My apologies if there is a thread somewhere already on this topic, but I couldn't find a recent one, and I've been wondering about it lately, so I thought I would post myself on this issue. Although a fan of the game, I am still interested in ideas for how the game can be improved in a variety of areas, and especially in the area of group activities. I define a group activity as an activity in which 3 or more sims can participate at the same time. Two of the best base game activities are large group conversations (which multitasking makes possible on a grander scale than previously, and which I really enjoy watching) and group meals, which, especially after Parenthood added place settings, and Seasons added Grand Meals, work really well (better than in previous games where they were a source of enormous frustration and I had to use mods even to get Sims to sit at the same table). Watching tv as a family is pretty good too, and much better with MH Stuff, where they can now watch films as well.
Admittedly, they have added some more good ones in various packs, but I feel that there is much more that could be done in this area. What are some group activities currently in game that you like and use a lot, and what are some potential group activities that are available to only two sims that you would like to see improved?
Here are some group activities currently in The Sims 4 that I like and use a lot:
1) Clubs. This is the biggest and best way for sims to do things together in groups. I particularly like the group dances at the nightclubs.
2) School projects. I love doing these in families and usually I can get everyone, including parents, grandparents, siblings, to lend a hand to the main child, and as a result I always try to do them.
3) Card games and Don't Wake the Llama. These seem to work well and allow conversation at the same time (as they should).
4) Bowling. This seems to work well, too, although I use a mod to shorten the waiting times between turns. Conversation happens between the sims while bowling at least.
5) Game console with the TV. I am glad they finally added this in City Living, and use it to have kids play together after school, to play online with absent friends and to have households or families play together.
6) Foosball table and darts. These came with Get Together and Clubs (I think) and are another group activity that is good for raising fun and social.
7) Snowball or mudball fights and throwing water balloons from Seasons. I am glad they added this back in but it doesn't seem to work quite as well as in previous games because the timing seems off. There seems to be too long a delay between sims throwing things at each other or something.
8) Singing carols in Seasons. This is just so darned cute and sounds pretty good too. I just wish there were more songs!
9) Sitting around a campfire, talking and doing various things (including roasting marshmallows, talking, singing folk songs).
10) Telling a group story/ Selvadoradan legend, ghost story or giving a lecture (from various packs). My sims seem to sit and listen to all of these.
11) Watching a live performance. I have a comedy club in which this is a major activity, and it seems to work pretty well with sims autonomously delivering monologues while the rest of the club watches and laughs. It gives so much fun that it risks causing hysteria if you are not careful. Stray sims will often join in as well adding to the immersion.
12) Watching a tree/ menorah/ kinara lighting as a family. Love having my sims do this, and it also looks really good as well as giving a solid mood boost and a nice moodlet.
13) Opening presents together from the present pile. I love that everyone, even toddlers, can do this. I usually make my present piles enormous so that everyone in a big household can join in.
14) Excavation in Jungle Adventures. After level six in Archeology, Sims can establish an excavation site in which multiple sims can dig for artifacts at the same time. I usually do this with only two sims, but I once added a third and it seemed to work.
15) Basketball. This actually doesn't work as well as I would like. I wish it were more like a real game even if I do have a mod that improves it.
There are probably more current group activities, but that is all I can think of at the moment. I'd love to hear others' ideas for any group activities that you think could work better (having all sims sit down together to watch a wedding, for instance!). As well, what are some entirely new activities, or group activities from previous versions of the game, that you would like to see in The Sims 4? Thanks in advance!