Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

ROM - No Weather / Fame Spells

What gives? Being a Spellcaster should come with more useful spells / potions. Seems kind of rushed.

Comments

• Options
    CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    fame spells?
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    There is weather though. I’m playing autumn right now and it’s been windy and rainy and cold. Or do you mean spells to affect the weather?
  • Options
    RememberJoyRememberJoy Posts: 1,139 Member
    My guess on why they didn't include cross pack spells is that all the spells are in a spellbook and having a couple spells that could only be unlocked if you own certain packs would not have gone over well. With mermaids they could just add a choice to the sim's menu, but with spellcasters they would have had to include them to the book possibly taking the place of spells that could be available to everyone.

But yeah, I'm kind of sad there are no weather spells too. It does makes mermaids more unique though.
  • Options
    KolbyKolby Posts: 1,126 Member
    To clarify, I do mean spells to increase fame or change the weather / season. Where are the out-of-the-box ideas we haven't seen before too? Like what if you could temporarily transform into a cat or dog (if you have that expansion). I just feel like the "magic" we got this time is pretty basic/predictable.
  • Options
    Cupid wrote: »
    fame spells?

Honestly I really don't know how you didn't understand that. What combinations can be made with spells and fame? You might know if you played Makin' Magic.
  • Options
    CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    Kolby wrote: »
    Cupid wrote: »
    fame spells?

Honestly I really don't know how you didn't understand that. What combinations can be made with spells and fame? You might know if you played Makin' Magic.

sassy

I was only curious whether you meant spells to become famous or getting famous from using spells
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Options
    ReksohReksoh Posts: 303 Member
    if half the pack features required other packs then people will say it's a cash grab to sell dlcs. the pack has to be able to stand mostly on its own.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Reksoh wrote: »
    if half the pack features required other packs then people will say it's a cash grab to sell dlcs. the pack has to be able to stand mostly on its own.

It wouldn't be a cash grab because the options could/should be hidden from users without the specified packs.

Edit: Also, Pets/Weather/Fame are the top selling EPs. The majority of players would have any or all of those packs, I know I do.
  • Options
    edited September 2019

It wouldn't be a cash grab because the options could/should be hidden from users without the specified packs.

lol
    it doesnt matter whether the feature is hidden or not. you're paying for it whether you can use it or cant
    Edit: Also, Pets/Weather/Fame are the top selling EPs. The majority of players would have any or all of those packs, I know I do.

"I have it, so the majority of players must have it too"

lol

hate to break it to you but the majority of players are playing base game with little to no DLC at all.
  • Options

lol
    it doesnt matter whether the feature is hidden or not. you're paying for it whether you can use it or cant

I don't care if other people are paying for something they can't use. I'd rather see the players who did shell out their money on other packs be rewarded. FOH
  • Options

lol

lol

hate to break it to you but the majority of players are playing base game with little to no DLC at all.

Oh? Can you back up that assumption?
  • Options
    edited September 2019

lol

lol

common sense would be the first thing to back it up

but if that isnt there (and for you it clearly is not) then the fact that the base game has sold millions more copies than any of the "most popular" dlc's would be the next best indicator I guess
  • Options

lol

lol

but if that isnt there (and for you it clearly is not) then the fact that the base game has sold millions more copies than any of the "most popular" dlc's would be the next best indicator I guess

Common sense would be what *I* said. I guess I have to repeat it for you. Pets, weather and fame are the top selling DLCs. The majority of players have any combination of those packs. I'm sorry you can't afford them all.
  • Options

lol

lol

Common sense would be what *I* said. I guess I have to repeat it for you. Pets, weather and fame are the top selling DLCs. The majority of players have any combination of those packs. I'm sorry you can't afford them all.

I have all of them lol. What I own is completely besides the point of what I said. It is unrealistic to expect the spells in this pack to have relied on other DLC. Little side features like being able to make your cat or dog a familiar are different, but that main selling point of the pack needs to be accessible by everyone.
  • Options

lol

lol

I have all of them lol. What I own is completely besides the point of what I said. It is unrealistic to expect the spells in this pack to have relied on other DLC. Little side features like being able to make your cat or dog a familiar are different, but that main selling point of the pack needs to be accessible by everyone.

Here's the thing, just because you disagree, does not mean you are correct. If it has been done before (Makin' Magic, Apartment Life, Supernatural), it can be done again. I don't care what "everyone" has. Exclusivity has a reasonable price and makes it that much more valuable.
  • Options

lol

lol

Here's the thing, just because you disagree, does not mean you are correct. If it has been done before (Makin' Magic, Apartment Life, Supernatural), it can be done again. I don't care what "everyone" has. Exclusivity has a reasonable price and makes it that much more valuable.

I'm absolutely correct
    at least until you find something to say that isnt condescending, or just plain false to go along with what you are saying. Then maybe I'd reconsider my position
  • Options
    edited September 2019

lol

lol

I'm absolutely correct
    at least until you find something to say that isnt condescending, or just plain false to go along with what you are saying. Then maybe I'd reconsider my position

I'm *absolutely* correct. I'm smart; you're dumb. I'm big; you're little. I'm right; you're wrong. You lose, good DAY sir.
  • Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,022 Member
    edited September 2019
    We should have cross-pack support. Yeah, some people would be locked out of spells - but what use would they have for a weather spell in a game without weather? They're not hurt by not having access to spells that affect things they don't have, while the people who do have those things could have benefited from them greatly. Besides, you don't see people complaining about cats and dogs being able to become familiars, or the cross-pack magic in Sims 1 and 2, or Sulani having unique weather if you have Seasons.

As long as people still have a good amount of spells to work with (and we do), it shouldn't be a problem if one or two things are locked out to them, if that lock-out makes sense.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • Options
    paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    Maybe if the both of you could stop arguing, we could focus on the topic at hand.

Anyway, while I would've liked more spells that tie into other packs, I just think they rushed the gameplay like they always do. I've already seen quite a few bugs with CAS after I bought the pack, I'd like to know what exactly were they doing all this time.
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • Options
    Gordy wrote: »
    We should have cross-pack support. Yeah, some people would be locked out of spells - but what use would they have for a weather spell in a game without weather? They're not hurt by not having access to spells that affect things they don't have, while the people who do have those things could have benefited from them greatly. Besides, you don't see people complaining about cats and dogs being able to become familiars, or the cross-pack magic in Sims 1 and 2, or Sulani having unique weather if you have Seasons.

As long as people still have a good amount of spells to work with (and we do), it shouldn't be a problem if one or two things are locked out to them, if that lock-out makes sense.

Thank you, I couldn't have said it better myself. I agree completely.
  • Options
    Maybe if the both of you could stop arguing, we could focus on the topic at hand.

Anyway, while I would've liked more spells that tie into other packs, I just think they rushed the gameplay like they always do. I've already seen quite a few bugs with CAS after I bought the pack, I'd like to know what exactly were they doing all this time.

I agree, thank you.
  • Options
    Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    @Reksoh The players using only the base game along with a couple of the packs, probably don't care about adding to their games in the form of DLC/Packs. But there are many players out there that buy every new pack being released who would like to see features from the packs they have purchased expanded upon, such as the ability to manipulate the weather as a Spellcaster, or the fame level of a celebrity. The teams did add the option of creating a familiar in the form of a cat or a dog if one owns that pack, but I haven't seen anyone complain or demand to be able to create a cat or dog familiar because they passed on purchasing the Cats and Dogs EP and believe it's unfair to them. There are many different familiars included in RoM that aren't cats and dogs and are not dependant on any past releases. The teams do a decent job of not making all the content in new packs dependant on content from past packs because many players do not own all the packs. They do their best to be fair to everyone.

@Kolby was simply stating the pack itself seems to be lacking a couple of features. Weather manipulation would have been a good fit for this pack and could have been entertaining. Such as creating a blizzard during one of the festivals in the middle of summer. I can think of a lot of ways a Spellcaster could wreak havoc using weather as a weapon. Using a spell to make a Spellcaster a celebrity could have been implemented in some form as well, but the fame system is complicated as is the vampire system, which is probably why vampires cannot be a witch/warlock at the same time. I think the teams didn't want to complicate the vampire and fame systems already in place. However, Spellcasters are still able to become famous and reach celebrity status. They just have to do it without resorting to using spells and potions. But I think the abilty to cast a spell that strips a celebrity's status and makes them a normal Sim again would have been a fun thing. There is already a Celebrity Cleanse Potion in the game that does this, so it wouldn't have taken much to include that in a Spellcaster's bag of tricks. I think the modding community will have a lot of fun over the next few months with this pack. There's no telling what they will come up with. :D
  • Options
    nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    I think that after My First Pet Stuff, they decided to include as little cross-pack gameplay as they could.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I'm with the crowd that can see that too much work put into cross pack related stuff takes away from a solid pack that just works with the base game.
    However I would have sorely wanted a clear skies spell... since I hate overcast days to the point that sometimes I want to disable Seasons.
    I'm glad they did the work to make cats and dogs familiars.. mostly because we have so many types and can color and mold them so many ways. Witches and pet familiars go together like peas and carrots .. and I think there would have been deserved backlash if they hadn't made an attempt to tie them in.
    egTcBMc.png