Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Brooms are disapointing

At least in my opinion. I'd rather be able to ride one from place to place like a bicycle, rather than straight up and straight down, point to point. And since we have Transportalate, what IS the point? If we want to just appear somewhere, we could use that. The brooms should have been more fun and to provide atmosphere.

Comments

• Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited December 2019
    I agree. They are just a different cosmetic way to teleport in TS4.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    ravynwolvfravynwolvf Posts: 1,073 Member
    They do this all the time. Instead of starting from scratch, they just take something like travelling as bats and do it the exact same way, instead of improving on it. That's why, other than some tweaks and overall being a fuller game (by selling us pack after pack), the game never gets fundamentally better, because they never try to outdo what they did before. I'm surprised my bicycle doesn't just paff me from place to place, too (and it would, if it made any kind of sense to do that).
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    I totally hated how they did brooms. That's why I'm so impressed with bikes, and it actually has complete animations!!! I don't like the teleporting, disappearing, going off into the sky, falling down somewhere else type of travel.

I forgave vampires. I think theirs look cool, especially the mist and I never get tired of the vampire fast run. But yes bats should fly like normal. And brooms greatly disappointed me!!! :'(
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    I must agree, brooms should be like bikes and not a teleport. I might actually bother using them if I could see my sims traveling round on them.
  • Options
    The only time the brooms are fun is the element of surprise. Because I've added various magic types into the game, I do see weird little things. Like I was sitting on the fountain day dreaming, and first Luna Lovegood landed right beside me, then Ron Weasly came falling down, flat on his face. So that was fun. But for my sim to use, they are fairly boring.
  • Options
    Scarlett2kScarlett2k Posts: 183 Member
    Has anyone been able to find brooms and/or wands in buy mode? I tried the bb.showhiddenobjects but couldn't find them. At Casters Alley, I find only the same two brooms for sale and I am a freakin Master. Tired of riding the mop..though I look great doing it!
  • Options
    Scarlett2k wrote: »
    Has anyone been able to find brooms and/or wands in buy mode? I tried the bb.showhiddenobjects but couldn't find them. At Casters Alley, I find only the same two brooms for sale and I am a freakin Master. Tired of riding the mop..though I look great doing it!

I just enabled cheats, then typed in bb.showhiddenobjects and went into buy mode. Type in brooms if you want to narrow the items; they're all in there then.
  • Options
    halloweenchildhalloweenchild Posts: 1,534 Member
    The brooms function exactly as they did in TS2, there was no flying animation like in TS3 (which was basically just the bicycle/car animation reskinned), it was just: sim hops on their broom, flies up into the air and then arrives at the destination via loading screen. It seems like a lot of people have forgotten this, or are too young to remember.
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
  • Options
    The brooms function exactly as they did in TS2, there was no flying animation like in TS3 (which was basically just the bicycle/car animation reskinned), it was just: sim hops on their broom, flies up into the air and then arrives at the destination via loading screen. It seems like a lot of people have forgotten this, or are too young to remember.

IMHO, games should never take steps backwards...Sims 3 might have had it flaws (especially the way it ran at times) but it was ambitious and tried to stretch how sims acted and what they could do. The Sims 4 played it very safe...and still so many things don't work right.
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    I just noticed the brooms aren’t in the Transportation category.
  • Options

Or are older but didn't play Sims 2. I didn't play any until 4, despite being in my 40s and a gamer since the internet was invented. My comparisons are always either the dollar worth in comparison to what I get in other games I still actively play, or simply, 'this is what I would hope/expect'
    I didn't see the point of brooms other than decor as we have transportalate. Had they been like bikes are, I would've used them simply for the giggle of watching my sim zoom along.
  • Options
    CelSims wrote: »

Or are older but didn't play Sims 2. I didn't play any until 4, despite being in my 40s and a gamer since the internet was invented. My comparisons are always either the dollar worth in comparison to what I get in other games I still actively play, or simply, 'this is what I would hope/expect'
    I didn't see the point of brooms other than decor as we have transportalate. Had they been like bikes are, I would've used them simply for the giggle of watching my sim zoom along.

Ok, I concede on that point, but still, I don't think brooms are all that great tbh. They don't really fit with the more modern theme of RoM. And you can tell that TS4 is not built with vehicles in mind. Though you do many an excellent point about how funny it would be to watch Spellcasters zoom around on their brooms, pathing errors and all.
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
  • Options
    ravynwolvf wrote: »

IMHO, games should never take steps backwards...Sims 3 might have had it flaws (especially the way it ran at times) but it was ambitious and tried to stretch how sims acted and what they could do. The Sims 4 played it very safe...and still so many things don't work right.

That's more of a failing with the way TS4 has been constructed, the whole design of the game went backwards. So it makes sense that brooms and bats behave this way because of the limitations the devs designed themselves into a corner with this version of the sims.
  • Options
    ravynwolvf wrote: »

That's more of a failing with the way TS4 has been constructed, the whole design of the game went backwards. So it makes sense that brooms and bats behave this way because of the limitations the devs designed themselves into a corner with this version of the sims.

Won't argue with you there. Though the fact that we have bicycles to go from place to place (clumsily, with a lot of get on-get off, get on-get off) shows that they could easily have done the same with the brooms. But hey, probably would have gotten tired of them all zipping around in a big hurry, anyway.
  • Options

Ok, I concede on that point, but still, I don't think brooms are all that great tbh. They don't really fit with the more modern theme of RoM. And you can tell that TS4 is not built with vehicles in mind. Though you do many an excellent point about how funny it would be to watch Spellcasters zoom around on their brooms, pathing errors and all.

Yep purely a smile factor with very little use. My uni student used a bike just long enough for me to see the animation. I don't see much point in vehicles either.

• Options
    CelSims wrote: »

Yep purely a smile factor with very little use. My uni student used a bike just long enough for me to see the animation. I don't see much point in vehicles either.

I find that the bikes work well in the larger suburban areas of the game, but seem horribly out of place in Britechester, granted it works on the
    Britechester campus but it's so annoying at Foxbury, because of the more modern design of the campus. XP
  • Options
    Most of my sims ended up at Foxbury. Too many stairs! Plus occults so teleport anyway :)
  • Options
    Bearpal64Bearpal64 Posts: 1,117 Member
    As I am just now playing with Vampires and Bat Form I didn't realize that brooms were just a reskin of that animation. I wouldn't say I'm bothered by brooms though. For me if they changed them to be like bikes that would be awesome but I also don't want magic to appear in the game when I don't want it. You know as a purely story based thing.