Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

When do your sims have babies?

ยซ13
Hey guys! Silly question, but when do you have your sims make babies? When they're young adults or just regular adults? I usually do it when they're young adults, but I can't get that "grandparents" vibe if their child gets to have children as well, cause whenever that happens, the original sims are just regular adults.

Origin: TeoKnowsBest

Comments

• Options
    Kellogg_J_KelloggKellogg_J_Kellogg Posts: 1,552 Member
    Usually as young adults but that's not a hard and fast rule. And if an older Sim wants to enjoy grandparenthood to the max, then there's always saving up enough points for a potion of youth.
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    My sims have babies as YA or adults depending on the story. But i prefer them to have babies when adults. This way they can 'live' a little before all that responsability.
  • Options
    DijktafoneDijktafone Posts: 775 Member
    That one thing I procrastinate the most! But if I wouldn't, I'd say probably several days before becoming fully responsible adults.
  • Options
    BK747BK747 Posts: 174 Member
    I usually have my sims use a potion of youth towards the end of their young adult phase so that I get two periods of young adulthood. The first one is primarily for career and getting established in life. The second young adult phase for finding love and getting married. They have kids towards the end of that second young adult phase, so that as an adult everything is established in terms of home and career and they can focus all of their energy on raising the kids.
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    Usually late in Young Adult stage or early in the Adult stage. But I've done right after becoming a young adult and relatively late in adult stage too (though that last wasn't exactly intentional. Fortunately, one parent had the long life aspiration, or I would have had an orphan kid.)
  • Options
    Huiiie_07Huiiie_07 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Rarely, to be honest, but if so as young adults, because as adults, they would become elders before their children even reached young adulthood which seems a bit too old to have children anyway.
    Origin ID: Huiiie_07

I like to build stuff
  • Options
    annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    Young adult and/or adult depending on the story. I usually play with ageing off though and manually age up my sims when I want to.
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    It depends on the story.
  • Options
    DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    In early young adulthood.
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • Options
    fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    Young adult. As soon as possible. Usually do the whole find a partner, get married, try for baby thing within the first sim day of playing. Not very patient when it comes to starting sim families. :D
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    I usually get established in career, and have a good cushion of money and vaction days, before I venture into child-rearing - if I do, and not all my Sims care to. Young Adulthood, certainly - but no one ages unless I say they age up, so they have all the time in the world.
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    It varies with different families. I often will try wait till almost the end of young adult or early adult.
  • Options
    FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    I find something odd about the grandparent - child chances in this game as well. According to the devs logic, Sims in their adult phase are supposed to consider kids, but I think this is WAY too late especially, cause there isn't much to do with the younger stages, so you always just look forward to just get kids asap and start some sort of meaningful family gameplay.
    And adult sims just have that older look I don't like. I also do not like the western ideology of having kids when you are 30/40 as it is more healthy to have kids in your 20's.

Anyway, when my sims become kids, their grandparents usually are already dead which is strange as I mostly have kids right away in their YA stage. Something if off.
  • Options
    Huiiie_07Huiiie_07 Posts: 1,200 Member
    edited March 2020
    I find something odd about the grandparent - child chances in this game as well. According to the devs logic, Sims in their adult phase are supposed to consider kids, but I think this is WAY too late especially, cause there isn't much to do with the younger stages, so you always just look forward to just get kids asap and start some sort of meaningful family gameplay.
    And adult sims just have that older look I don't like. I also do not like the western ideology of having kids when you are 30/40 as it is more healthy to have kids in your 20's.

Anyway, when my sims become kids, their grandparents usually are already dead which is strange as I mostly have kids right away in their YA stage. Something if off.

To be fair, the inclusion of toddlers kinda messed this up. They should have added a few more days onto the young adult and adult life stages when they added toddlers, because as it is now, the parents grow old far too quickly. It would be much more balanced if the grandparents are in their late adult stage when the grandchildren are babies and toddlers, start the elder stage when the grandkids are children, and are at the end of it by the time the grandchildren are teens/young adults.

I agree with you btw, I personally think having kids in real life when you're over 35 is just too old. My parents had me with 30 and 32, which is still young enough, but older than many others. I also know someone whose parents decided ten years after their first child was born to have another one at 40. It's just ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ for the kids to start their 20s while their parents are almost old enough to retire.
    Origin ID: Huiiie_07

I like to build stuff
  • Options
    AshenAshen Posts: 34 Member
    Usually as young adults.
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,674 Member
    Ha, I normally forget top find them a partner, and no partner no kids... One adult female just a few days off from elderhood was sent to a bar to flirt with the random bartender, then got him home and voila - she had triplets right before turning elderly. Poor woman, she even lives in a rather tiny house .-.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    Late young adult-early adult - depending on the sim.
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • Options
    fiercephoenix91fiercephoenix91 Posts: 175 Member
    It depends how long it takes me to find a partner for my Sim. I usually try young adult cause then maybe they can live a little longer to see their grandchildren in child stages. Otherwise, none of my Sims live long enough to see grandchildren unless I create them at the start of a save. :(
  • Options
    tinahjalmartinahjalmar Posts: 1,595 Member
    For me it's usually young adult, late young adult and adult
  • Options
    BrandontaylorBrandontaylor Posts: 4,774 Member
    Usually mine have children in the first or second week of Young Adulthood. If my Sim is going to live a longer than normal lifespan, then it is whenever I decide.
  • Options
    Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,326 Member
    Since I now play on long life span, It's basically, whenever.
    But when I played on short life span, it was as quickly as possible! :D

Kinda like the difference between goblins with very short life spans and elves with really long life spans. ;)
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• Options
    wickichickwickichick Posts: 11,130 Member
    I prefer to turn off aging...it seems sims 4 allows for more creative imagination then past versions of the sims..so if you want your sim to be interesting... you need to combine what the game does give you and then include your own adaptive story line and develop a character who is likable and one you can relate to..that takes time. It is easier to do this with one sim at first and then I like to adapt the town or towns to how that sim chooses to live...usually with something that makes money from home. I might tweak the local library and coffee shop for a writer...or have public garden areas for a future farmer..etc; Then you also need social activities to gather a selective group of friends..maybe that is a night club ..a restaurant...whatever fits the character of the sim. So it is a bit before the main character is ready to meet someone to marry and settle down with. I like the spouse to have a job and excel in that field some prior to having kids...and for both parents to have hardly hungry...seldom sleepy...and steel bladder..then it is time to start a family. I really enjoyed reading what others answered to this question.
  • Options
    SablesashaSablesasha Posts: 417 Member
    I swap it around first gen young adult then as the second gen has kids they have grandparents to help with kids, then each gen I swap it around
  • Options
    DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    I use potions of youth to make the young adult and adult stages longer, then I consider the YA stage early 20s to mid 40s, and Adult stage mid 40s to late 60s. So when they become adults I give them a makeover to make them look middle aged, and that helps with the grandparent thing. A lot of people become grandparents in their 50s, not when they look as old as the elders in the game. Most of my sims have kids as YAs, and if they have them as Adults it's very early in the adult stage and has a story purpose.