Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can I run the game smoothly?

gemjasgemjas Posts: 211 Member
Okay, I’m sorry in advance for these really stupid questions, but:

I recently got a new computer that’s specifically for gaming. My old computer ran Sims 4 fine, but it lagged a bit. And I could never even dream of playing the Sims 3 on it. Now, with my new computer, the Sims 4 runs like a dream. I never knew the game could be so smooth! But I’m starting to really miss the Sims 3, since Sims 4 still feels so empty.

However, with the laptop I used to play Sims 3 on, the game eventually became unplayable (I’m not sure why; I guess it was too many mods). I would tell a sim to do something and it took 3-4 real world minutes for them to do it. It was a nightmare.

My questions are: with this new computer, can I play the game as smooth as the Sims 4 with all the expansions + mods (I would like to manage at least 20GB of CC, which is how much CC I have for Sims 4)? And can I have Sims 3 and 4 installed at the same time and not experience lag? I’ve calculated how much GB both Sims games will take up (including CC) in addition to some other large games I’ve bought, and I’ll only have about 140 GB free if I install them all. Is that enough free space?

Or is the lag more of a built-in feature of the game, lol? I know people complain about Sims 3, but I could never determine how bad it really was, since my lag was mostly the result of having a bad computer.

Anyway, my specs are:

Processor: Intel Core i7-9750h CPU @ 2.60GHz
RAM: 16GB (2x8GB)
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660Ti (6GB)

Also, side note, I know very little about computers. So sorry, again, if the answers to these questions are really obvious. I'm just not sure.

Comments

• Options
    puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    edited December 2019
    These aren't stupid questions at all, especially when you have such a nice new system that you'd like to last for a while. It's always better to ask for a second or third opinion, even if you're reasonably sure of the answers. Speaking of which:

The hardware you listed should be able to run TS3 (all packs included, plus plenty of cc) as well as any system out there, with the usual caveat that having water and high detail lots maxed out takes more resources than the game engine itself can spare. (I keep those at "mirrors only" and 2, respectively.) All the other settings can be maxed out.

Having 20 GB of cc is going to make CAS and Build/Buy load slowly on any system, just because of how TS3 is programmed. If you have different collections for different saves, you might consider keeping those saves and their particular cc in separate game folders, just so the game doesn't have to load everything on each trip to CAS. Swapping out game folders is as easy as renaming them or dragging and dropping.

Having TS3 and TS4 installed at the same time doesn't affect how either game runs as long as you have enough free storage on the drive(s) where they and Windows are installed. 140 GB is far more than you need to keep free; you'd be fine with 40.

Some of the reasons TS3 can lag have nothing to do with hardware. For example, playing in an overly complicated world (too large, too heavily populated, too many objects) can do it, as can playing in an unfixed Isla Paradiso or another world that's poorly made. The solution is to fix broken worlds—here's an example of a fixed IP—and to avoid the ones that can't be run properly.

Bad custom content can also cause lag, for example when sims try to change into outfits that contain it. Just be careful what you download: read up on it first, ask others if they've used it, or test it out in a clean folder.

There are other aspects of the game that will cause lag if not controlled. Since you use cc, you might like to add a few NRaas mods as well. The usual collection to improve game performance is ErrorTrap, Overwatch, MasterController, Traveler, Register, and Traffic, although others are great for the elements they add to gameplay. If you're not familiar, they, and an active set of discussion boards, can be found here:

https://www.nraas.net/community/home

(You can also ask about NRaas mods on this forum—a lot of players here have been using them for years.)

Finally, and most importantly of all, you'll want to manually limit fps while you play. Aside from helping to prevent graphics glitches and delays in rendering, it's necessary for the health of your card. An Nvidia 1660 ti will generate framerates into the hundreds if not capped and work itself unnecessarily hard for no reason.

TS3's own fps limiter is useless, so you'll need a third-party app. For Nvidia cards, the usual first tool to try is the built-in Control Panel. But it doesn't always work, and it never works in windowed mode, so Nvidia Inspector (free download) is the next step. Here's an explanation for how to set up each tool:

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/16540301/#Comment_16540301

RivaTuner Statistics Server also works, in fullscreen or windowed mode, although unlike the others, it does have to be running while you play. In any case, you can see how the fps limiter is doing by bringing up the cheats console (crtl-shift-C) and entering "fps on" without quotes. A number will appear in the upper right corner of your screen, and it should never go above the refresh rate of your screen. ("fps off" makes it go away.)

It should be noted that if you try to run RTSS or MSI Afterburner alongside TS4, the game may crash while loading. Just turn it off while you play that game, and back on for TS3.

And of course more questions are always fine, and never stupid.
    Post edited by puzzlezaddict on
  • Options
    gemjasgemjas Posts: 211 Member
    @puzzlezaddict Oh, wow thank you so much! Your reply answered all of my questions. I was so worried about over doing it on this new computer by having both Sims + mountains of CC + other games. Now, I feel more comfortable finally redownloading the game after so many years.

Also, the links and tips were extremely helpful! I never thought about separating CC based on saves. I go a little crazy when CC shopping, so I’ll be more mindful with what I download now.

I also never knew about the FPS stuff. I just need to clarify something, if that's okay. Should I set the cap to 60 FPS or higher? The link you posted said the number should reflect my computer's refresh rate. My computer has 144Hz (which, I think has to do with FPS, lol?). Should I cap it at 144, then? Or will making it 60 make the game run better, either way?
  • Options
    puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    edited December 2019
    Yes, your monitor's refresh rate is the rate at which it can transition from the previous image (frame) to the new one, measured in Hertz (rate per second). So frames per second and Hz are the measuring the same thing. There's no point in having fps is higher than the monitor can display, since you'll never see it, so your graphics card would be working to produce those extra frames with no benefit to you.

But there's nothing wrong with lowering fps below what your card can handle. Many people notice a subtle difference between 60 fps and something higher, although other people don't. So it's really up to you whether capping your framerates at 144 is worth it. You can try that and 60, and also 72 (half the monitor's refresh rate works well, but I'm guessing it also supports 60 Hz, as most monitors do), and see whether you like the way the game looks at the higher rates. A 1660 ti can easily handle running TS3 at 144 Hz at a resolution of 1920x1080, but there's no reason to have it that high if you can't tell the difference.

As to whether the game itself will run better... probably not, or not by much, as long as your laptop itself isn't overheating. (At higher temperatures, your hardware will throttle performance a bit to protect itself, but this shouldn't be a concern for you, given your specs. Still, if you'd like to download an app or two to keep an eye on temps, let me know.) TS3 is so poorly optimized that you'll see fps drop into the 20s or even lower on some lots, especially those with many objects and/or visual effects (think of World Adventures tombs), no matter how powerful your card is. But that's the game itself not performing well and has nothing to do with your system settings. Most of the time, it runs beautifully with high framerates. Still, you can always play around with the settings if you think performance could be better. The important thing is that as long as fps is capped no higher than 144, your card will be fine, and you can focus on playing.
  • Options
    Just_Gone_SimminJust_Gone_Simmin Posts: 1 New Member
    Hi I ordered this on Black Friday and I'm going to open this on Christmas It's the "Acer Laptop Aspire 5 A515-54G-70TZ Intel Core i7 8th Gen 8565U (1.80 GHz) 8 GB Memory 512 GB SSD NVIDIA GeForce MX250 15.6" Windows 10 Home 64-bit" (it's a quad core CPU)

https://www.newegg.com/charcoal-black-acer-aspire-5-a515-54g-70tz-mainstream/p/N82E16834316759?Item=N82E16834316759&Description=acer%20aspire%205&cm_re=acer_aspire_5-_-34-316-759-_-Product

Is this good for the sims 3 and most expansion packs including island paradise?

Will not freeze, lag nor crash?

Can I max the graphics settings with it and still run good?

Thanks, Justin.
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    @Just_Gone_Simmin - The processor on that one is a little iffy because it is U-series, designed to conserve power (electricity/battery) not play games where it needs to be ramped up to higher speeds than its native 1.8 GHz continuously. Its true weak spot though is its graphics card - that's a pretty low level card and not really meant for graphics intensive games. Player experiences vary on hardware that just misses the target specs, but I would say that you might be able to run the entire game on it to some extent, though possibly the heaviest hitting EPs (Pets, Seasons, maybe IP and ITF) might be too much for it. Graphics settings all on high might not be realistic on it.

It should be noted that although IP typically gets ranked as 3 or 4 out of the 11 EPs on performance hits, the Isla Paradiso world itself needs to be fixed up before it becomes playable on just about any system. The world is design-flawed, and much of the poor reputation that EP gets is due to just that, not necessarily the impact the EP has when playing a world without the design issues.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net