Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Superheroes/Supervillains/Secret Identities (Pack Idea)

jadonbakesjadonbakes Posts: 294 Member
edited September 2019 in The Sims 4 Ideas Corner
The Sims 4 Get Super Superhero Expansion Pack

New "Occult" Type: Supersim (you don't assign good/bad/antihero, but that comes out in your gameplay style). Choose everyday looks, then switch to Super Form to customize their heroic or villainous identities. (New masks, new super suits, new chest logos, new gloves, new boots). These super forms are SECRET, so don't get caught.

New active career: Supersim (hero and villain tracks perhaps). Work your way up the ranks to the ultimate goals. Fight your enemies. Solve (or commit) crimes. Get rewards like secret lair swag.

Become a supersim by getting bitten by a radioactive llama (lol maybe not a llama), but there should definitely be a way for existing sims to become superheroes/villains

Not sure if the pack would explore super abilities (kind of like vampire talents): invisibility/stealth, flight, X-ray vision, super strength, super speed, and maybe gadgets for sims that want to be heroes but don't want to be super... unlocked one at a time, or maybe you can only have a few at a time. Then perhaps a super power reset.

Build/Buy: secret doors/trap doors, secret smart home devices (statues that can open secret doors).

**If this comes with a new world, it could be a dynamic world (like Strangerville or that one Island in Island Living). The town is *fine* at first, but can be improved if your heroic sims fix it up, or MADE WORSE if your villain sims ruin it.

I'm not a fan of a variety of superheroes, so I'm not certain of all the tropes. If you have more, feel free to contribute.

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Feel Free to Add your opinions and ideas!
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    I will support this idea if these 2 can be super villains...

Sims 1 burglar: Not only does he steal from the city his music will make children cry
    Dr. Cowplant: Half man half cowplant a failed science experiment don't make him angry when he's hungry
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    ChadSims2 wrote: »
    I will support this idea if these 2 can be super villains...
    Oh yeah, this pack would definitely have to come with pre-made heroes and villains. And these villain ideas are wonderful!

• Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    Justice League meets Marvel.
  • Options
    @SERVERFRA Superhero team-ups could totally be a thing if it's integrated with Get Together.

Being a superhero could be a club requirement, and "Fight Crime" could be a club activity. I'd love it.
  • Options
    RaichisimsRaichisims Posts: 61 Member
    This idea can be implemented like the "get-to-work" pack.

Superhero and Supervillain would both be more interesting and fun jobs to play than retailer/detective/scientist/doctor combined.

I would be super into this <3

OMG imagine... School of mutants!!! X-men in the sims!
  • Options
    kwanzaabotkwanzaabot Posts: 2,440 Member
    I think the biggest problem with superheroes (though I WANT THEM SO BAD) is that they have to fit into the domestic setting of The Sims.

The more outlandish powers, eg. Thor-style lightning powers, are gonna end up being essentially souped-up Mischief interactions, just like the magic Spellcasters get, and tbh those are kind of lame. Magneto-style magnetism might be like an Alien's repair power, and a Kitty Pryde "phasing" power could be a Ghost's possession power. Which are... not that exciting.

Super-speed is doable (Vampires have it already) as is super-strength and teleportation (again, Vampires), but I can't see anything else really working.

At the end of the day, what will superpowers really bring to the table?
    wJbomAo.png
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    kwanzaabot wrote: »
    I think the biggest problem with superheroes (though I WANT THEM SO BAD) is that they have to fit into the domestic setting of The Sims.

The more outlandish powers, eg. Thor-style lightning powers, are gonna end up being essentially souped-up Mischief interactions, just like the magic Spellcasters get, and tbh those are kind of lame. Magneto-style magnetism might be like an Alien's repair power, and a Kitty Pryde "phasing" power could be a Ghost's possession power. Which are... not that exciting.

Super-speed is doable (Vampires have it already) as is super-strength and teleportation (again, Vampires), but I can't see anything else really working.

At the end of the day, what will superpowers really bring to the table?

This is why it should be a stand alone game like Life Stories was in the past versions.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    @kwanzaabot I've heard youtubers say that spells/potions from RoM are basically just cheats that you could accomplish without even owning the RoM pack.

So what does Realm of magic bring to the table? Atmosphere, customization, inspiration for storytelling.

I think it's less about whether superpowers are too boring or not groundbreaking enough, and more about creating an experience within a game where experiences should feel limitless. Not to mention superheroes are now part of hugely popular and financially successful film franchises.

Yes, the sims is largely domestic, but it also has more than its share of quirky, non-domestic locations and gameplay. Alien abduction? A portal that takes you to a floating island? Ancient jungle curses? The Sims 4 is as weird as you make it.

• Options
    jadonbakes wrote: »
    @kwanzaabot I've heard youtubers say that spells/potions from RoM are basically just cheats that you could accomplish without even owning the RoM pack.

So what does Realm of magic bring to the table? Atmosphere, customization, inspiration for storytelling.

I think it's less about whether superpowers are too boring or not groundbreaking enough, and more about creating an experience within a game where experiences should feel limitless. Not to mention superheroes are now part of hugely popular and financially successful film franchises.

Yes, the sims is largely domestic, but it also has more than its share of quirky, non-domestic locations and gameplay. Alien abduction? A portal that takes you to a floating island? Ancient jungle curses? The Sims 4 is as weird as you make it.

In RoM, the Mischief branch of spells are the closest we get to destructive, elemental magic. Basically superpowers, just with different text. You can control fire, electricity, etc, just like Thor or the Human Torch. They're a very good idea of what to expect from a superhero pack.

But those spells are, at the end of the day, exactly what it says on the tin. They're Mischief interactions. And Mischief is largely a useless skill. You can electrocute or burn a Sim, but so what? There's no stakes. It's good for storytelling, sure, but that's it. There's no actual gameplay attached to burning that Sim, since they're guaranteed to survive. Whoa, they got a little burned! That's got replay value.

Atmosphere is fine, but atmosphere without meaningful gameplay is pointless. You might as wear a Captain Sigma or Llama Man costume. It achieves the exact same end result if all you're looking for is atmosphere.

Super-strength might help you win fights (as it does with Vampires). Super-speed and teleportation will let you move around the world faster. Those are useful. But what else is there?

Mischief powers? I'll pass.
    wJbomAo.png
  • Options
    RaichisimsRaichisims Posts: 61 Member
    Why is everyone discussing powers? It's clear as day to me that superhero/super-villain would make great "get-to-work" style jobs. I remember sims 3 playing ghost-busters over and over again because it was so much fun.
  • Options
    Was it S2 where you could become a superhero at the top of the cop career? I remember that my guy would fly off to work by crashing through the roof. :D
  • Options
    Captain_CCaptain_C Posts: 180 Member
    Have it mix into Sim City universe, with Maxis Man, and Dr. Voo as actual people you can see as the Super Sim. Both Hero and or Villain. It could work like the 'Get Famous' system, but depending if you take powers or not it can be the literal equivalent between Batman/Ironman, and Thor/Superman. Could add a system where you have to stop crimes in the neighborhood, and that burglar system like back in Sims 2 and 3 you can be there before the police and decide. And if you chose villain there can be opportunities to branch into an actual career, and do a path from Science/Athlete to Criminal careers. To the point where you can own the criminal underworld. And you can create your own society/league that fights for good or evil, depending on how famous/infamous you are, you can make a living out of it. With powers can be another way to transport by flying, and two Romantic options to do a 'Moonlit flight' and or 'Woohoo in the stars'. Also, a mean/evil interaction to intimidate other sims; 'Intimidate' where you lift them up into the sky and they come falling back down but you catch them just in time. Another where 'Rough flight' where you go nuts in the sky and basically cause the Sim you did that to feel dazed and maybe even afraid. Got so many ideas for it. I'm available Maxis, hire me.
    Until next time!

Take care all!

- C

giphy.gif
  • Options
    Raichisims wrote: »
    Why is everyone discussing powers? It's clear as day to me that superhero/super-villain would make great "get-to-work" style jobs. I remember sims 3 playing ghost-busters over and over again because it was so much fun.

I remember Sims 4 playing scientists and cops and movie stars.
    There would be very little variety in an active career.
    wJbomAo.png
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Raichisims wrote: »

This would definitely be a good opportunity for a new active career. Or even something a sim is involved in outside their career.
    I could see a few different types of heroic feats a supersim is tasked with (and tasks can come in via light signal in the sky or a secret superphone). They might just perform community service tasks (volunteer stuff like in Parenthood, just a rabbitholes), rescue tasks (someone is down a sewer hole, someone is dangling out a window, tied to subway tracks), and crime prevention (a villain is doing something evil, and your supersim has to stop them and fight them.)

Also, not sure if they would get paid, because superheroes typically work for free. Maybe get paid in powers/perks.

Also also, let's keep the discussion productive. Offer a critique, a solution, an idea. If you see something not working, tell us how you would change it to make it work. If you don't have any ideas, don't post.
    Post edited by jadonbakes on
  • Options
    The "secret lairs" could be fun to build if there are a lot of decor items like walls of tech, glass costume containers and secret entrances like hidden doors leading to a slide or BAT POLE.
  • Options
    Nana Innes Nana Innes Posts: 4 New Member
    You know, with Marvel and My Hero Academia being such a crazy buzz right now, this would be the best marketing decision EA can make - making a superheroes and villains pack. Then the whole 'making enemies' in the Sims will also make much more sense.
  • Options
    SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,634 Member
    edited October 2019
    With Infinity Wars about to come out, this could be a big opportunity for marketing, if they do a marketing collab with Marvel. Or, it could be done without, like some of the old tabletop RPGs did superheroes. You could have an old fashioned warrior archetype, perhaps with gear that has special properties, or you could have a mage archetype: like a spellcaster only more advanced abilities in addition to the usual ones. Or maybe have a superhero scientist (or former scientist) with costume and SimRay. Or you could have a superhero with elemental powers, or one that is superhero by means of gadgets, not necessarily on a belt, but maybe on a wristband or two, or a backpack. I'd also love to see the Sims 3 into the future jet pack make a return. However, first, I'd like to see vehicles make a comeback: what is Batman without the Batmobile? I can understand however, the reluctance to show weapons in the Sims 4 for fear the ratings board may raise their ratings....lately those rating the game tend to underestimate teens. However, this may be due to highly overprotective parents, so they are rating the games based on what the most overprotective parents that still actually let their kids play computer games at all, want. PM me for details if you want reasons behind this opinion.
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
  • Options
    troshalomtroshalom Posts: 1,095 Member

New "Occult" Type: Supersim (you don't assign good/bad/antihero, but that comes out in your gameplay style). Choose everyday looks, then switch to Super Form to customize their heroic or villainous identities. (New masks, new super suits, new chest logos, new gloves, new boots). These super forms are SECRET, so don't get caught.

New active career: Supersim (hero and villain tracks perhaps). Work your way up the ranks to the ultimate goals. Fight your enemies. Solve (or commit) crimes. Get rewards like secret lair swag.

Become a supersim by getting bitten by a radioactive llama (lol maybe not a llama), but there should definitely be a way for existing sims to become superheroes/villains

Not sure if the pack would explore super abilities (kind of like vampire talents): invisibility/stealth, flight, X-ray vision, super strength, super speed, and maybe gadgets for sims that want to be heroes but don't want to be super... unlocked one at a time, or maybe you can only have a few at a time. Then perhaps a super power reset.

Build/Buy: secret doors/trap doors, secret smart home devices (statues that can open secret doors).

**If this comes with a new world, it could be a dynamic world (like Strangerville or that one Island in Island Living). The town is *fine* at first, but can be improved if your heroic sims fix it up, or MADE WORSE if your villain sims ruin it.

I'm not a fan of a variety of superheroes, so I'm not certain of all the tropes. If you have more, feel free to contribute.

This is a great idea. In SimCity they have Maxis Man, to make it gender neutral it could be Maxis Sim.

Also, I like the idea of most of the villainy stuff being contained to that world, you can choose to add some stuff to other worlds, but it is mostly contained to the superhero world. Superheros is something the sims lacks, there is a mod for it, but it is a bit too violent for my taste. So if an EP was made, especially if it had quests (because I did enjoy the storyline that was added with StrangerVille).

EA should definitely consider a superhero pack and add in the News anchor person career and beef up the TV channel so it has live reports of sims at locations when Superhero stuff go down.
    wocka wocka wockaWho gave that puppy asparagus?please do not send me private messages - they creep me out 🤢🤮😱