Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Please: Remove the "Idle Chat"!

Comments

• Options
    FinvolaFinvola Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited January 2020
    I gave up on bowling, it's worse than ever now. A game can take 12 hours because of the interruption but most of the time they end up glitching out and stopping the game due to the interruptions. Zero has a new mod that I'm trying out called Selective Auto Chat that stops NPCs from targeting your sim altogether. They will still talk to other NPCs and could end up in your conversation still, but so far I'm seeing a difference.
  • Options
    Bren91Bren91 Posts: 300 Member
    I agree with removing it. I mean I wouldn’t mind it every once in a while. But I’d rather see sims do other social interactions on their own besides chat. More meaningful ones. Which ever since this last update I am happy to see sims doing some of their own social interactions without me making them.
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited January 2020
    emere wrote: »
    Ok so the January 16 Patch did not fix the "Idle Chat" :|

They never seem to fix the important issues. :(

I'm not even sure they see idle chat as something that needs to be fixed. It seems more like a design choice than a bug to me.

I am grateful for the bugs they do fix but at the same time it's highly frustrating to see things repeatedly go unfixed as well with each patch. I'm still patiently waiting for the broken whims to be fixed.
    Post edited by Sharonia on
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,345 Member
    If I remember correctly townies always tried to strike up conversations with my bowling sims, but as of late that causes the players to drop out of the ongoing game.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Bowling is impossible, I used to love putting bowling alley venues in my worlds but it's not fun with the constant interruptions. Maybe I'll see if they're worth trying again with the mod in. If it's my active household bowling and nobody knows the NPCs in the venue then nobody should bother them, or so I hope. I'll check it out and see.
  • Options
    PlumbobCrossingPlumbobCrossing Posts: 8,455 Member
    Yeah I agree, it’s the worst at like restaurants having a nice family dinner and some random ugly townie comes up to your table and just cuts right in there and won’t leave. I don’t feel they need to remove it just improve it so it’s not so overbearing.
  • Options
    charlesbergcharlesberg Posts: 88 Member
    I can't express how much this irks me, it's also nice to finally have a name for it. I can understand maybe a new friend walking by and deciding to pop over for a chat, but four sims who have had no interaction at all with my sim, gets on my nerves.
    Signature here. No here. Never-mind.
  • Options
    APottsAPotts Posts: 2,448 Member
    I use mccc to make annoying Sims leave, and the moment I have a chance I go into the neighborhood screen and delete them.

Serves them right for being annoying.
  • Options
    randy2355randy2355 Posts: 157 Member
    Has anyone else, been having problems with it on their home lot, like me? My sims are in the "Chieftain Villa" lot in Sulani, and sims will come from the otherside of the neighborhood (and its a big one) to "idle chat" with my sims. even if they are inside their house. I tried locking the door for only household members, I hope it works. Even if it keeps them out of the house, my sims can't go out into the yard! this Idle chat thing has to go...not be toned down... gone! It is the most frustrating thing since I stepped in dog doo with my bare feet, at my friends Christmas party last month....No its worse than that!
  • Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    The problem is, they don’t see certain issues (this and situation outfits) as issues at all.
  • Options
    ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member
    Oh is that what this feature is called. A total stranger interrupted my Sims wedding last week. She just showed up in jeans and started chatting up the bride in her wedding dress. I couldn't make her leave, because it was in the wedding park lot in San Myshuno. And she wandered around chatting up all my guests and eating all the food lol. If she just wore a dress or something it wouldn't have been so bad lol.

I didn't realize that you don't actually become acquainted with them though. That must be why I sometimes can't find a Sim to call if I met them on a lot and I guess they chatted to me and I never introduced myself?

In general, I do like that Sims come up to your Sims though, I just think it needs a little fine-tuning. I wish it could be restricted to Sims who are the same age so child Sims or Teen Sims get in their own little chat circles. Or you should be able to turn the feature off sometimes. I wish you could remove people out of group chats if you don't want them in the chat circle, is this possible?
  • Options
    randy2355 wrote: »
    Has anyone else, been having problems with it on their home lot, like me? My sims are in the "Chieftain Villa" lot in Sulani, and sims will come from the otherside of the neighborhood (and its a big one) to "idle chat" with my sims. even if they are inside their house. I tried locking the door for only household members, I hope it works. Even if it keeps them out of the house, my sims can't go out into the yard! this Idle chat thing has to go...not be toned down... gone! It is the most frustrating thing since I stepped in dog doo with my bare feet, at my friends Christmas party last month....No its worse than that!

I do notice that I get more visitors in Sulani then in other neighbourhoods. Have you tried adding the Private Dwelling lot trait? That should stop visitors from coming to your lot.
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    I understand what they were "trying" to do. I believe they wanted sulani to feel like a real village island type of setting. My grandmother's village was like this. The neighbors were more like family, everyone even strangers chatting eachother up. And the overall atmosphere is so friendly.

But it just doesn't work out in the sims. It's more like just get outta my space I'm trying to do something here 😩😩😩 this to me feels more intrusive than the vampire break ins 😏
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    I understand what they were "trying" to do. I believe they wanted sulani to feel like a real village island type of setting. My grandmother's village was like this. The neighbors were more like family, everyone even strangers chatting eachother up. And the overall atmosphere is so friendly.

But it just doesn't work out in the sims. It's more like just get outta my space I'm trying to do something here 😩😩😩 this to me feels more intrusive than the vampire break ins 😏

Your vampires break into your houses? I'm a little jealous of that actually lol, I love the vampires pack, but mine only stand at the door all night, I tried to put a cowplant near the door to see if it would eat some of the vampires, but no luck so far ...

• Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    elliendre wrote: »

Your vampires break into your houses? I'm a little jealous of that actually lol, I love the vampires pack, but mine only stand at the door all night, I tried to put a cowplant near the door to see if it would eat some of the vampires, but no luck so far ...

Nope. Ever since it was nerfed I've never had a break in, just a few standing at the door but that's it.😭😭😭😭

That's why I said idle chat seems to be more invasive than vampires 🤣🤣🤣
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    Bearpal64Bearpal64 Posts: 1,117 Member
    I remember I used to have Vampire break ins all the time. My one poor Astronaut she got bitten so many times.

But now I'm lucky if they do anything vampire like. Most of them stand at the door. Hiss and maybe MAYBE turn into a bat.

Idle chat is way more invasive hahaha xD
  • Options
    They only knock and wait outside the door for me too. I haven't had an invasion in I don't know how long. At least a year or more.
  • Options
    I didn't even know they changed that. Oh that's too bad, wouldn't have just some garlic on the door or locking it have stopped it if you didn't want it to happen? Now I wish they would put it back because I never even got to see it. :'( Or at least make it happen if say you research Vampires to a certain level, then the game would know you want some vampires breaking in, just saying. If Caleb shows up, I let him in to chat because he's my favourite one, but if any of the townie vampires show up I want to be able to throw garlic at them, bait them to my cowplant, fight them, maybe call a vampire slayer to protect my Sim >:)
  • Options
    DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    I'm pretty sure it does happen, or is much more likely to, if someone in the house researches vampire lore. But everyone has to be asleep when they show up or they won't come in.
  • Options
    Thanks @Daephene I will try that
  • Options
    Kita5399Kita5399 Posts: 2,112 Member
    Daephene wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure it does happen, or is much more likely to, if someone in the house researches vampire lore. But everyone has to be asleep when they show up or they won't come in.
    This and I think I read once that pets count as someone awake in the house.
    On topic of idle chat.. I don’t mind it too much, but I do wish it built a relationship at least. I do use many of the mods mentioned here, so I’m sure that’s why I’m not bothered much. I feel bad for those that want to play the game as is, I know I’d be too annoyed by a bunch of things if I played a vanilla game.
  • Options
    lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,098 Member
    edited January 2020
    randy2355 wrote: »

Yes. Every single time my Sim was outside her house, some random lady was trying to talk to her. At least once she wanted to argue, and it was someone I'd never met before. One day I actually had my Sim wait for a little bit to give the lady a chance instead of just canceling it. She didn't come right away, so I started looking around the island for her. She was somewhere on the other side. After it happened a couple more days, my Sim moved. Since leaving Sulani, it hasn't happened again. Now it's back to only being an issue on community lots.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • Options
    NylaliaNylalia Posts: 64 Member
    I get creeped out when one of my child Sims wanders out into the street to chat with some random grownup townie. Never for random CHILD townies. No - must be a random grownup.
  • Options
    ravynwolvfravynwolvf Posts: 1,073 Member
    edited January 2020
    You can also get rid of idle chat if you are using Scumbumbo's SCAM (Self configuring autonomy mod) by turning the autonomy off on it.

But honestly, idle chat doesn't seem entirely like what people here are talking about fixing. Idle chat is the empty babble in between actual social interactions that does nothing for relationship (it's called that in the game programming). It's like the pauses between bites of food. What getting rid of the idle chat does is make sims only use real interactions with no empty chatter in between. That won't change sims approaching you, just what they do WHEN they approach you, so it won't start with idle chat but with a real interaction. Which is usually an introduction social if they don't know you, since they need that first before they can use others.

The problem lies more in the queue itself, I think. The interaction the new sim wants to do with you doesn't always show up right away so you can't cancel it, especially if you are already talking to another sim. Which means the only way you can get rid of the far away sim that is making your sim just stand and wait is to cancel the conversation you're already in. If there's anything they need to do, it's to cut down on the distance a sim can try and interact with you from, and to make the little picture on the top where it shows who are you interacting with clickable, so you can just boot them out.

Another thing you can do is to turn off autonomy (with a mod) on introductions (along with nuking idle chat), if you don't want sims you don't know interacting with you. They will still come up and talk to the person you are talking to if they know THEM, but they will leave you alone.
    Post edited by ravynwolvf on
  • Options
    DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    Idle chat isn't bad for background sims. I'd rather they not stand around and ignore each other.

But active sims should not be subject to the whims of background sims. And altogether it seems like it's more common these days for actions in the queue to get dumped for no apparent reason. It drives me crazy in conversation when I had to go multiple layers deep to choose a conversation option and they just cancel it and go clean up the dishes or something. I'm supposed to be controlling my sim. I don't want autonomy off, because then they do nothing in large households when I can't micromanage everyone at once, but I really want them to stop cancelling out my commands for an autonomous whim (either their own or that of someone who wants to chat with them).