their own thing when I want them to do something else. They have their own personality which makes it so that I can't be creative with them and tell stories in my game play the way I like to, which is really frustrating. If I wanted them to do their own thing I may as well watch a movie because my game play style is to create a story, not to watch them make the story.”

    I found that element of free will in Sims 2 a spur to creativity. And you do know you could turn it off, right?

    This is not about going back to Sims 2. (For the record, I prefer Sims 3.) This is about a newer version actually being an improvement rather than a regression that caters solely to people who want to build worlds of nothing but pretty people and fashionable clothes.

    No, you couldn't turn off what I'm talking about. Sim's personalities. I hate how they are done in Sims 2. Animations are great, but the personality of the Sims themselves is so deep and I can't stand it. I want a completely blank state to tell my stories. (And I dislike Sims 3 too for other reasons. I have the gamebut again get bored very quickly). Sims4 IS a better version for my game play style. Which has nothing to do with building worlds of pretty people, but even if it did, and for those that it does, that game play style is not wrong or more childish than someone elses and there's no reason Sims teams shouldn't cater to them.

    You can turn sims 3 story profession , and free will off.

    I wouldn't want to turn off story progression or free will. I like it.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 2,758 Member
    To7m wrote: »
    I wouldn’t say childish. I’d call it severely diluted.—T

    This is more accurate, especially when compared to earlier versions. Until now each new version brought something new to the game, often major. TS4 guts the gameplay & building and attempts to compensate by pretty new graphics. Sorry, that doesn't work.
  • deeman190deeman190 Posts: 83 Member
    I used to deliberately set off fireworks inside of my house in The Sims 1.
  • Shadow_AssassinShadow_Assassin Posts: 1,130 Member
    edited June 20
    Bluelle wrote: »
    When I say I'd prefer it to be a bit more "adult" I don't mean that I want to install 18+ mods with violence and s*xual content. I just mean I want more depth. Bring me some actual challenge, I don't want a life simulator to be "perfect" where everyone gets what they want and I have to actively make an effort to create and pretend that my sims have drama in their lives, because that's not an actual life simulator. TS4 is an utopia simulator with no challenge, no risks, no drama, no mess, no hardships, and you barely have to put in any effort to succeed.
    Strongly agree


    I'm in my early twenties and started from TS4 when 19. As for "explicit content", it can create by ourselves. I'm a storyteller player and usually create explicit content (in some way) sims stories, such as mysterious death in band, mad former scientist dating with her gun what/who become a fairy, dead young rock star become wrathful ghost and revenge on irrational fans. Few of my sims' bio also have (euphemistic describe) 15+ content, I might be warned if I post here, although I think it's euphemistic enough.
    C8cd0K.jpg
    sims.fandom.com/wiki/User:ShadeAssassin
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 1,884 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »
    PmlTry wrote: »
    “But it would spoil things very much for me if they made the sims the way they are in, say, Sims 2. I have that game too and I can't play it without getting bored very quickly. I just can't be creative enough with it. The sims fight against me left, right, and centre to do their own thing when I want them to do something else. They have their own personality which makes it so that I can't be creative with them and tell stories in my game play the way I like to, which is really frustrating. If I wanted them to do their own thing I may as well watch a movie because my game play style is to create a story, not to watch them make the story.”

    I found that element of free will in Sims 2 a spur to creativity. And you do know you could turn it off, right?

    This is not about going back to Sims 2. (For the record, I prefer Sims 3.) This is about a newer version actually being an improvement rather than a regression that caters solely to people who want to build worlds of nothing but pretty people and fashionable clothes.


    Some people are happy to just take pictures of their sims and post stories. They use pose player with lots of fake poses and interactions and, as long as they have their pretty pictures, they probably don't even notice that the actual gameplay is lacking.

    PmlTry wrote: »
    “But it would spoil things very much for me if they made the sims the way they are in, say, Sims 2. I have that game too and I can't play it without getting bored very quickly. I just can't be creative enough with it. The sims fight against me left, right, and centre to do their own thing when I want them to do something else. They have their own personality which makes it so that I can't be creative with them and tell stories in my game play the way I like to, which is really frustrating. If I wanted them to do their own thing I may as well watch a movie because my game play style is to create a story, not to watch them make the story.”

    I found that element of free will in Sims 2 a spur to creativity. And you do know you could turn it off, right?

    This is not about going back to Sims 2. (For the record, I prefer Sims 3.) This is about a newer version actually being an improvement rather than a regression that caters solely to people who want to build worlds of nothing but pretty people and fashionable clothes.

    No, you couldn't turn off what I'm talking about. Sim's personalities. I hate how they are done in Sims 2. Animations are great, but the personality of the Sims themselves is so deep and I can't stand it. I want a completely blank state to tell my stories. (And I dislike Sims 3 too for other reasons. I have the gamebut again get bored very quickly). Sims4 IS a better version for my game play style. Which has nothing to do with building worlds of pretty people, but even if it did, and for those that it does, that game play style is not wrong or more childish than someone elses and there's no reason Sims teams shouldn't cater to them.

    You can turn sims 3 story profession , and free will off.

    I wouldn't want to turn off story progression or free will. I like it.

    But if your problem was their personalities.That would gave them the blank state you need to tell your stories.
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 3,416 Member
    edited June 21
    crocobaura wrote: »
    PmlTry wrote: »
    “But it would spoil things very much for me if they made the sims the way they are in, say, Sims 2. I have that game too and I can't play it without getting bored very quickly. I just can't be creative enough with it. The sims fight against me left, right, and centre to do their own thing when I want them to do something else. They have their own personality which makes it so that I can't be creative with them and tell stories in my game play the way I like to, which is really frustrating. If I wanted them to do their own thing I may as well watch a movie because my game play style is to create a story, not to watch them make the story.”

    I found that element of free will in Sims 2 a spur to creativity. And you do know you could turn it off, right?

    This is not about going back to Sims 2. (For the record, I prefer Sims 3.) This is about a newer version actually being an improvement rather than a regression that caters solely to people who want to build worlds of nothing but pretty people and fashionable clothes.


    Some people are happy to just take pictures of their sims and post stories. They use pose player with lots of fake poses and interactions and, as long as they have their pretty pictures, they probably don't even notice that the actual gameplay is lacking.

    PmlTry wrote: »
    “But it would spoil things very much for me if they made the sims the way they are in, say, Sims 2. I have that game too and I can't play it without getting bored very quickly. I just can't be creative enough with it. The sims fight against me left, right, and centre to do their own thing when I want them to do something else. They have their own personality which makes it so that I can't be creative with them and tell stories in my game play the way I like to, which is really frustrating. If I wanted them to do their own thing I may as well watch a movie because my game play style is to create a story, not to watch them make the story.”

    I found that element of free will in Sims 2 a spur to creativity. And you do know you could turn it off, right?

    This is not about going back to Sims 2. (For the record, I prefer Sims 3.) This is about a newer version actually being an improvement rather than a regression that caters solely to people who want to build worlds of nothing but pretty people and fashionable clothes.

    No, you couldn't turn off what I'm talking about. Sim's personalities. I hate how they are done in Sims 2. Animations are great, but the personality of the Sims themselves is so deep and I can't stand it. I want a completely blank state to tell my stories. (And I dislike Sims 3 too for other reasons. I have the gamebut again get bored very quickly). Sims4 IS a better version for my game play style. Which has nothing to do with building worlds of pretty people, but even if it did, and for those that it does, that game play style is not wrong or more childish than someone elses and there's no reason Sims teams shouldn't cater to them.

    You can turn sims 3 story profession , and free will off.

    I wouldn't want to turn off story progression or free will. I like it.

    But if your problem was their personalities.That would gave them the blank state you need to tell your stories.

    No, it wouldn't be what I need for how I play and the stories I tell. But actually, I DON'T have a problem with their personalities, in fact I think they are perfect how they are now, if you read my other posts. I play with autonomy on, but still micromanage them, and it's the PERFECT combo for my stories just as it is now. They don't stand around and do nothing, which would be boring and unrealistic to me, but they don't do anything big on their own.

    And story progession is a lot of fun for the Sims I'm no longer playing. Sure I don't want my current active sim to suddenly go get married... but I play several (3) large families, with 9 kids each, (some grown and moved out), and some of thsoe have kids.. I don't play ALL of them and I love turning on MCCC to see how the ones I Don't play progress in the background, it doesn't affect my story as they aren't part of it anymore. Story progression is awesome and I'd love to see it added to Sims 4.

    What I'm saying is that I wouldn't want personalities to change BECAUSE I have no problem with them now. Story Progression and Free Will are different to me. But I would not want to see something like turn ons/turn offs or stuff like meaningful stories adds, with Sims getting random traits suddenly, or being harder to keep happy, or not getting along with another Sim that you want them too etc.

    But as it is right now, I have no issues. Hope that makes sense.

    *Edit unless you meant Sims 3 personalities? In which case my problem is more with Sims 2 personalities, Sims 3 I don't like for other reasons, the world felt empty and I couldn't get past the art style/graphics which are extremely important to me and I hate the Sims 3 style. I played for a little bit, got bored quick, my experience with them isn't enough to comment on if I liked their personalities or not as I don't remember now. But the Sims 4 ones are perfect (for my game play) anyways so if they are different than Sims 4, which people seem to suggest, then yeah, not interested really. I do have the game, and tried to play a couple months ago, (Sims 2 as well) but I just can't go back to them after Sims 4. Story progression was nice though. I'm grateful MCCC adds that to Sims 4, and the new phone calls are a good start with Sims 4 too but would like it properly added in one day, however, it's not a deal breaker to me and if MCCC ever stopped updating or became a pay service I'd still pick Sims 4 ahead even without the story progression. I'd just miss it.
    Post edited by SimAlexandria on
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 5,797 Member
    edited June 23
    Twicelikey wrote: »
    bluzkat65 wrote: »
    PmlTry wrote: »
    Yes. It is too childish. It went from being an interesting, creative game to a sort of online Barbie dollhouse.

    A question to all you folks who piped up to say you like the childishness, the oh so pitty-pitty Sims, etc...

    Would it really spoil things for you if those of us interested in more sophisticated storytelling had it as an option? Does the story really HAVE to be lobotomized for everyone in order for it to be fun for you?

    Exactly! Even the S2 had more personality and fun to play. The dollhouse thing is a complete turnoff with me. I play with CC and those items are almost as real as it can get, yet it looks strange being in S4 because of the clunky look. EA has catered to the lower computer, now it is time to up their own game if they expect a good reception to the S5. My interest in Paralives is growing by the day.

    That is probably because not everyone has a computer that can play even TS4 well. I remember a poll and quite a lot of Simmers according to that barely could run TS4 even on the lowest settings. Kinda insulting to give the impression that they being considered is a negative thing.

    When that results in a poorer quality game then it is absolutely negative. I mean you don’t see any developers making sure their games still run on last gen hardware. No, if people want to play their games they have to shell out the money for the console that will play them. PC is no different and I don’t think catering to that crowd makes much sense. Sims 4 was already built for low end PC’s and laptops. If someone still can’t play it then that’s their problem. Is EA supposed to be making sure Sims 4 runs on my grandparents budget computer from 1998? No of course not. Someone who chooses a cheap PC should not be catered to solely because they chose a cheap PC unfit for what they’re actually trying to use it for. At the end of the day if someone has the money for this game and it’s DLC it’s a lack of restraint that’s prohibiting them from getting a computer that can play the game. My desktop was not cheap, and it took me years to get the money to get it without slapping it on my charge card.
  • bellagoth_bellagoth_ Posts: 577 Member
    grannynerd wrote: »
    The only reason why I got into the Sims 1 in the first place was because I enjoyed the crazy stuff that happened. Mind you, I was 9-years old at this time. I ENJOYED the adult elements of the game. I am pretty sure that I would've became very bored with the Sims 4 if it came out when I was younger.

    I consider myself a legacy player since I've been a Simmer since the first game came out decades ago. But I really do not get any type of... Enjoyment from the Sims 4. Say, in the older games (2&3) if you made a Sim with "bad" traits, they would wonder off and start terrorizing other Sims if you left them alone for awhile. I LOVED that. In the Sims 4, sims with bad traits only seem to get angry or childish in terms of emotions. They don't really do anything. And I've noticed that the things that they do are quickly forgiven since everyone since Sims seem to have the memory of a goldfish in this game. Speaking of memories, don't y'all miss that? I really enjoyed looking at my sims memories.

    Mind you, I was a teenager when the Sims 2 came out so I was the target audience. As a teenager, I ENJOYED the game play. The Sims 3 came out when I was in college, so I was a teenager entering young adult hood--so I'll say I was still the target audience back then as well. I thought that the Sims 3 lacked some of the things from the Sims 2, but I really enjoyed the open world element since I could keep track of multiple sims at the same time (this is impossible in the Sims 4 which I find annoying). I really loved the Sims 3 University, so I was very disappointed in the Sims 4 Discover University.

    I play the Sims 4 just to build or decorate. But whenever I try to play again, I get really bored since there isn't much to do. I do not enjoy "using my imagination". I feel like this is kind of ableist in a way since I am autistic so I cannot suspend my disbelief. Instead of sims acting like their traits, I have to PRETEND that they're way. Also, I really miss sims having interests. The sims in the Sims 4 all seem to get along easily which is ridiculous. If they have contrary traits or have different interests (a geek obsessed about aliens versus a jock obsessed with the gym) they shouldn't be able to become best friends in 5-seconds.

    I tend to find non-legacy simmers are more forgiving of the Sims 4 since they did not grow up with this game. I grew up with this game. I started playing it at 9 and I am now in my 30's. I'm just saying... EA, please improve this game in the Sims 5 and do not threaten to "not make it" if we refuse to buy it. Y'all really messed up on Sim City which is why Cities: Skylines surpassed y'all in ratings. The company that created Cities: Skylines is working on their own sim game, so EA your time is almost up because I can guarantee that Paradox Interactive (makers of Cities: Skylines) will actually listen to their players and deliver a game. EA needs to have some competition because they have become WAY too greedy and lazy with this series.

    this comment deserves more attention
    i'm telling y'all. bella goth's disappearance was just her running away from this franchise before it became what it is rn, a JOKE
Sign In or Register to comment.
Return to top