Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What Are Some Good Rotation Rules You Have?

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    LostLambLostLamb Posts: 26 Member
    Everyone's answers are so interesting! I never thought about setting rules to my rotations
  • Options
    DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    I was doing 4 day rotations, but I'm moving up to a full week to get more done and give my sims more work days to progress their careers faster. I'm going to play Mon-Sun so if they do anything that might win an award during their week the Starlight Accolades will be at the end.

I rotate between 2 and 5 am. That way the house I rotate to will not start partway through a holiday (it will have ended at 2 am in the previous household), and will get that morning's share of produce (that spawn at 5 am).

I have aging off for the households I'm not actively playing because I like to experience every part of their lives.

I have changed my calendar to 28 day seasons and have at least one holiday each week. At the end of each rotation, I decide what order I'm going to play my houses in based on which seasons and holidays I would enjoy more with which households this time around.

I started this save with 1 CAS sim and I only play her children's households and a few sort of related occult households. Since I don't create any more sims, I don't have the problem of making too many extra households. The children have married various premade sims, and I've kept the number of in-laws down by having them marry sets of siblings.

I do have one retirement village for the in-laws to retire to so they don't live forever. Some of them move in with their children and make multi-generational households, and some move to the retirement village and spend their last weeks at club gatherings or on vacation.

Also, I have each of the family households in a different world, and have them focus on the content of different packs, to maximize variety.

My goal in this save is to complete every career, aspiration and collection with the first four generations. At least, everything from the base game and the packs that have been released to date. I can probably get all the aspirations, including any that come with Realms of Magic, by the time I assign one to all of the 3rd generation and their future spouses. Getting every branch of every career will require some of the 4th gen.

Right now I have 11 households, one each for my original sim's 9 children, the retirement village, and a second vampire household because there's one for the biological offspring and one for the vampiric offspring of my first vampire sim. I'll allow a few grandchildren to start new households as I acquire more worlds (don't have IL yet and we'll see what we get with magic...), and may eventually have a separate extra household for every occult.
  • Options
    MelpomenaMelpomena Posts: 207 Member
    edited August 2019
    I don't really play world's stories, I play one sim's story after another. I go through gameplay with different households. I have 70 households with 195 sims in it at the moment and about 350 npc. Some will died, new ones will come. Some of my households are relatives. I play 28 days a season. I don't rotate regularly. I play the family I feel like playing at the moment. In each households there is a particular sim that I will play, letting the others live their lives, except when needed I will control them, but only to organize things a little when it goes wrong. I play aging only with the played households. I try to keep track of time, but this is not my main purpose. I play characters, a kid, a mother, a sim and his career, every aspirations, every skills, etc. Every household has a different purpose. One sim has minimum of 4 coworkers in every career but I'll play just him for this career. I play clubs. My sims have family, friends, sometimes ennemies. With a sim I play herbolism, with another I'll play music writer (not in career) but as an independant, I play an archeologist, a vet, name it, I go through it all. My sims own restaurants, boutiques, vet cliniques. I play normal sims, I play occults. I go through all the gameplay offerd by the game. I do play little senarios like the black widow, the kleptomaniac, the divorced mother or father with kids, the rich, the poor. I make my own sims, I buiId most of the houses. I build all my venues. I use all the traits. I do all the achivements, not finished yet but coming to it.

It takes a lot of time, but that's the better way of playing for me. I rarely get bored.

Edit : I forgot to say that I keep track of each household by writing which sim I focus on and what I wish to achive, using the household description. Simple and easy to follow my progress.
    Post edited by Melpomena on
  • Options
    PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member
    I have played saves with up to about 10 households in rotation. I have kept detailed notes and photos in an online database. Keeping track of how much their lot is worth, household funds, traits, aspirations, career, etc. Usually rotating every week, on Sunday morning. But my database was getting to be a bit time-consuming, so I'm not really doing that as much. Trying to keep things a bit more simplified.
  • Options
    purplestarz2006purplestarz2006 Posts: 340 Member

Well, I can't really say that my rules are my rules, since I'm following a pre-established challenge, but here are the basic ones I follow:

1) I started with a completely blank save. I rolled a dice to determine how many households to create, as well as the number, ages, genders, aspirations, and traits of the Sims in them. (Names, appearances, and relationships were up to me.) From that point on, no more CAS. (I do use the gallery to find new townies every now and then if I find the game isn't generating the ages I need, but my Sims still have to meet and fall in love with them through normal gameplay.) I wound up creating 5 original households. I now have 30.

2) I play each house for 7 days. I switch at midnight on Sundays, unless I'm waiting for a baby to be born in which case I might wait an extra few hours. The houses are always played in the same order, and when Sims grow up and move out, their new house gets added to the end of the list. (They youngest child of the family inherits the house they grew up in, so I have to be careful to not match the youngest of two families together.)

3) Aging is on only for the active house, except when I'm playing the first house of each round. During that week, I turn on aging for unplayed Sims so the townies age a week too.

4) Traits and aspirations are both randomized as a Sim ages up. (Aspirations get randomized once when they grow to teen.)
    TranquilityCreekBannerMaskssmall.jpg
  • Options
    BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member
    I also have a notebook because I play so many households. It's nice to have a story for each house. Most live normal lives though.
    1.Aging off
    1.Each house plays for one sim week.
    3.Babies-teens are played for 2 sim weeks each but of course in the weekly rotation. young adults -elders has a longer life span.
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
  • Options
    RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member
    I don't have any rules, I switch households whenever I want to...
    I always play sims according to their character meaning not every sim can/wants to do everything, so when I want to do something like explore the jungle I have to switch to the household of my "curious adventurers", when I wanna play with music, have "gigs", do karaoke I have to switch to my musicians and so on, so I switch by what I want to do or/and if an idea strikes me for their story.
    If I had to stay for a certain amount of time before switching (even though there'd be nothing I'd want to do with that household at that moment) I'd get bored pretty quick.

I play with aging off so I got all the time I want.
    Gallery ID: ra7orrat

• Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    My only rotation rule is that I must have fun when I play. :)
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    Bearpal64Bearpal64 Posts: 1,117 Member
    I try to set some kind of guide for my rotation. Either a season change or when they reach the end of their life stage. Then I decide if I reset it with Potion of Youth.

I find it hard to let them age up. I find it hard to let them go. So silly lol.
  • Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    Hestia wrote: »
    I have almost 200 Sims under “My Households” within a single save and I play only one save. Each with their own stories and themes. Different types from family play to single adult, mixed and more...

I need to rotate often. Otherwise I get easily bored due to the lack of depth in gameplay, interactions between Sims, lack of traits, lack of careers and bare bone personalities.

I have a lot in my save too. About 160 I think. This is my long term save I've had almost since the beginning of S4. I play a sim and then create side characters for their story and then play that side character and then make new sims for their story and forget the original reason they were created and the original house gets lost in the mix!

And I love those original sims and why I created them. This attempt by me, is to get back to them, and play their stories/lives through. Some still need new content, but I can work with many of them with what has been added.

I've developed this save because I am creating MY sim world with MY sims. It's how I've played sims the original sims. Always my owns sims with intertwined lives. I've just let it get away from me. I'm trying to reign it in. lol

I laid in bed last night getting excited to get back to some of them and their stories.