Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Paying bills in University

Phantasi33Phantasi33 Posts: 181 Member
So some issues I'm already seeing with the new pack from watching the early access videos, is when you click a mailbox there's an option to pay bills. Why does a sim need to pay bills while living in university housing? Another thing I saw that your roommates income is added into your household. Once again, why is a sim able to collect from their roommates to cover the cost of bills. It makes sense on a residential lot but not university housing. The utilities bills should be the responsibility of the university not my sim. This is my first time ever playing university in any sim's title so forgive me if I get something wrong or if I'm unaware of something.

Comments

• Options
    bandit5bandit5 Posts: 919 Member
    in sims 2 you had too pay bills at university
  • Options
    bandit5 wrote: »
    in sims 2 you had too pay bills at university

Why though? This is my first time playing university in any sims title and that just doesn't make sense to me. The sim's tuition and books etc is already paid for before they move into the dorms, so what extra cost is there to pay for? What "bills" is my sim supposed to be responsible for living in university housing that should be funded by the university?
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    Usually when you move into university housing in real life you have to pay bills of some kind.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    muzickmagemuzickmage Posts: 986 Member
    @Mariefoxprice83

That's not exactly true, or rather, not accurately explained. Any bills a student is responsible for, in respect to university housing, is factored into the housing expense and charged to the student at the beginning of the term, or year. The university doesn't send someone to your dorm door every Friday with a hydro bill in their hand looking for more money from the student.
  • Options
    Freckles1971Freckles1971 Posts: 507 Member
    Phantasi33 wrote: »
    So some issues I'm already seeing with the new pack from watching the early access videos, is when you click a mailbox there's an option to pay bills. Why does a sim need to pay bills while living in university housing? Another thing I saw that your roommates income is added into your household. Once again, why is a sim able to collect from their roommates to cover the cost of bills. It makes sense on a residential lot but not university housing. The utilities bills should be the responsibility of the university not my sim. This is my first time ever playing university in any sim's title so forgive me if I get something wrong or if I'm unaware of something.

Did they not say on the live stream that there are info points outside the dorms,maybe that's how you can pay for your bills? Or maybe that's just for outside your dorms,I assume it will be different for a shared house off campus? Like a normal house that you pay bills for.
  • Options
    muzickmage wrote: »
    @Mariefoxprice83

That's not exactly true, or rather, not accurately explained. Any bills a student is responsible for, in respect to university housing, is factored into the housing expense and charged to the student at the beginning of the term, or year. The university doesn't send someone to your dorm door every Friday with a hydro bill in their hand looking for more money from the student.

Oh I know that. But this is presumably the game's way of handling it. You have to pay for TV licences and food as a student, also personal expenditure such as clothing (which is free in the game unless you are using retail lots) and leisure activities. I guess it doesn't bother me.
  • Options
    Phantasi33 wrote: »

Did they not say on the live stream that there are info points outside the dorms,maybe that's how you can pay for your bills? Or maybe that's just for outside your dorms,I assume it will be different for a shared house off campus? Like a normal house that you pay bills for.

The info kiosks you're talking about did not mention bills. I think the Gurus should have made this clear in the livestream and explained why paying bills is a thing while living in university housing.
  • Options
    AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    I wonder if it’s because they didn’t want to bother coding the roommate system to be different on university housing vs residential lots. Because that’s super weird to have bills on campus, I didn’t even have bills in off campus housing when I went....
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• Options
    SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    Was the option to pay bills on a University Housing lot (penthouse or otherwise)? And did the Sim have student loans taken out?
    As for the roommates, were they NPC roomies or household roommates?

If you live off-campus you'll have bills. I'm guessing that if you take out a loan, you'll have the "bills" option where you can start paying off before you graduate.

The NPC's household funds shouldn't be added to your Sim's funds but if you move into dorms where Sims already live (which a lot of the Sims Camp videos had), they'll be added to your household & their funds merged because they're not the same as NPC roommates.
  • Options
    ChellsimsChellsims Posts: 3 New Member
    I’ve just played my first week at Uni (living in the Drake Hall dorm in Britechester) and I was shocked to see I had to pay $5,114 for bills!!
    I couldn’t afford this, my roommates didn’t give me a penny and the power ended up being shut off. I had to cheat in the end, which I hate doing.
    I know the bills in TS4 are normally expensive anyway, but I feel like this isn’t right for living in a dorm at Uni... does anyone know if this is by design or if it’s a bug?
  • Options
    Chellsims wrote: »
    I’ve just played my first week at Uni (living in the Drake Hall dorm in Britechester) and I was shocked to see I had to pay $5,114 for bills!!
    I couldn’t afford this, my roommates didn’t give me a penny and the power ended up being shut off. I had to cheat in the end, which I hate doing.
    I know the bills in TS4 are normally expensive anyway, but I feel like this isn’t right for living in a dorm at Uni... does anyone know if this is by design or if it’s a bug?

I honestly think it's by design. Utilities should be covered by the university. My sim is living on the edge of broke and I would hate to think what would happen when the bills rolled in and my sim couldn't afford to pay it. If I wanted my sim to be responsible for bills I would have her live on a residential lot. Hopefully a mod comes out to fix this.
  • Options
    LumiastaLumiasta Posts: 171 Member
    I had the same thing happening at Drake Hall, got 3000 in bills. Was a bit of a surprise. I'm playing siblings in that dorm, so the household has two sims, and both of them have a part time job in addition to full class schedule. The electricity went off before they got part time job promotions and could pay the bills with that money, but I really don't think this is how it should be in the dorms. Surely maintenance and utilities should be included in the base dorm payment?

Would be nice to hear from the gurus if this is intended, or if we should start filing bug reports.
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited November 2019
    Weird. I never saw an option to pay bills. All I did was make payments on the loan, and that's a seperate interaction.
  • Options
    Momosomo18Momosomo18 Posts: 1 New Member
    I'm actually unable to pay my bills for some reason and now my power is going to be shut off... I don't know how to fix it.
  • Options
    simm621simm621 Posts: 1,037 Member
    I was getting a message every Monday that mail had come but there was nothing in the mailbox, the flag wasn't even up. I just assumed it was still coded for the messages. I never got power shut off. Once I had to pay 3,000 in bills at one of the dorms but I think that was because I had auto bills from mccc. I turned that off and I didn't have to pay again.
    Gallery ID: wiccanwonder
  • Options
    popstarsleypopstarsley Posts: 1,086 Member
    edited November 2019
    I never received any mail or bills playing a dorm at Uni. Maybe it’s a mod conflict?
  • Options
    I had bills in my very first term but none since.
  • Options
    AndiratymeAndiratyme Posts: 728 Member
    I lived in the dorms for all of my terms and never had to pay bills at all.
  • Options
    verlainemverlainem Posts: 837 Member
    Where are the mail boxes for the dorms?
    EA ID burnished_dragon
  • Options
    alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    I never had to pay bills at all. Only option I had was to pay some of the student loan if I wanted to.
  • Options
    KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,383 Member
    I get the sound and pop up that I have mail every Monday, but when I check the mail box in dorm there is no mail.
  • Options
    I never received any mail or bills playing a dorm at Uni. Maybe it’s a mod conflict?

I've been playing my game a bit since the release and so far I hadn't seen any options to pay bills. Maybe it was a fluke in that one video I saw.
  • Options
    Kimmer wrote: »
    I get the sound and pop up that I have mail every Monday, but when I check the mail box in dorm there is no mail.

Well that's good. Maybe it was just a fluke.
  • Options
    LumiastaLumiasta Posts: 171 Member
    It's definitely not intended, so must be a bug. There's a bug report on it here: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/NEEDS-INPUT-DU-Paying-bills-in-dorms/td-p/8437976

If you've had to pay bills while living in the dorms, that's the spot to go to and comment about it, might help them solving it.
  • Options
    tegteg87tegteg87 Posts: 305 Member
    It's 100% a bug - I didn't have it with my first sim at uni but did with the 2nd, the power got cut off. Fortunately it was the end of term so he moved back home straight away.