Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Omg building is hard! Lol

Comments

• Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    edited January 2020
    Ok, I found screenshots. This was my tiny house. It's a yoga retreat that looks a bit like an interconnected yurt. I moved in a hippie-ish sim. I'm getting into a busy phase so eventually, I'll get around to playing it. I usually try to have different scenery and styles.

That was me trying to be less "boxy". Anyway, it's just a matter of what I have time for and concentrate on. I pushed myself in terms of playing around with the landscaping a bit. I'm not great at roofing and I'm sometimes lazy about decorating, but this one worked for me.

xx2Bfhc.png

fYYNz3L.png

EHK7cCV.png
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    What may help is to visit your local library and go the the section where they have books on architecture. You should find all sorts of ideas and inspiration just from the photos, and there are bound to be floor plans in at least some of the books. Learn about what has already worked and go from there. Caution, this can be addicting.
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member
    Admiral8Q wrote: »
    I've looked into this. From what I see, you can select a filter for "basic game stuff only", here:

xS33MhG.png

(I used the lightning bolt because it's way cooler than an arrow) :)

I chose toilets. So any toilets with the blue circle icon from expansions and packs are removed and I can't build them, even accidentally.

Rxv5upf.png

You can chose each pack individually or in a combination. Also with or without base game stuff.
    For "Get to Work", there is only 1 toilet available. For "City Living" there are 4 toilets. 5 if you select both packs. That's without the Base game selected, select that and you'll get all the base game toilets PLUS any toilets in packs you select on the filter.

1RcT3m5.png

Thank you, I did use the check box for base game when it appeared, it was just that for some of the build categories, there wasn't a drop down menu at all, which is weird.

I really appreciate everyone's input and encouragement (and pictures!) <3

I sort of started last year by decorating and saving a couple of rooms, one of them was part of Simarchy's Apocalypse room challenge. Starting small like that really helped me make the most use out of a small space under a topic I really liked, and allowed me to get familiar with the collections of build/buy items. I have a Witch's kitchen room that I did (pre-RoM) in someone's Salem Witch House build because the original creator of the house didn't furnish it. That was fun to decorate. I also really like to landscape-ish because there are never enough plants and trees (which I just have to have, lol) and I almost always find myself adding more and getting crazy with the greenery. It's doing the heavy work like building the shape of the house and applying roofs that I struggle with. You know, the main part, lol.

I think I'll definitely take the advice to look up some blueprints. Practicing with something to reference will help me get used to the build tools for sure. :)
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    I started three different tiny houses for the contest and wound up bulldozing them all and rage quitting. Not because of any game flaw, but due to my own ineptitude. I’ll just stick to renovating and decorating.
  • Options
    I started three different tiny houses for the contest and wound up bulldozing them all and rage quitting. Not because of any game flaw, but due to my own ineptitude. I’ll just stick to renovating and decorating.

I totally get that feeling, lol. I mean, the one I finally managed to finish is pretty simple and a little strange. But at least I've graduated from making a box with windows, lol.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,326 Member
    I have to have spacious houses with room for Sims to do things, but not be super empty, but not cluttered, either.. and I can't play in houses that literally have no room to see the Sims in their space and take pictures.

That's basically how I tend to build also. ;)

Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• Options
    edited January 2020
    In the pictures of the last one I worked on, I wanted to expend outwards as little as possible. Didn't want basements either in this house. So, built upwards. Roughly the goal was to make it as toddler&kid friendly as possible. I know there are big stairs since it has the highest ceilings, but toddlers gain movement skill on stairs. Still, toddlers can spend their whole time on the second floor now. That's why I put the writing stuff for Connie right there. The big stereo is there too playing kids music. She and anyone else on the computer can also easily socialize with the children. Only thing is that food needs to be brought up. But that's easy, you can just take a dish of meals and move it up anytime. Don't need a sim to do it.

I finally got the yard a bit built up, again mostly with children in mind. I originally put that hedge and gate up because of so many NPC's constantly walking back and forth through the yard. Even though it's a game, that made me nervous.

As for landscaping, I recently had a "Eureka" moment a few days ago. I found it very irritating before, but now I love doing it.

Now that Connie's filthy rich, I've been replacing so much of the cheaper stuff with the more expensive stuff.

Here she is!
    Connie Calhouni

Best Selling Author
    Active
    Bookworm
    Self-Assured

Currently writing "Blue Shoe, Too Shoo". A children's book about a blue shoe that wouldn't go away.
    C8GfzDA.png
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• Options
    catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    The trick to building is keep doing it. The more you do it, the more you learn, the better you get.
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    Yeah, I'm trying to graduate from building boxes too. I can definitely do those.

I built a great large and boxy house in Brindleton Bay that I actually like a lot. It's just that there's a time for boxes and then there is trying to build more than a box. Sometimes I've downloaded and I very much appreciate the builds that I added in that way. It's just that I felt myself getting lazy about building. Also, there's a feeling after you've built a space that it's definitely yours.

A few builds that I've downloaded have settled into my game or they have been lightly edited to do so (which I would never re-upload). Other times, I got the feeling that a space wasn't quite right for the game I was playing. I tore down one restaurant download even though it was pretty nice because it felt like that. I'd rather build something myself on that lot.

Anyway, I don't judge what anyone else does. Building with blueprints or plans would be interesting. I've typically built without plans by installing rooms that I need and then filling in the blanks or with some other central concept. In the build that I shared photos of above, I knew that I would build a spa retreat, that I'd try to emphasize the view and that I'd also build the porch. I figured out the rest by playing around. I'm totally cool with mixing it up and yes, I count myself as inexperienced in this version.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    JACKIEJOYJACKIEJOY Posts: 802 Member
    I have progressed to adding wings. Which is technically adding longer, skinnier boxes to the main box.
  • Options
    FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    What I do when I build is save it to my library first before uploading. That way it shows if its only base game or if there are other packs included.

If there are other packs, I go back to the house in the game and "filter" ex: GTW and click on each category (comfort, misc, appliances etc and even do the same for build mode items like windows etc.) to see if I had installed any of those items shown, then uninstall the one that shouldn't be there :D Save it to your library again and check to see if its just base game only now.

I do the same in CAS. I always save to library first till it only shows the packs I want it to have...before uploading ;)

Hope this helps :)

• Options
    What I do when I build is save it to my library first before uploading. That way it shows if its only base game or if there are other packs included.

If there are other packs, I go back to the house in the game and "filter" ex: GTW and click on each category (comfort, misc, appliances etc and even do the same for build mode items like windows etc.) to see if I had installed any of those items shown, then uninstall the one that shouldn't be there :D Save it to your library again and check to see if its just base game only now.

I do the same in CAS. I always save to library first till it only shows the packs I want it to have...before uploading ;)

Hope this helps :)

I did this but I think I was mainly checking while I was saving, which, turns out, doesn't show packs used until it's completely finished. So I'll pay attention more afterward.

I love the idea of filtering by the pack to find the item that was used, that's very helpful. 😊
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    @LiELF You are not alone, lots of us do that when first building. I love building in S4. It is a lot of fun and I like looking in my gallery seeing the builds I started and seeing how they looked better each time. I don't have many in my gallery, but its fun to see how I have progressed (still not a great builder, but happy with what I have accomplished).

I lost a lot of my beginning builds though. I didn't know back then that I needed to save them to the gallery because they wouldn't be in my library if I uninstalled the game. Lesson learned :D
  • Options
    @LiELF You are not alone, lots of us do that when first building. I love building in S4. It is a lot of fun and I like looking in my gallery seeing the builds I started and seeing how they looked better each time. I don't have many in my gallery, but its fun to see how I have progressed (still not a great builder, but happy with what I have accomplished).

I lost a lot of my beginning builds though. I didn't know back then that I needed to save them to the gallery because they wouldn't be in my library if I uninstalled the game. Lesson learned :D

Good call. I should probably upload my buildings to the online gallery.
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• Options
    edited January 2020
    We could start a secret club. BBA- Box Builders Anonymous. It could have a hashtag and no one who hasn't come in here would get it.

Edit-sprained my ankle and the mild pain med just might be making me loopy in the head.
  • Options
    JACKIEJOY wrote: »
    We could start a secret club. BBA- Box Builders Anonymous. It could have a hashtag and no one who hasn't come in here would get it.

Edit-sprained my ankle and the mild pain med just might be making me loopy in the head.

Ha! I think this is awesome! Or it could stand for "Beginning Builders Anonymous"? We can support each other as we grow and improve...or don't, lol. I'm all for it. :)
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    FinvolaFinvola Posts: 1,041 Member
    That's a great idea! I'd be up for it too! I'd love to make something other than boxes with an ugly roof slapped on at least once.
  • Options
    Ok. Wasn't sure how it would go over. Like I said , I am slightly loopy right now. So rule #1 have fun. #2 no pressure. #3 ?
  • Options
    Ok. Wasn't sure how it would go over. Like I said , I am slightly loopy right now. So rule #1 have fun. #2 no pressure. #3 ?

#3 Positive support to your fellow builders. No haters. :)
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    My internet is out but I have a couple of boxy builds at jjb1446 if you want to look. I will build for the club once Spectrum decides to fix it.
  • Options
    My internet is out but I have a couple of boxy builds at jjb1446 if you want to look. I will build for the club once Spectrum decides to fix it.

Awesome, I'll take a look. My house and a couple of rooms I did are on the Gallery at LiELF.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    @Finvola would you like to share your username on the Gallery? I'm going to follow anyone who wants to put their builds up. No obligations, if you're more comfortable sharing here or just discussing, that's fine too. :)
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    FinvolaFinvola Posts: 1,041 Member
    I've never uploaded any of my builds to the gallery, for good reason, haha. I have considered uploading my franks n' beans only restaurant, (called Rooty Tooty's) before because I find it funny, and it has a flat roof! There are a few houses I've built for my own families but they have the CC wrench on them, despite not using any CC. It's probably a photo or painting or something causing it, but if I can sort those out I'll share them too so you can see them in all their boxy awfulness, lol. I'm Kittybass on the gallery.
  • Options
    Finvola wrote: »
    I've never uploaded any of my builds to the gallery, for good reason, haha. I have considered uploading my franks n' beans only restaurant, (called Rooty Tooty's) before because I find it funny, and it has a flat roof! There are a few houses I've built for my own families but they have the CC wrench on them, despite not using any CC. It's probably a photo or painting or something causing it, but if I can sort those out I'll share them too so you can see them in all their boxy awfulness, lol. I'm Kittybass on the gallery.

Sounds good! Again, no pressure, whatever you're comfortable doing. :)
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    Still no connection so I will just babble. If there is a build mode function you like, play around with it. Playing with the glass roof is what led to my game castle. I like it and it looks neat. But it is still just boxes on top of each other. Or pick an item to build around. Like the bay window seat thingy. I have 2 builds made around those. The build function I use the most is bulldoze lot.