Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Corrupted Installation? Please help!

riccardougariccardouga Posts: 436 Member
Hello, after several months of waiting and savings I've finally bought last day my new laptop Asus gl703gs-e5012t... I have all my Expansions and Stuff packs (and of course Base game from June 2009 first release) in physical discs copies, so I had to bought Asus zendrive u9m external cd drive. All discs from Base game to Master Suite stuff were successfully installed, but when Showtime was *almost* completing the installation, a strange message (that I don't remember exaclty) appear, sorta like "the installation can't continue because files can't be transferred". The only options to select in that specific moment were only "Retry" and "Exit". The installation was stuck to "deltafullbuild12"(or something like this)... i was literally in panic so i click on Retry many times but without success. So I had to renunce and the installation failed... this is really weird 'cause all of my discs are in perfect conditions(except Showtime at this point)... I'm saying this because a couple of months ago I've installed the whole game with expansions/stuff packs on my sister's laptop without problems(she's laptop however have an internal cd drive).

So I had the idea to copy all the files in the Showtime cd to an usb pen with my sister's laptop. Surprisingly even in this occasion the disc stops to "move" (I mean the typical sound when files are transferring) and I noticed that the copying process was stuck on deltafullbuild12... the monitor became completely black and only the cursor was visible. After some seconds all was return normal. I put the remaining missing files manually on the USB... I've controlled maniacally all the files sizes(especially deltafullbuild12), making sure that were the same equivalent as the cd.

*Obviously I first deleted (with hidden files enabled) the Showtime's Installshield folder in the file explorer on my laptop before doing all of these things*

Returning to my laptop, I've insered the usb pen and started the installation .exe
But after a while a new terribile message came out: "CRC Error ecc/.. doesn't match the file in setup's .cab file. The medium from wich you are running the setup may be corrupted; contact your software vendor"

I first click Retry and then Ignore in the second time. The installation become complete and the icon appear on the desktop. I was felt bothered about all that issues (stressed, anxious and afraid), but I continued the same with Katy Perry Sweet Treats cd... in this case the installer Won't update my game so the installation became automatically denied.

My question is... what I have to do now? I'm feeling desperate because a problem like this never happend to me before!
Should I have to unistall Showtime and delete manually all the related registry keys?
I don't want to redone this huge time-consuming thing again by reinstalling the base game and all expansion from scratch!

My game is now on patch 1.31 (because the patch that came with Showtime in the cd was miraculously installed correctly) my intenction is to install all the remaining packs and then manually patching in a gradual way, with 1.66 & 1.67

If i buy a new Showtime physical disc, will work?

And why Katy Perry Sweet Treats disc refuses to install from the very beginning without updating my game?

I have a 512gb SSD with Windows on it so I absolutely don't want to defrag anything or touch something that will ruin my laptop.

Also I don't want to download any packs with Origin (you had probably understand that I want to avoid patch 1.69)

I know, this is an incredible mess. I really need help

Thanks in advance (sorry for my bad english but I'm Italian)

Edit: I currently have the Showtime Katy Perry Collector's Edition... is it indifferent if I buy a standard Showtime edition?
Post edited by riccardouga on

Comments

• Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    I totally understand the preference to not want to run an Origin controlled game on Patch 1.69. It's annoying and at times not very stable. But if the disc install is going to keep failing on you part way through like that, and given that brand new discs are probably in short supply by now, I would likely give in, uninstall, clean registry, and do an Origin install. There is a point of diminishing returns when it comes to staying on all-disc/1.67 and personally my time is too valuable to keep fighting something like this.

Another alternative though is a Steam install, which delivers 1.67 quite smoothly. But that requires repurchasing the Steam version of the game and all packs (no Katy Perry that way though). That's the route I ended up going when I got tired of the Origin setup myself and it cost me less than $95 total during one of Steam's 75%+ off sales that they run a few times a year. But I didn't have to do that, the game was still playable on 1.69 for me even though getting it started up was more painful than it should ever be.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    igazor wrote: »
    I totally understand the preference to not want to run an Origin controlled game on Patch 1.69. It's annoying and at times not very stable. But if the disc install is going to keep failing on you part way through like that, and given that brand new discs are probably in short supply by now, I would likely give in, uninstall, clean registry, and do an Origin install. There is a point of diminishing returns when it comes to staying on all-disc/1.67 and personally my time is too valuable to keep fighting something like this.

Another alternative though is a Steam install, which delivers 1.67 quite smoothly. But that requires repurchasing the Steam version of the game and all packs (no Katy Perry that way though). That's the route I ended up going when I got tired of the Origin setup myself and it cost me less than $95 total during one of Steam's 75%+ off sales that they run a few times a year. But I didn't have to do that, the game was still playable on 1.69 for me even though getting it started up was more painful than it should ever be.

@igazor Sorry but that's a lots of GBs and I don't have a very stable/fast internet connection here where I live... tomorrow I will buy a new copy of Showtime(indipendently of the editon) at Gamestop. Anyway, is safe to unistalling Showtime first (with Windows Programs & Features) and then delete/clean *Only* the specific Showtime's registry's keys? I have found this on google but tell me more please:

https://www.help.ea.com/en-au/help/the-sims/the-sims-3/manually-uninstalling-the-sims-3

According to this EA support link I have to do:

For PC (discs):

Delete the game files (in the default location):

Click the Start button and select My Computer.Select the Local Disk (C:) drive folder.Select the Program Files folder.For 64-bit, select Program Files (x86).Select the Electronic Arts folder if installed from the disc.Right-click on the folders of the packs you want to uninstall and select Delete. If you want to uninstall the base game, delete The Sims 3folder, too.You need to delete the packs if you want to uninstall the base game, since the packs won’t work if you remove the base game.

For the next steps, you’ll be editing your registry. Changes you make here can have serious effects on how your computer behaves. Please follow our steps exactly, or contact us if you’d like more help with them.

Backup your registry:

Hold down the Windows key and press R.At the Run command, type in regedit and select OK.Click on File and then Export...Choose a location and name for the file. This will be your backup registry file.Click Save.

Delete these registry keys:

Expand the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE folder.Expand the SOFTWARE folder.For 64-bit systems, expand Wow6432Node.Expand the Sims folder.Right-click on the folders of the packs you want to uninstall and select Delete.If you want to uninstall the base game, delete The Sims 3 folder, too.Collapse the Electronic Arts folder.Expand the Sims folder.Right-click on the folders of the packs you want to uninstall and select Delete.If you want to uninstall the base game, delete The Sims 3 folder, too. Collapse the Sims folder. Expand the Microsoft folder. Expand the Windows folder. Expand the CurrentVersion folder. Expand the Uninstall folder.Each  Expansion Pack for The Sims 3 has the same name. They look like this: {C05D8CDB-417D-4335-A38C-A0659EDFD6B8}_The Sims 3 [pack name will be listed here].
     Collapse the Microsoft folder. Expand the Classes folder. Delete the following folders if they appear butonly if you are uninstalling the base game:.Sims3.Sims3PackSims3Sims3Pack

Delete the uninstall files:

Click the Start button and select My Computer.If you’re on a previous version of Windows, you can access My Computer by holding the Windows logo + E on your keyboard.
    Select the Local Disk (C:) drive folder.Select the Program Files folder.Select Tools, then Folder Options, then View, then select Show hidden files and folders.Select the InstallShield Installation Information folder.Delete the following folders if they appear.{C05D8CDB-417D-4335-A38C-A0659EDFD6B8} – Base game{BA26FFA5-6D47-47DB-BE56-34C357B5F8CC} – The Sims 3 World adventures{71828142-5A24-4BD0-97E7-976DA08CE6CF} – The Sims 3 High end loft{910F4A29-1134-49E0-AD8B-56E4A3152BD1} – The Sims 3 Ambitions{ED436EA80-4145-4703-AE5D-4D09DD24AF5A} – The Sims 3 Fast Lane{45057FCE-5784-48BE-8176-D9D00AF56C3C} – The Sims 3 Late Night{117B6BF6-82C3-420C-B284-9247C8568E53} – The Sims 3 Outdoor Living{E6B88BD6-E4B2-4701-A648-B6DAC6E491CC} – The Sims 3 Generations{7B11296A-F894-449C-8DF6-6AAAA7D4D118} – The Sims 3 Town Life{C12631C6-804D-4B32-B0DD-8A496462F106} – The Sims 3 Pets{08A25478-C5DD-4EA7-B168-3D687CA987FF} – The Sims 3 Master Suite{3BBFD444-5FAB-49F6-98B1-A1954E831399} – The Sims 3 Showtime{9B2506E3-9A3F-45B5-96BF-509CAD584650} – The Sims 3 Katy Perry’s Sweet Treats{1C9B6173-6DC9-4EEE-9EFC-6BA115CFBE43} – The Sims 3 Diesel{B37DAFA5-717D-41F8-BDFB-3A4B68C0B3A1} – The Sims 3 Supernatural{3DE92282-CB49-434F-81BF-94E5B380E889} – The Sims 3 Seasons{E1868CAE-E3B9-4099-8C18-AA8944D336FD} – The Sims 3 70s, 80s & 90s{F26DE8EF-F2CF-40DC-8CDA-CC0D82D11B36} – The Sims 3 University Life{DB21639E-FE55-432C-BCA2-0C5249E3F79E} – The Sims 3 Island Paradise{D0087539-3C57-44E0-BEE7-D779D546CBE1} – The Sims 3 Movie{A0BBD6C7-B546-4048-B33A-F21F5C9F5B09} – The Sims 3 Into The Future

Now, restart your PC and The Sims 3 and/or the packs you were uninstalling should now be completely removed from your system.

...it is safe?
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    It's safe in the sense that you will only potentially harm your TS3 install (which is currently kind of in an unknown state right now anyway) if you follow all of the steps correctly. But taking a wrong turn or deleting the wrong Registry entries manually can potentially make your computer inoperative and then Windows would have to be reinstalled.

Another way to go about this is to uninstall TS3 entirely, including all EP/SPs added thus far, then clean the Registry using an automated program designed for this task like Piriform's CCleaner (the free version is fine). Then reinstall from the beginning.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    It's safe in the sense that you will only potentially harm your TS3 install (which is currently kind of in an unknown state right now anyway) if you follow all of the steps correctly. But taking a wrong turn or deleting the wrong Registry entries manually can potentially make you computer inoperative and then Windows would have to be reinstalled.

Another way to go about this is to uninstall TS3 entirely, including all EP/SPs added thus far, then clean the Registry using an automated program designed for this task like Piriform's CCleaner (the free version is fine). Then reinstall from the beginning.

@igazor I still haven't uninstall anything because I'm not completely convinced of what to do exactly...
    And if I try with this method? I was thinking to replace the "The Sims 3 Showtime" folder that is found in: 

C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\

with the one that is already correctly installed on my sister's laptop (I mean if it was installed successfully before, it should work with those files on my laptop too, right?)

And switching the hidden Showtime's installshield folder {3BBFD444-5FAB-49F6-98B1-A1954E831399} too with the one of my sister that is found in:

C:\Program Files (x86)\InstallShield Installation Information\

Will I risk something doing this procedure?

• Options
    edited September 2019
    The only risk is that it won't work, which is no worse than what you have now. I believe there is more to the DRM that a disc-based install provides than a Registry entry or two that can be copied between two machines. I'm sorry that I don't have anything more definitive to share than that, I don't even have a disc install myself, but can only go by what other players report and how I see other such protected programs operate.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    The only risk is that it won't work, which is no worse than what you have now. I believe there is more to the DRM that a disc-based install provides than a Registry entry or two that can be copied between two machines. I'm sorry that I don't have anything more definitive to share than that, I don't even have a disc install myself, but can only go by what other players report and how I see other such protected programs operate.

@igazor Ok so I've bought a new physical disc copy of Showtime (limited edition) at Gamestop some hours ago... you are perfectly right, is better to not messing up even more this bad situation. I will proceed in this way instead:

-Uninstall Showtime with Windows's Programs and Features

-Delete all of his related registry keys

-Run Windows Disk Cleanup

-Restart my laptop

-Reinstall Showtime

Also here I've found some further help

http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:TS3_Uninstall

Please tell me exactly if Windows Disk Cleanup will effective the same as CCleaner... I'm so desperate
  • Options
    ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,369 Member
    My game is now on patch 1.31 (because the patch that came with Showtime in the cd was miraculously installed correctly) my intenction is to install all the remaining packs and then manually patching in a gradual way, with 1.66 & 1.67

@riccardouga I have an idea but it would mean uninstalling everything again. With all my disc installs I have installed the base game, then used the superpatch to patch the game up to 1.67. After that, installation of all the rest of the discs has gone fine.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    CCleaner does have some optional disk cleanup tools, but it's not the same thing as Windows' built in Disk Cleanup. The Windows version does not clean the Registry, CCleaner looks for orphaned Registry entries (those associated with no program or hardware present) and cleans them out for us.

I would still suggest uninstalling everything, clean Registry, and start over. But regardless, I also like @ZeeGee 's suggestion as well if you can tolerate the large download (over 1 GB) of the SuperPatcher on the base game alone. I would also want to test the base game alone on 1.67 just to make sure it all works, then remove the resulting TS3 user game folder in Documents as that was just for testing before proceeding with the EP/SPs.
    https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/the-sims/the-sims-3/the-sims-3-super-patcher
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    CCleaner does have some optional disk cleanup tools, but it's not the same thing as Windows' built in Disk Cleanup. The Windows version does not clean the Registry, CCleaner looks for orphaned Registry entries (those associated with no program or hardware present) and cleans them out for us.

I would still suggest uninstalling everything, clean Registry, and start over. But regardless, I also like @ZeeGee 's suggestion as well if you can tolerate the large download (over 1 GB) of the SuperPatcher on the base game alone. I would also want to test the base game alone on 1.67 just to make sure it all works, then remove the resulting TS3 user game folder in Documents as that was just for testing before proceeding with the EP/SPs.
    https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/the-sims/the-sims-3/the-sims-3-super-patcher

@igazor But in CCleaner, do I have to select the second icon that says "Registry"? I mean under the "Cleaner" icon on the upper left part.... then click on "Scan for issues" and "Fix selected issues..." right? Sorry to sound so dumb but I really don't want to ruin my SSD...
    Also, do you suggest to use CCleaner After or Before(or both times?) this process of deleting manually the registry keys? (my question is if this part is necessary or not) http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:TS3_Uninstall

Edit: I read that simswki page better and it seems like that if I use CCleaner first it will already automatically clean all of the registry keys... it is correct?

Please tell me a way that doesn't hurt my laptop health... Believe me, this is so stressful. if you can summarize everything I would really appreciate it

@zeegee123 Thanks for help, I will do exactly those reinstalling steps that you advise me :smile:
  • Options
    Edit: I read that simswki page better and it seems like that if I use CCleaner first it will already automatically clean all of the registry keys... it is correct?

Please tell me a way that doesn't hurt my laptop health... Believe me, this is so stressful. if you can summarize everything I would really appreciate it
    Right, there shouldn't be any need to go through those manual registry cleanups if using CCleaner instead. The manual way is actually more prone to user error or accidentally skipping a step. You aren't going to ruin your laptop by cleaning the Registry with CCleaner. But let's say something really unlikely and unexpected did happen and as a last resort Windows needed to be reinstalled -- that's annoying and time consuming, but not anything like permanent hardware damage.

I'm not an expert on these utilities as I don't spend time on a typical day uninstalling and reinstalling the same software even professionally, I am just a casual user. If a user's office workstation in my care did start malfunctioning to the point where certain critical pieces of software no longer worked, I would be more likely to format the drive and start over with Windows entirely (after giving them a replacement to use, a luxury we don't typically have at home). But I did use this method on my own computer while transitioning TS3 from Origin to Steam a while back and it all went fine.
    https://www.ccleaner.com/docs/ccleaner/using-ccleaner/registry-cleaning
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options

Right, there shouldn't be any need to go through those manual registry cleanups if using CCleaner instead. The manual way is actually more prone to user error or accidentally skipping a step. You aren't going to ruin your laptop by cleaning the Registry with CCleaner. But let's say something really unlikely and unexpected did happen and as a last resort Windows needed to be reinstalled -- that's annoying and time consuming, but not anything like permanent hardware damage.

I'm not an expert on these utilities as I don't spend time on a typical day uninstalling and reinstalling the same software even professionally, I am just a casual user. If a user's office workstation in my care did start malfunctioning to the point where certain critical pieces of software no longer worked, I would be more likely to format the drive and start over with Windows entirely (after giving them a replacement to use, a luxury we don't typically have at home). But I did use this method on my own computer while transitioning TS3 from Origin to Steam a while back and it all went fine.
    https://www.ccleaner.com/docs/ccleaner/using-ccleaner/registry-cleaning

@igazor Only one last thing... do I have (with CCleaner) to clean Old Prefetch Data too?

https://www.ccleaner.com/docs/ccleaner/ccleaner-rules/windows-tab/advanced-windows-files

By default is uncheked, so I don't know if is better or not to select it...
  • Options
    I don't think it really makes any difference. Long ago Prefetch had a reputation for being a place where malware can potentially hide to avoid detection and removal, but I don't think that really happens anymore (if it ever did). Clearing out Prefetch will just cause programs to cache there again. I don't see how it could possibly do any harm to clear it out once it a while generally, or while doing cleanup tasks in between an uninstall and a reinstall.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    I don't think it really makes any difference. Long ago Prefetch had a reputation for being a place where malware can potentially hide to avoid detection and removal, but I don't think that really happens anymore (if it ever did). Clearing out Prefetch will just cause programs to cache there again. I don't see how it could possibly do any harm to clear it out once it a while generally, or while doing cleanup tasks in between an uninstall and a reinstall.

@igazor Ok so I've reinstalled everything and patched gradually as I planned (1.66 & 1.67)... Bad thing (again) now is that the game is stuttering like crazy. For "stuttering"(sorry but I can't find a proper term) I mean that when I move the mouse and the corners of the screen, my game makes little "bumps" across the roads and even on the map... Now I perfectly know that I have to cap frames & ecc... Infact I already made sure that my graphic card were recognized by changing the Graphicsrules(Texture Memory set to 1024), even before started the game for the first time (I don't get that annoying message, and in DeviceConfig it says "Found:1, Matched:1").

Also I have bypassed the launcher for better loading times. This laptop have a Nvidia gtx 1070, G-sync (enabled by default) and a 144hz screen...

When I load for the first time the game I don't touch anything in the Nvidia control panel's settings. I've only set to ultra all the graphic options (except water detail at 2, and Lot details at 2) in the main menu, disabled all internet-related options(store), disabled interactive loading screens, Memories, Opportunities and even Story progression. I've choose to load Sunset Valley, I've tried one medium-sized household... obviously I entered the "fps cheat on" and frames were on 400-500. I have exited immediatly the game worried of damaging my graphic card. I tought that were better to use Nvidia Inspector along with V-sync on... I capped the frames at 120fps(the highest option available).

Unfortunately the game still makes those bumps.... Can you tell me please if I have to disable G-sync? Also why in Nvidia inspector I can't cap fps at 144? I'm so confused and disappointed, I have fear that I have wasted 2000 € on this laptop

In these months I have learned practically everything on the forums to make run this game perfectly, but apparently it's only an illusion...
  • Options
    SuzyCue72SuzyCue72 Posts: 526 Member
    @riccardouga - I think you should run a DxDiag report on your computer, upload it to Pastebin and put a link to it in your next post here. It's much easier for people here to help if we know more about your hardware. :)

How to gather information on your PC using DxDiag
  • Options
    I'm not sure about this, but I do not believe that TS3 supports G-sync. I would definitely advise deactivating that for gameplay.

It's perfectly fine for to cap a card to a value under a monitor's most capable refresh rate. If 120 fps isn't going to be helpful, don't be afraid to try 60 with the intent of perhaps improving upon that later on. The goal here would be to get the game running in a stable and acceptable manner so you have a better starting point to work from. It's also pretty unlikely that most of us (even those of you with younger eyes) would really be able to tell the difference in quality between 60, 120, and 144 fps when it comes to TS3. Maybe a little for some players in kind of a difficult to define way.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    I'm not sure about this, but I do not believe that TS3 supports G-sync. I would definitely advise deactivating that for gameplay.

It's perfectly fine for to cap a card to a value under a monitor's most capable refresh rate. If 120 fps isn't going to be helpful, don't be afraid to try 60 with the intent of perhaps improving upon that later on. The goal here would be to get the game running in a stable and acceptable manner so you have a better starting point to work from. It's also pretty unlikely that most of us (even those of you with younger eyes) would really be able to tell the difference in quality between 60, 120, and 144 fps when it comes to TS3. Maybe a little for some players in kind of a difficult to define way.

@igazor Ok but V-sync On is needed in all cases?
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Yes. Vsync On or Adaptive, which only works (when it does) in full screen mode. Nvidia Inspector capping on top of that, and Inspector should show that vsync is forced on from the Control Panel setting.

It's also worth checking the performance and actual fps in windowed mode. Sometimes, often due to Win 10's creators updates, windowed mode just works out better for this game and many find that Windowed Borderless Gaming is an acceptable solution because in-game it looks and feels almost like full screen mode.
    https://westechsolutions.net/sites/WindowedBorderlessGaming

The goal is to have the game running smoothly, or at least smooth enough as there will always be some choppiness and game camera stutter with the higher end cards, and with the fps cap verified to be working, all while running the game at Normal speed. And then try to improve things from there if possible.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    Yes. Vsync On or Adaptive, which only works (when it does) in full screen mode. Nvidia Inspector capping on top of that, and Inspector should show that vsync is forced on from the Control Panel setting.

It's also worth checking the performance and actual fps in windowed mode. Sometimes, often due to Win 10's creators updates, windowed mode just works out better for this game and many find that Windowed Borderless Gaming is an acceptable solution because in-game it looks and feels almost like full screen mode.
    https://westechsolutions.net/sites/WindowedBorderlessGaming

The goal is to have the game running smoothly, or at least smooth enough as there will always be some choppiness and game camera stutter with the higher end cards, and with the fps cap verified to be working, all while running the game at Normal speed. And then try to improve things from there if possible.

@igazor Thank you very much, I will try every of these configurations to make my game more stable... anyway now I have a bigger issue regarding a missing animation

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/966071/missing-animation-in-high-end-loft-stuff/p1?new=1

On google I can't find anything that would help me