Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

TS4 is good again!

It feels like a good time to return to TS4. Almost all of the issues I previously had were fixed. I've been playing TS4 for a few days, and it never crashed, no freezes for sims, no performance issue, no issues at all. On top of that, they even added UI scaling! I can finally play the game on 4k with everything looking so crisp and sharp. What a pleasant surprise!!

Comments

• Options
    Vanesa1118Vanesa1118 Posts: 38 Member
    I like everything they added in todays patch, but I honestly expected MORE. Like something more game changing - like a update on school or adding new traits. Its cute what they did with kids and toddlers but they need more than just new one piece of clothing, a new traits and aspirations.
  • Options
    KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    edited November 2019
    For me, not yet.
    Edit: Actually, how can something that has never been good, become good AGAIN?! Sims 4 has never achieved the height the others did.
    I like most of the stuff in Sims 4, but they are forgetting to update the most basic things like emotions and traits/personality.
    Post edited by Karon on
  • Options
    alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    That was quite a hefty list of bug fixes so a ton of people should be happy!
  • Options
    TheIntrovertSimmerTheIntrovertSimmer Posts: 641 Member
    y'all got bread?
  • Options
    WallSims4everWallSims4ever Posts: 755 Member
    This has been a great year for The Sims, I have to say. I'm really excited about the game again. BUT it will only be really good when they add more traits and relevant aspirations.
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    So far this patch looks great, will have to wait a bit in order to update mods and CC but I am looking forward to seeing this in my game. Very happy simmer at the moment.
  • Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    edited November 2019
    Nindigo wrote: »
    Why are some of you so focused on what we don't have instead of appreciating what we after all do have in Sims 4? And also, if the game seems so lacking to you, why do you keep playing it and dwell on the negativity? I'm not sure I understand this at all. I can personally only take so much dissatisfaction with a game before abandoning it, as I don't want to waste time on something I don't enjoy :/

I’d imagine it’s because TS4 is the only game of its kind. The only option for the people who have enjoyed Sims games in the past (or who like the “idea” of Sims games) is to hang around and hope for the best. There are no greener pastures here. And this is especially true of Sims fans who often don’t play other games.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,877 Member
    It has always been good for me. Really excited for University, the community stuff pack and just oh so curious about the next expansion now that the traditional packs are out of the way.
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member
    edited November 2019
    So_Money wrote: »
    Why are some of you so focused on what we don't have instead of appreciating what we after all do have in Sims 4? And also, if the game seems so lacking to you, why do you keep playing it and dwell on the negativity? I'm not sure I understand this at all. I can personally only take so much dissatisfaction with a game before abandoning it, as I don't want to waste time on something I don't enjoy :/

I’d imagine it’s because TS4 is the only game of its kind. The only option for the people who have enjoyed Sims games in the past (or who like the “idea” of Sims games) is to hang around and hope for the best. There are no greener pastures here. And this is especially true of Sims fans who often don’t play other games.

This is true to a certain extent. But I'm also someone who doesn't play other games. I have slowed down on playing TS4. I used to buy the new packs the day they come out, but not anymore recently. I just find other hobbies to do that aren't gaming. And for other people, they could also play the previous iterations of The Sims if they wish to do so, or find other hobbies instead of complaining about TS4 but still buying the packs in hopes or playing the game that it will get better.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,429 Member
    I was expecting a new feature, something more than pulling up columns. But people have been asking for fixes for so long, I think it is good they were finally heard. I think it was either fixes or one new big feature. The list of fixes is really long.
    But I am really happy that my spellcaster can finally sell potions.
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    I am happy that they finally fixed some very, very old glitches.
    I did wish that they would also include fixing the occult eyes for spellcasters. Did they forgot that?
    Oh well it is what it is.
  • Options
    NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    BUT it will only be really good when they add more traits and relevant aspirations.

You could try out KawaiiStacie's mods. Just google the name.

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• Options
    edited November 2019
    Vanesa1118 wrote: »
    I like everything they added in todays patch, but I honestly expected MORE. Like something more game changing - like a update on school or adding new traits. Its cute what they did with kids and toddlers but they need more than just new one piece of clothing, a new traits and aspirations.

Perhaps you could lower your expectations then, as something will always be missing for some of us. If I were you, I'd do that as it will save you a lot of disappointment and negativity. It will just eat away at you. Constructive feedback in the feedback section of the forums is probably a better way to convey appropriately what we would like to see in the game. I don't believe additional traits and aspirations have been discussed until recently and sporadically. And so, the Devs likely won't pick up the significance it holds to some you.

• Options
    HoveraelHoverael Posts: 1,230 Member
    So_Money wrote: »

Quite regularly i see these types of comments where EA games show so much potential and users get frustrated by the lack of progress in exploring that potential. TS4 could be so much more and there are so many mods out there to prove that potential, but EA doesn't do their own game the justice it deserves where a lot more resources could be poured into it and efforts made to expand the game out a lot more than small DLC packs.

TS4 scratches a particular itch in gamers due to its engaging creativity on building sim households, lots, stories and so on. But you got previous sims games which often users post about features that existed in those that could be great in TS4. If that is true, TS4 is a long way from being perfectly playable.

Is TS4 good again? That is a point of view that is endlessly debatable, it will always be endlessly debatable. it doesn't matter how negative or positive the outlook, there is always going to be something someone likes and another person dislikes. developers usually have that thankless job of putting all their efforts into it and not getting much in return as far as thanks is concerned. But being overly generous could be seen as doing the job even though it is only small content uploads at such prices, but ironically that is a negative being taken as a positive, because you want them going out putting in a lot more effort and a lot more content to their packs to make it worth while.
    Vanesa1118 wrote: »

Perhaps you could lower your expectations then, as something will always be missing for some of us. If I were you, I'd do that as it will save you a lot of disappointment and negativity. It will just eat away at you. Constructive feedback in the feedback section of the forums is probably a better way to convey appropriately what we would like to see in the game. I don't believe additional traits and aspirations have been discussed until recently and sporadically. And so, the Devs likely won't pick up the significance it holds to some you.

Asking others to lower their expectation isn't really a positive, as it is like saying the developers didn't do their jobs after all and should kept it to a higher standard. However the flip side is that one can have such a lofty expectation that the developers could never hope to match. Either way it isn't really constructive.

this game does have a serious lack of traits and aspirations. and as it stands, these aren't fit for purpose as they don't properly convey what it is to be a person in that frame of mind, but that is also related to the way sims behave which goes into autonomy controls. the current situation with autonomy controls are throughly awful to say the least. again it is endlessly debatable what the current state of TS4 is.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    edited November 2019
    As the Legacy Edition is now available on Origin to download you could probably play that now and put as many mods as you want in as long, as they still support the game, as there won't be any updates for that. Sims 4 could develop into two entirely different games!

• Options
    edited November 2019
    Simburian wrote: »
    As the Legacy Edition is now available on Origin to download you could probably play that now and put as many mods as you want in as long, as they still support the game, as there won't be any updates for that. Sims 4 could develop into two entirely different games!

i'm almost certain there will be voices that would like fixes that come to the standard game get fixes there as well. for example Vampires are in a state where they don't do what they should be doing as they got nerfed. so if that is in the legacy version, it is only appropriate that when a fix comes to get those vampires to occasionally drink from random sims after the occasional break in, there should be something specifically for that and that alone on the legacy version, it can be made a stealth fix without ever needing a patch notes.
  • Options
    Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member

Interesting point. I did not think about that possibility. But you are correct. 32bit players now have the freedom to add as many mods as they like because there won't be any updates for those players in the future. I wonder if the modders will leave the older, now outdated, mods up on their sites after this? If not, I hope everyone kept a copy of their Zip and Rar files should they experience a major PC meltdown, and need to install the game again. Your idea makes me want to drag out one of my old laptops just to test your theory. You definitely gave me a new perspective on this. Thank you! :)
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    Hoverael wrote: »

i'm almost certain there will be voices that would like fixes that come to the standard game get fixes there as well. for example Vampires are in a state where they don't do what they should be doing as they got nerfed. so if that is in the legacy version, it is only appropriate that when a fix comes to get those vampires to occasionally drink from random sims after the occasional break in, there should be something specifically for that and that alone on the legacy version, it can be made a stealth fix without ever needing a patch notes.

I don't know... They've said repeatedly that the legacy edition won't get any further updates. I wouldn't hold my breath.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    I'd love to be able to download both versions and able to play them both. Then I could try out the mods I've been avoiding so far on the Legacy one.
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    I'd love to be able to download both versions and able to play them both. Then I could try out the mods I've been avoiding so far on the Legacy one.

Maybe you can? But I'm assuming you can't have both installed at the same time. You'd probably have to alternate.
  • Options
    WallSims4everWallSims4ever Posts: 755 Member
    BUT it will only be really good when they add more traits and relevant aspirations.

You could try out KawaiiStacie's mods. Just google the name.

I don't use mods, but thanks.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    IceyJ wrote: »

Maybe you can? But I'm assuming you can't have both installed at the same time. You'd probably have to alternate.

from the impression i got from the FAQ, you can install both, but you can't play both at the same time, so yes, you'll have to decide which one you want to play by selecting it in the advanced launcher setting on origin.
  • Options
    Hoverael wrote:
    Asking others to lower their expectation isn't really a positive, as it is like saying the developers didn't do their jobs after all and should kept it to a higher standard.
    Lowering expectations is perhaps the more realistic choice. And as for saying that developers didn't do their job and that it should keep to a higher standard - isn't that actually what all the complaining is doing?
    Hoverael wrote:
    However the flip side is that one can have such a lofty expectation that the developers could never hope to match. Either way it isn't really constructive.
    Actually, it is. To be realistic about what to expect is not a bad thing.
    Hoverael wrote:
    ...this game does have a serious lack of traits and aspirations. and as it stands, these aren't fit for purpose as they don't properly convey what it is to be a person in that frame of mind, but that is also related to the way sims behave which goes into autonomy controls. the current situation with autonomy controls are throughly awful to say the least. again it is endlessly debatable what the current state of TS4 is.
    I feel your statement is based on your opinion and not a fact. Also, debating can be a very good thing and enlightening if done well :)

• Options
    Hoverael wrote:
    Asking others to lower their expectation isn't really a positive, as it is like saying the developers didn't do their jobs after all and should kept it to a higher standard.
    Lowering expectations is perhaps the more realistic choice. And as for saying that developers didn't do their job and that it should keep to a higher standard - isn't that actually what all the complaining is doing?
    Hoverael wrote:
    However the flip side is that one can have such a lofty expectation that the developers could never hope to match. Either way it isn't really constructive.
    Actually, it is. To be realistic about what to expect is not a bad thing.
    Hoverael wrote:
    ...this game does have a serious lack of traits and aspirations. and as it stands, these aren't fit for purpose as they don't properly convey what it is to be a person in that frame of mind, but that is also related to the way sims behave which goes into autonomy controls. the current situation with autonomy controls are throughly awful to say the least. again it is endlessly debatable what the current state of TS4 is.
    I feel your statement is based on your opinion and not a fact. Also, debating can be a very good thing and enlightening if done well :)

hmm it seems a few on my comments today have been questionable. i'm gonna take some time to consider this and on another thread in the game mods section, a few days out are in order. i did say the past few days i've been in a strange mood. So clearly i'm not thinking right at this point.