Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Buff lengths never should have been so long

IMHO, anyway. I've been slowly modding the length on many a buff down to 60-120 minutes (I've done about 70 so far), leaving ones that make sense to affect a sim for a long time (cheating lovers, deaths, fire, etc). I mean really, who gets tense for 8 hours and needs a vacation for 4 hours just because they went to work again? Day in and day out? Or because your paper airplane didn't work right (what kid remembers things more than two minutes after getting out of school, unless it was traumatic). But I've shortened the positive ones, too, like doing yoga. What I've found is it changes gameplay from reaction to action. With longer buffs, the game is dictating what you do next; as in, your sim is stressed, I have to deal with that or he's not going to get anything done. They still get plenty of emotions, but most of the time I'm choosing what to do next instead of the game telling me what I need to do. And weakening positive buffs means I'm not going to do yoga every time I go to play the piano to get creative, just to get the extra skill gain, so it's less repetitive. Just overall makes for a more fun game.

Comments

• Options
    verlainemverlainem Posts: 837 Member
    Are your mods available to general public?
    EA ID burnished_dragon
  • Options
    ravynwolvfravynwolvf Posts: 1,073 Member
    verlainem wrote: »
    Are your mods available to general public?

Naw. I'd like to, but there's too much updating involved with Maxis' patches and new packs. I don't need much of that in my game because I know it and what mods I have so well and I don't worry about it til' I have a problem. But you start putting them in other people's games and now everyone's reporting errors and you're going through 30 mods trying to figure out what's wrong. And some of mine are pretty epic; not to say they are complicated, but they do have a LOT of separate changes. Like the buff length one. I respect the heck out of the modders that make their work public; lotta work.