Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Add quests / story mode to the game

Dexter_XBADexter_XBA Posts: 18 Member
edited July 2019 in The Sims 4 Ideas Corner
I think it’d be great to have (optional) quests / a story mode in TS4 similar to The Sims Life Stories / Pet Stories / Castaway Stories. The console version of The Sims 3 Pets for console (Xbox 360) also had a great story mode divided in several chapters that had your Sims w/ Pets explore abandoned lighthouses, bake special recipes, etc. Even The Sims FreePlay has quests.

The main reason why I want this is to have some form of progression and a narrative experience. Sometimes I‘m bored in live mode because I don’t know what to do with my Sims and feel like I’ve seen everything in the game. Having different stories would help keep the game fresh. I think the Strangerville EP was already a step in the right direction because it included a mystery to solve.
Post edited by Dexter_XBA on

Comments

• Options
    ZzMANzZZzMANzZ Posts: 72 Member
    Great idea. Sometimes the live can get stale. I love the Island Living, but I would like to see other sides, new stories
  • Options
    jadonbakesjadonbakes Posts: 294 Member
    This reminds me a little of the Strangerville mystery aspiration. I could definitely go for an entire pack that's just mysteries for sims to solve.
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    I would love this but, I would want the sims to follow a narrative I wrote, not someone else's pre made storyline.

So if they patched or made a pack where we could design quests, Boss fights and the have our sims play it out I'd be totally up for that.

Now that Magic is (Finally) Coming, And Hopefully soon Werewolves will follow. There are certain scenarios I want to create. Certain boss fights I want to fight. and it would be so cool to see my characters as those bosses rather than pre made bosses
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    Marduc_PlaysMarduc_Plays Posts: 416 Member
    Whole Questlines or rather playable stories should be used sparsely imho, and if, should be designed from the standpoint of replayability. Thats wat vexed me the most in the Strangerville addon, it was new, innovative, but had no replayability inside the same worldsave for me, 'cause how many Heroes of Strangerville can there be?

What i really liked were the opportunities in Sims 3, or more like the system behind it. More or less random Quests that popped up, related to career, a skill or a special event, that added to the everyday life, but didn't interrupt or break my story. And you could always decline or quit.
    Parcour - the art of jumping to conclusions.
  • Options
    JosieAnglinJosieAnglin Posts: 591 Member
    edited July 2019
    Sidenote - I really wish they would release an updated version of sims castaway! That game was SO fun.
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,757 Member
    no thank you, Sims is a sandbox game, if you want a RPG go play Sims Medival or some other RPG game
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    Lady_BalloraLady_Ballora Posts: 786 Member
    I agree with MadamLee 100 %. Keep the Sims series as a sandbox game,EA...we can alwats go to Final Fantasy and Mario RPG for story modes. Heck,we could even go to Bendy or Cuphead to play an RPG-like game. The Sims is not an RPG,and it will never be an RPG.
    Why do you hide inside these walls?
  • Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    No thank you. I play the Sims to create my own stories. I don't want my worlds to be affected by a story, like Strangerville.
  • Options
    Dexter_XBADexter_XBA Posts: 18 Member
    edited July 2019
    MadameLee wrote: »
    no thank you, Sims is a sandbox game, if you want a RPG go play Sims Medival or some other RPG game

I wouldn’t want an RPG either. I’d like optional quests similar to the Sims 3 opportunities as mentioned by Marduc_Plays. For sandbox play it’d be perfect if we were able to create and share our own opportunities / quest lines.
    As mentioned in the OP nearly every Sims game has had some sort of quests / story mode in the past without it feeling like an RPG.

• Options
    ddd994ddd994 Posts: 418 Member

Lol, love how someone has a genuine suggestion for some actual new gameplay for this game (which let’s be real there’s been plenty of outcry for), and it’s drowned out by the usual entitlement lot. Read what the op said guys, OPTIONAL story elements. And anyone sat there comparing strangerville to final fantasy or any other RPG, gurrrrl?! Pass me what you’ve been smoking!?? Like honestly this forum cracks me up so hard some times! What are aspirations if they aren’t goals and quests for your sim to complete? Are we boycotting aspirations next? And btw the op even gives examples of previous Sims iterations that have story modes, so nothing new to the franchise (for all those saying that’s not what the sims is about). You don’t own the sims just coz you bought all their dlc. I hate when people go on like they are stock holders or something.. gross. I’m surprised a game like this doesn’t encourage people to be more open minded honestly lol
    Ps Grand Theft Auto is considered one of the more popular SANDBOX games, and pretty sure it’s chogged full of quests and storylines. Ain’t nobody comparing GTA V to final fantasy either lol!! 🤣🤣😇
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    We have Strangerville for that, and honestly I didn't like it. Played it once, never more.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    AHolyToiletAHolyToilet Posts: 870 Member
    edited July 2019
    I think it's clear from Strangerville that the Gurus are not writers, so stories from them are likely not going to be any better. And the effect of a story may be lost in the game because events your Sim must complete are summed up as to-do lists in the top left corner. If anything, asssuming TS5 is worth its salt and goes back to the roots of what made the Sims great in the first place (borrowing and improving upon many elements in TS2, TS3, and TS4, but mostly the first two) like other games have been doing successfully (Resident Evil, Devil May Cry, Soul Calibur), then a "Create Your Own Story" mode (as in something optional, just in case you, reader, are like the posters above who thought the OP meant to replace the sandbox gameplay) could... possibly work.

But honestly, I have major doubts for any of the above to become reality, so.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    edited July 2019
    We need Maxis to create enough possibilities so that we can create stories, situations and builds using our own imaginations so that means more traits, expressions and Sim character building.

I did enjoy StrangerVille though and the decorations and build objects I use all the time everywhere now. Some help with the Off the Grid vibe!.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,963 Member
    edited July 2019
    meanwhile I'd love some of the mysteries and quests and i really think game could deal with some
    I think they should always be optional

i think it be great if it was triggered by player using certain object or going to certain lot or something
    and well if ur not into quests you could just ignore the objects that start the quest and continue playing sandbox
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    edited July 2019
    Simburian wrote: »
    We need Maxis to create enough possibilities so that we can create stories, situations and builds using our own imaginations so that means more traits, expressions and Sim character building.

I have to agree. I enjoy open and versatile sandbox play and creating my own stories and so I would prefer the creators to focus on adding/improving features to support that. Honestly Strangerville for me was a step in the wrong direction, although I do like the world and build objects. I do not want quests as for me personally this is not what The Sims is about, although I would welcome more aspirations, particularly ones related to skills or retail/restaurants.
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    I don't think premade work all that well in the main game but some side games like the Castaway one or The Sims Medieval would work well. Having said that, I did wish the building elements in the medieval game were a bit better, and you could play families more effectively.

On the other hand, the sim I sent to solve the Strangerville mystery died so I am still a little gutted about that. I'll play the story again, one day.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    sueplayssimssueplayssims Posts: 126 Member
    Quests etc aren't my kind of thing. I prefer seeing where gameplay takes me but I might be interested in trying something different and playing in that style if (as the OP has suggested) quests are optional.

I like making my own stories and possibilities more at this point
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    I enjoyed the Strangerville plot line, and the first time through I even did it around raising a family and playing through the Detective Career. (Okay, it took forever to do, but I did it.) I'd like to have the *option* to do more stories. I'd absolutely love to have the ability to write my own quests that have mechanical impact and rewards of some kind - as opposed to just storylines in my head, which is how I'm playing now.