Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

When do your elders step back?

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    yenotraccoonyenotraccoon Posts: 1 New Member
    I normally keep them around until they die. It's only been recently that I've started moving them out when the heir marries letting the younger generation take over.
  • Options
    coolsim9999999coolsim9999999 Posts: 5,101 Member
    edited July 2019
    Before I turned aging off, I built a house across the street from my main family's house. Elders went there very shortly after they got a message telling them to get their affairs in order. First, the family had a send-off breakfast, lunch or dinner and everyone chatted with and hugged the elder or elders being sent over to the "nursing home." Of course, I always kept an unrelated young adult Sim in that house to pay bills. I really don't like to watch Sims die, and I started on normal lifespan, then went to long, and now, again has been off since mid 2016.
    4kkjdXo.png

• Options
    divanthesimmerdivanthesimmer Posts: 1,462 Member
    I like my families being close-knit, so everyone stays in the house until they pass away. I'll never move an elder out and I also like playing them in their last days doing everything they want to do. I also like keeping everyone's tombstones in the basement (like a collection), lol.
    phULnBI.png
    Check out my SimLit blog here: https://ageekylegacy.wordpress.com/
    Follow me on Twitter @divanthesimmer
    Follow me on Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/dashboard/blog/divanthesimmer
    Origin ID: divanthesimmer
  • Options
    Aliciadestiny91Aliciadestiny91 Posts: 10 New Member
    I mostly don't play with the elders, and just focus on the other sims. but that's mostly because I'm busy with a challenge now I guess
  • Options
    AiviraAivira Posts: 40 Member
    In small houses (like ones I created at the beginning with only 20k simoleons) I move out the younger generation, but if I have a large house I'm really attached to (especially ones i've hand-built) then I tend to keep the younger generation in the house with the elders and wait 'til they die. That sounds kinda sad.. Oopsie
  • Options
    alian_queenalian_queen Posts: 5 New Member
    I liked having the grandma around because she had the renaissance objective and helped around the house instead of calling a babysitter. My story line was that she was a matriarch to the family. Even though she had the neurotic trait. I don't mind having a family of 5 or 6 live together because
    1. It makes it more interesting
    2. I have them all work and earn $$$ and
    3. I just add beds so I could have one big family in one roof and not get bored playing 1 sim
    Also have grandma/grandpa go on dates if they are single or they just have time to do other things, too lol
  • Options
    DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    In my legacy-like save, I always had the youngest child as the heir and I didn't use much potion of youth so the elders didn't last too long. Over time as I enlarged that house I had two master bedrooms, so the new heir and spouse could have their own without kicking the parents out, and then the older generation's room would get passed on to the grandchild heir.

Currently I have the main sim of my new save and the men she had children with each living with one of their children, and the rest of the households have no elders. It's a little different in each household so I don't get bored. Athena lives downstairs while her heir and spouse and child live upstairs. One of her exes married Mila Munch, and I made that little separate house on her lot into a master bedroom for them while the next generation raises a family in the main house.

I've also been on a kick of marrying in children from the premade families, and I age up the parents and move them into my retirement village when I feel it's time. They just do their own thing as elders, mostly club outings and romantic occasions.
  • Options
    HestiaHestia Posts: 1,997 Member
    I always make sure that each and every member of the household I play has a role in the stories I’m creating, no matter their age.
    wB2Zykl.jpg