Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I hate emotional deaths :(

I have been playing with this really cool sim and her really really awesome (adopted, not created) dog.... She wanted to become a famous artsy city-dwelling photographer or museum owner or whatever... and just as she was on one of her many unsuccessful dates, she decided to become hysterical and ... die :( I hate this. Will just have to exit without saving, but uhhhghfughr.

Just expressing my frustration.

To keep her in loving memory, here's a pic of her celebrating NYE a couple of days before she perished.

r5VlMYk.png
c9y35MD.png

Comments

• Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    You can turn off emotional deaths with MCCC mod.
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    I know I just forgot about it and it's been so long since I've played with a goofball sim, I forgot how vulnerable they are to laughing themselves to death 😅
  • Options
    AnnLee87AnnLee87 Posts: 2,475 Member
    I turn them off. They are thing of the past for me. If you don't use mods. You don't need a mod. There is a cheat to toggle death off. You have to type it in everytime you play. I use MCC because I don't like to type and remember all the codes.
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member
    Sorry to hear about the demise of your favored Sim. :(

I really hate the hysterical and mortified deaths. They're way too silly. The hysterical is so easy to reach too because the excessive happy buffs just bump everything up. I could deal with a depression death or death from fright, but laughter? Ugh.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,881 Member
    Sorry to hear that. ☹️ I save every 20 minutes or so. Have been doing it for the last 20 years so it's automatic by now. Then I'll just delete the previous save.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    @LiELF Agreed. Actually, I don't think I've ever had any other mood death than the hysterical one, though I'm sure mortified must be equally annoying. Death by emotions 🙄 Is death by sadness or anger even a thing without an awful, awful amount of trying? It's never happened to me anyway ...

• Options
    Sorry to hear that. ☹️ I save every 20 minutes or so. Have been doing it for the last 20 years so it's automatic by now. Then I'll just delete the previous save.

Yes I should really start making a habit of that, too. Thanks! She's alive and well now in her parallel universe, it's the day pre-NYE again, and... I'm going to sleep now knowing that it's the weekend tomorrow! Time enough to fix it then. :)
  • Options
    cody6268cody6268 Posts: 643 Member
    Had this happen to a Sim I occasionally played during one of the festivals in San Myshuno. Actually, first time a Sim ever dropped dead without me actually initiating the death through MCCC or another mod.

Has anyone actually laughed themselves to death? I can't recall it ever actually having happened. I am sure it could cause cardiac arrest; but even then...
  • Options
    CatzillaCatzilla Posts: 1,181 Member
    Aww, I'm sorry that happened.
    And, hooray for an earlier save game rescue!
  • Options
    CatzillaCatzilla Posts: 1,181 Member
    edited February 2020
    I had a sim get killed by being electrocuted indoors during a lightning storm once, he was at the computer, I think. I sat there stunned for a minute wondering what just happened (I was pretty new to the game) and then I was like, Nope, not going to happen like this, let me exit and reload.
  • Options
    alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    Emotional deaths were the DUMBEST idea for the game! This limits the desire to want to see the broad emotions of the game. I always make sure I disable emotional deaths!
  • Options
    HestiaHestia Posts: 1,997 Member
    I’ve never been a fan of emotional deaths and am always happy to turn it off with MCCC. I see it as too ridiculously dumb and childish.
    wB2Zykl.jpg
  • Options
    Catzilla wrote: »
    I had a sim get killed by being electrocuted indoors during a lightning storm once, he was at the computer, I think. I sat there stunned for a minute wondering what just happened (I was pretty new to the game) and then I was like, Nope, not going to happen like this, let me exit and reload.

Lol wait, that can happen? How awesome. See my sims never die from something cool like lightning strikes, it's either old age or ... laughter. For some reason. :joy: Still curious to know if anyone's sim ever actually died from sadness or anger though. Cause I'm sure that my sims can walk around sad for days on end without anything happening. Meanwhile, playful moods stack to such a ridonculous degree that I rarely even know what exactly made them hysterical.

@Hestia will do that too now. Completely agree.
  • Options
    ddd994ddd994 Posts: 418 Member

I disagree. The sims are your responsability to keep alive, it’s kind of the point of live mode. You either help your sim prosper and be successful, or watch them fail at life and yes, potentially die. The emotion system is one of the core gameplay features of TS4, and 100% manipulative. I would check out a couple of tutorials if you are struggling? I wouldn’t call it dumb to add challenging buffs, it is a game at the end of the day.

If you end up with up to +40 Worth of emotional buffs (I think that’s when your sim is in the danger zone), then stop what you’re doing and watch out for your sim. Same as if you have an elder who gets over-exhausted (similarly this is a danger zone for elders), you make them take a bath or have a nap; Or sims freezing outside, or swimming with sharks, or just sleeping on the new Murphy bed lol.. There are times when you need to step in and save your sim! Death by extreme emotion is easily avoidable, just saying ;) If you have multiple sims another tip is to give them all a death flower in their inventory, you can save dying sims by exchanging the flower with Grim.
  • Options
    ddd994ddd994 Posts: 418 Member
    Just curious btw, I play on console and there is an auto save feature. There’s also a warning tip to save frequently in the loading screen, is that not a thing on PC?
  • Options
    FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    I never had it, but I wouldn't mind the little realism if my sim died from being very angry or sad. Dying from laughing, yeah maybe.. but it should be very very rare compared to others.
    Dying from being happy or embarrassed.. now that is just straight out weird.

Btw, I think if you just reset your sim before it died, you could save her. Like that, you could keep your save file.
  • Options
    ddd994 wrote: »
    I disagree. The sims are your responsability to keep alive, it’s kind of the point of live mode. You either help your sim prosper and be successful, or watch them fail at life and yes, potentially die. The emotion system is one of the core gameplay features of TS4, and 100% manipulative. I would check out a couple of tutorials if you are struggling? I wouldn’t call it dumb to add challenging buffs, it is a game at the end of the day.

If you end up with up to +40 Worth of emotional buffs (I think that’s when your sim is in the danger zone), then stop what you’re doing and watch out for your sim. Same as if you have an elder who gets over-exhausted (similarly this is a danger zone for elders), you make them take a bath or have a nap; Or sims freezing outside, or swimming with sharks, or just sleeping on the new Murphy bed lol.. There are times when you need to step in and save your sim! Death by extreme emotion is easily avoidable, just saying ;) If you have multiple sims another tip is to give them all a death flower in their inventory, you can save dying sims by exchanging the flower with Grim.

I'm not "struggling", I just think emotional deaths are idiotic. Sure, keeping your sims alive and healthy is your responsibility but the emotion system is in sooo many ways a flawed system that isn't well thought out at all. There are so many positive / playful moodlets all stacking on top of each other that shouldn't even have the power to kill anyone (I mean, I don't know, but I've never met anyone who died from wearing freshly washed clothes, playing with their dog and having friends over), and there are barely any negative ones. So while it's not very difficult to have a sim that's overly playful, embarrassed or happy, it's dang near impossible to have one be thoroughly depressed. And let's not forget that embarrassed, angry and sad are like the only really negative emotions we have. Where is scared/terrified? Nostalgic? Claustrophobic (looking at you, Tiny Living .......)? And I actually did send my sim to "call herself down", just like the other times this happened, about 5 seconds after the hysteria buff comes on, and another 5 before she dies.

It's fine if you like the emotion system, but it can hardly be called a balanced system. I'd be excited if my sim died from prolonged depression - not that it's realistic, but at least it would be less weird than laughing or .. enjoying(?) herself to death. Trust me, I loved and played TS and TS2 a lot and those were actually hard in terms of need management. Except that never infuriated me quite as much as emotional deaths do. Guess we're all different ;)
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    I always stack multiple positive influences, and NEVER see an emotional death. And, if I did, I'd quit without saving. But before it got that far, I'd neutralize the extreme emotion some other way. Very Playful is a warning to calm down. I do that, all good. It's manageable, if you pay attention and actually manage it.
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited February 2020
    SimTrippy wrote: »
    Catzilla wrote: »

Lol wait, that can happen? How awesome. See my sims never die from something cool like lightning strikes, it's either old age or ... laughter. For some reason. :joy: Still curious to know if anyone's sim ever actually died from sadness or anger though. Cause I'm sure that my sims can walk around sad for days on end without anything happening. Meanwhile, playful moods stack to such a ridonculous degree that I rarely even know what exactly made them hysterical.

@Hestia will do that too now. Completely agree.

I do hate them. It's just way too silly for me. And everytime I have a vampire use that emotion control power somebody dies 😆😆😆 I had a beloved sim die of anger and I'm like... seriously?! 😓 it was either restart and loose tons of progress or start cooking up a death cure because grim wouldn't bring him back.

And I have a hot head celebrity sim with the emotion bomb quirk who becomes enraged for no reason and has emotional meltdowns so I have to keep a close eye on him lol. I never had one die of hysteria. I try hard to keep them from bring too happy🤣🤣

Never had one die from lightening either....
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    I’m so happy that I’ve never had an emotional death in my game! I’m kind of surprised, though, because I always keep my Sims as happy as possible. If an emotional death ever does happen, you can bet I’ll be rolling back to a previous save!
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    alyssa123alyssa123 Posts: 323 Member
    edited February 2020
    i kind of wish emotional deaths were easier to achieve-- they're too hard as of now and i think they make gameplay more interesting. i also think there should be more than just 3. i will always advocate for the inclusion of more ways for sims to die. the more the merrier.

i don't really get it when people complain about their sims dying; it's a life simulator, and there can't be life without death. but that's just me. if you want to keep your sims alive forever, cool, go for it, but it's your responsibility to achieve that. if your sim gets to the point where they might die of hysteria, mortification or enragement and you don't stop them, it's kind of your fault. plus, if you're one of those players who wants to let their sims live on forever (nothing wrong with that, play how you wanna play), then utilise the saving system.

basically what i'm trying to say is that the emotional deaths are so easily avoidable. they don't just happen out of nowhere, they happen because of a build up of moodlets, moodlets the player is practically entirely responsible for. if you don't like emotional deaths, you can avoid them. simple.
    when gravity falls and the earth becomes sky, fear the beast with just one eye
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I've only had a sim die of an emotional death once, at his own wedding of hysterical laughter. I decided that I wanted to play out that sim couple so I did exit without saving. Normally though, I would just let it play out. It doesn't happen though, I guess my tendency is is to look after my sims. If they start getting extremely emotional, I calm them down or put them to sleep.

I don't judge how others play though.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    mia_noelle97mia_noelle97 Posts: 575 Member
    I don't really mind the enraged or mortified ones, because my sims almost never get that embarassed/angry, but I really hate the hysterical one. I don't want my sims to die because they're having a good time. The one hysterical death I had was the husband of one of my sims, he was just having a good time on Winterfest with his family and his alien toddler told him a joke which I think pushed him over from very playful into hysterical. I tried to save him by having him calm down in the bathroom mirror, but it was too late and he died. That's why I just turn off emotional deaths with MCCC, I don't want to have to deal with the possibility of them dying just because they have a cute toddler and a well decorated house.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    I don't really mind the enraged or mortified ones, because my sims almost never get that embarassed/angry, but I really hate the hysterical one. I don't want my sims to die because they're having a good time. The one hysterical death I had was the husband of one of my sims, he was just having a good time on Winterfest with his family and his alien toddler told him a joke which I think pushed him over from very playful into hysterical. I tried to save him by having him calm down in the bathroom mirror, but it was too late and he died. That's why I just turn off emotional deaths with MCCC, I don't want to have to deal with the possibility of them dying just because they have a cute toddler and a well decorated house.

Yes, this.

@alyssa123 I'm all for death and realism too. Dying from laughter isn't realistic however. And to me, it's just not fun. Also, no, the player isn't entirely responsible for the moodlets. Am I supposed to not do my laundry and have a party just because that makes moodlets I'm not even fond of stack so fast, I can't even get my sim to call down anymore? While I actually have to download mods to stop such stacking moodlets from destroying any kind of sadness my sim may experience? 🤔 Yeah sorry, that's not realism.
  • Options
    DaraviDaravi Posts: 1,144 Member
    When I've seen other players sim parties on YouTube, I'm frightened to do the same to my sim. So many sims are dieing when they have are good time. Is this really necessary? One group meeting I had, ended horrible, all four sims from the group (except the sim I played) died on overheating, because it was summer. No more group activities then for me. I didn't know how to help them. Later I've read that I can ask them to show me their outfits, but it feels not right, when they have group identity clothes.