Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Freelancing Off-Grid

Is anyone working a freelance career while living off-grid? If so, I'd love to hear your experiences with this combination. Do you just go to a library in another world to do the work? Thanks!
Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:

Comments

• Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,973 Member
    I haven’t been to one while living off the grid, but I would certainly assume they would since off the grid is a lot trait, unless the library has the off the grid trait too. I also heard that laptops work for a little while while on an off the grid lot.
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,429 Member
    SheriSim57 wrote: »
    I haven’t been to one while living off the grid, but I would certainly assume they would since off the grid is a lot trait, unless the library has the off the grid trait too. I also heard that laptops work for a little while while on an off the grid lot.

I heard the same about laptops before the patch was out but couldn't get them to work in my game. Has anyone actually tried to use laptops off grid?
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited June 2019
    @Atreya33 Laptops don't work off-grid.

I placed a Library in the town for off-grid Sims to use... and added an outdoor bathtub for dog washing. There are a few different 20x20 libraries built for that lot in the Gallery.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    I really don't know whether to add a library to Sulani or not. For those of you who have, does it attract a pile of sims from other worlds?

@SheriSim57 you can't make a library with the off the grid trait. It can only be assigned to residential or generic lots.
  • Options
    Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    I really don't know whether to add a library to Sulani or not. For those of you who have, does it attract a pile of sims from other worlds?

@SheriSim57 you can't make a library with the off the grid trait. It can only be assigned to residential or generic lots.

Mine library does not!! I think restaurants, night clubs and cafes do though.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member

It attracted clubs that are set to "any library" but otherwise, no.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,429 Member
    @Atreya33 Laptops don't work off-grid.

I placed a Library in the town for off-grid Sims to use... and added an outdoor bathtub for dog washing. There are a few different 20x20 libraries built for that lot in the Gallery.

Thank you for confirming about the laptops. I wish they were usable.
  • Options
    MaeglinMaeglin Posts: 4 New Member
    My first try with the off-grid lot trait was as an independent author, rags to riches style. The library is exactly how I pulled that off, and that gives some opportunity to fill the social need as well.
  • Options
    WaitWhatYTWaitWhatYT Posts: 512 Member

There is a hidden trait in the game, trait_islanderculture_islander, given to game-generated sims in Sulani that "makes" them a native, and the game seems to ensure that only / mostly just sims with this trait are seen roaming around the island. It even seems to generate NPCs for other worlds (i.e. celebrities, librarians, etc.) with this trait, who "work" or whatever outside of Sulani then show up around Sulani when the game needs NPCs in the background.
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    My least favorite part is that computers don’t work. Is there a mod for this?

I mean I understand why they did it but it’s such a nuisance.

I have a Sim who is a dog breeder with 4 dogs. He just earns money by encouraging his dogs to mate and then selling the puppies. I wanted him to live off the grid but you have to use a computer in order to sell a pet. So every time a puppy was born, I had him take his laptop and the puppy to a park, put the laptop on the table, and sell the pet. Then I hate to wait around for the person to show up and sometimes they’d give the pop up bubble that they couldn’t find the puppy. Idk it was all kinds of weird.

Or maybe someone can make a mod so that you can do more things with your phone since the computer doesn’t work?