Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Worst Expansion Pack?

Comments

• Options
    SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    City Living
    @gallerysims4
    I'm actually surprised that so many people hate "Get to Work" and "Get Together," since those two are my favorite EP's.

I really enjoy aliens and the scientist career, I've had a lot of fun with the detective career too (doctor is really the only one of the three active careers that I've failed to have any fun with), traveling to Sixam is pretty cool, and even though Magnolia Promenade is a tiny world with just four lots, it at least feels like a nice little extension to Willow Creek (and Willow Creek is my favorite base game world in terms of atmosphere). Sure, shopping and retail aren't so great and you can't freely travel to the lab or police station/hospital districts, but it adds a lot of fun gameplay that really spices the game up for me.

As for "Get Together," I use the club feature all the time with my sims, I absolutely love Windenberg, and I actually get a lot more use from it than I do from "Cats and Dogs" or "City Living" when it comes to where I have my sims live and what features and Build/Buy objects I use (it has a lot of stone and Medieval-looking stuff in Build mode, and I like old architecture). I really don't understand how anyone could hate GTG, it's actually one of the more well-done packs in my opinion...especially when it comes to interacting with other packs (the club system gets new activities added to the club activity list based on what packs you have). The only drawbacks of this pack are the social texts (they're mostly pointless) and not being able to disable or customize bar nights (I keep forgetting when Ghost Night is and end up with new ghosts being spawned...and ghosts aren't all that well-done in TS4).

But, to each their own, I guess...
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • Options
    MoonfoxNightcryMoonfoxNightcry Posts: 296 Member
    Island Living
    The island is beautiful but there’s nothing to do. There also needed to be more grass-sand-ocean lots, and pools available on all lots.

It should have been named “The Shallows” pack. Nothing has deep gameplay. Lots of shiny facades and pointlessness.
  • Options
    AmtramAmtram Posts: 11 New Member
    > @Beardedgeek said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > There seems to be something wrong with your game. Apart from the mistake of enrolling more than one Sim at a time (that is not a good idea, and yes, that's a limitation) the rest is either something wrong with your game, your mods:*

If I can enroll only one sim at a time, that's definitely a game problem. I LOVED having all the sims I'd played from birth going to school together in Sims 2. Nothing is wrong with my mods. I have TwistedMexi's better exception reporting installed, and the reports tell me if it's a mod or something in the game causing a problem.

>What coffee table? Sims cannot get stuck behind furniture, the game will phase them thru, if necessary.

In Drake Hall at Britechester. I had to teleport them out all the time.

> * Sims automatically moves if they sit on your dorm bed and you want to go to bed.

This happened only in the dorms, not in the houses.

> * If you can't remember to check the schedule, that is your fault and not the fault of the game. Again. don't enroll three Sims at once.

It's a piece of gameplay that should work more like it does in all the other scheduled sim activities. You can't even ask for it to remind you. I don't play a game that focuses on a single sim or even a single family, so I like to have multiple playable sims in every neighborhood. It's more of a challenge, with more opportunities for surprises. Playing only one sim for 3-4 sim weeks sounds boring, and if it's the only way you can get anything out of the pack, that makes the pack even worse.

> * Random Sims does not show up at your "home" (dorm / university housing). Your housemates friends and partners will however show up. They are not random. If you don't want to live in a dorm, don't live in a dorm. If you don't want roomates, don't have roomates. You can go to Uni from your own house. To complain other students exist kind of negates the idea with moving away from home and into Uni housing to begin with...

I'm not talking about "roommate's friend" or "roommate's girlfriend" or roommates' relatives. Drake Hall was constantly visited by sims that were not students and were strangers to all the residents.

> * you Sim never gets sent to an activity other than class. It is not the game's fault that you don't remember what lot the meeting is at.

When you click on "attend event," you get sent to a lot. When you get sent to a building that's near that lot and have to zoom way out and pan around to find the event, that is definitely the game's doing.
  • Options
    kayen_keagenkayen_keagen Posts: 53 Member
    City Living
    I see a lot of people not like Get Together. The club system is a good way to get sims together without it being a timed event or using mods.

But I choose City Living because I don’t ever have my sims live in apartments. The festivals seem kind of boring. I have seasons so it’s always raining every time I go there. I may have used a couple from CAS and build/buy. But I will say San Mayshumo? Myshumo? Gosh I’m bad with the name. Lol. I will say that world is nice looking
  • Options
    Stylish_SimmerStylish_Simmer Posts: 26 Member
    Get to Work
    Get to work need more game play!
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited May 2020
    City Living
    City Living added the least by far. This EP....adds nothing of value when it comes to the overall gameplay. It's just a world pack with 3 new work from home careers. The festivals only use items from the BG or recycle them from other packs, it's deplorable. Beyond that, 80% of what is included with this pack, can only be used in the world that came with the pack. And the waste that was putting the singing skill here just for the karaoke machine....they didn't even add platforms to make proper stages, we have to use the old "delete half of the foundation on the inside" trick.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    City Living
    This is older, I would change my answer now to Discover University
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    City Living

Why?
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    SAEldarinSAEldarin Posts: 428 Member
    Island Living
    Island Living adds a beautiful world to be sure, but I think it should have been more fully developed, particularly with regard to the mermaids and the diving. One of the features I had most anticipated from the pack was underwater diving, so it stands to reason I was bitterly disappointed in the pack. Other than for taking screenshots, I don't do too much with the world anymore.
  • Options
    SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    edited May 2020
    City Living
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

Why?

@Sigzy05 Mostly, because I didn't enjoy the pack. A pack about university should have, in my opinion, let us follow the Sims to class. I wanted to see them sitting at desks, working at group projects, staying after to ask questions, etc. I couldn't care less about things like dorms, parties, juice pong, robotics... I just want to see sims sitting in a classroom setting. And while I knew it'd be a young adult pack, it would have been nice to have bikes included for kids too. I just found the full thing really boring to play, other than the homework, that was fun but yeah, homework alone isn't worth expansion pack prices for me haha, and I kinda regret buying it full price. My answer was also City Living for ages, but this one surpassed it haha. It just felt really weak, like there wasn't much to it.

It's okay though, just not my thing, the pack that came out before, Island Living, was my all time favourite and I get SOOOO much game play out of it, countless hours haha. And I think this Eco one coming out will be a top one for me too, so having one bad (for me) pack in the middle isn't the end of the world haha!
  • Options
    sikasika18sikasika18 Posts: 343 Member
    Get Famous
    Get famous for sure, it is broken and I loved the sims superstar and was dissapointed that this one didn't live up to that and the world was nothing special at all.....
  • Options
    xMyrthexMyrthe Posts: 56 Member
    Island Living
    Why the heck did this not come with a scuba diving skill...??

Also, I'm surprised to see GtW so far up! I just got that one during this sale and so far I'm really enjoying it. I've only played the scientist career now but it's a lot of fun and I like the potions and stuff you can make. For my next gen I plan to open up my own shop.
    That being said I can see how you wouldn't really revisit the careers once you've done them.
  • Options
    SIMileyFaceSIMileyFace Posts: 49 Member
    Get Together
    The responses for this were all really interesting to read. My vote isn't exactly fair because I don't actually own all the packs, my current computer just can't handle it. But as soon as I upgrade my PC and can start installing more packs I will definitely be taking all these opinions into consideration. For example, I do not think I will be purchasing Get Famous based on what others have said.

I voted for Get Together, which after reading the responses I realise is actually quite a popular pack, a few people said it was their favourite. I love Windenburg, but I haven't really used the groups feature all that much...maybe I just haven't found a good reason to use it? I don't know.
    Also, lot's of people don't like Get to Work...but personally I like getting to go to careers with my sims. I wish they had this option for more things. Like I feel like it would be fun if we could choose to go with a sim to high school or something...I mean I don't know how that would work...and might end up being boring I guess, but the idea seems cool to me.
  • Options
    rottmeisterrottmeister Posts: 192 Member
    Get Together
    I don't own Cats & dogs nor Get famous so I couldn't vote on either of them.

I think Get Together was the worst EP shortly followed by City Living. I only really liked Windenburg from that pack.
  • Options
    PoppyErstwhilePoppyErstwhile Posts: 29 Member
    edited May 2020
    Cats and Dogs
    For me it's a tie between Get to Work (buggy), Cats&Dogs (sick pets everywhere) and University (buggy+not imaginative).
  • Options
    LenaDietersLenaDieters Posts: 254 Member
    Get to Work
    To me GTW becomes boring once I played through all careers and the aliens are just not well made....

• Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,539 Member
    edited May 2020
    Island Living
    I put island living because I like my tropical worlds as getaways for my sims living in other places.
    Island Living doesn't even give you the option. So I had to use work arounds, but they don't allow my sims to use their vacation time. Sometimes my sims will just leave the island to go to work because I forgot to call off.
    @gallerysims4
    I'm actually surprised that so many people hate "Get to Work" and "Get Together," since those two are my favorite EP's.

I'm surprised too.
    I've gotten so much usage out of Get Together.
    It makes my sim worlds come alive with the sims that matter most to me.

Comedy Club
    I have this club and area set up in the upper level of my dance club so comedy shows are an actual thing in my game.
    There is also a buffet nearby so sims get dinner and a show.
    12-26-15_9-01-45nbspAM.png

Romantic Couples Clubs.
    I have my sims in relationships have a club just for the two of them and they hangout in community lots that would be perfect for dates. I see them when I am not playing them and their relationships stay strong because they are doing romantic socials.
    12-26-15_2-43-01nbspPM.png

Movie Night Club
    My sims has a nice house and TV set up for movie night.
    01-15-16_6-06-55nbspPM.png

Art Club
    My art sim is a real art snob. He has a club that has a hangout in the art museum.
    They paint pictures and add them to the museum. My cat-burglar cat sim steals them so they never run out of space.
    12-26-15_10-11-04nbspAM.png

Void Critters Clubs
    Child sims hangout in a sort of cybercafe that has arcade games, Void Critters consoles, computers, toys, movies etcs.
    It's also a hangout for my cosplayers. Kids can ask the cosplayers to see their cosplay costumes.
    They also come here to watch movies.
    10-01-16_10-09-55nbspAM.png

10-01-16_10-22-49nbspAM.png

10-01-16_10-24-04nbspAM.png

09-26-16_8-34-52nbspAM.png

Cosplayers Clubs.
    My teens belong to cosplayer clubs. They hang out at the cybercafe to show off their latest outfit in preparation for GeekCon.
    They hit GeekCon as a club too.
    11-21-18_3-31-34nbspPM.png

11-21-18_2-52-32nbspPM.png

11-21-18_3-11-59nbspPM.png

11-23-18_9-17-02nbspAM.jpg

Friends of Sulani Club.
    I group my favorite Sulani natives in a club that goes around cleaning up Mua Pel'am.
    I use Sulani as a vacation destination. My visiting sims joins or forms this club and help clean up the island.
    06-28-19_7-40-05nbspAM.png

Melonie Bloom's ARC readers club.
    Melonie Boom is my Comedian sim and she supplements her career by writing books specializing in comedy.
    11-27-18_8-13-11nbspAM.jpg

Writer's have alpha and beta readers.
    These are trusted people who get first exposure to their written works for feedback.
    They also have a group called ARC Readers (Advanced Review Copies).
    As defined: "The expectation of an ARC reader is only to read the book and write a review to post (probably at least to Amazon, possibly Goodreads or other sites) shortly after publication."
    11-27-18_8-18-26nbspAM.jpg

This really adds to my Comedian/Writer.
    11-27-18_8-20-49nbspAM.jpg

-An ARC members group meeting.
    -A hangout to have a reading.
    -Comedy routine performances
    -Posing for pictures.
    -Giving (gifting) ARC members copies of the book.
    -Plus all the benefits you can earn from having a Club.
    11-27-18_8-34-00nbspAM.jpg
    Post edited by CK213 on
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    Omri147Omri147 Posts: 11,162 Member
    edited May 2020
    City Living
    I still hold a grudge against City Living being 90% set dressing without actually adding much new gameplay.

Apartments are super limited, festivals are nice but just include base game stuff and you can't make your own and there's really not that much to do that is different than any other world.

I just hate the city backdrops that are just scenery and nothing more.

I guess Island Living is similar, I like the island scenery more at least, but it's a close second.

EDIT: Don't want to double post.

Reading all of the other comments reminded me that, Sims 4 EPs are just not that good and it sucks. I think Seasons and Get Together probably added the most substance, Cats & Dogs too I guess but I don't find the pets too interesting in this game. It seems like for a lot of these the new world takes about 75% of the development resources which doesn't leave much for actual new gameplay, which is why Season feels very packed compared to most other EPs.

GPs just add better value in general imo.
  • Options
    BrinnBrinn Posts: 327 Member
    edited May 2020
    Get Famous
    Get Famous. The only "fame" EP I actually loved in The Sims franchise was Super Star. In TS3 at least there was a Genie life state in such pack. I almost never use any gameplay option from the "Get Famous" pack.

I'm surprised too that so many players choose "Get together" as the worst EP. Maybe these people haven't really given a try to the club system. I can use it for most of my saves in one way or another.
    My creative sims start clubs for artists, so they have bohemian gatherings in their houses all the time.
    My mermaid is a part of the "Children of the ocean" club, so she can swim together with other mermaids.
    My vampires meet at Vlad's castle. They can be friendly or romantic with each other, but they should never make fun of themselves.
    My wellness-loving sim created a yoga club.
    The club system is such a cool instrument that fits almost anywhere! Maybe people are still associating "clubs" with nightclubs and parties?
  • Options
    JestTruJestTru Posts: 1,761 Member
    Island Living
    That's not to say it isn't a good pack bcuz it is a beautiful world and there is a lot of family game play when taking kids and toddlers to the beach. But it is the one pack that feels very limited as not all worlds are open water. Plus I think they could've done a lot better on mermaids. There should've been a way to dive on an active underwater lot.

It honestly feels a lot more like a GP in content than an EP.
    WbUrFQm.png
  • Options
    SIMileyFaceSIMileyFace Posts: 49 Member
    Get Together
    A lot of people are commenting that they're surprised people voted for Get Together...that is what I initially voted for, due to the fact that I didn't really get the clubs aspect.
    I have however found some threads with some awesome suggestions on ways to use clubs that I had never thought of...so I will give those a try and hopefully I will see the love that everyone else seems to have for get together :)
  • Options
    LustianiciaLustianicia Posts: 2,489 Member
    City Living
    I need to take back my original vote... :| 'City Living' is no longer the worst expansion pack... that title is officially going to "Eco Lifestyle".
    Favorite Packs
    Sims 1: Hot Date
    Sims 2: Seasons
    Sims 2: Happy Holiday Stuff
    Sims 3: Seasons
    Sims 3: 70's, 80's, & 90's Stuff
    Sims 4: Seasons
    Sims 4: Paranormal Stuff
    Sims 4: Strangerville Game Pack

78MB6Gb.jpg
  • Options
    auroraael14auroraael14 Posts: 988 Member
    City Living
    City living is my least favorite pack. I hate how they did apartments in this expansion, they had an opportunity to add cars but didn't and the city is just set dressing. No city to even explore.
    Check out my gallery for house builds! Username: aejp24
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,220 Member
    City Living
    City living, I don't hate the pack.I like the clothes, cons,karaoke bars, and food.But it's just a world pack.
  • Options
    DominicLaurenceDominicLaurence Posts: 3,398 Member
    Island Living
    They knew Eco Lifestyle was coming, right? They "could" have taken a couple of features out from Seasons, like all the gardening aspects and added Sulani instead, but only the world and the immediate beach stuff. Environmental mechanics of both Seasons and Island Living was easily fit in Eco Lifestyle.

'Island Living' could've been a game pack solely focused on the sea and underwater, diving, mermaids, maybe even scuba diving, all fleshed out. Geez, something like a tiny Atlantis, people would freak out of love.

The way is was made, we got something beautiful, yes, but shallow, very shallow.
    ID: StGerris
    Legacy Photomode