Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Various styles of magic

One of the first and most important things I wanted from a magic pack was different styles of magic (although I used to call them branches), and according to this tweet by SimGuruRomeo, we're getting four of them: Practical, Mischief and Untamed Magic, as well as Alchemy.

Mischief and Alchemy are pretty self-explanatory, I assume Practical Magic is things like filling needs and making chores do themselves, and Untamed... Not sure. Could have something to do with emotions, perhaps, or might be a stronger (but also harder to master) kind of magic that leaves a bigger impact on the world?

What do you think? Are you happy with these magic styles? Any plans on how to use them?

Comments

• Options
    BrinnBrinn Posts: 327 Member
    Maybe "Untamed" means something about using the raw power of elements, while "Mischief" is about mind-control.
  • Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    I don't know what they mean yet, but I am eager to find out!

Untamed is curious though....maybe it's a chaos thing and the caster tries to implement one spell, but another happens? Adding that little bit of randomness to the game lol. That might be kind of cool.
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    I'll admit, I was hoping for a more direct Elemental split, but I can see how the current schools track to the Four Classical Elements. (Practical for Earth, Alchemy for Water, Mischief for Air, Untamed for Fire)

With that in mind, Untamed is probably a lot like fire. It can be useful and helpful, but it can go out of control in a hurry and unexpectedly at that.
  • Options
    RememberJoyRememberJoy Posts: 1,139 Member
    Maybe untamed has something to do with the dueling we saw in the trailer? Just a possibility. Maybe weather magic falls into this category?
    I agree practical will probably be used for more mundane tasks like fixing objects or cleaning.
    Mischief of course is going to involve pranks such as booby trapping objects or making a sim lose their memory (I hope this ties into the mischief skill somehow).
    Alchemy, I wonder if this will be the same as brewing potions like in the trailer, or if it's another skill we haven't seen yet.

I'm honestly glad at the variety of magic, as it allows us to create a range of different types of spellcasters for our stories. If i really wanted to I could make an elf/fairy who specializes in mischief magic, or an earthy witch who mainly uses practical magic. A wizard in a tall tower (please include spiral stairs, please!) who concentrates of perfecting his alchemy skill, or (most likely for me) an ambitious spellcaster determined to master all four.

I'm so excited to explore this pack and I can't wait until September 10th!
  • Options
    MondayMonday Posts: 385 Member
    Untamed reminds me of Wild Mages from Dungeons and Dragons. Cast this great and excellent spell! It might succeed, a different spell might come out instead, or you might turn yourself into a squirrel!

It could be something like elemental, but I'd imagine it would be difficult to master and prone to unexpected outcomes. At least that's what I would hope for.
    a63ftuN.png
  • Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    Great ideas here so far! I definitely hope at least one of those styles includes elemental powers in some way, because my Elsa won't be Elsa without her ice magic. Would be cool if there was also a weather-changing spell for people who have Seasons.
  • Options
    12JEREMIA12JEREMIA Posts: 3,143 Member
    I wish we need light and darkness or else we'll never get one of those
  • Options
    AngelluluAngellulu Posts: 634 Member
    I really hope for Elemental magic! And fun spells. I love these comics, named W.I.T.C.H. and these girls have elemental magical powers, each their own, with 5th being energy so I want to recreate them
  • Options
    liliaethliliaeth Posts: 1,087 Member
    I like that none of the styles are hinted as inherently good or evil.
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Excited to try the different styles. Believe that this will make replaying spellcasters more rewarding for me.
  • Options
    kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
  • Options
    SimeterySimetery Posts: 66 Member
    A little sad you can't have good and bad spellcasters but I guess I can see how it would be a bit cliche to lump characters into good or bad.
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    So, apparently the girl in the yellow dress is named Grace Anansi. If she isn't a master of Mischief magic, someone seriously dropped the ball.
  • Options
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    So, apparently the girl in the yellow dress is named Grace Anansi. If she isn't a master of Mischief magic, someone seriously dropped the ball.

I think she is sage of mischeif, the green haired girl is sage of practical, and the black haired guy is untamed?
  • Options
    kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
    @Simetery you can have good and bad spellcasters, but that'll be based off traits, play-styles and quite possibly club rules. i like that all the powers seem to be usable no matter which 'path' you follow on the standard light/dark or good/evil thing

also, on the grace anansi thing, i figured the same about her being in charge of mischief magic, even though she's shown brewing a potion in the trailer... in a way, i love this, in a way i'm a bit disappointed (only disappointed because i was kind of hoping the mischief sage would be someone i didn't like so i could cheat-edit them into baron samedi)

i dunno if the black-haired guy would be a sage or not, though. he seemed awfully easy for the newbie to beat after just doing what i take to be his rite of ascension to become a spellcaster. i figure he might be another newbie, maybe a member of one of the two households in glimmerbrook
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    I would love it if Untamed magic had to do with animals somehow.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    kalaksed wrote: »
    @Simetery you can have good and bad spellcasters, but that'll be based off traits, play-styles and quite possibly club rules. i like that all the powers seem to be usable no matter which 'path' you follow on the standard light/dark or good/evil thing

also, on the grace anansi thing, i figured the same about her being in charge of mischief magic, even though she's shown brewing a potion in the trailer... in a way, i love this, in a way i'm a bit disappointed (only disappointed because i was kind of hoping the mischief sage would be someone i didn't like so i could cheat-edit them into baron samedi)

i dunno if the black-haired guy would be a sage or not, though. he seemed awfully easy for the newbie to beat after just doing what i take to be his rite of ascension to become a spellcaster. i figure he might be another newbie, maybe a member of one of the two households in glimmerbrook

You make a good point about the black haired guy! I know the gurus said that the sages live in/stay in the large house. Its possible the blonde guy is a sage!
  • Options
    simfriend1968simfriend1968 Posts: 578 Member
    I don’t think Grace Anasi is a Sage. At least I hope not; I hope she is a playable Sim. The green-haired witch looks like she could be though. I love the way she holds her hands together in the trailer. She looks powerful and potentially dark, so I am thinking she might be the Sage of Untamed or Mischief magic. There was a picture of released of three sims, one of whom had white or blond hair and was wearing a yellow dress. She looks like she could be a Sage (maybe of Practical magic). That could just be me (she makes me think of Helga Hufflepuff).

What I am hoping for is a variety of spells that we haven’t seen before from all the branches: transformation or transfiguration spells, conjuring, summoning and banishing spells, telekinesis spells and spells with permanent effects. Of course I hope there are a few weather spells (with cool animations) and fix-it spells, but I would rather not have the little cheaty spells that give minor buffs or are temporary. One of the problems with TS3 was that a lot of the spells were very short-lived. Magic should have a real weight to it in terms of cost and consequence.
  • Options
    @simfriend1968 If those sages are anything like other premade characters with specific roles (like Father Winter), you could probably just befriend and move any of them into your home, so they will become normal sims and new sages will be generated to take their places.

Now that you mention Helga Hufflepuff, though, I wonder if the four styles of magic are a reference to Hogwarts.
    Practical = Hufflepuff (seems like the most mundane and least powerful magic)
    Mischief = Slytherin (self-explanatory)
    Untamed = Gryffindor (probably the most flashy kind, like the Gryffindor kids)
    Alchemy = Ravenclaw (requires intelligence)

... Okay, maybe not, but I definitely want to play around with this idea in my game! :)
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    @simfriend1968 If those sages are anything like other premade characters with specific roles (like Father Winter), you could probably just befriend and move any of them into your home, so they will become normal sims and new sages will be generated to take their places.

Now that you mention Helga Hufflepuff, though, I wonder if the four styles of magic are a reference to Hogwarts.
    Practical = Hufflepuff (seems like the most mundane and least powerful magic)
    Mischief = Slytherin (self-explanatory)
    Untamed = Gryffindor (probably the most flashy kind, like the Gryffindor kids)
    Alchemy = Ravenclaw (requires intelligence)

... Okay, maybe not, but I definitely want to play around with this idea in my game! :)

What a good idea! I am glad that all branches seem fairly neutral, though, personally. One of the problems with the Hogwarts houses I always thought is that 3 were so obviously good while Slytherin was so obviously bad. (Near the end this was complicated a bit, luckily, with the heroes resorting to using an Unforgivable Curse (Imperius) and the inclusion of good Slytherins like Snape and Horace Slughorn).

I don’t mind that we won’t have good and evil witches, per se. In previous games that was pretty limiting for Sims because they couldn’t learn or use all of the spells. I like that these branches of magic seem to be morally neutral as categories. Arguably, it should be possible for a sim to use a Mischief or Untamed spell for a good or beneficial purpose, or a practical spell for a bad or harmful purpose. Of course, within the branches I hope that there are a few spells with positive or negative effects.

I do think it’s interesting that they have said magic won’t be a skill to master. That does make me wonder how all this will work. Usually skill levels have an effect on the abilities that are unlocked in a sim, giving a higher level of options to use, and their success rate. So obviously spells and potions won’t be unlocked based on level of magic. Perhaps a sim can learn or use them in any order? Or perhaps they get unlocked through a series of mini quests (I don’t think that is likely but I would love it if true)? It might also be the case that the success or failure rate of a sim with their spells depends on factors like emotional moods or needs, and not just on skill or experience.

It also seems like the branches of magic can be combined, which suggests that an individual spellcaster could learn to master them all. (Of course the skill tree could interfere with that if Sims are only able to use a set number of spells at one time, or if the curses drain or limit their powers in some way).
  • Options
    WolfNateWolfNate Posts: 2,340 Member
    They mentioned magic is akin to a skill tree like Vampires
    Occultism in Sims is family-friendly and should not be watered down to cater to realism players
  • Options
    WolfNate wrote: »

That is great because it allows a high level of customization and difference to exist between magic users. I do confess, however, to being a bit sad that our sims won’t get to sit around reading a magic skill book like they could with Vampiric Lore.

It would be interesting, though, if individual spells required a certain level of logic or fitness or cooking (or whatever) as well as a certain mood to be successful.
  • Options
    WolfNateWolfNate Posts: 2,340 Member
    That is great because it allows a high level of customization and difference to exist between magic users. I do confess, however, to being a bit sad that our sims won’t get to sit around reading a magic skill book like they could with Vampiric Lore.

It would be interesting, though, if individual spells required a certain level of logic or fitness or cooking (or whatever) as well as a certain mood to be successful.

All I know is this.

You get a spellbook that you can track your spells and potions. So it seems the skill tree isn't spells per se but abilities and passives and we have to learn the actual spells stead of 'buying' them off a list.
    Occultism in Sims is family-friendly and should not be watered down to cater to realism players
  • Options
    There are also no conflicting magic styles like back in TS2. A guru confirmed on Twitter that one single sim can master every magic power that there is. (Just please don't make me look for the tweet... I think it was posted in the thread about guru-sourced info.)
  • Options
    SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    WolfNate wrote: »

I haven't seen anything (yet) that would say there won't be a Spellcaster Lore book to learn from. Sure, there are Sages who can help with learning magical skill/spells and they're needed for a Sim to be turned into a Spellcaster unless you create them in CAS. But there still might be various ways to learn all the magical things.

As for the learning all the variations:

I'm looking forward to seeing what each of the variations entails!