Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Dueling Awesomeness

CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
[This was posted before the game launched]
I just learned that sims can duel for 5 different outcomes.
My sims dueled in TS3 mainly for entertainment value, seeing all the effects.
I will be having my sims duel a lot more in Realm of Magic.

Duel.png

I will certainly have a trophy space for all the artifacts I have won off other sims.
Getting ingredients and knowledge will be helpful and it will be nice to have duels different from you friends or nemesis.
The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
Post edited by CK213 on

Comments

• Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    I really do love those options! And the fact that fail rate pertains to the sims levels.
  • Options
    nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    I know! It's going to be so much fun.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    I am so so excited for the dueling!!

My first spellcaster will just brew potions, starting the legacy of slowly but I will have to have one side-sim that duels.
  • Options
    Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    I am kind of sad that I can't lose anything from it though. I want there to be a risk. Maybe with mods?
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • Options
    WolfNateWolfNate Posts: 2,340 Member
    hq6.jpg

Expeliarmus!
    Occultism in Sims is family-friendly and should not be watered down to cater to realism players
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    edited September 2019
    Aw, I just realized magic dueling, it has different animations, but it’s not like Sims will throw a variety of spells back and forth.
    Like Fire, Frost, or Lightning, I was hoping magic fights sims would exhaust all the spells they know, not just clash their power together and see who’s stronger.

Like my sim would usually come at another spell caster with a lot of fire and light based magic. While the other may come at him with a lot of lightning and Dark based magic. Also they didn’t use the Season’s snow ball fight tactic, to move around while casting spells.

For me, I would have my characters have stand offs in the middle of a Town Square, the street or the woods, or in Alley ways.
    someone would have to throw the first punch and conjure the first spell, usually the villain or the antagonist does Sometimes it's the protagonist, my simself is very liberal with his powers now. If it's my simself he's going to conjure a fireball in his hand and throw it at his target. Usually cast a protection spell or disappear in a puff of smoke.
    From tumbling out of the way and unleashing their next attack, To using the disappearing spell to dodge an attack. until we get to the climax of the fight. And my fights are more like battles in war. They can last hours, if not days. Like I'll have one character on the run while the other is on roof tops flinging lighting and other spells at the other... I wish Sims could cast spells at each other From different floor heights.

I really hope Someone makes a mod for renaming Spells, I can't with Zip Zap and chillio and all these ridiculous names.
    My sim is a sorcerer with dignity, Grace and Class and can't cast a spell called zipzap in heated battles.
    Custom spells, Like I'd like my spell caster to use another version of Mist form. like it could be the same animation as the teleportation spell, but I want to see a plume of smoke appear vs a quick ping of light and minimal smoke. and maybe add custom colors to mist form.
    But I can't wait for a mod that allows me to Cast a fire ball at sims directly... what I don't get is why the devs thought the fireball had to kill the target. when it could just blast them back a couple of feet and knock the other sim out. casting fire at a sim doesn't necessarily have to kill them.
    Post edited by MasonGamer on
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    edited September 2019
    Meh. Never really liked the dueling stuff, as it's just more typical Harry Potter style wands-are-guns. I'm your typical Vancian -- magic being more difficult and cumbersome to wield, but potentially reality-warpingly powerful.
  • Options
    I am kind of sad that I can't lose anything from it though. I want there to be a risk. Maybe with mods?

Yes, that would make it more of a challenge.
    I do like the new reasons for dueling, but it still could use a little more depth.
  • Options
    Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    MasonGamer wrote: »
    Aw, I just realized magic dueling, it has different animations, but it’s not like Sims will throw a variety of spells back and forth.
    Like Fire, Frost, or Lightning, I was hoping magic fights sims would exhaust all the spells they know, not just clash their power together and see who’s stronger.

Like my sim would usually come at another spell caster with a lot of fire and light based magic. While the other may come at him with a lot of lightning and Dark based magic. Also they didn’t use the Season’s snow ball fight tactic, to move around while casting spells.

For me, I would have my characters have stand offs in the middle of a Town Square, the street or the woods, or in Alley ways.
    someone would have to throw the first punch and conjure the first spell, usually the villain or the antagonist does Sometimes it's the protagonist, my simself is very liberal with his powers now. If it's my simself he's going to conjure a fireball in his hand and throw it at his target. Usually cast a protection spell or disappear in a puff of smoke.
    From tumbling out of the way and unleashing their next attack, To using the disappearing spell to dodge an attack. until we get to the climax of the fight. And my fights are more like battles in war. They can last hours, if not days. Like I'll have one character on the run while the other is on roof tops flinging lighting and other spells at the other... I wish Sims could cast spells at each other From different floor heights.

I really hope Someone makes a mod for renaming Spells, I can't with Zip Zap and chillio and all these ridiculous names.
    My sim is a sorcerer with dignity, Grace and Class and can't cast a spell called zipzap in heated battles.
    Custom spells, Like I'd like my spell caster to use another version of Mist form. like it could be the same animation as the teleportation spell, but I want to see a plume of smoke appear vs a quick ping of light and minimal smoke. and maybe add custom colors to mist form.
    But I can't wait for a mod that allows me to Cast a fire ball at sims directly... what I don't get is why the devs thought the fireball had to kill the target. when it could just blast them back a couple of feet and knock the other sim out. casting fire at a sim doesn't necessarily have to kill them.

I'm glad they don't use the seasons style of snow ball fighting. It's horrible... Sims idle in place for way too long.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    I played maybe ten different Witches with TS3: Supernatural over the years, and I think I did a duel of magic maybe once. With my Spellcasters, it is much more of a draw, even if one duel is much the same as the next. The different tones are nice. I learned that a Heated Duel by a Teen affects the Manners value from Parenthood, giving a slight decrease (nothing that setting the table or doing the dishes won't fix). Most commonly, I do friendly duels. So far Duel for Ingredients mostly has awarded Simoleons - once over a grand, from Minerva Charm.
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    I'm rather annoyed by the duelling requirement in the nature-based spells aspiration. One of my Sims did the knowledge-potions aspiration and finished it quite quickly. Aga's been stuck on the duelling goal for ages, and now that Helly's doing the spells aspiration, she's stuck, too. They have to win three duels against three different spellcasters to get past it, and it's rather difficult to arrange them with strangers. (It doesn't help that they've both had the 'awkward embrace' curse, so they keep dropping interactions because someone wants to hug them.)

I might cheat past this one.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options
    loubyloulouloubyloulou Posts: 4,467 Member
    I'm rather annoyed by the duelling requirement in the nature-based spells aspiration. One of my Sims did the knowledge-potions aspiration and finished it quite quickly. Aga's been stuck on the duelling goal for ages, and now that Helly's doing the spells aspiration, she's stuck, too. They have to win three duels against three different spellcasters to get past it, and it's rather difficult to arrange them with strangers. (It doesn't help that they've both had the 'awkward embrace' curse, so they keep dropping interactions because someone wants to hug them.)

You could make a witchy club and duel the club members? Pity that duelling isn't actually a club activity though *rolls eyes at the Gurus*
  • Options

You could make a witchy club and duel the club members? Pity that duelling isn't actually a club activity though *rolls eyes at the Gurus*

I don't have GT - the extra texting ('I heard you became friends with so-and-so') would drive me round the bend. One of my Sims did some magic training and got a curse removal potion as a bonus, so only one of them has the curse, now. I'm going to have to find the ingredients for that potion and brew up a few dozen bottles. (They both got cursed by over-duelling in the first place.)
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    First, cleanse that Curse! It's in your way.

While you don't need to befriend everyone to duel, I do find it handy to introduce my Sim to others in the Realm. Any grade of introduction will work to unlock the Duel interactions. I lost maybe as many as three or four duels, among my three needed wins. But then, I duel frequently for skill gain anyway. This with a Sim who was only an Adept at the time. The only hitch in his Aspiration is building him all the way up to the top rank, the name of which momentarily escapes me.
  • Options

I don't have GT - the extra texting ('I heard you became friends with so-and-so') would drive me round the bend. One of my Sims did some magic training and got a curse removal potion as a bonus, so only one of them has the curse, now. I'm going to have to find the ingredients for that potion and brew up a few dozen bottles. (They both got cursed by over-duelling in the first place.)

Ah, sorry, just assumed :#
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member

Yes! Dueling as a club rule would have been great!
  • Options
    CheekybitsCheekybits Posts: 1,030 Member
    Here's a nice little detail they added with dueling. I'm really into dueling right so much so that my sim has 2 curses and almost died from overload once.
    ELiZZrW.jpg
  • Options
    Cheekybits wrote: »
    Here's a nice little detail they added with dueling. I'm really into dueling right so much so that my sim has 2 curses and almost died from overload once.
    ELiZZrW.jpg

I'd like to see that.
    I have been so busy building, that my sims haven't had enough time to advance their magic.
  • Options
    Sindocat wrote: »

While you don't need to befriend everyone to duel, I do find it handy to introduce my Sim to others in the Realm. Any grade of introduction will work to unlock the Duel interactions. I lost maybe as many as three or four duels, among my three needed wins. But then, I duel frequently for skill gain anyway. This with a Sim who was only an Adept at the time. The only hitch in his Aspiration is building him all the way up to the top rank, the name of which momentarily escapes me.

Believe me, I'm trying. Helly can make the potion, but needs citrine in order to do it, and no luck finding that.

It's having to do the introduction, then the duel that's a pain. Either someone else comes over and interrupts in between the introduction and duel, or the other Sim walks off. NPCs have the attention span of a squirrel. I finally cheated past that part of the aspiration.
  • Options

Believe me, I'm trying. Helly can make the potion, but needs citrine in order to do it, and no luck finding that.

It's having to do the introduction, then the duel that's a pain. Either someone else comes over and interrupts in between the introduction and duel, or the other Sim walks off. NPCs have the attention span of a squirrel. I finally cheated past that part of the aspiration.

My Sim managed to buy citrine from the computer? I'm not sure if the option to buy crystals from the computer came in some DLC or a patch though...
  • Options
    BrinnBrinn Posts: 327 Member
    I've never used dueling in TS3, but in TS4 it makes sense since we can duel for spells or artifacts. Some of my... more aggressive spellcasters learn magic through dueling.
  • Options

My Sim managed to buy citrine from the computer? I'm not sure if the option to buy crystals from the computer came in some DLC or a patch though...

Looked for it on the computer, but I wasn't able to buy crystals there - only in the magic realm.
  • Options
    BrinnBrinn Posts: 327 Member

Looked for it on the computer, but I wasn't able to buy crystals there - only in the magic realm.

I believe purchasing crystals through the computer came with Get Famous EP.